• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrLampost

Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot of great choices in this thread already, but I will try and make a small contribution by linking to a favorite internet radio station of mine on SomaFM called Covers. It's a great little station to hear some very interesting and offbeat cover tunes.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I will defend this to my grave:

(It's from a great little album of cover versions of Disney theme park staples. I'd absolutely sing the praises of the Barenaked Ladies take on Grim Grinning Ghosts, too - although I think it sounds uncannily like They Might Be Giants)

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Not as good as the remastered version, but very good

Johnny owns this song

Just a classic clash piece

The best version of this song - fight me Hendrix fans

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
I saw this on my "Up Next" somewhere randomly in the middle of it... Not gonna lie, I clicked on it to hate on it. My thoughts were: "I bet it's one of those pretentious covers where they over sing the song". It only took 10 seconds into the song to win me over.

Brass Against - The Pot (Tool Cover)

Ziocyte

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this on my "Up Next" somewhere randomly in the middle of it... Not gonna lie, I clicked on it to hate on it. My thoughts were: "I bet it's one of those pretentious covers where they over sing the song". It only took 10 seconds into the song to win me over.

Brass Against - The Pot (Tool Cover)

^ This version is so good it gave me a renewed appreciation for the original song. Best case for a song cover.

I don't think this was posted already.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Some great covers in here guys, keep it up.

Not the Weezer / Toto covers, though. They're just bad.

I'm a big fan of cross-genre covers. This is one of my favorites: The Cardigans cover "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath".

alstrike thanks for that Wolf Like Me cover ... I love it.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Kishi bashi is my favorite modern artist.. and loved talking heads growing up. Needless to say I really dig this cover

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017

Gonna just say it. I've always hated Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt and Jose Gonzales' cover of Heartbeats.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Cats in the Cradle and Hurt have already been covered in the thread, but none of these have been mentioned:

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams

Jetta - I'd Love to Change the World

Avila - Dream On

Lana Del Rey - Once Upon a Dream

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
A metal cover of Toto's Africa more interesting than what Weezer snoozed out (Leo Moraccioli ft. Rabea & Hanna):

And, to balance out the chromatic karma, an orchestral ensemble arrangement of aha's Take On Me (Brooklyn Duo & Ensemble Connect)

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The Hollies - A Taste of Honey; the first time I hear it by The Beatles, I don't know who's the original writer of the song, but I think The Hollies' version is superb.

Heatwave - All I Am; original song by Lynsey de Paul, Heatwave's version is better in my opinion.

Last edited:

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
While I like Josh Ritter a lot, the Punch Brothers version of Another New World pretty much made the song theirs.

Studio Version:

Live Version:

It just feels like a much more realized journey compared to Ritter's.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original Gimme Gimme Gimme by Black Flag:

The cover of it by A Perfect Circle:

Not even their best cover but damn I love what they did with the song.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and another one...

Peace, Love and Understanding by Elvis Costello...

...and covered by A Perfect Circle...