• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Unsure if there's a way to embed the original video on here, but the loading screen is titled: wz_forest_loadingmovie

wz_forest_ftdboutro

wz_ski_slopes_ftdboutro

wz_ski_slopes_loadingmovie

Now, to point out the obvious, these are maps for Black Ops Cold War Multiplayer. But anyone's whose played Warzone and the MW19 mode, Ground War, knows that the Warzone map was cut up to make Ground Wars maps. So it's very possible that is the case here, where a bunch of the Combined Arms maps in Cold War will just be cut up from the greater Warzone map.

3 Months ago the CoD YouTuber XclusiveAce leaked a bunch of stuff about Black Ops Cold War, one of which was this:

• No Ground War (32v32) map currently in the game, but there is a mode which takes place on sections of the new Warzone map. This could just end up being Ground War as that's basically what Infinity Ward did with Modern Warfare
  • The new Warzone map is set in Russia. Named locations include Mines, Chemical Lab, Weather Station, Ski Slopes, Duga, Zoo and Battery. As said previously, there's a big lake in the middle (a bit to the bottom left). Bottom right is snowy with mountains and it's where the Ski Slopes and Weather Station are. Just north of that is the Chemical Lab with a swampy area, and north of that are the Mines. West of that is Duga, which appears to be based on the radio array at Chernobyl. Battery is on the mid-West of the map, with a small city in the middle of the map. The Zoo is just south of the city. Guess is that the map is a bit smaller than Modern Warfare's Warzone map, although more open.

Not going to lie, I really hope this is true, because I LOVE the look of this map already.

Edit: Also further lending credence to this, the first map shown, the forest one, is called Firebomb, that was datamined in Warzone awhile back.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
This looks highly probable, looks more like a data mining stuff than a leak.

I still wonder how Warzone will work, given how different MW and BOCW play.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Please god be in the MW engine and don't involve an engine change as I much, much prefer it

The leak also said this:

MP maps will NOT have interactable doors, Warzone will have them

Which would imply that the "cut up" maps in BOCW won't have doors but they will have doors when you go to that area in Warzone.

Plus, Warzone isn't changing engines as it's still going to be using everything it already has.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
The leak also said this:

Which would imply that the "cut up" maps in BOCW won't have doors but they will have doors when you go to that area in Warzone.

Plus, Warzone isn't changing engines as it's still going to be using everything it already has.
Interesting. This is the ideal.. Guess the question becomes what it'll play like. Assume this will be part of the next season?

mtel

Oct 29, 2017

Unsure if there's a way to embed the original video on here, but the loading screen is titled: wz_forest_loadingmovie

wz_forest_ftdboutro

wz_ski_slopes_ftdboutro

wz_ski_slopes_loadingmovie

Now, to point out the obvious, these are maps for Black Ops Cold War Multiplayer. But anyone's whose played Warzone and the MW19 mode, Ground War, knows that the Warzone map was cut up to make Ground Wars maps. So it's very possible that is the case here, where a bunch of the Combined Arms maps in Cold War will just be cut up from the greater Warzone map.

3 Months ago the CoD YouTuber XclusiveAce leaked a bunch of stuff about Black Ops Cold War, one of which was this:

Not going to lie, I really hope this is true, because I LOVE the look of this map already.

Edit: Also further lending credence to this, the first map shown, the forest one, is called Firebomb, that was datamined in Warzone awhile back.

Fireteam seems to be the Ground War replacement in CW and those map intros match the descriptions that Treyarch put out earlier this week, so it would not be surprising if this was the case.

Will Warzone be in the Cold War client? When you selected it from the menu in the beta it just quit the game and opened MW19. Ideally I'd like if they could just combine it into one so I don't have to worry about uninstalling the other MW modules, but maybe if the games are on separate engines that is not possible.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Fireteam seems to be the Ground War replacement in CW and those map intros match the descriptions that Treyarch put out earlier this week, so it would not be surprising if this was the case.

Will Warzone be in the Cold War client? When you selected it from the menu in the beta it just quit the game and opened MW19. Ideally I'd like if they could just combine it into one so I don't have to worry about uninstalling the other MW modules, but maybe if the games are on separate engines that is not possible.

We have no idea. But since Warzone is a different engine, I'm guessing it will be it's own client.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we can play both maps. I know there's a rumour going round that Verdansk will get nuked but it's nice to have options.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I hope it won't be a full 100GB Warzone download again. With a new map I think it might be though.

I like the look of that potential new map anyway.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not really possible to tell at this point, but I guess it could be possible.

Though most hints and/or leaks through Warzone do point towards something with Uzbekistan. And even though I think these environments could possibly in Uzbekistan considering the varied nature there, I'm getting more Russian vibes. Especially considering the setting in Cold War of course.

Last but not least, especially that first clip, looks a bit underdesigned for Warzone. A lot of the areas in the current Warzone can be pretty simple, especially the non named area's. But these look especially barebones, doubly more so if you look at the environments they sit in.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Looks really good, I'm curious about the what'll happen with the existing Warzone client though... would they run two maps?

