• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're right in the sense that discussing (or rather, everyone taking turn to share how much they hate) JRPG designs is this forum favorite pastime. It literally never stops. It happened with Three Houses too, but virtually every JRPG gets it.

I hope, hope that if the design is finalized people just share their disgust once and then move on. Because I don't think I can take the endless bitching about characters anymore.
People will never move on from it. There was a Xenoblade 2 comment on the very page you posted.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I'm really not on board with the idea that, on era, anyone criticising a design on the basis of objectification etc only gets to do so once then they should be quiet. JRPG fans do have an issue with being completely desensitised to it, to the point that a female warrior in high heels, corset and with the whole thighs on show thing is just hand waved as 'typical anime girl'. It's OK to think that's not great if the male avatar, just like with Byleth, ends up fully clothed instead.

I mean, by all means tell to me to shut up when I'm banging on about a story or game mechanics or whatever, but don't shout down criticism from people fed up with female characters being treated like that.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People have every right to complain and criticize sexualized female designs as much as they want, especially with a series like Fire Emblem which have been notorious for focusing on fan service for most of their female characters in recent games.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's fitting people are arguing about Xenoblade 2 because Rex is the first thing that comes to mind when I see that awful MC design

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Every time I see this character's hair, I swear it's like someone dumped vats of paint upon it. Just immensely unappealing and garish all around.

Again, I'll reserve judgment for whenever the promotional materials drop -- this really did deserve than low-quality shots of an apparent old build -- but I can't say I have much confidence. We'll see.

I doubt they'll ever surpass the perfection that is Annette tbh.

This is true, Annette is the best 3H girl easy

AnnetteERA, rise up!!!

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not on board with the idea that, on era, anyone criticising a design on the basis of objectification etc only gets to do so once then they should be quiet. JRPG fans do have an issue with being completely desensitised to it, to the point that a female warrior in high heels, corset and with the whole thighs on show thing is just hand waved as 'typical anime girl'. It's OK to think that's not great if the male avatar, just like with Byleth, ends up fully clothed instead.

I mean, by all means tell to me to shut up when I'm banging on about a story or game mechanics or whatever, but don't shout down criticism from people fed up with female characters being treated like that.

I don't think discussion about that is actionable by mods or anything, but it's definitely contributed to the lack of participation in the fire emblem community threads compared to the old place (that and of course since it's been 4 years since TH ) but people have migrated.

I'm just awaiting a new edelgard is a fascist thread etc (asides the new one we got this week)

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Reactionary "This is as bad as Xenoblade 2!" comments aren't criticism. That is pure hyperbole that expects to be taken as simple, undeniable fact.
I don't know, to me Joyconhead does look more Xenoblade 2-ish than other FE characters. And I don't like it, and that's okay.

Now we pretend different games don't have particular art styles, I guess.

It's fitting people are arguing about Xenoblade 2 because Rex is the first thing that comes to mind when I see that awful MC design
I wonder why many people share the same opinion. Hyperbole, maybe 🤔

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Reactionary "This is as bad as Xenoblade 2!" comments aren't criticism. That is pure hyperbole that expects to be taken as simple, undeniable fact.

If it reminds someone of XB2 designs, that's not invalid just because you wave your magic wand and say "hyperbole." Want to know what's hyperbole? Calling that fanart design "a head poking out of armor," just because it doesn't feature the pushed up breasts and thigh windows.

Not all XB2 designs were Dahlia. There were plenty of other, slightly more restrained but still shitty "normal anime girl" designs... in both Xenoblade 1 and 2. It's a series rife with stupid and sexualized designs for its women, with few exceptions (thank god for Morag), so I can completely understand the point of comparison.

I don't think discussion about that is actionable by mods or anything, but it's definitely contributed to the lack of participation in the fire emblem community threads compared to the old place.

The Fire Emblem community thread wasn't at all lacking in activity until several of the active posters in it left the forum or were banned.

Clearly people are still itching to discuss Fire Emblem, just look at the recent Edelgard relitigation thread that has 642 posts. It's just that there... hasn't been a new Fire Emblem in 3 years.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
The Fire Emblem community thread wasn't at all lacking in activity until several of the active posters in it left the forum or were banned.

Clearly people are still itching to discuss Fire Emblem, just look at the recent Edelgard relitigation thread that has 642 posts. It's just that there... hasn't been a new Fire Emblem in 3 years.

it was compared to the old place. these threads now have the same 5-6 yelling at each other nonstop and one person trying to catalogue info.

