• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Original by "The Smiths". t.a.t.u's cover is absolutely amazing and, having listened to both, t.a.t.u's is actually so much better!

Give it a shot!

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Eye in the Sky - original by The Alan Parsons Project:

Synth cover by Parralox:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Sara Bareilles covering Sia's Chandelier. She's got an amazing voice, I'd never heard anything other than her couple radio hits and had no idea she could sing like this. (if the timestamp doesn't work, skip to 1:35 or so)

She's one of my favorite artists. She does good covers of Yellow, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Benny and the Jets (that one mixed in with one of her songs) too.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chris Isaak, Sweet Leilani - from "Baja Sessions" - a collection of really interesting covers. I love it because it introduced an obscure old song to me at least. It's a cover of a Bing Crosby song that he controversially introduced to a song contest (and won) and the song itself was considered a weird outlier at the time.

Isaak's version is gorgeous and different and much more relaxed and easy and evocative of Plumeria blossoms and the smell of Hawaiian nights. BTW "Baja Sessions" admits in a tongue and cheek fashion that at no point did they go to or record anything in Baja, but they just wanted it to sound like they were doing an ambitious concept album.

The original for Tiki overdone slack key charm:

SPEAKING OF CONCEPT ALBUMS GOING NATIVE - legend has it that after the Waterboys breakout rock album, Whole of the Moon, the record company thought they'd struck gold and sent the band to Ireland to record a rock album money printing super album, but the Waterboys got addicted to Irish Folk and recorded a folk album on the company dime. The result is AMAZING (Room to Roam) but probably not what the record company asked for. Their cover of twee folk standard "Raggle Taggle Gypsy" is ferociously good. It's the kind of song you'd play for a Celtic version of the Old Boy corridor fight.

Here's a deliberately antique version that shows off how the original sound may have been.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the opposite end of the spectrum, Tom Jones and the Art of Noise, cover of Kiss by Prince. Pure bombastic cheese, but it's a fantastic demonstration of how powerful Prince's underlying songs ARE. People tend to forget what the Art of Noise added which is a super powerful but simple underlying rhythmic interpretation of the melody. Every Prince cover shows off an amazing song, yet they're all wildly different in tone and style.

And the original for legendaryness.

And finally one from my childhood which is another folk classic amped up for rock audiences by an olde popular Scottish band called Runrig. It's Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond (you take the high road) but again, dialed up to 11. This in concert is unbeatable. Savage patriotism in a song. Scotland has two national anthems - a decent sad one (Flower of Scotland) and a shit happy one (Scotland the Brave).

A more traditional twee take:

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
I should preface this by stating that Pulp's Common People is one of my fave songs of all time and I in no way think this cover surpasses it, but Ol' Billy Shatner's rendition is actually surprisingly great:

His signature stilted diction makes it sound goofy in some parts, but overall he makes the song work SURPRISINGLY well as a sort freeform poem, and I think this is the most emotion I've ever heard in Shatner's voice ever, aha.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the Shatner version of Common People, just for the sheer contempt in his voice when the song turns.

Also, regarding the Art of Noise version of Kiss-- sheer genius to get Tom Jones for that.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
While not exactly a cover since it's different interpretation of the song by the same band I absolutely love both versions of this..

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
I should preface this by stating that Pulp's Common People is one of my fave songs of all time and I in no way think this cover surpasses it, but Ol' Billy Shatner's rendition is actually surprisingly great:

His signature stilted diction makes it sound goofy in some parts, but overall he makes the song work SURPRISINGLY well as a sort freeform poem, and I think this is the most emotion I've ever heard in Shatner's voice ever, aha.

That whole album is great. A lot of it surprisingly touching.

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoy instrumental covers, especially if the instruments used are normally associated with the original version of the song!