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My understanding based on seeing a bunch of data miners and leakers discussing this stuff is that these are the Fireteam mode maps. They are reused from what was once a new Warzone map, but that map has now been scrapped in favor of keeping Verdansk. Instead they took the work that had been done and broke it up similar to how Ground War and Spec Ops use portions of the Verdansk Warzone map.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I think for warzone 2020 they will use the MW19/WZ app since if you select warzone on BOCW beta it launches MW19 plus this coincides with the wispers that for CW they will simply reskin the current version of warzone.

Potential Second Additional Map

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Not the only new map coming to Warzone
8gb21q6v94q51.jpg

Soviet remake of Blackout's Alcatraz. Probably a player count of around 40.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love that you can see the snowy mountains in the far back of the forst video. Hope the map is massive.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
If the ski slopes dont have useable ski lifts or gondolas ima be bummed. Or at least some fun slide mechanic on the main slope runs or something.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Hope so, verdansk is boring and stale now, need something new and fresh.
can't believe they went this long with such minor changes and got away with it. I remember apex getting bad press for not changing maps by season 3 lol.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will since Warzone is a Raven joint

Yeah. I'm still really curious how Black Ops Cold War weapons will work. Like can you only use them on the new maps?

There's going to be numerous duplicate guns too like the MP7 and AK47.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that Alcatraz was added as a BR map to CoD Mobile, but it doesn't have the new design from the Warzone datamine.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'm still really curious how Black Ops Cold War weapons will work. Like can you only use them on the new maps?

There's going to be numerous duplicate guns too like the MP7 and AK47.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that Alcatraz was added as a BR map to CoD Mobile, but it doesn't have the new design from the Warzone datamine.
It will be strange. I'm thinking we might have a Treyarch Arsenal, and a Raven Arsenal, balanced differently

I do hope to god that Warzone is untouched. Cold War is such a bummer on the presentation front.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It will be strange. I'm thinking we might have a Treyarch Arsenal, and a Raven Arsenal, balanced differently

I do hope to god that Warzone is untouched. Cold War is such a bummer on the presentation front.

Imagine if the BOCW Warzone map looks better when played in Warzone then in BOCW lol

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Warzone will even be part of the Warzone download or if they'll just ask you to download the standalone client instead. I hope they don't force you to download and install Warzone with every new CoD.

Well I'm guessing Warzone will always be it's own client but with Next-Gen the swapping between games will be much easier and faster.

This will be due to Warzone being it's own engine. Though the next MW game might be tethered to it due to sharing the same engine again.

If anything the better question is if Warzone will be split from MW19 or will it always be tethered together?

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
To be honest I would be happy if they change Warzone to the Treyarch engine.
I prefer the colourful look of Blackout compared to the grimmy, muddy look of Modern Warfare.
And after playing Verdansk for a looong time (18 days of playtime in Warzone and 8 days of playtime in MP) it is time for a change.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I would be happy if they change Warzone to the Treyarch engine.
I prefer the colourful look of Blackout compared to the grimmy, muddy look of Modern Warfare.
And after playing Verdansk for a looong time (18 days of playtime in Warzone and 8 days of playtime in MP) it is time for a change.

Engine has nothing to do with color. It's a stylistic choice. Also changing over the engine would not only be terrible but take a ton of work for no benefit. The engine used for MW19 is clearly better than BOCW, the latter of which was clearly thrown together at the last second due to the development troubles of the game. Otherwise it would be using the same engine as what was originally intended.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
WZ my most played mp so yeah I'm fucking hyped for a new map. Looks great.

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
Engine has nothing to do with color. It's a stylistic choice. Also changing over the engine would not only be terrible but take a ton of work for no benefit. The engine used for MW19 is clearly better than BOCW, the latter of which was clearly thrown together at the last second due to the development troubles of the game. Otherwise it would be using the same engine as what was originally intended.

As far as I remember it was mentioned that the Treyarch and the IW engine share a lot of technologies and techniques which makes sense as they are both Activision studios.
But if that is the case or not you are absolutely right sir, I would love a stylistic change to the Treyarch art direction for Warzone.
I want bold colours back to rid of the brown, green, washed out look of Warzone.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I remember it was mentioned that the Treyarch and the IW engine share a lot of technologies and techniques which makes sense as they are both Activision studios.
But if that is the case or not you are absolutely right sir, I would love a stylistic change to the Treyarch art direction for Warzone.
I want bold colours back to rid of the brown, green, washed out look of Warzone.

You'll probably get that change for the new map but Verdansk isn't going to change.

It is true that they shared technologies, though the idea with the MW19 engine was to finally bring the entire series under one singular engine rather than each of them having their own heavily modified one. But once Treyarch took over the CoD 2020 project, they decided to keep using the engine they were already using since learning a whole new engine for a game they have far less time to work on wouldn't be ideal.

I can see Treyarch's next game using the MW19 engine.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to post this yesterday, but in case you needed further proof...

In the Fireteam mode you even have armor plates and lootable boxes.