• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you going with?

• Lite

Votes: 191 25.7%
  • OG

Votes: 552 74.3%

• Total voters

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I've got a switch but voting for some friends:
Friends who only want to play a few games (mainly animal crossing, story of seasons, etc.): lite--just a bigger 3ds basically.
Friends who would like to play a wider selection: OG--don't want to worry about joycons going bad and not being replaceable.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to use it as a handheld then the Lite is best. The OG is really uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time when playing certain games.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
The types of games I want to play on this are better on handhelds, Lite for me.
Had a OG in the past but sold it away for lack of use

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Genuinely how did any of you expect the lite to have a TV out?

Nintendo we're going to offer a new model that can basically do the same as the original but at a lower price point?

yeah but, a hdmi out and a cheap plastic stand stand=essentially zero cost to nintendo. they clearly wanted to artificially cripple this.

although i guess youd have to buy external joy cons anyway, which would basically add the 100 back to the price anyway?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Not surprised more people on here will still go with an original for TV purposes.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'd pick Lite if I didn't already have a Switch, given how it's so much cheaper and that I don't play on the TV very often these days.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I was advising someone I'd say OG. It's just better value and you can get it at £160 or so quite regularly these days, but we won't see any discounts on the Lite for quite some time. So an extra £60 for all that extra functionality? Worth it I think.

The original in portable mode is hard enough on the hands as it is. The new smaller model looks like cramp city for adult hands.

For male hands. Get sick of this "wah my hands are too big" crap on game forums all the time as if men are the only people who play video games.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The Lite would be amazing if it still had some option to dock, even if it involved buying extra hardware. Like this I think It's the worse option.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Lite all the way, I don't sit behind a TV anymore at all and so the switch lite is the best option for me.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
OG.

Lite never needed to happen in its current form. The only benefit is price, but that's an artificial improvement which ultimately stems from an anti-consumer decision.

The OG could have been close to $199 in 2017 if they didnt charge a ludicrous $90 for the dock or let you buy it separately.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Lite, definitely. For me the most interesting thing about the Switch is the handheld option. As a home console, and with a 4K TV, it's pretty meh. If I'm going to use my TV I rather play with other hardware.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I have pre-ordered both the turquoise and Pokémon Lite one but I am not sure which one I will keep (most likely turquoise though). Gonna sell my OG Switch in September because I am playing exclusively in handheld mode anyways.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lite.

I'm an international student who's living in a dorm. I have literally no use for a TV out as I don't have a TV.

But the more important thing for me is the price. 260 CAD is a huge drop from 370 CAD pre-tax.

Also the Lite's basically the Vita's spiritual successor, which is my favorite platform, so... :P

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
I am back and forth so I will wait and see. Main reason why I would buy a switch is that me and my wife is looking for a house. That would increase my time in public transport which means that I think my main gaming time will be in public transport. Especially as I hopefully will become a dad soon. This indicates that the lite would be good (especially as it has a dpad). However once every year me and my Icelandic friend meets up and have a game night. NSMBU would be nice to play together...

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Lite, not interested in playing the switch on the big screen. I mostly game on the PC anyways.

def lite, dont care about playing on a tv, i have ps4 and pc for that

Strange reason, you can not play Zelda, Mario Kart, etc. on your TV with PS4, PC or Lite.

It's always good to have options, and the Lite has practically no real advantage over Switch besides a bit lower price.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I play the vast majority of the time in handheld mode, but I see no reason to switch to a Lite. I actually like the original Switch precisely because of its size and big screen. Most of the time I spend playing games on Switch, I'm either in bed or on the sofa while me or my fiance watches Netflix. The Lite brings no benefit to me.

JohanKRS

Oct 27, 2017
Torres, RS - Brazil
My launch day OG died last month, was waiting for the Lite reveal to purchase another one. Went with the OG again. 5.5" is too small for me, and I like TV out for Mario Kart and Smash multi.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
OG or the new version. I love portable systems but the pictures of the Lite make it look too big for me to get it as a pure portable. At that size I'd might as well get the more versatile normal sized one.

andrespi

Oct 27, 2017
Lite for me. I actually waited and didn't buy the OG, in favour for a more portable/smaller, with a longer battery life and cheaper version for all these years. Not interested in playing in front of tv (haven't been playing anymore in front of tv for a long time/years)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's always good to have options, and the Lite has practically no real advantage over Switch besides a bit lower price.

The Lite has better controls (actual D-Pad & no desync issues like a regular Switch sometimes has), is smaller & lighter which should make it more comfortable to use portably, and has slightly better battery life. If all you want is a portable system, the Switch Lite is cheaper AND generally the better experience.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Most likely the Lite because I wanted it almost exclusively as a handheld. I would've liked the option to dock it, but it is a feature I would've most likely only tinkered with once in a while, so it wasn't a dealbreaker. I prefer having the dpad (I was going to buy a dpad joycon when I bought a Switch any way) and prefer having the controls integrated (no joycons).

