• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What does P5R stands for?

• Persona 5 Racing All Night

Votes: 76 26.5%
  • Persona 5 Return of Teddie

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Persona 5 RSteak

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 119 41.5%
  • Shinjiro was the best Persona character and here's my 250 pages long essay about why.

Votes: 31 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also sega stated that p5 is one of their most successful acquired IP's. I imagine they'd want it on Switch as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an obsolete point of view, especially after looking at how Atlus/SEGA strategies have changed during 2018.

They changed so much that they announced that their next big thing, Shin Megami Tensei V, is exclusive to a single platform rather than embracing the multiplatform hypothesis you're dreaming of.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The OP said that.

Atlus is not publishing on platform X because Platform X is not doing well in Japan.

This is an obsolete point of view, especially after looking at how Atlus/SEGA strategies have changed during 2018.
Well i def. dont agree with the OPs stance after how much P5 sold worldwide. Doubt they dont care about those western market.
The PS4 version of P5 was likely also added because of the sales potential in the west.

We also saw them announce a SMT V western release very early - they clearly care for the global market.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And I'm telling you that I do not believe the make decisions only based on the japanese market when there is a huge market overseas.

The market in JPN doesn't need it. They make their sales simply on consoles, playststion and Nintendo. They sell well on that for a niche company.

It wasn't even until recently Atlus began blowing up (with persona 5's huge success). Before then they were niche and even bankrupt at one point. Restructure may be a thing but it's not going to be instant.

We might see a persona title outside the dominate platform in JPN, but it won't happen anytime soon. Once again it all depends on the market. Why fix something that isn't broken out there, especially after hitting gold with P5?

Just because you and others outside JPN want it for X device, doesn't mean it's best for Atlus JPN in their own region. You are essentially asking them to send their game to die on a platform that the market in JPN that has been proven to not work well at all for them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The market in JPN doesn't need it. They make their sales simply on consoles, playststion and Nintendo. They sell well on that for a niche company.

It wasn't even until recently Atlus began blowing up (with persona 5's huge success). Before then they were niche and even bankrupt at one point. Restructure may be a thing but it's not going to be instant.

We might see a persona title outside the dominate platform in JPN, but it won't happen anytime soon. Once again it all depends on the market. Why fix something that isn't broken out there, especially after hitting gold with P5?

Exactly. They took so many years to develop Persona 5 on a single platform initially, and people are expecting them to be on all front both locally and on the western market ? Ridiculous. Atlus is not that big of a company.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Lets not forget that outside of the exception of the PSV - the systems that performed well in Japan usually are the ones that do well on a global scale as well. Its not really that big of a difference.
Again, you are strenghtening my point: they are taking into considerations platforms (see Steam) which are prominelty strong outside of Japan.
But there isnt a single Steam Atlus release lol - this doesnt add up.
If Steam isnt a thing now - you can imagine how far off Xbox must be.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Honestly, I think any Japanese 3rd party publisher with an overseas branch is straight up leaving money on the table by not having XB1 versions of their games. Making product decisions based on the local market is fine, but when localizing it and shipping it overseas, you're simply not reaching as many consumers as you should be by ignoring such a significant portion of the consumer base. Of course Atlus doesn't "need" to put Persona on XB1, but they'd benefit from it.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
But there isnt a single Steam Atlus release lol - this doesnt add up.
If Steam isnt a thing now - you can imagine how far off Xbox must be.

I know. I was referring to the fact that in the past 12/18 months there has been a HUGE amount of japanese-developed games published on Steam: just SEGA published Bayonetta, Vanquish and Yakuza.

This to say that it makes perfect sense for a japanese company to publish on platforms which are not very strong in Japan.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Oh you sweet summer child.

I wouldn't expect a Persona 6 announcement anytime soon.

Why not? If it's on the same engine as P5 I don't see why announcement 3 years after the last game released as being "too soon" at all. Look at the pattern between the series, each mainline entry released 2-3 years after the last, only difference was that P5 development was halted since the team was making Catherine, this time Hashino created another team and left most of the Persona team to make the next entry. Now, knowing Atlus, they will make P6 for PS4 and then make a "new edition" (like P3P, PF: Golden and this upcoming P5: R) on next gen consoles. That would maximise sales returns, so it would make business sense for them to get P6 out sooner rather than later.

Or maybe they are making P6 on a new engine again, guess we'll see, but regardless Persona Studio have been quiet for a long time now and it's about time they released some more info than just the usual "we're making stuff for the mid term and the long term".