LauraLaMer

Banned
Dec 5, 2021
People have every right to complain and criticize sexualized female designs as much as they want, especially with a series like Fire Emblem which have been notorious for focusing on fan service for most of their female characters in recent games.
3 Houses is pretty toned down in comparison to the new DS games or Heroes.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I think the cast of TH are really cool and it's part of the reason the discussion around Byleth died off and shifted to Edelgard's actions when it came out, as the outfits of most of the characters in it are great. However, the Heroes gacha stuff has a load of awful art though, and continued to release it regularly long after TH came out, even if Heroes launched before it. I'm not surprised people are wary of how the women are going to be treated in this new game following Heroes. Let's hope we get something closer to TH.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If it reminds someone of XB2 designs, that's not invalid just because you wave your magic wand and say "hyperbole." Want to know what's hyperbole? Calling that fanart design "a head poking out of armor," just because it doesn't feature the pushed up breasts and thigh windows.
I called it a head poking out of armor because that's it felt like to me. The character in a drab suit of armor.

Is that the most in-depth critique? No, of course not. But again, the discussion steered into the direction of near self-parody with people treating Lucina as though she were dressed like Camilla.

Fire Emblem has always, always lacked realism in its character designs for the sake of aesthetics. Outside of the armored knight class units and cavaliers, very few characters, including Lords, have worn what people would classify as realistic protection for a battlefield. Some games and some characters are more stylized in some aspects than others, but there's nothing even recently new about this for the Fire Emblem series or a great deal of fantasy media in general.

If Lyn were a new character debuting as the Lord of this next game with the same design she had in FE7, I guarantee you people would be flipping out at first sight of her appearance and fanartists/photoshoppers would be trying to "fix" her.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is stopping anybody from criticizing designs they don't like. I'm just saying, after a point it becomes redundant and only serves to drive off discussion. I know I stopped bothering with Xenoblade 2 threads on here, and if this is any indication I am absolutely not doing it again with the Gust Fire Emblem game either. Is it really that important to some of you to shit on the designs any chance you get for as long as years?

And to be clear, I'm not defending the designs. I'm not a fan of that one, and I wasn't a fan of those from Xenoblade. I agree but it's tiring all the same. I really hope once the official reveal comes we'll have other things to focus on.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Nobody is stopping anybody from criticizing designs they don't like. I'm just saying, after a point it becomes redundant and only serves to drive off discussion. I know I stopped bothering with Xenoblade 2 threads on here, and if this is any indication I am absolutely not doing it again with the Gust Fire Emblem game either. Is it really that important to some of you to shit on the designs any chance you get for as long as years?

And to be clear, I'm not defending the designs. I'm not a fan of that one, and I wasn't a fan of those from Xenoblade. I agree but it's tiring all the same. I really hope once the official reveal comes we'll have other things to focus on.
I agree, unfortunately the leak has meant that the most striking piece of info we have is the main character design, when by design it's meant to stand out and grab attention compared to the other troops.

I really want to hear more about the campaign structure, it sounds like something between SoV and Sacred Stones at the moment in terms of the map

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
True but female Byleth is still a egregious example, and doubly annoying when it's the MC. It's one thing if it's a side character but now anyone who wants to play the female MC has to deal with the three way fanservice punch of boob armor, exposed thighs, and armor heels of this new one.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
If Lyn were a new character debuting as the Lord of this next game with the same design she had in FE7, I guarantee you people would be flipping out at first sight of her appearance and fanartists/photoshoppers would be trying to "fix" her.

I remember when somebody accused Awakening of causing's ayra pantless design in cipher/heroes when that change happened in 1999. Not that my memory is perfect either.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i think it's good that fanartists are trying their hand at Mx. Colgate because the design is an absolute mess

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York

That's not the fan's problem. That's on IS and other devs for their design choices, so long as they continue to put out bad and needlessly sexualized designs people are going to criticize them for it. Especially so in the early days of a new game since all we usually have at that point are designs to look at with scant solid details on the game otherwise. Things always shift once the game releases and people get hands on experience with the actual mechanics, character, and story writing to add to the discussion. But until then most the tangible element we have is the visual direction.

