• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What does P5R stands for?

• Persona 5 Racing All Night

Votes: 76 26.5%
  • Persona 5 Return of Teddie

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Persona 5 RSteak

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 119 41.5%
  • Shinjiro was the best Persona character and here's my 250 pages long essay about why.

Votes: 31 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I really do hope these are ports. I just started playing the PS4 version, and like many others in this thread, I'm not starting over such a long game for a few enhancements, no matter how substantial.

The enhanced versions are generally more like dlc btw. P3P had an entire female MC with her own unique social link romance options, P3FES had a whole different scenario. P4G also had a whole new scenario about Marie who didn't even exist in P4.

So might wanna consider that.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I really do hope these are just straight up ports.

I just started playing the PS4 version, and like many others in this thread, I'm not starting over such a long game if Atlus releases an enhanced version, no matter how substantial it turns out to be. Though it will be really disappointing not to play the 'ultimate' edition of the game.

Why didn't you wait ? A new version of P5 has been rumored for quite some time now.

P3P had an entire female MC with her own unique social link romance options

You could also control each character during fights.

AVtechNICK

Dec 13, 2017
009-boxart-1533526810895_1280w.jpg
It's basically the same if I said something like "Atlus released Revelations: Persona on PC back in the days, there's a Persona 4 characters in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle on PC and there's a Joker suit in Sonic Forces on PC. OMG PERSONA 5 ON PC IS IMMINENT".

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's basically the same if I said something like "Atlus released Revelations: Persona on PC back in the days, there's a Persona 4 characters in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle on PC and there's a Joker suit in Sonic Forces on PC. OMG PERSONA 5 ON PC IS IMMINENT".

Not really.

1. Persona 5, though much more popular than previous entries, is still a bit niche for a Smash Bros. playable character inclusion if it's not intended to be hyping up something else. The most obvious thing to hype up would be P5 Switch. If they had just wanted to do an Atlus inclusion and not P5-specific, they could have done somebody from SMT4 or Devil Survivor (both Nintendo exclusives) or Tokyo Mirage Sessions (actually co-produced with Nintendo) or they could have gone with their company mascot, Jack Frost.

2. Every single numbered Persona game has had an enhanced portable port. In the past, these have been on Sony portable systems, but there isn't a current Sony portable system and they're not going to all the extra work to try to get the thing working on the Vita given the Vita's dead status. Nintendo Switch wins out by default.

I'd love Persona 5 on PC, but Persona 5 Switch is far more likely to happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
That would indicate the reveal/ tease being soon would it not?
That is correct. In fact, it is likely to be announced during the "Dark Sun..." OVA for Persona 5 the Animation that premieres on December 30 in Japan. There's already confirmation that Atlus will air a public commercial with the first details on Persona Super Live 2019, so they'll most likely also contain details on P5R.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That is correct. In fact, it is likely to be announced during the "Dark Sun..." OVA for Persona 5 the Animation that premieres on December 30 in Japan. There's already confirmation that Atlus will air a public commercial with the first details on Persona Super Live 2019, so they'll most likely also contain details on P5R.
Say is the anime worth giving a watch if i haven't played the game?

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
That's gotta be it at this point, right?

Almost certainly. This matches up with the well-established Atlus reveal pattern. Persona 5, PQ2, P3D/P5D and Catherine Full Body (although Catherine Full Body was announced independently just days after the domain moved onto nameservers) each underwent this with their domains right before a major event would come up that would fit as a reveal for said titles.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Almost certainly. This matches up with the well-established Atlus reveal pattern. Persona 5, PQ2, P3D/P5D and Catherine Full Body (although Catherine Full Body was announced independently just days after the domain moved onto nameservers) each underwent this with their domains right before a major event would come up that would fit as a reveal for said titles.
HYPE

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Atlus has now configured the website for "P5R.jp", although it's not publicly accessible. They did the same thing with Catherine Full Body a few days before it was announced, as well as with PQ2 and past titles.
93699ae6b3.png
It begins.....

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy it if it's real. Uncle just bought me a cheap PS3 copy from a pawn shop, was gonna play it for a first replay, see the differences/how it stands up to PS4 (just curiosity). But if anything is announced here in the next month or so, the replay will go to whatever it is.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Time to get HYPE.
There is NO CHANCE I will be disappointed, this is just like the time Prime trilogy was announced at the Game Awards. What a great reveal that was.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, I just beat this for the first time like two months ago. I do not have another round in me.

Hyped to see what's being added anyway!

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we're going by the hand-held logic then it's coming to the Vita.
pretty soon you literally can't make physical games for vita anymore. it's a dead platform.

its a switch port/enhaced version and i'll quietly and amusingly read all your meltdowns about it. cheers
the chance of it being an enhanced version exclusive to switch is pretty slim. the ps4 will get the new content as well, either as dlc or as a new release.

The only thing it'll really do is trigger a gigantic myriad of people asking for SMT5 on PS4.
i have a feeling nintendo is involved with that game (like octopath or daemon x machina). if they're not, that's a completely valid thing to ask for, and there's no reason it shouldn't happen or atlus should limit the audience for a pretty niche game to just the switch userbase.

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Something is definetly happening. They also bought an HTTPS certificate for the site today.

