• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are you going with?

• Lite

Votes: 191 25.7%
  • OG

Votes: 552 74.3%

• Total voters

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
As someone who was thinking about getting a Switch and now has this new option available, 2 questions:

1. How many games are you really going to miss out on with the Lite vs. the OG Switch?

2. Would the Lite be better for my 7-year old?

Thanks for the input! :)

Vris

Nov 6, 2017
Voted Lite for the design (turquoise!!) and price, but I'd really like to play games like XBC 2, Astral Chain, BotW 2 and Bayo 3 on a big screen and the pro controller.

But who knows? Maybe if they are closer in price during the holiday season I'll go for the upgraded OG instead, newer SKUs do not tend to go on sale in my region.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with the Lite. Outside of Nintendo exclusives, the Switch has no value to me whatsoever as a home console since I already own a PC and a PS4. The exclusives I want to play most (Animal Crossing, Link's Awakening) are best suited to portable play anyway, so I'm not really missing out on anything by opting for the handheld-only model.

Nov 1, 2017
I think if the price difference was more pronounced i could see people going for the cheaper option but if it's just $100 less i wouldn't bother. You lose the entire point of why the Switch was created, not to mention a smaller screen and not being able to play certain games, but hey you do get a d-pad i guess. If you have the kind of disposable income that you can afford a Switch in the first place you could probably get a good deal on the "proper" Switch unit for not much more than the asking price of a Lite if if you keep your eyes peeled for good deals.

For male hands. Get sick of this "wah my hands are too big" crap on game forums all the time as if men are the only people who play video games.

I'm sorry, are you trying to say that only men have big hands? I can tell you I have met many women with bigger hands than me. In any case a console's size could definitely be a consideration for some regardless of their gender identity, playing on a 3DS was often a physically painful experience for me.

Last edited:

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who was thinking about getting a Switch and now has this new option available, 2 questions:

1. How many games are you really going to miss out on with the Lite vs. the OG Switch?

2. Would the Lite be better for my 7-year old?

Thanks for the input! :)
1. Almost nothing. The Labo kits are a no go due to size mismatch. To Play 1-2 switch and Mario Party you would need to buy a pair of joycons. That's it.
2. It's sturdier. On the other hand no out of the box multiplayer anywhere or TV play. Your call.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Got the OG, and I've played most of the time in handheld mode, but if I was in the market, I'd still go for the original system.

Oct 27, 2017
Lite for me;

- much more attractive price point
- purely portable. I have zero interest in playing switch games on my TV.
- dpad.
- don't care about detachable joycons or kick stands or table top gaming
- better battery life

Just got to wait for release now.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Lol nice dismissal of the male normativity and subtle misogyny of gaming spaces but you keep on supporting the status quo.

Shaming people for having big hands is one hell of a take

If you think I'm 'shaming people' for having big hands because I pointed out that games consoles are not designed for male hands, they're designed for all hands then that's on you. Children and women outnumber men, so controller designers are gonna keep making controllers that aren't ridiculously big for them. Soz.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol nice dismissal of the male normativity and subtle misogyny of gaming spaces but you keep on supporting the status quo.

If you think I'm 'shaming people' for having big hands because I pointed out that games consoles are not designed for male hands, they're designed for all hands then that's on you. Children and women outnumber men, so controller designers are gonna keep making controllers that aren't ridiculously big for them. Soz.
Yeah, no, rebuffing someone who's understandably frustrated on their own account because the console is too small for their hands is just being an ass. Acting like that poster was trying to make everything about 'male hands' is just as stupid.

You don't come off as explaining or clarifying anything, you just sound obnoxious and pedantic as hell.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no, rebuffing someone who's understandably frustrated on their own account because the console is too small for their hands is just being an ass. Acting like that poster was trying to make everything about 'male hands' is just as stupid.

You don't come off as explaining or clarifying anything, you just sound obnoxious and pedantic as hell.

Yeah I'd agree if people on gaming forums/youtube etc didn't constantly complain about controllers being too small.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Lite for me. Playing games on TV would be cool but the premium I'd spend on that I could instead spend on games, which sounds more appealing.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Leaning more to OG since I lose functionalities, plus I probably would never take my Switch on the go with me.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Taking away even the option to play on a TV if you might want to do it, restricting the ability to play multiplayer out of the box, and making a screen that can already be too small for some games even smaller, all seems crazy to me. I think it's great that the option is there, especially for children who parents want to have a 3DS replacement for, but if you have the means and resources to choose between the two, the Lite offers literally zero competitive advantages. You're sacrificing so many core features for a temporary jolt of saving $100

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah I'd agree if people on gaming forums/youtube etc didn't constantly complain about controllers being too small.
There is a whole market of grips for the Switch because the Switch is not all that comfortable in portable mode. That's a fact. Are large hands/hand cramps an exclusively male problem? No, and it would be idiotic to suggest anything to the contrary. Take a hike with this gendered crap, you're trying to make this about something that it's not. If the Switch isn't too small for you, great, congrats. But ditch the complex.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
really dunno at this point...i would need to try the swirtch ansd see i would actually use him attached to the tv before deciding.

this being said, 200 dollars are too much foor the cheap version anyway, so i will sttarting considering when it goes down a bit more....or when nintendo releases something i can't help but buying the console for.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably upgrade to the "New" Switch silent revision and homebrew my launch model. But if they release a Lite in SFC colors I don't know if I can resist.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hardly done with the Vita stuff I have (and I'm mostly on PC anyway) so I don't expect it to happen any time soon, but if I was to buy a Switch, it would 100% be the Lite one. I'm still weary of its ergonomics even if size might make it more comfortable, though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to end up with the standard in the house and a Lite or two for me and my son. Excessive, but we really only play Nintendo games these days

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
I have d-padded Joycon for my OG Switch, but due to my smaller hands (iPhone X is really the largest I can easily use) I'm seriously contemplating getting the Lite. The reduced eight is a big thing for me, as I play exclusively in handheld mode.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Lite but I still can't get over the docking loss. Ideally pro or OG revision is announced and I'll go with that.

Either way I'm just waiting for SMTV here so no huge rush.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
The Lite has better controls (actual D-Pad & no desync issues like a regular Switch sometimes has), is smaller & lighter which should make it more comfortable to use portably, and has slightly better battery life. If all you want is a portable system, the Switch Lite is cheaper AND generally the better experience.
The Lite does appear to be a better dedicated handheld system, if only because of these reasons.

As far as stationary gaming goes, I already own a modest setup that lets me push native and higher resolutions as well as framerates up to 144. There's little need to hook up a closed off system in order to deliver a compromised experience, when Nintendo can here offer the best possible handheld experience instead.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Lite is what I've been waiting for. I had no plans to use the Switch docked anyways, PS4 Pro & Xbox One X for the TV. And I only want the Switch so I can play any exclusives so it's avsolutely perfect for me.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I really want the light, but the price isn't good enough to warrant the sale.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I own the OG but I haven't used it docked since I finished SMO.
Based on my current usage, I would probably still go for the OG if I was buying a new one today just because of that extra flexibility. That said, the DPad is a nice upgrade.