This designs is shitty and we want them to do better. I swear some of ya'll complain about the criticism more than there are criticisms themselves. Want to talk about driving off discussion people don't want to engage in a topic when they've got people "well actually-ing" them every time someone says the design is shit because so and so also didn't wear armor or Y character from another game exists and is worse so you're a hypocrite for liking that game. It's pathetic and it's bullshit tactics to try and dissuade people from voicing their opinions.

Plenty of other things are brought up for discussion but even many of those topics get poopoo'd for being too critical. Discussions about grinding or reclassing and how to improve them get largely ignored or get responses basically framing it as older FE fans yelling at clouds. Like what do you actually want to discuss? Just a circle jerk of how awesome FE is?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Honestly, both designs frankly suck.

The leaked design is awful, unnecessarily sexualised and reminds me way too much of the terrible XB2 designs, but on the other hand, without any further context to the leaked MC, the reworked design above looks dull, generic and completely unmemorable - and the fact that the leaked design is terrible doesn't detract from this issue.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the fan's problem. That's on IS and other devs for their design choices, so long as they continue to put out bad and needlessly sexualized designs people are going to criticize them for it. Especially so in the early days of a new game since all we usually have at that point are designs to look at with scant solid details on the game otherwise. Things always shift once the game releases and people get hands on experience with the actual mechanics, character, and story writing to add to the discussion. But until then most the tangible element we have is the visual direction.

This designs is shitty and we want them to do better. I swear some of ya'll complain about the criticism more than there are criticisms themselves. Want to talk about driving off discussion people don't want to engage in a topic when they've got people "well actually-ing" them every time someone says the design is shit because so and so also didn't wear armor or Y character from another game exists and is worse so you're a hypocrite for liking that game. It's pathetic and it's bullshit tactics to try and dissuade people from voicing their opinions.

Plenty of other things are brought up for discussion but even many of those topics get poopoo'd for being too critical. Discussions about grinding or reclassing and how to improve them get largely ignored or get responses basically framing it as older FE fans yelling at clouds. Like what do you actually want to discuss? Just a circle jerk of how awesome FE is?
Let's continue then. Let's shit on the design now, then when it's revealed officially, then when it releases, and every damn time a thread will be made afterward. I don't want to silence anybody. I'm gonna brush past the accusation of being a fanboy that want to circlejerk the franchise, and just leave with one thing in response to your post: this is not about wanting IS to do better, give me a break. This isn't a consumer survey, we're not on the line with them in Japan. This is about venting, pure and simple; It feels good to shit on something we dislike, and in the next thread we'll see the same people doing their same quippy posts about how this is the worst character. That's fine, but let's not pretend this is part of a mouvement to better the game, the series or the industry.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Let's continue then. Let's shit on the design now, then when it's revealed officially, then when it releases, and every damn time a thread will be made afterward. I don't want to silence anybody. I'm gonna brush past the accusation of being a fanboy that want to circlejerk the franchise, and just leave with one thing in response to your post: this is not about wanting IS to do better, give me a break. This isn't a consumer survey, we're not on the line with them in Japan. This is about venting, pure and simple; It feels good to shit on something we dislike, and in the next thread we'll see the same people doing their same quippy posts about how this is the worst character. That's fine, but let's not pretend this is part of a mouvement to better the game, the series or the industry.
It is about wanting IS to do better and also about venting. It can and is both things at the same time. It may not amount to anything, but consumers have very little direct action they can take in order to be heard. There's complaining and bringing up online, which can get recognized if loud enough, and there's not buying the game. Which in itself is a catch 22 as people still like and enjoy the franchise and in most cases like this failure to support the game is far more likely to end with the series simply ceasing to exist rather than than having enough weight and importance for the devs to actually make changes based on that. Maybe once in a blue moon they'll put out an actual survey.

There will always be drive by posters, but there are still plenty of people who are simply voicing their displeasure in the only way they really can. Part of always bringing it up is so that when other forms of action like a survey actually come up people remember to mention and bring up things like this. The sheer normalization of these kinds of design choices and direction in this type of media often leads to people simple accepting it as how things will be and they do their best to ignore it and only focus on other elements.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
While I still hate the two different hair colors and hate even more the two eye colors, if it was something like this it would already be better.

This looks great. Still a lot of fantastical elements but at the same time plenty of other elements to keep it grounded. That combination has always been what defined Fire Emblem character designs for me and I'm not seeing it in the new protag's actual design.