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just looking forward to a big blowout of ATLUS games in general next year - Shin Megami Tensei 5, Persona 5 Re-release, possibly Persona 6 (it will have been 3 years since P5 in Japan in 2019), Vanillaware's 13 Sentiniels, Hashino's new game. Bring it on!
You might as well give up hope on Persona 6. It took them 5 years (give or take because they created an engine for it) to make P5 and the Persona 3-5 main team are currently working on a new IP which started in late 2016. Which mean we might be looking at a nice 7-8 year wait until we get our hands on another main line Persona game. Then again, this is the post Sega/Atlus world now, I'm sure we won't actually have to wait that long if P6 is handled by another team. But I'm not gonna hold my breath for even a second...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? If it's on the same engine I don't see why announcement 3 years after the last game released as being "too soon" at all. Look at the pattern between the series, each mainline entry released 2-3 years after the last, only difference was that P5 development was halted since the team was making Catherine, this time Hashino created another team and left most of the Persona team to make the next entry. Now, knowing Atlus, they will make P6 for PS4 and then make a "new edition" (like P3P, PF: Golden and this upcoming P5: R) on next gen consoles. That would maximise sales returns, so it would make business sense for them to get P6 out sooner rather than later.

Or maybe they are making P6 on a new engine again, guess we'll see, but regardless Persona Studio have been quiet for a long time now and it's about time they released some more info than just the usual "we're making stuff for the mid term and the long term".

Atlus is currently developping:
- Shin Megami Tensei V
- Project Re:Fantasy
- Persona 5 R
- Etrian Odyssey Next
- The new project of the director of #TMS
- Between 3 and 7 new Persona 5 spinoffs

They're a 210 man studio. All of those games are for HD consoles.
At absolute best Persona 6 is merely in pre-production right now.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I couldn't finish P5 on PS4... But if it's coming to Switch, I feel like I'll beat the whole thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Should clear up a few misconceptions here.

1. There isn't a deal between Atlus or Sony that keeps Persona on PlayStation consoles.
2. Persona 6 is in production and is part of a pipeline of Persona titles that are coming along, as confirmed by Kazuhisa Wada. If and when there is a Persona 6, it most likely won't have the same leads (Hashino, Soejima and Meguro), especially as Hashino has stepped down from the P-Studio entirely and confirmed he would not work on Persona 6.
3. In various consumer surveys in Japan, including those packaged with Persona titles, Atlus asked if fans wanted specific Persona titles (e.g. an action RPG, a shooter, a P5 updated release) as well as what platform they'd like to play it on most. In those surveys, Atlus did include options for the "Nintendo Switch" and "PC" respectively, so they definitely are listening when it comes to Persona on Switch or PC, although I highly doubt we'll see a Persona on the latter for quite some time.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Again, you are strenghtening my point: they are taking into considerations platforms (see Steam) which are prominelty strong outside of Japan.

I'm not strengthened anything. You are being selective in choosing quotes and disregarding everything else.

You mentioned restructure, that's literally not needed in the JPN market for steam and Xbox. Will it happen one day? Who knows. Currently though it won't.

Look at Sega, they barely moved yakuza 0 to steam this year. It sold about 200K (give or take from last figures I saw). Is that good? Depends on the market. Most likely it was a failure in JPN. Sega will still support it regardless, however....

That itself may have detered bring persona to steam. Just because there is some demand for a PC release, it isn't in the home region. Sales and the market has proven it.

Look at the most recent numbers of consoles moved in Japan, namely Xbox. They stopped releasing numbers for a reason. Xbox wasn't selling in Japan. A quick google search shows they didn't even top 100K Units. It's basically a dead console out there.

If somehow restructure in sales is successful (and here is the huge point and honestly I want to drive this home because this the main point) in JAPAN, for both steam and Xbox, don't expect any sort of release from Atlus (still a niche company) to those platforms in Japan.

That in turn makes sure that any region outside JPN will never see them outside other platforms besides PlayStation and Nintendo. They sell well there so they stay there, as their market dictates.

There has been a ton of threads and conversation on this topic for a long time. Google will show that too.

I hold Atlus as one of my favorite devs, so I done the time to research a ton on them.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an article from earlier this year:
https://gematsu.com/2018/01/job-listing-suggests-atlus-developing-ps4-high-end-action-game
Maybe atlus made a deal with sony that persona will become a multiplatform franchise and sony will get an action game franchise now as an exclusive.
Because there's nothing like telling consumers that you really want them to buy a product on another system, but they're not good enough for another one in that series at the same time. Ain't gonna happen. Besides Sony didn't sign Atlus to make Persona 5.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You might as well give up hope on Persona 6. It took them 5 years (give or take because they created an engine for it) to make P5 and the Persona 3-5 main team are currently working on a new IP which started in late 2016. Which mean we might be looking at a nice 7-8 year wait until we get our hands on another main line Persona game. Then again, this is the post Sega/Atlus world now, I'm sure we won't actually have to wait that long if P6 is handled by another team. But I'm not gonna hold my breath for even a second...

