• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France

• inside-out tracking
  • wireless
  • pass-through video
It was revealed a couple of months ago that the next VR platform from Sony would focus solely on the next PlayStation and will not be going down the road of a dual-HMD strategy such as the Oculus Quest.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Fucking hyped about PSVR2. Give me a library of PSVR games on PSNow and i'm set for the gen.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It has sensors along the back of the headband? So it might have decent behind-the-back tracking, which inside-out tracking VR headsets seem to struggle with.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Camera on the headset and controller matches what ruthenic cookie said in his PS5 leak last year

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i like the quest, it's neato

I wouldnt mind seeing the PS version of a wireless headset

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Im excited to see where they take VR. Sony has done a good job of supporting it so far. I'd like another Astrobots personally, but I will def be buying into PSVR2. Just dont be another PSP to Vita situation where they drop all support and rely mainly on third party.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
For me the release of PSVR2 is when next gen begins as hyped as I am for PS5 alone. PSVR has been such a genuine game changer for me this gen and has opening my eyes to the possibilities of VR. Can't wait to see what they can do with more power and better tracking.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Wireless is a big thing for me, and the next thing that needs to be improved is the resolution. I had a PSVR and it was interesting technology, but it cause me a lot of pain on my nose, the wires were super messy and the resolution was distracting, so I ended up selling it. But I'm looking forward to a revised technology, because there was a lot of potential.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I want VR gloves with tactile fingertips and a mini treadmill for immersive movement, Sony! Shouldn't cost that much, right? :D

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wireless & full BC is a must have for PSVR2.

We are getting very close to some amazingly accessible VR tech, I can't wait.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Fucking hyped about PSVR2. Give me a library of PSVR games on PSNow and i'm set for the gen.
Some are already on there (I saw Eve Valkyrie) but it's a great idea. Via either Plus or Now Sony should offer a ready-made VR games library up to subscribers...it's how they got me to buy a Vita back in the day.

Not sure about wireless but tracking is a great solution. I remember the survey they sent out hinted at addressing complaints about the effort to setup and put away. I feel like they will prioritise that over IQ and other things.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
PSVR 2 wishlist:

Better tracking
Higher resolution screens
Analogue sticks on Move 2.0

If it does all of those then I'm going to be a very happy camper. Wireless would be nice but it's not been an issue for me with my setup so if it's not there it's not that big of a deal for me.

rostad

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think it will have eyetracking with foveated rendering?
I sure hope so! Mostly because I´ve invested in a company that provides those solutions to the market.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I think this is when VR really gets started for me, on PS5. Current PSVR is a proof of concept. If they get good inside out tracking working (and frankly it can't be worse than current PSVR/camera setup) and if it really is wireless.. oh boy. Combined with the power of PS5 and games like GT Sport should be fully playable in VR with much better visuals, that is the moment VR goes from cool gimmick to the prime way to play that game (and I love my racers so that is a big deal).

If we get eye tracking foveated rendering as well (and I'm not sure how feasible this is if it is wireless), then the leap in visuals possible will be staggering AND will mean that any and every developer can target VR and not have to worry about simplifying visuals, it can be a full fat experience, but in VR. That last part could also mean 2.5D VR, like playing TLOU on a massive virtual screen in front of you with 3D depth for instance.

Exciting times.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The resistive triggers would work great for VR as well.

I think that probably came, initially, from r&d on their next VR controller. There are detailed patent applications out there around what looks like a Move successor, featuring triggers with programmable resistance, and better haptic feedback. I guess the DS5 has borrowed things from that work.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Screenshot_20191009-154947_Drive.jpg

So, why is this patent using a PS3, lmao.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
i still have yet to have a VR experience. not with a phone, headset or anything. none at all. it's a money/time thing.

i'm replaying skyrim for the billionth time and wishing soooo hard that i was playing it in VR. seeing things like this gives me hope that VR will keep getting worked on and be perfectly baked and ready for me to jump in once i have the time/money.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is when VR really gets started for me, on PS5. Current PSVR is a proof of concept. If they get good inside out tracking working (and frankly it can't be worse than current PSVR/camera setup) and if it really is wireless.. oh boy. Combined with the power of PS5 and games like GT Sport should be fully playable in VR with much better visuals, that is the moment VR goes from cool gimmick to the prime way to play that game (and I love my racers so that is a big deal).

If we get eye tracking foveated rendering as well (and I'm not sure how feasible this is if it is wireless), then the leap in visuals possible will be staggering AND will mean that any and every developer can target VR and not have to worry about simplifying visuals, it can be a full fat experience, but in VR. That last part could also mean 2.5D VR, like playing TLOU on a massive virtual screen in front of you with 3D depth for instance.

Exciting times.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 alone will be a huge jump for PSVR, cant wait to see what they have planned for the headset

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the PS5 will not resemble that PS5 devkit render too much, can already picture one of my cats sitting right in the middle of it with his wet ass enjoying the heat and air flow.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
i still have yet to have a VR experience. not with a phone, headset or anything. none at all. it's a money/time thing.

i'm replaying skyrim for the billionth time and wishing soooo hard that i was playing it in VR. seeing things like this gives me hope that VR will keep getting worked on and be perfectly baked and ready for me to jump in once i have the time/money.
You should feel happy to wait a little. Current PSVR can be quite underwhelming once the novelty wears off. The visuals really are quite basic in VR, can often be very blurry, low resolution, lots of jaggies, oh and some really poor tracking that ruins the immersion. If your first time is PSVR 2 on a PS5 (or a Quest) you'll be blown away. I'm confident it will be a substantial leap in quality across the board.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I skipped and missed out on PSVR this generation due to the amount of cables and having just the launch PS4 still. However I'm very interested in a wireless version that will be hopefully boosted by a much more powerful console!