Oct 25, 2017
I usually play as the Male MCs for the FE games. So I wondering if the male one is gonna be an improvement and I want to see how wacky their design is gonna be. It's odd they didn't leak it with the female MC.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
This looks great. Still a lot of fantastical elements but at the same time plenty of other elements to keep it grounded. That combination has always been what defined Fire Emblem character designs for me and I'm not seeing it in the new protag's actual design.

Yeah, I agree. Fire Emblem has always been fantasy, but it also tries to have some grounded elements with its designs. For example, Sacae always felt Mongolian inspired for example. So it feels fantastical, but also kind of real.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns around sexualization and representation over multiple posts. Constant community metacommentary.

There are certain IPs that cannot be discussed in Resetera and you simply have to accept it. It's always the same conversation with the same arguments by the same people.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah, I agree. Fire Emblem has always been fantasy, but it also tries to have some grounded elements with its designs. For example, Sacae always felt Mongolian inspired for example. So it feels fantastical, but also kind of real.
This has been one of my biggest desires for the series to take more direct inspiration from existing cultures and time periods for its character designs and world building.

There's so many vibrant and interesting looking, and not to mention historically, cultures and regions. I was greatly disappointed in how 3H barely touched upon the regions outside Fodlan which sounded so intriguing. We got the barest of glimpses or descriptions of these places.

3H was especially weird as the Academy clearly took inspiration from 19th century military uniforms for the students and yet nothing else in the world was really like that. It would have been interesting to see a kind of mix of 19th century militarism with medieval style armors and weapons. Instead, we got this hodgepodge of really odd and weird styles like the brawlers and the overly large armors.

I still greatly appreciate Fates for its largely wonderful designs and depiction of Hoshido despite all its other issues. I wish we could get more kingdoms and factions with as much detail and inspiration from real world cultures.

Hell even the kind of weird mashup of Greco-Roman and generic Medieval fantasy the series started with was great and would be fun to see a modern take on that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Any thin, drive-by-level critique of a design out of context is always going to be met with some level of backlash. Like you said, all we really have for discussion are these screens and a few other speculative points. That means a lot of discussion hyperfocused on character design that is clearly not gunning for realism. People have their different lines in the sand in terms of what's considered objectionable, as well.

We don't know a thing about Toothpaste outside of how the female variant of her looks and dresses in what is presumably her default class. And people are welcome to criticize it, but not everyone is going to agree with every point of criticism.

I don't think anyone here is looking to circlejerk over how awesome the series is. I do think some just don't find much interest in discussing what feels like "the good old days" talk. And I say that as someone who is not a series newcomer in any sense.

There's plenty to discuss and speculate on based on what has been hinted at, and what that might actually look like. The mention of an aquatic city for example, and a main base, made me think of the old location concept art for FE Wii that was published in the 25th anniversary design book. I am really curious to know how many of the formative ideas they had for the game are getting revisited in FE18.

fe11tf.jpg

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
This has been one of my biggest desires for the series to take more direct inspiration from existing cultures and time periods for its character designs and world building.

There's so many vibrant and interesting looking, and not to mention historically, cultures and regions. I was greatly disappointed in how 3H barely touched upon the regions outside Fodlan which sounded so intriguing. We got the barest of glimpses or descriptions of these places.

3H was especially weird as the Academy clearly took inspiration from 19th century military uniforms for the students and yet nothing else in the world was really like that. It would have been interesting to see a kind of mix of 19th century militarism with medieval style armors and weapons. Instead, we got this hodgepodge of really odd and weird styles like the brawlers and the overly large armors.

I still greatly appreciate Fates for its largely wonderful designs and depiction of Hoshido despite all its other issues. I wish we could get more kingdoms and factions with as much detail and inspiration from real world cultures.

Hell even the kind of weird mashup of Greco-Roman and generic Medieval fantasy the series started with was great and would be fun to see a modern take on that.
I love that they had hoshido classes have different weapon types and everything, I would love another FE game in a clear different inspiration besides medieval Europe

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Any thin, drive-by-level critique of a design out of context is always going to be met with some level of backlash. Like you said, all we really have for discussion are these screens and a few other speculative points. That means a lot of discussion hyperfocused on character design that is clearly not gunning for realism. People have their different lines in the sand in terms of what's considered objectionable, as well.