this image will never not make me laugh

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
that's what i'm saying. with dlc being an option too, they have no excuse of not putting the new content on ps4 as well

The reason would be they think they can make more money from a new full rrp switch version with new content than a PS4 dlc expansion at a fraction of the price. That or, if nintendos played their cards right, atlus agreed to develop something extra for persona 5 switch exclusively as part of the Joker in smash deal.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason would be they think they can make more money from a new full rrp switch version with new content than a PS4 dlc expansion at a fraction of the price. That or, if nintendos played their cards right, atlus agreed to develop something extra for persona 5 switch exclusively as part of the Joker in smash deal.
but won't they be losing money from fans who aren't interested in switch? if it comes to both i think it's safe to say it'll sell more on switch (because new players and players looking to do a new play through on a handheld) but there's still a lot of people who would want the new content on ps4.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Put Persona on Nintendo systems and Etrian Odyssey/SMT on Playstation systems Atlus. You'll be doing internet discussion groups a huge favor.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
but won't they be losing money from fans who aren't interested in switch? if it comes to both i think it's safe to say it'll sell more on switch (because new players and players looking to do a new play through on a handheld) but there's still a lot of people who would want the new content on ps4.
Has Atlus ever cared ?

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
They'll first have to find a proper way to continue the Etrian Odyssey series without touchscreen lol

But I think the whole exclusivity thing is mostly a resource issue. A lot of Japanese game companies are understaffed.

System specific control quirks can always be worked around no matter what we think(see ZombiU, Tearaway, etc.) but in my 8 years of using GAF/Era it feels like most discussion around Atlus is PS users wanting SMT, Nintendo users wanting Persona and PC users wanting either. I get that a lot of RPG companies are small and teams probably get comfortable working with one system. It's still surprising that the same team that bothered to make Catherine multi plat didn't make an Xbox One version of P5 at least. Maybe Cath was the failed experiment.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
For the HUGE SUCKERS who played this game, what additions or changes do you most want to see to P5R? I hear mostly praise for the game but many say it is too long or drags on.
-Revised translation
-Re-edited script (the game repeats the same lines over and over)
-New palace (dungeon)
-Reduce the restricted days (days that the game only allows you to play story content)
-New party member (Togo it is)

Basically removing the repetitive content and replacing it with good one. The game doesn't need to be longer, it needs to remove some things that hurt the pacing a lot, and replace them with interesting content.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
System specific control quirks can always be worked around no matter what we think(see ZombiU, Tearaway, etc.) but in my 8 years of using GAF/Era it feels like most discussion around Atlus is PS users wanting SMT, Nintendo users wanting Persona and PC users wanting either. I get that a lot of RPG companies are small and teams probably get comfortable working with one system. It's still surprising that the same team that bothered to make Catherine multi plat didn't make an Xbox One version of P5 at least. Maybe Cath was the failed experiment.
Multiplatform was the hype in the early years of the PS3/360 generation. Everyone was going multiplatform. Atlus tried it, Catherine underperformed, and the hype was over, so that's why they went PS3/PS4 instead of PS3/PS4/XBO with Persona 5.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has Atlus ever cared ?
i don't know, i guess it's hard to imagine them not caring to that degree. we should find out soon since the announcement is coming.

Persona 5 isn't built in UE4 tho. And while they're using that engine to develop SMTV, I don't think all teams are working with it yet.
i wasn't talking about atlus or persona, someone said "the whole exclusivity thing is mostly a resource issue. A lot of Japanese game companies are understaffed", seems like with big engines getting used more in japan doing a port isn't going to a big project any more (for most devs).

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Atlus changes platforms for expanded sequels all the time, including for both prior persona games. There is of course persona 3:fes as an example of it happening in the same platform, but that's an outlier. atlus has a system that works for them (make game, later do updated rerelease on another piece of hardware with some extra exclusive content to sweeten the deal), and I just don't see why you'd assume they would change tactic now.

Yes, maybe they could make it dlc, but I would easily assume they want people to buy the full version on switch rather than a potential dlc which is a fraction of the price.

