• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you going with?

• Lite

Votes: 191 25.7%
  • OG

Votes: 552 74.3%

• Total voters

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Lite because of Mariko and smaller size/screen. I would never use it on a tv.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes?

You are losing hd rumble, smaller screen, no joycons, no kickstand, no dock.

Allow the OPTION of buying a new dock or SOMETHING that will allow me in the future to connect to a tv. Even if its 70 or 80 bucks. Don't lock me out forever. A lite only dock or something that if one day I want to connect to a tv, I can spend the money and do it.
In that case they'd just sell the OG Switch at a lower price without the dock.

This forum makes me laugh sometimes, waiting for trains that never arrive.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I have a Switch but if I didn't I'd get the OG.

Why? Because it's a Switch. I can play it in handheld or docked. The Lite is only a Switch in name. If you are all about portability then get the Lite but if you want the selling feature of the platform get the OG.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lite all the way, the original is a rip off. Better battery, better portability, better dpad, better reability, better price. It's what the original launch should have been really.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
As a current Switch owner, I'm also relieved by the revision news. I don't have to worry about upgrading for a while now, as I have basically no reason to be tempted by a Lite. I play handheld/tv about 50/50... but even if I played on TV only rarely, it's such a nice feature to have. The Lite has a reason to exist as it has an impressive price-point, but a current Switch owner like myself has nothing to be jealous of. I feel I've still got the "Deluxe" model of the two. I know the Lite has a slightly better battery life, and that D-pad is nice (still hoping they release a left joycon with the + but I've actually gotten accustomed enough to the buttons) but unless the Lite somehow secretly performs better (and all indications is that it won't), I'm cool lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I've been waiting for an enhanced/pro Switch, but it doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon (or at all?), so I'd go with the og. The display is too small on the Lite, and it can't output to a TV.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I bought a Switch last month, a bit worried about a potential upgrade down the line. Had the Lite been available at the time, I think I would have gone with it, but I've come to enjoy playing on TV and I don't regret my purchase because of the announcement.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
In that case they'd just sell the OG Switch at a lower price without the dock.

This forum makes me laugh sometimes, waiting for trains that never arrive.
They could've still saved money by taking the tech out of the joycons like they did. But they're probably making bank on docks and joycons at those prices so removing them must not have even been close to the hundred dollar drop.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I was all on board for a Lite until I found out that it doesn't dock, so I'll be waiting for the revised version of the OG.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Already have a Switch, but if I was in the market for my first, it would definitely be the OG. Not interested in a handheld only Switch at all.

I would say my play time is split between handheld and TV mode, and it's the ultimate portable console to bring with me to friends or when I'm traveling(and hook it up to the hotel TV).

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I have had the OG Switch since launch and it has never once been docked. I am not even sure if I know where the doc is. For me I would go with the Lite since I like the colours.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
My partner has an OG and I'm honestly very relieved that the Lite is coming out.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
If you force me to choose, I choose OG every time. No interest in a handheld-only system right now. I'd sooner buy the opposite product, an anchored home console with more processing power.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
I might do light due to price and im probably gonna use it mostly for portable gaming

Also bayo 3 and astral chain

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
For me , its definitely OG model cos the main feature of Switch is to 'switch between TV and portable' or to 'switch from my room to wherever i go'
another factor is the separate joycon , imagine drifting issues on the lite model ,thats all i can say for now...

but considering fellow gamers with kids , the lite model is definitely a good purchase for them and the price is quite affordable.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
The reveal got me hyped for an hour, but placed an order for OG immediately once I realised the screen size is barely larger than my phone

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
You really should also ask the parents here what they'd get for their kids.

Personally, I'm buying one for my 8 year old as a birthday gift.

Oct 25, 2017
I made it a point to wait for the Lite after the news of an exclusively portable Switch broke. I don't really have a need for the play-on-TV aspect of the original model, seeing as how I've been spending a lot of time away from home lately. $100 cheaper is nice too.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
All I wanted from Nintendo was to make it smaller, with better battery life, and a dock that doesn't scratch the screen. They nailed all three of those, but I didn't think that they would solve the last issue by removing the dock entirely. Seriously, I didn't want them to remove any functionality, that's quite a letdown.

Late last year I bought a 3DS, but I've just not been using it a lot recently - I've discovered that I'd rather be reading a book or taking a nap when travelling, and at home I'm mostly spending time with my Xbox. So to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm in the market for a Switch at all right now, but if I was, I guess that I'd be going with the original model.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Already own the OG, but if I didn't, the OG would still be my choice. Wife and I play on the big screen all the time.

The Lite looks like a great option for those that know they'll never use the TV though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I've got OG but only use handheld because I've got PC/Pro/X for TV gaming. So I was tempted to replace with a Lite but the smaller screen is a deal breaker. I thought it would have same size screen but with a smaller bezel. The screen is already a bit too small on OG Switch for some games IMO, especially stuff like Bayonetta.