We don't know a thing about Toothpaste outside of how the female variant of her looks and dresses in what is presumably her default class. And people are welcome to criticize it, but not everyone is going to agree with every point of criticism.

I don't think anyone here is looking to circlejerk over how awesome the series is. I do think some just don't find much interest in discussing what feels like "the good old days" talk. And I say that as someone who is not a series newcomer in any sense.

There's plenty to discuss and speculate on based on what has been hinted at, and what that might actually look like. The mention of an aquatic city for example, and a main base, made me think of the old location concept art for FE Wii that was published in the 25th anniversary design book. I am really curious to know how many of the formative ideas they had for the game are getting revisited in FE18.

fe11tf.jpg
IIRC the leaker stated they took inspiration from the Wii game, specifically for the Free roaming in the overworld and cities, and probably SoV as well with the dungeons

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'll say this about overworld and city exploration. While the Monastery was too shallow for the development resources and player time it took up, and my general preference is to revert to a more traditional FE game structure, I do think IS could also address some of the Monastery's problems by pushing even further in that direction and making effectively a Suikoden game. You've got an expanding HQ for interacting with characters, decorating, playing minigames, etc; field exploration for finding new characters and maybe some optional grinding (emphasis on optional -- I'm in the camp that prefers none at all, but I concede the option is valuable to many players); and story battles on the scale of your typical battles from past FEs. One potential benefit of this structure is that the HQ becomes more meaningful as the player spends more time away from it. In 3H, you may as well never have left the Monastery, and geography felt like a total abstraction. But if you had to pick, say, 8-12 units to come on a "campaign" with you to a particular map region, entailing overworld travel and something like 3-4 story battles, then returning to HQ would be a real source of excitement.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I love that they had hoshido classes have different weapon types and everything, I would love another FE game in a clear different inspiration besides medieval Europe
It's a greatly untapped element in the series which would open up a lot of potentially interesting effects on the gameplay, as well as on the various characters and factions we get to interact with in the story.

If there's one thing I wish the series would drop it's this legacy of over the top magical nonsense linked to the lead character and major evil baddy that is really behind it all. I get it, big evil Dragons are a series staple, but they're boring as shit in most cases. People are interesting, people have complex and conflicting motivations that you can get invested in and care about. That's why people love the shit out Edelgard. She's complicated and flawed and passionate. You can still have magical fantastical stuff, but have it be in service to the antagonist, not something that usurps and replaces them at the last minute like it so often does. Those Who Slither in the Dark were so incredibly pointless and boring in comparison to the Three Lords and their visions for the future. The crests alone could have been a great magical element to explore and utilize in their quest for reshaping of Fodlan. You didn't need Nemesis and all that nonsense muddying things up. The Church just being a church and mucking up people's lives is interesting enough.

Same for Fates and the whole Anankos mess. Hoshido and Nohr in some perpetual conflict with Gohr just being devious as hell was more than compelling enough. Awakening was actually OK, but would have been better without all the dumb Robin stuff, instead just focusing on Chrom and Lucinia. Validar as just this dude in the shadows manipulating shit to claim Grima's power, not resurrect him, in order to seek vengeance on the world for what Plegia/Grimleal suffered through could have been a great story. Really add some weight to Chrom and his family's legacy and their part in all this. That's why FE4 largely works so well. Loptous is a thing and major player in everything that occurs but it works well because it's largely in service to what most people really find interesting which is the human motivations and all the familial drama that all the characters in the story are wrapped up in and what is the main focus.

Ashnard and the Black Knight are still two of the best antagonists in the entire series because they're so completely human in their motivations. PoR didn't sell great, but it wasn't the setting or story that caused the game to sell poorly. It just wasn't the right market at the time on the GC and PoR and RD lacked many of the QoL features that made the series more accessible to new players in alter entries.

Most people these days probably like FE for its characters far more than for its SRPG gameplay. So invest in those characters and their stories more, don't dilute them or overshadow them with vague evil entities and forces that don't really add anything thematically or emotionally to the main character's development. It's not easy but it's not rocket science. Focus on developing complex and interesting lead characters and conflicts for them to engage in and really have stakes and thoughts about so that the player can get similarly invested in. Having some super magical, secret legacy is honestly not that interesting most of the time. Especially when it overshadows/usurps or doesn't really factor into the human drama beyond simply being an existential threat. Like of course we're going to fight the pure embodiment of evil, what else are we going to do? There's no moral quandary or dilemma about that.