Plus if they have a marketing agreement with Nintendo, that could easily outperform any losses from not making a Sony version.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Plus if they have a marketing agreement with Nintendo, that could easily outperform any losses from not making a Sony version.
Considering the Game Awards Joker reveal (including the new anime trailer for Joker), Sakurai going to the Atlus place to do some interview... it seems likely that Nintendo and ATLUS have some big agreement, something more than a single Smash newcomer.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
i wasn't talking about atlus or persona, someone said "the whole exclusivity thing is mostly a resource issue. A lot of Japanese game companies are understaffed.", seems like with big engines getting used more in japan doing a port isn't going to a big project any more (for most devs).
Oh, you're definitely right about that. Arc System Works was one of the first companies in Japan to start using Unreal Engine, and now they reap the benefits from that. Nowadays, almost all of Bandai Namco is working with the engine, Capcom and Nintendo (and Atlus as well) have used it for some projects, but there are still some companies that are using other tech, such as Spike Chunsoft and Nihon Falcom. I hope multiplatform development will become the norm as these companies will adapt toward UE4 development.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Hashino's studio is NOT the Persona Studio though. They're separate. Hashino established his own studio so he doesn't make Persona anymore.

Atlus is currently developping:
- Shin Megami Tensei V
- Project Re:Fantasy
- Persona 5 R
- Etrian Odyssey Next
- The new project of the director of #TMS
- Between 3 and 7 new Persona 5 spinoffs

They're a 210 man studio. All of those games are for HD consoles.
At absolute best Persona 6 is merely in pre-production right now.

I really fail to see how what other development teams are up to within Atlus effects P6's development (which will take precedence over the other series since it's the money maker).

Pretty sure the TMS director (and the very tiny team within Atlus, who also made Devil Survivor) folded into the SMT5 team to join the MegaTen vets and the new hires from SMTIV: Apocalypse's development.

No offence but those other series aren't a priority to Atlus compared to the next mainline Persona. They just released a buttload of Persona spin offs, I think those development resources will now be put into full scale Persona 6 development. And that's why Atlus has multiple development teams. They don't all work on SMT or Persona exclusively, others work on other IPs like Etrian Odyssey and Hashino's new IP. They hired new people to work on SMTV and Hashino hired new people to join his newly established studio, so they've expanded. Like I said, it's been 3 years since Persona 5's Japanese release. Not like they just released Persona 5 a year ago now. They'll be in full development phase soon (if not already) for P6. Don't kid yourself, Atlus will not sit P5's success out for that long. If it's being made on P5's engine, expect it sooner than you think.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atlus changes platforms for expanded sequels all the time, including for both prior persona games. There is of course persona 3:fes as an example of it happening in the same platform, but that's an outlier. atlus has a system that works for them (make game, later do updated rerelease on another piece of hardware with some extra exclusive content to sweeten the deal), and I just don't see why you'd assume they would change tactic now.
me and several other people have already said why. this time is different than pretty much all their enhanced ports (persona or non-persona) because
a, it's coming while the original system is alive and well (so unlike all their ps1, ps2 or ps3 or ds enhanced ports)
b, this time the system also supports dlc, so even if the physical version is switch exclusive, there's no reason the content can't be offered as an upgrade to current owners

this is the only way it would make sense imo. if they can get nintendo to publish/market the game outside of japan, they have a lot to gain.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
there's no reason the content can't be offered as an upgrade to current owners

The reason would be, if they choose to do so, that they have built a successful business model explicitly on not selling upgraded versions to the same exact audience, done so by targeting different hardware.

Yes, technically the biggest audience is gained by releasing on every possible platform, but that's not atlus business model and never has been. They didn't do that for the original p5 release either, and I cannot see the basis for assuming they're going to change tactic yet, beyond it being a thing you want.
Most everything they make is exclusive to one companies line of hardware, and I would be entirely unsurprised if persona 5 R continues that same pattern.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
me and several other people have already said why. this time is different than pretty much all their enhanced ports (persona or non-persona) because
a, it's coming while the original system is alive and well (so unlike all their ps1, ps2 or ps3 or ds enhanced ports)
b, this time the system also supports dlc, so even if the physical version is switch exclusive, there's no reason the content can't be offered as an upgrade to current owners

this is the only way it would make sense imo. if they can get nintendo to publish/market the game outside of japan, they have a lot to gain.

No cheaper DLC upgrade path would be the way to go if they want people to spend 60 bucks again and make the jump. Its not like SE is going to release XI S content as DLC is either - they see it as a new version and want fans and new players to open their wallets. Thats how these releases work.

Second point, as you mentioned....if Nintendo is providing them with publishing/distribution they are gonna have quite the safety net in terms of performance. Joker wouldnt be part of Smash and Nintendos marketing if they werent to benefit strongly from P5R being a Smash hit on Switch,

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User Warned: Portbegging
Honestly, i want SMT V on PS4 more than i want an updated version of P5

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
there's no reason the content can't be offered as an upgrade to current owners
There's one: a DLC will be cheaper than an enhanced version. Hardcore Persona fans will double-dip anyway, and not so many people will replay a 100 hours game to see some new content. Also, an agreement with Nintendo is another possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.