So if I was buying Switch for the first time today I'd still go for OG even though I have no interest in the dock (or the awful HD rumble for that matter).

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The size difference may be worth it for some, and I can see that. It looks to be a good bit smaller, which is pretty cool.

But for me, probably the biggest reason I was excited for the Switch in the first place was for playing "handheld" games like Pokemon on the TV, and especially since there are several games I highly prefer to play on TV (e.g. Mario, Zelda, and Splatoon), I need the TV output.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
As a launch Switch owner, I'm getting a yellow Switch lite. I use the OG Switch in handheld mode 99% of the time, usually while relaxed on the couch or in bed, so the extra reduction in weight is a big deal. If you've ever held an OG PS Vita up in bed versus the slim Vita, you know what I'm talking about - the reduced weight mitigates the strain by a huge amount. The smaller size will also make it less bulky in my bag when I take it out the house.

I mean.... if I'm at home anyway, and in the mood to play something on my TV or monitor, I'd rather not subject myself to NSW-level resolution when the PS4 Pro and the PC are right there, waiting to be flipped on. If I wanna play a Switch game at home, ill just turn on the handheld and find a comfortable spot to kick back in. In most games I've played, the smaller screen manages to cover up for the lower overall resolution anyway.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
My partner has an OG and I'm honestly very relieved that the Lite is coming out.
I'm really liking the idea of my partner and I having the main Switch that we have now that we share, and maybe down the line picking up a Switch Lite for various multiplayer kind of things and whatnot. We both kind of prefer handheld mode, and it'd be nice to have our own screens sometimes, but my greatest hope is that somewhere down the line, a merciful Nintendo will create a Wii U like functionality for the whales with two Switches.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I was waiting for a switch mini reveal and now that we have one I think I'd prefer the og switch. The only issue now is that I would rather have the rumoured slightly revised switch, so back to waiting.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
OG, of course.

I'm not that interested in a Switch without Switch capabilities. And the price reduction is not enough to compensate for the missing features.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Lite - just because it's cheap and Nintendo games are too expensive already.
And if I want to play on monitor I would buy a Pro Controller anyway, so we are talking 150$-ish difference between OG & Lite.

But I didn't think about the 2p "handheld" support for OG so if my GF would have an opinion she would opt for OG

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
planned on playing most switch stuff in bed, my entertainment center is stuffed as is. so i don't see why i shouldn't go with lite

if i planned on playing stuff like witcher 3 i definitely wouldn't want to take the hit in undocked mode but i imagine BotW2 and perhaps metroid prime 4 are going to be the ceiling on hardware demanding games i'll play

may go with OG just to cover my bases. depends on how much i feel like spending at the time i guess

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I am so relieved we finally know what the revision entails. I'm now confident that I can purchase the Switch that's available in stores now and not regret it a few months down the line. The no TV/out absolutely killed the Lite for me. So what are others thinking?
Regret is exactly why I haven't bought a Switch even though I'v been interested in it since it launched. If I get any of the hardware problems, that's an instant regret for me.

I'm hoping the Light won't have nearly as many potential flaws.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I think there's a fairly clear decision tree for most people, depending on very few factors:

New to Switch - If yes, do you see yourself ever wanting to play it with someone else or wanting to play on tv sometimes ? If yes to either, OG Switch. If no to both, Switch Lite.

Own a Switch and the additional Switch is for you - will you want to play with the second Switch with someone else or play it on a tv somewhere other than home? If yes to either, OG Switch. If no to both, Switch Lite.

Own a Switch and Switch is for someone else in your household - will they ever want to play it with someone else or play on tv? If yes to either, OG Switch - unless they are someone who will likely drop their Switch from time to time. If no to both or it's someone who is likely to drop their Switch from time to time, Switch Lite.

Switch Home station only please.

Switch - $299.99 *TV and portable
Switch Lite - $199.99 *Portable only
Switch Home - $139.99 *Home only
If Switch "home station" ever happens, I expect it to be not earlier than 2-3 years from today. $100 off is as much as Nintendo are willing to "devalue" the Switch these days. The way it's selling and will continue to sell in the coming two years, I don't see them coming out with anything that is less than $200 MSRP during that period.

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Lite doesn't make sense to me. I'm not a frequent mobile gamer but don't want to miss the option. With the lite I miss the option to play on my TV, though. And I can't imagine to play games like BotW NOT on a big screen.

As for the price, I rather wait and save a bit more and go for the og without any compromises.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
100% OG, especially if you plan on getting Joy-Cons. You'd have to get an additional charging dock for them. With Joy-Cons and charging dock you'll end up at the price of an OG Switch anyway.

I know that some people can't wait to save up money but I'd rather wait a month or two than purchase the Lite version.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
OG for me, that's what i'll recommend for people like me.
the switch is my relief system, so i can play when my carpal channel syndrome gets too bothering.
Relaxed, laying back, with arms loosely hanging, i can play without discomfort when i cannot hold a classic controller or a mouse anymore.