I'll say this about overworld and city exploration. While the Monastery was too shallow for the development resources and player time it took up, and my general preference is to revert to a more traditional FE game structure, I do think IS could also address some of the Monastery's problems by pushing even further in that direction and making effectively a Suikoden game. You've got an expanding HQ for interacting with characters, decorating, playing minigames, etc; field exploration for finding new characters and maybe some optional grinding (emphasis on optional -- I'm in the camp that prefers none at all, but I concede the option is valuable to many players); and story battles on the scale of your typical battles from past FEs. One potential benefit of this structure is that the HQ becomes more meaningful as the player spends more time away from it. In 3H, you may as well never have left the Monastery, and geography felt like a total abstraction. But if you had to pick, say, 8-12 units to come on a "campaign" with you to a particular map region, entailing overworld travel and something like 3-4 story battles, then returning to HQ would be a real source of excitement.

Fully agree with this. I really wanted the Monastery to feel like the Suikoden bases, evolving and having interesting events and things to find, but it just wasn't that.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
It's a greatly untapped element in the series which would open up a lot of potentially interesting effects on the gameplay, as well as on the various characters and factions we get to interact with in the story.

If there's one thing I wish the series would drop it's this legacy of over the top magical nonsense linked to the lead character and major evil baddy that is really behind it all. I get it, big evil Dragons are a series staple, but they're boring as shit in most cases. People are interesting, people have complex and conflicting motivations that you can get invested in and care about. That's why people love the shit out Edelgard. She's complicated and flawed and passionate. You can still have magical fantastical stuff, but have it be in service to the antagonist, not something that usurps and replaces them at the last minute like it so often does. Those Who Slither in the Dark were so incredibly pointless and boring in comparison to the Three Lords and their visions for the future. The crests alone could have been a great magical element to explore and utilize in their quest for reshaping of Fodlan. You didn't need Nemesis and all that nonsense muddying things up. The Church just being a church and mucking up people's lives is interesting enough.

Same for Fates and the whole Anankos mess. Hoshido and Nohr in some perpetual conflict with Gohr just being devious as hell was more than compelling enough. Awakening was actually OK, but would have been better without all the dumb Robin stuff, instead just focusing on Chrom and Lucinia. Validar as just this dude in the shadows manipulating shit to claim Grima's power, not resurrect him, in order to seek vengeance on the world for what Plegia/Grimleal suffered through could have been a great story. Really add some weight to Chrom and his family's legacy and their part in all this. That's why FE4 largely works so well. Loptous is a thing and major player in everything that occurs but it works well because it's largely in service to what most people really find interesting which is the human motivations and all the familial drama that all the characters in the story are wrapped up in and what is the main focus.

Ashnard and the Black Knight are still two of the best antagonists in the entire series because they're so completely human in their motivations. PoR didn't sell great, but it wasn't the setting or story that caused the game to sell poorly. It just wasn't the right market at the time on the GC and PoR and RD lacked many of the QoL features that made the series more accessible to new players in alter entries.

Most people these days probably like FE for its characters far more than for its SRPG gameplay. So invest in those characters and their stories more, don't dilute them or overshadow them with vague evil entities and forces that don't really add anything thematically or emotionally to the main character's development. It's not easy but it's not rocket science. Focus on developing complex and interesting lead characters and conflicts for them to engage in and really have stakes and thoughts about so that the player can get similarly invested in. Having some super magical, secret legacy is honestly not that interesting most of the time. Especially when it overshadows/usurps or doesn't really factor into the human drama beyond simply being an existential threat. Like of course we're going to fight the pure embodiment of evil, what else are we going to do? There's no moral quandary or dilemma about that.

Fully agree with this. I really wanted the Monastery to feel like the Suikoden bases, evolving and having interesting events and things to find, but it just wasn't that.
I agree with everything you wrote here. I don't think 'protagonist has super special link to the bad guy' is particularly interesting compared to actually interesting character traits. Which is another thing I really dislike about player stand-ins that are just quiet, competent and stoic, as opposed to Claude's charisma, Lucina's desperation and commitment to change the past, Edelgard's self-belief, Ryoma's cinematic samurai, etc. I don't find Robin or Corrin or Byleth in any way interesting compared to any of those, as they don't really have any memorable traits at all.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Additional Stuff:
4 Big Regions (Asked for Names, got none)
Lord's base might be on a flying island
The old lords are like spirits (ghost?) you can summon, kinda like Tokyo Mirage but the game is not a spinoff. (I've never played mirage, someone clarify this)
Does not believe this game relates to the time-line of other games directly. (at least through their playthrough)
As great as 4 big regions sound, I believe three houses had plenty of regions/countries that were surrounding the main 3 on Fodlan. And before the game released, I remember hyping up all the possibilities of how they could essentially play a part in the grand scheme of the plot but they literally ended up just being mostly window dressing which was disappointing.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how they define regions because fates conquest had you going through live five different countries