I could be swayed by a Pro model, but if that's not happening any time soon the pros of the Lite outweigh the cons for me.

Only problem are the icky colours. Grey is the best of a bad bunch. They're holding out on that black. :/

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OG. I know the revised OG form is not announced yet, but it looks like it will be something minimal. I want get a cheap console and I want play at TV, thank you very much.

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
Well I've been waiting for an improved "pro" version but it seems like the "new" OG is the best I can hope for so probably that.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I honestly don't really get why any potential buyer would go for the lite unless budget was that much of a concern.

Switch does everything the Lite does and more, and the only real improvement the Lite has is the dpad and like an extra hour and a half of battery?
It's only like an inch smaller isn't it?

Do people hate TVs that much?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If the "Lite" Switch was compatible with TV Play I'd sell off my existing hardware and move to the "Lite model.

I love playing on a TV but the original hardware is just too dang big to be toting around with me.

At this point if they released a TV-only model I'd probably buy that and a Lite and sell off the original Switch.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends if the new revision actually does help with performance and image quality. I think the original Switch is an unsightly wonky piece of hardware so I'd much rather go for the Lite. Higher DPI, sturdier, usable d-pad etc.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Friends who would like to play a wider selection: OG--don't want to worry about joycons going bad and not being replaceable.

Really confused as to why anyone would think that 'joycon drift' would be any sort of problem on the Switch Lite. They haven't just strapped OG joycons into a plastic shell. It's an entirely new unit.

Depends if the new revision actually does help with performance and image quality.

It's not going to. There have been loads of sources over the last few days basically saying "the OG Switch revision is going to be a very minor update containing the same chip as the Lite which mainly will benefit battery life", and still people are holding on to a fantasy of higher resolutions etc, when every single piece of evidence points to that not being the case.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Really confused as to why anyone would think that 'joycon drift' would be any sort of problem on the Switch Lite. They haven't just strapped OG joycons into a plastic shell. It's an entirely new unit.

Because the current joy-cons have a ton of issues and there haven't been any changes made to them within the last 2 years to make them less issue prone, so it's fair for people to worry that Nintendo won't change that much here? Plus if they do end up having issues a year down the line...you literally can't do anything. Here's an article addressing how it's an actual concern given Nintendo's bad track record w/ joycons: https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/11/20689252/nintendo-switch-lite-joy-con-analog-sticks

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't really get why any potential buyer would go for the lite unless budget was that much of a concern.

Switch does everything the Lite does and more, and the only real improvement the Lite has is the dpad and like an extra hour and a half of battery?
It's only like an inch smaller isn't it?

Do people hate TVs that much?
Apart from the price difference, why would anyone go for the option with less functionality?
Sturdier (if a Switch falls, while it won't break, there's a reasonable chance that if a joycon was hit it will start wobbling annoyingly forever), no connectivity issues for the controls (which ironically I started getting recently when the joycons are actually connected to my Switch, and no, it never fell), higher DPI, d-pad, better battery.

So if someone does not care about TV play (many don't) or out of the box multiplayer anywhere, then if they don't mind the slightly smaller screen the Lite seems to me to be the better choice.

I don't care about TV play for myself but do need it for playing with my children, and for the same reason I care about out of the box multiplayer anywhere, so for me Lite wouldn't be the better choice if I didn't already have an OG Switch. As things are now, I am considering getting me one in addition to my OG Switch.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I think it's up to what you want, Nintendo is giving you options. the OG switch is for people who want all the features like HD Rumble, detachable controllers, have families, and WILL USE THE TV MODE, 90% of the time. Now for those who don't care for those features and will be using it on handheld then the LITE version is right for them.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I truly think the Lite is a great choice for parents whose kids want a Switch. Mids get the benefit of having a handheld game console, parents get the benefit of that console not taking over the TV.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Lite.

Cheaper, better battery life and smaller which takes lesser space to put my in my bag and I don't give a shit for HD rumble because its overrated. As a person who play Gameboy, PSP and DSL, this doesn't bother me in the slightest that it's a pure handheld...because thats what Nintendo was targeting for.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Probably going with the OG Switch revision by the end of the year, gonna depend on the price though.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting an OG eventually. I wouldn't be caught dead playing video games in public.

beezobeezo

Jul 24, 2018
Oregon
Pro... unless the mod community develops methods for streaming/exporting audio/video with the lite. Even then I'd really rather support high end hardware development. Another Sony handheld would put such a big smile on my face.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
For male hands. Get sick of this "wah my hands are too big" crap on game forums all the time as if men are the only people who play video games.
giphy.gif