• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Edited post as it was needlessly antagonistic. I've worked for FedEx and their timetables are nuts. This guys an asshole or has severe issues that need addressing.

Delacruz, who worked as a mail carrier in Chesapeake, Virginia, said he felt "pressured" and couldn't "make time" to complete his mail route, according to court documents. He told authorities that he rented a public storage unit for $49 per month for "the sole purpose of storing mail he could not deliver."

The employee said he started hiding mail in November or December 2018 and he rented the storage unit in February 2019, according to court records. He said he put mail he was unable to deliver in the unit from that time up until he was discovered in May 2019.

Delacruz told authorities he intended to deliver the mail in the storage unit, but he fell behind and was never able to,

The Postal Service delivered the first-class mail after it was found. The ads were discarded because they were old by then.

Last edited:

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
"Delacruz told authorities he intended to deliver the mail in the storage unit, but he fell behind and was never able to."

Ah, makes perfect sense then.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine you got a winning confirmation letter for Publishers Clearing House and you had to respond back within 3 months.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Family member was briefly a mail carrier. Their routes are godawful and impossible to complete in regular hours unless you're very healthy and willing to cut corners. I feel bad for this dude. The stress had to be crippling.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
More than 4,700 pieces of the almost 5,000 total mail he stored was junk mail and ads.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love storage units. Rent 'em for cheap band practice space, to live in, or to slowly do your mail-delivering job a bit unorthodoxly better!

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
The Postal Service delivered the first-class mail after it was found. The ads were discarded because they were old by then.

Surprised there is not a follow up sentence to this...
As a result, only 52 letters of actually important mail was delivered.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It's a very difficult job, and every carrier I know (including me!) has had moments of desperation and despair on a route. Doing shit like this, however, makes the rest of us look bad. I've no interest in circling the wagons for this guy.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Numan did this
newman_jerry_seinfeld-994x611.png

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
4 months seems pretty damn fast for him to get caught.
Don't mess with the mail!

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Really makes you wonder how much less stressful the mail carrier's job would be if they didn't have to deal with all that junk mail. There needs to be some sort of opt-out for that shit.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad since everyone imagines that it is easy being a mail carrier and is wondering how stupid you'd have to be to do something like this. It's actually a pretty rough profession, given the volume of work you are handed and the deadlines you are expected to make.

But I think everyone just imagines a job where you show up, get handed a sack full of letters, and just wander around delivering them until you get to quit at exactly 5PM.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Really makes you wonder how much less stressful the mail carrier's job would be if they didn't have to deal with all that junk mail. There needs to be some sort of opt-out for that shit.
Problem is that junk mail is our bread and butter. It's how the post office makes most of its money.

The main problem is we never have enough people, at least in my area. Until you make career you can work 7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day. It's a rough job especially for the first few years.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
At least he didn't destroy any mail, but being on the hook for potentially 5 years in jail for not delivering mostly ads is just a really bad risk.

I remember seeing an interview with Bukowski about how absolutely terrified he was of missing his mail sorting quotas when he was supporting himself as he wrote his poetry. It's a rough job...

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
On one hand I feel bad for him; but this is not the vibe. I'd be totally on his side if the ONLY thing he didn't deliver were the ads/junk mail. The hero we deserve. Should have focused on only delivering real mail, some of that first class stuff especially sounds important. I imagine a lot of people called in on his route wondering where x-thing was. But who is going to call and be like; 'Yeah bruh, where's my valupak coupons this month huh?!'

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have a unique perspective here in this thread. Can you tell us first hand how your route is how difficult it is to deliver everything you get on any given day?
Every carrier has a different situation. Some can have routes that are 80+ miles, some might have a route that is 12 miles. Some of them get out of their vehicles and walk around a neighborhood. Some of them just drive around stuffing letters into curbside mailboxes (a convenience that is less and less common with the prevalence of Amazon packages which must be run up to a porch/front door). Some of them spend more than half of their shift just sorting and organzing letters at the post office, while others have to do all that work on the fly as they run their route.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

If you think about it some more you will realize that volume of junk mail is likely the only thing making mail delivery financially viable. I'm doubtful most people would be willing to pay what it would cost to mail things in a world without junk mail.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Problem is that junk mail is our bread and butter. It's how the post office makes most of its money.

The main problem is we never have enough people, at least in my area. Until you make career you can work 7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day. It's a rough job especially for the first few years.
If you think about it some more you will realize that volume of junk mail is likely the only thing making mail delivery financially viable. I'm doubtful most people would be willing to pay what it would cost to mail things in a world without junk mail.
Very good points on the logistical side of it. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
You have a unique perspective here in this thread. Can you tell us first hand how your route is how difficult it is to deliver everything you get on any given day?
Let me be clear, I sympathize but this guy was beyond ridiculous. There was no need to do what he did.

That being said, depending on the time of year it can be quite difficult. During the Christmas season I'm usually out there until 6-8pm because even if I finish on time I'll be sent out to help other routes. Normally if it's a route I know it's not too bad. Also until you get your own route you're stuck with the shitty ones no one wants, and you're expected to be available at all times to cover for any help that's needed.

Also it sounds like he was just bad at his job. The first time I do a route it will take me an extra hour or so, the second time will take less, and by the third time I'm pretty close to the expected time. He was there for 14 months. He should have been able to handle it by then.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I work doing medical coding at a hospital and it is very much the same thing. No matter how well you do in any given day, when start the next day it is like starting over from scratch. If you get behind, even a little, it just piles on top of the new stuff you get. You will never, ever be caught up or ahead of the game. Actually, anything production based will likely have this problem. At times, it can drive you a bit batty.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I work doing medical coding at a hospital and it is very much the same thing. No matter how well you do in any given day, when start the next day it is like starting over from scratch. If you get behind, even a little, it just piles on top of the new stuff you get. You will never, ever be caught up or ahead of the game. Actually, anything production based will likely have this problem. At times, it can drive you a bit batty.

I absolutely hate this feeling. No matter how hard you work-you're in a worse off position today than you were yesterday.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Family member was briefly a mail carrier. Their routes are godawful and impossible to complete in regular hours unless you're very healthy and willing to cut corners. I feel bad for this dude. The stress had to be crippling.

I'm sure it's become worse in recent years with the proliferation of internet orders like amazon. I know my mail carrier hates it.

But yeah, as stated before if junk mail were opt in only, the postal service would probably go under.

I swear this is like a repeat article too, didn't something like this happen a few years ago?

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to make light of the real pressures of the job. But, I was reminded of the Charlie mail system in Sunny

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
How about we get some laws passed to limit excessive junk mail and ads? It would save paper and time.

Also, this seems like something I've heard before down to renting a storage unit to hide the mail.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely hate this feeling. No matter how hard you work-you're in a worse off position today than you were yesterday.

It's one of the things I try and hammer into new employees. You have to be happy and content with the time you put in every day. Make your own goals within goals. Take pride in the accomplishments you do daily, because tomorrow it all resets. You have to change the way you're wired to think about making progress in the traditional sense. It is really a weird thing TBH. I've been doing it so long that I don't really think about it anymore, but new employees always struggle the first year or so.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I used to be postman, saw it happen. People used to pay me to finish their deliveries.
The job was great, but you couldn't be slow or slack.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
This story is like George Costanza and Newman did the fusion dance.

exactly what i thought. the seinfeld episode writes itself. george is filling in for newman/newman begrudgingly gets george a job. he gets pressured with all of the work and newman tells him that he has a drop off point for mail he can't deliver-- george takes it further.