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
At what point should they just make a FE-style Divinity Game though, which is how I felt about some of the dungeon content from FE:Echoes.

Like, I think having the ability to walk around dungeons is interesting, but managing a really large party (over 20 characters) and using those characters in the dungeons in a way where the fights inside are meaningful is relatively difficult. Most of the fights in Echoes within the dungeon served only as distractions from the main battles.

An above user mentioned Suikoden which I haven't experienced much of myself, but my point is that I think that the series is slowly trying to move away from the turn-based-tactics part and focus more toward turn-based-battles. That's fine, in fact, I miss those types of games too and I think there's definitely room for a hybrid system. However, with the length of the battles from TH and the general lack of difficulty, it just feels a bit like the strategy parts of the game are being a bit neglected in favor for the romancing vibes and leveling up various extra progression systems.

Anyway, there's not a lot to speculate here yet, since most of what we have seen hasn't really given any cause for gameplay concerns. Most of the reason we're all talking about the way the game looks is because, well, it's kind of the only thing we know about the game thus far. There's some room to speculate about why they went with the two hair color design, but I honestly think that doing too much of that is actually more of a disservice to the game.

We're kind of just at the point where we'll need to see what they say their focus is on this game and hope that it matches mostly what we all want to see. I also don't want to be one of these "conservative" fans who constantly thinks that the new games doing new things are instantly shitty.

My only take away from this leak is: After Three Houses, I was hoping that they would improve their art and technical art to a point where I was happy with how the games look ever since they scaled up their production (i.e. no more map sprites, fully 3d battlefields with upclose camera. etc.) While the design for the MC is certainly a hot topic of debate, I will say that I still have hope that the game looks and performs better than TH did on the switch. Let's just keep our fingers crossed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Additional Stuff:
4 Big Regions (Asked for Names, got none)
Lord's base might be on a flying island
The old lords are like spirits (ghost?) you can summon, kinda like Tokyo Mirage but the game is not a spinoff. (I've never played mirage, someone clarify this)
Does not believe this game relates to the time-line of other games directly. (at least through their playthrough)
The Mirages in TMS functioned not as independent units, but rather as the weapons for the player party.

I'd imagine, if this is a mechanic central to the lead character, that in this case it's more like the Einherjar in Awakening. The idea that all of the Lords are available also wouldn't mean this is an amiibo mechanic since most of the Lords don't have them.

I wonder if this game takes place in the Outrealm and the central character has Einherjar Cards of the Lords? 🤔

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
The Mirages in TMS functioned not as independent units, but rather as the weapons for the player party.

I'd imagine, if this is a mechanic central to the lead character, that in this case it's more like the Einherjar in Awakening. The idea that all of the Lords are available also wouldn't mean this is an amiibo mechanic since most of the Lords don't have them.

I wonder if this game takes place in the Outrealm and the central character has Einherjar Cards of the Lords? 🤔
based on all the info we have the cards seem inherent to the world and its a unique and new world, so I doubt it has to do with outrealms. My guess is its going to be some mechanic inherent to the world that allows you to call on the spirits or wisdom of heroes across the games, but that the world itself is not tied to the other worlds at all

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
At what point should they just make a FE-style Divinity Game though, which is how I felt about some of the dungeon content from FE:Echoes.

Like, I think having the ability to walk around dungeons is interesting, but managing a really large party (over 20 characters) and using those characters in the dungeons in a way where the fights inside are meaningful is relatively difficult. Most of the fights in Echoes within the dungeon served only as distractions from the main battles.

An above user mentioned Suikoden which I haven't experienced much of myself, but my point is that I think that the series is slowly trying to move away from the turn-based-tactics part and focus more toward turn-based-battles. That's fine, in fact, I miss those types of games too and I think there's definitely room for a hybrid system. However, with the length of the battles from TH and the general lack of difficulty, it just feels a bit like the strategy parts of the game are being a bit neglected in favor for the romancing vibes and leveling up various extra progression systems.

