• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always worshipped at the alter that is The White Stripes' cover of the Son House masterpiece "Death Letter"

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

I mean, duh. Chaka Khan, produced by Arif Mardin, Stevie Wonder on harmonica, rap by Melle Mel, how was it going to go wrong.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Friends, allow me to introduce you to your new favorite cover album.

The Easy Star All Stars are a collection of Reggae artists who cover well known albums - Dark Side of the Moon and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band being the two most well known.

But their best album is a cover of Radiohead's OK Computer. Which, in some places, is better than the original.

I'll be listening to this album til the day I die.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Also, as someone who's young adult years were in the 90's, hearing The Sundays' cover of Wild Horses will always cause me to stop, take a breath, and wistfully tear up.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Nirvana's The Man Who Sold The World.

I'm not even a Nirvana fan yet when I think of the best covers, this immediately comes to mind.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Posted this in the "Better than the original cover" thread and I still stick by it.

Beats the original with more energy, more power and still retains the original songs charm.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Recently stumbled on Madison Cunningham
Her covers blew me away and apparantly she does weekly covers

This Jeff Buckley one is just beautiful

Radiohead one is decent

her originals are good too

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
The bird and the bee did a super bitching soundtrack of hall and Oates hits that is fucking divine.

BadAlchemy

May 2, 2019
OMG, I'd never heard that Richie Havens before. Fantastic. I love that first CSNY album.

Where can I go from that one? Let's see, covers from that first CSNY album... Miles Davis did a long cover version of "Guinnevere" that was released on the "Circle in the Round" album. You know, I like it better than Crosby apparently did, but it's too diffuse for me to really put here. I'll tell you a cover he did that I actually do like a lot though - his cover of Minnie Riperton's "Loving You" in '75. It's a really oblique version but really beautiful IMO.

Oct 26, 2017

Technically it's a cover. Shut up.

I was going to include Istanbul by They Might Be Giants and Nothing Compares 2 U by SinƩad O'Conner but hit the four video limit.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Regina Spektor cover of a partially recorded John Lennon song that was technically only released on the Beatles Anthology.

BadAlchemy

May 2, 2019
I really don't know if I prefer this or the original.

I went on this binge and compiled cover versions of every '63-'70 released Beatles original that (1) I like and (2) I like at least as much as the Beatles version. Aside from "You Won't See Me", "What Goes On", and "Yellow Submarine" I found versions for all of them.

Anyway, I am flabbergasted that nobody knows Ray Charles' version of "The Long And Winding Road", considering that Paul McCartney has openly said that he was trying to write a Ray Charles song when he did it. Charles nails it - I'd say it's pretty much the only good version of the song ever - but nobody seems to have any idea it exists!