This is definitive proof, now it's only a matter of some days to find out if the year will end with a very big announcement (for me) with the Switch port or if it will be just a reloaded version only on PS4.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
pretty soon you literally can't make physical games for vita anymore. it's a dead platform.

the chance of it being an enhanced version exclusive to switch is pretty slim. the ps4 will get the new content as well, either as dlc or as a new release.
Nothing slim about it as this is Atlus' MO since forever to release a vanilla version then an "enhanced version" later on elsewhere (with the exception of Persona 3 which got P3 and P3 FES on PS2, followed by a few years later with P3P (exclusive content) for the PSP. Same with Persona 1 and 2 on their release. Same with Persona 4.

This will happen, as for where it lands that is a question. As for DLC, possibly or just release it as a new edition (Atlus tax needs to strike)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing slim about it as this is Atlus' MO since forever to release a vanilla version then an "enhanced version" later on elsewhere (with the exception of Persona 3 which got P3 and P3 FES on PS2, followed by a few years later with P3P (exclusive content) for the PSP. Same with Persona 1 and 2 on their release. Same with Persona 4.

This will happen, as for where it lands that is a question. As for DLC, possibly or just release it as a new edition (Atlus tax needs to strike)
portable ports of persona 1, 2, 3, and 4 came out when the original platform was dead. if this is an enhanced port of 5, it would be the first time that it's coming when the original platform (ps4 i mean, not ps3) is more than alive. it would be pretty fucked up to fuck over the loyal persona fanbase who don't have a switch or don't want to play on that system telling them they can't play the ultimate version of the game on their ps4.

Kagekyo

Dec 25, 2018
Spain
I want an expanded edition with a new route, would be awesome. More about the past of morgana would be great too.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I don't care about whatever this ends up being as I have absolutely no faith in their storytelling ability where this game is concerned but I'm curious about the implications it would have for Smash. That Erdrick rumor was tied to P5R, wasn't it?

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about whatever this ends up being as I have absolutely no faith in their storytelling ability where this game is concerned but I'm curious about the implications it would have for Smash. That Erdrick rumor was tied to P5R, wasn't it?
Yes. But hop into the Smash rumour thread cause this is P5 and I cannot wait for more.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Pretty sure everyone thought that P5R on Switch might be a thing after Joker was announced. No one predicted Joker, so I wouldn't say that any Smash rumors are "tied" to P5R.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Pretty sure everyone thought that P5R on Switch might be a thing after Joker was announced. No one predicted Joker, so I wouldn't say that any Smash rumors are "tied" to P5R.
Did anyone specifically guess the name P5R prior to that though? IIRC, there were two other domains registered.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
December 30th, 12 PM JST is December 29th, 7 PM PST (United States west coast).

Hype intensifies.

And yes, to the poster prior, the Erdrick rumor was tied to this announcement, however, completely unlikely they'll happen at the same time.

If there's no announcement on Saturday, do we dare ... reset ... the ... ...

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
I only hope it runs at native 720p in handheld mode.

What do you expect in terms of performance and resolution? I don't care about docked and a few frame drops as long as it runs at 720p.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only hope it runs at native 720p in handheld mode.

What do you expect in terms of performance and resolution? I don't care about docked and a few frame drops as long as it runs at 720p.
don't care about dicked mode as i will be playing handheld only, 720p native res would be nice, and probably more than doable.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
portable ports of persona 1, 2, 3, and 4 came out when the original platform was dead. if this is an enhanced port of 5, it would be the first time that it's coming when the original platform (ps4 i mean, not ps3) is more than alive. it would be pretty fucked up to fuck over the loyal persona fanbase who don't have a switch or don't want to play on that system telling them they can't play the ultimate version of the game on their ps4.
But also this is the first time a Persona game is relaunching on a modern platform that supports DLCs. They could definitely fit new content on PS4. And perhaps I don't expect ATLUS to change the story radically anyway, like adding in Hifumi, but just doing QOL, new music and sidequests.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are they saying in the video???
what video? where?
edit: so cute! (the video was showing as a picture for me in this thread)
screenshot2018-12-27a9mip4.png

But also this is the first time a Persona game is relaunching on a modern platform that supports DLCs. They could definitely fit new content on PS4. And perhaps I don't expect ATLUS to change the story radically anyway, like adding in Hifumi, but just doing QOL, new music and sidequests.
that's what i'm saying. with dlc being an option too, they have no excuse of not putting the new content on ps4 as well

Last edited:

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
December 30th, 12 PM JST is December 29th, 7 PM PST (United States west coast).

Hype intensifies.

And yes, to the poster prior, the Erdrick rumor was tied to this announcement, however, completely unlikely they'll happen at the same time.

If there's no announcement on Saturday, do we dare ... reset ... the ... ...
It's 12am JST. That's 16:00 in Central Europe and 7am Pacific Time.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Two things I want from this announcement/revision.

1) Please don't just be Persona 5 with more content. Actually revise the game and fix some of its more glaring problems such as the awful pacing in certain parts and the lack of focus on the party members and their dynamic as a group outside of Phantom Thieves.

2) Be available as a DLC/upgrade for vanilla Persona 5 owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.