• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Mario Kart Tour, the mobile installment of the Mario Kart series, recieved a new update yesterday. While the patch notes didn't indicate many notable changes, datamining told a different story with many references to upcoming content coming to the game (new courses, battle mode, anti-gravity, connectivity with 8 Deluxe, etc). Most interesting to those who don't actively play the game, though, should be text strings that appear to hint at an upcoming Windows release for the game.

First, support for mouse as an input method has been added to the game:

unknown.png

Alone this could be written off as possibly just being for development purposes, but further references to support for 'native emulation' appear to point in the direction of the upcoming Google Play Games for PC service set to launch later this year, which will utilise emulation for official PC releases of Google Play mobile titles (more information can be found on the platform's dev portal); or even Microsoft's own solution for Android apps on the Windows Store via Amazon App Store support on Windows 11.

unknown.png

Either way, it seems Nintendo will be publishing a title of their own on PC in the future; even if it isn't in the form I imagine many were hoping for. Credit to the Mario Kart Tour Coummunity Discord (Koopavocelot in particular!) for the discoveries.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mouse support for Android emulation before controller support? I don't buy it as far as official support goes

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just put that it's Mario Kart Tour in the title? Even era threads are clickbait now

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly it would make sense to put MK Tour and Fire Emblem Heroes on PC, lots of money to be made there from PC leading countries.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the PC crowd buys enough microtransactions and say they like the game, then more games will follow. That's how PlayStation transitioned to PC lmao.

Edit: Like, REALLY pretend to like the game. Like say it saved your marriage, cured depression, etc. Lie, guys. Lie.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
But people on Era told me Nintendo games would never come to PC

But here we are, still a rumor but pretty interesting evidence.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Why not just put that it's Mario Kart Tour in the title? Even era threads are clickbait now
Some people on Era seem to get pretty anal when it comes to spoilers of any kind, so I thought i'd play it safe with the title. Mods can feel free to add a mention of mobile to the title if the current one is too clickbaity.

EDIT: Well there you go, already happened.

this is also true

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Didn't Microsoft bring Android apps/games to Windows 11? I assumed this was playable in Windows 11 through the Android emulation layer or whatever but haven't looked into it at all.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time that's done for major franchises. My concern would be that sometimes half-assed ports get done this way (see Chrono Trigger).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot to mention the most interesting part of today's update, the upcoming addition of a Mario Kart CPU Race Royale mode where you start in 100th place and have to make your way up to 1st

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wouldn't be the first time that's done for major franchises. My concern would be that sometimes half-assed ports get done this way (see Chrono Trigger).

Well from the sounds of it it's not really a port; it seems like they're implementing support for Microsoft's stack that lets Android apps run on Windows 11.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I mean I guess this would be cool if it wasn't clear most if not all of the original tracks are gonna be in 8 now

If this becomes a trend I hope Unite gets there but I understand that probably isn't up to Nintendo at all

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
supporting emulated android is not what most of us would call "publishing a title of their own on PC"
It'd be available for download on an official storefront, natively supported and enhanced on the platform (I linked the dev portal for the Google Play solution for a reason; they require higher resolution assets, proper UI scaling for larger monitors and 16:9 aspect ratio support; not all things Tour currently has fully implemented as the menus are forced portrait mode). That is "publishing a title of their own on PC" even if it is running via emulation.

Last edited:

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
This is less "Nintendo is bringing game to PC" and more "Nintendo is preparing for the eventuality that android games are going to be running on a PC within an emulated environment, we should probably make sure it won't be completely borked"

If these updates are appearing in the existing android version, then Nintendo isn't "publishing" anything new. Just preparing for a new environment that it will run on, the way that they have to accommodate for Android on ARM versus Android on x86 sometimes.

Like I appreciate your enthusiasm OP, but this isn't anything special. Unless you're about to argue that every mobile game on earth with Google Play (or currently, amazon) support has been ported to PC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
What's the connectivity with MK8DX about?
If you remember those strings found in Tour last year relating to some sort of connectivity with 8DX:

Mk8dxManager
Mk8DXSamplingRate
Mk8dxCooperationLog
Mk8dxLogSender
Mk8dxFetchPlayReport
Mk8dxAccessor

One additional reference has been added this update; which is notable since it's been over a year since the initial references were found:

Mk8dx_FetchPlayReport_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

You forgot to mention the most interesting part of today's update, the upcoming addition of a Mario Kart CPU Race Royale mode where you start in 100th place and have to make your way up to 1st
That's one of things mentioned in the patch notes itself so I didn't include it in the OP, but yes, that's seemingly coming next Tour. Works somewhat similarly to the elimination ruleset some who have played modded Mario Kart Wii might be familiar with.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If you remember those strings found in Tour last year relating to some sort of connectivity with 8DX:

Mk8dxManager
Mk8DXSamplingRate
Mk8dxCooperationLog
Mk8dxLogSender
Mk8dxFetchPlayReport
Mk8dxAccessor

One additional reference has been added this update; which is notable since it's been over a year since the initial references were found:

Mk8dx_FetchPlayReport_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND
Hmm, wonder if there be some kind of cross game content, like the Animal Crossing Pocket Camp stuff in New Horizons

Hello.

Jan 20, 2020
I don't particularly have any excitement for it. The game is trash, in my opinion. And it just further delays any new "real" installment for the franchise.