• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we are going to get through this, probably in several months to a year, but we will be changed. The last time Western society went through such a forced change would be WWII. So... Let's go for some predictions:

Winner
Bidet sales skyrocket

• USA finally gets socialized medical.
  • Some sort of defacto UBI through a massive change in unemployment benefit requirements.
  • Largest wealth transfer in history as old white people die and pass it onto their white kids (income tax free!)
  • USA increases retirement benefits for survivers, because of massive wealth loss.
  • Cities become "net-killers" again.
  • Small business dies, mass bankruptcy of small business, USA become more like Europe.
  • Terribly run city/states and public transit systems go broke. (Looking at you NYC/NYS/MTA).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I think this will lead to the first major leftist push in America post-WWII. This will expose how fragile, flawed, and unsustainable our terrible capitalist system is and a lot of disenfranchised, ignored and oppressed people will finally take to the streets.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think this will lead to the first major leftist push in America post-WWII. This will expose how fragile, flawed, and unsustainable our terrible capitalist system is and a lot of disenfranchised, ignored and oppressed people will finally take to the streets.
It's been smoke and mirrors since 08 anyway, which was a huge transfer of wealth upward as well.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coronavirus suppresses voter turnout except for his fanatical base and Trump wins re-election.

I win either way with this prediction.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there's a chance in hell that single payer healthcare, UBI, or retirement benefits would even be considered by the GOP or DNC. They simply stand to lose too much profit, and as we've seen with how the GOP has handled this outbreak so far, I don't think they give a damn about Americans dying by the dozen. However, I appreciate your optimism, OP.

Though perhaps "optimism" isn't the right word.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Nothing changes. Everything goes back to the status quo in 6-12 months.

Edit: whatever is going on with the financial markets will probably have a bigger impact than the virus

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
People are going to get used to working from home and realize there's very little reason they actually need to be in the office

...or at least I can dream

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They'll have to write off business costs as well as paying people during the period surely. Nobody is really talking about but the economy basically needs paused and made free for the duration if things get really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.