Oh, I agree that 3H and Echoes neglected map and combat design. I think 3H falls in an unhappy valley where it has redistributed design budget to an addtional game mode (the Monastery) that is a bad example of the form and so doesn't really make up for what's lost elsewhere (I could say something similar about SoV). One way out of the valley is back where you came from -- cut the Monastery/field exploration/dungeons and focus on the battles. As I said, that's the direction I would prefer. But a second way out of the valley is to keep going, put even more resources into the alternate game mode and actually make it good. Suikoden is not a perfect analogy because its core gameplay is built around small-party random encounters (with strategy battles a rare, secondary combat system), but I think it's a pretty good model for how to structure (a) interactions with a huge number of allied characters, (b) HQ development; (c) a story that plays out via both field exploration and some strategy battles.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think a combination of a central base, overworld map, and 3rd person exploration could work if they really go all out and embrace it.

Have an on rails overworld map like SoV, though I'd kill for it be a bit more detailed and dynamic like Ni No Kuni's overworld. When you depart your base have it be a mix of small scale skirmishes and then some more well crafted traditional battles at key points as we progress along our route. At key points we transition to a fully 3D environment to run around in filled with more smaller encounters and branching paths, until we arrive at the key location and have our big well crafted fight in traditional FE style. Said fully explorable places can be a underground passage, ruin, dark forest, or your typical fort or town we're besieging. Make those important locals big events that we can explore in addition to having big set piece fights in. As well as some optional side ones like SoV had with its dungeons, except you know more interesting. More like Paralogues in other games than mostly meaningless dungeons.

But I fully agree with decoyplatypus that it would be best to have us not be able to return to said base once we depart. Or at least hit some critical point in our journey. Going to and from the base should be a big event. One we have to prepare for and with which when we return we can see real changes to it and those that inhabit it. And the same should hold true for the world we explore. Being dotted with towns, camps, and forts we can explore. Those locations can provide some of the services and needs players might have, but not as robust or complete as what you have at base. Returning to base should be a big deal as you can reinvest fully everything you've gain from your latest campaign.

I think this again would be a perfect opportunity to utilize Bonus EXP. Big set piece battles can net you normal EXP during the fight, but all the small scale skirmishes along the way on the world map or in the explorable locations just awards Bonus EXP. Which you can then only dish out when you get back to your main base. Kind of like taking all that accumulated experience from the last campaign and refocusing as training for your troops ahead of their next one.

Would be a great way to shake up the Supports too. You could still have your CBAS major supports that occur at the main base, but then you could also have intermediary Supports like 3H had, but have those occur in the field. Either by bringing back traditional in battle Support convos or have them occur in camps or towns.

I love traditional FE, no fluff straight to the point chapter to chapter, but honestly I would kind of like to see them try something grand like this even more so. SoV structure and style had a lot of potential. It was a shame they didn't do more with it and didn't update the maps. Not to mention having it release after the Switch launch.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Gonna be honest, the boob armor and thighs and all don't bother me at all. I get why they bother some people (and there are definitely more egregious, icky examples), but the leaked MC's design is cute and that's good enough for me. Not to be a stereotypical anime fan weirdo, but I don't really care if designs are practical all that much, and showing thighs usually looks good on characters to me aesthetically, and I say that as an ace woman. I'm a big Atelier fan, though, so I obviously have a tolerance for that type of thing lol.

Now, the red/blue hair? That one leaked image with the front shot looks fine, though I wonder if the MC will look goofy standing next to everyone else with one-tone hair. Peri kinda looked silly like that. However, Peri was such an annoying character that it might've contributed to that even beyond her hair.

On a different note, if the previous lords are like spirits you can summon, I wonder what limitations they have or how they function as playable characters? I need my Seliph and Ephraim. If this is lords, I hope both Seliph and Sigurd are there and they don't just go with one of them :/

I loved micromanaging classes and getting skills from them in Three Houses, but I do kind of miss characters being very "defined" in their roles in older games, so whichever way this game goes, it'll be okay with me. Sometimes doing the teaching in Three Houses was stressful (made me feel like I wasn't doing things optimally), so it might do me a favor if they toned it down a little.