• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Funko announced their products for E3 this year, as they will be exhibiting with GameStop. Among the items was this cuphead shirt that they cannot reveal until E3 starts. Just found it odd, this is the only item they revealed that is a mystery.

New character? New boss? Maybe new content along with the online multiplayer patch. Anyone heard anything about cuphead being there?

mDJOcFp.jpg

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of Microsoft's third party exclusives have been just one year exclusive windows so it would make sense for Cuphead to announce PS4/Switch versions at E3. It's possible they do what Ori did where it's an enhanced version that has a little extra stuff.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I believe Microsoft funded the game and it is 100% exclusive.
Microsoft, IIRC, gave teh developers very favorable publushing conditions, with lots of time at E3 indie showdowns, demo kiosks in consumer expos... But studio MHDR had to mortgage their house for a second time to pay for the development, so it's not like Microsoft had any sort of pure funding in the game, just that the favorable publishing conditions made them prioritise developing the game for PC (which is in Steam, not only in the W10 store) and XBox One. So a PS4 port is possible.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead was funded by Microsoft. Tomb Raider and Dead Rising 4 were not.
I don't think it was 100% funded by Microsoft; for starters, the developers had to remortgage their home to continue financing the game, and they still own the IP.

If Microsoft 100% funded it, they'd have taken the whole kit and kaboodle, and probably not left them high and dry in the second half of production.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the new playable character, Bottle Boy

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They said that they want to do sequels so it could be that.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft, IIRC, gave teh developers very favorable publushing conditions, with lots of time at E3 indie showdowns, demo kiosks in consumer expos... But studio MHDR had to mortgage their house for a second time to pay for the development, so it's not like Microsoft had any sort of pure funding in the game, just that the favorable publishing conditions made them prioritise developing the game for PC (which is in Steam, not only in the W10 store) and XBox One. So a PS4 port is possible.
Pretty sure it's been said multiple times a cuphead 2 could be everywhere but Cuphead 1 is exclusive

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I hope it's DLC - something small enough to hit this year. One of my ultimate dream announcements would be Disney partnering with them to do a series of Bosses based on actual era-appropriate Disney shorts. Would be an amazing use of the IP.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see a new IP that tackles a different style but retains the excellent level of detail and animations.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Cuphead is a game in a similar situation with the first Titanfall.

MS gave sizeable enough of a funding/monetary support to the game for them to be lifetime exclusives, they'll never come to other consoles in this generation.

But the publisher and IP ownership is not MS.

A Cuphead 2 could potentially be multiple platforms.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Mughead

Edit

I haven't played the game, apparently there is already a mug character.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Microsoft funded the game and it is 100% exclusive.
Typical microsoft.
I'll fund your game and will require 100% exclusivity, but i'll still require you to remortgage your house for a second time.
Fingers crossed it's a sequel announcement for all platforms so everyone can appreciate it this time like the developers deserve!

Nov 8, 2017
a Cuphead 2 can still be multiplat right or MS owns the IP? i think they mentioned that before when they got asked about it

Microsoft does not own the IP, Cuphead 2 could go to other consoles (it's already "multiplat" in the strictest sense, there is no restriction on which PC stores it can be sold on), however MS would need to give permission for the original game to go to other consoles.

There is also the possibility that Microsoft could secure full exclusivity for future titles with some kind of deal, but that's up to both MS and MDHR as to whether both parties would be interested in such a deal. If I was Microsoft, I'd attempt to secure that, but I'm not.

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
I don't think it was 100% funded by Microsoft; for starters, the developers had to remortgage their home to continue financing the game, and they still own the IP.

If Microsoft 100% funded it, they'd have taken the whole kit and kaboodle, and probably not left them high and dry in the second half of production.

True, they didn't fund the whole project. Also, I'm fairly certain they never left them "high and dry" at any point. The developers mortgaged early in the process.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think online multiplayer would work with cuphead so hoping its not it

I'm buying this new game or content, if it is or isn't exclusive, but I hope it's not. They're sitting on a great ip that should be shared to as many people as possible. Especially before the copycats arrives and eat.

while you're at it share all the "great ips that should be shared to as many people as possible" of sony and nintendo too

start with SFV, i want to play it.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm buying this new game or content, if it is or isn't exclusive, but I hope it's not. They're sitting on a great ip that should be shared to as many people as possible. Especially before the copycats arrives and eat.

In an ideal world every game would be multiplat. But the developers have to do what they have to do.

Since Cuphead was a smash hit, selling >1 million units in a short space of time, I suspect that they won't be super interested in making an exclusive deal with Microsoft again unless it's on extremely favorable terms to them. My main fear is not the platforms it goes to, it's that it will suffer from "Indie darling sequel regression syndrome", where high selling, well received indie game followups for some reason sell 10% of what the original did.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Hey Nintendo allowed Minecraft and xbox login on the Switch, so only fair to return the favor and allow Cuphead to be ported over. :p

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world every game would be multiplat. But the developers have to do what they have to do.

Since Cuphead was a smash hit, selling >1 million units in a short space of time, I suspect that they won't be super interested in making an exclusive deal with Microsoft again unless it's on extremely favorable terms to them. My main fear is not the platforms it goes to, it's that it will suffer from "Indie darling sequel regression syndrome", where high selling, well received indie game followups for some reason sell 10% of what the original did.

Those first installments usually reached that level of success thanks to bundles and/or extremely low sales prices, meaning that the figures were somewhat artificially inflated. A sequel to Cuphead, which sold very well at full price and had excellent word of mouth might alienate some due to the difficulty of the first game, but I'd say it would be a fairly safe hit if they can get it out within a reasonable time frame.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
The devs of cuphead straight said cuphead is 100% exclusive to Microsoft back on the other forum so don't hold your hopes up.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I really don't think online multiplayer would work with cuphead so hoping its not it

while you're at it share all the "great ips that should be shared to as many people as possible" of sony and nintendo too

start with SFV, i want to play it.
Street fighter should absolutely be on Xbox, like absolutely, lol. I wish it was on Xbox with Xplay with PlayStation, for the community's sake...

As for Sony and Nintendo's games, they make those themselves so you have to buy their system. Cuphead devs own their own game and it's been rough for them. I did my part, Cuphead was one of the main reasons I even bought an Xbox. It's a great game, there's not much out there like it, and if they can they should release it on more systems.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
I could also see an announcement of a 'definitive' edition of the game, with additional fights or stages. Part of me wants to think that the extra content could make it technically not the same game and thus not needing to be exclusive to Microsoft. I don't know the history behind previous console exclusives well so what I just said could be completely false.

Goldrusher

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Flanders, BE
The devs of cuphead straight said cuphead is 100% exclusive to Microsoft back on the other forum so don't hold your hopes up.
Cuphead the game, not Cuphead the franchise.

Yes, this Cuphead game is exclusive to Xbox and PC (with Steam and Win10 versions at launch and a GoG release likely shortly after). There will likely be a Mac version down the road and possibly a Linux version beyond that (unless we lose our houses or whatever).

We own the Cuphead IP.

https://www./threads/we-quit-our-jo...phead-developer.1399128/page-6#post-242211150

Status
Not open for further replies.