• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Get home from work and my brother is saying the PS4 just shut down on him, go to check and it, boots to safe mode with it not finishing the update status and instead asks to insert USB with 7.01 update. I'm about to take the HDD out and see if I can salvage what I can, but I think this may be it. Had the Firecuda for two years.

RIP
4fe1795a98ccc1ca42f7818d5c5f4246.jpg

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I must be the luckiest person alive, because I've never had any drive die on me lol

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my Firecuda for over 3 years now but I do play most of my games on my external hard drive.

OP
OP
Handicapped Duck

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Mine still living hopefully it survives.
Back that up while you can, I was thinking mine could make it until PS5 launch. A fool I was.

Drive is connected to my HDD docking station and not popping up (docking station is in device manager, not the HDD) in my computer. Drive spins than stops, I think that may be it. I have a backup from a year and a half ago, saved should be in the cloud. I gotta get a new drive here.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If this is the 2tb SSHD, then all of them are ticking time bombs, I wouldn't risk it again with my PS4, i lost many saves because of it. I RMA'd mine 3 times, and all 3 times the drive came back DOA, or lasted maybe a week before it died. I finally just gave up on it.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I had an external Seagate HDD fail about a year ago. Not bad considering it must have been at least 10 years old and had seen some heavy use. I've got a couple of other Seagate internal SSHDs six and seven years old respectively that still work fine (probably jinxed it now though!)

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've been using Seagate drives since the late 90's and I've never had one die on me. Across 6-7 PC builds, multiple consoles and never a drama. I am using a 2TB Firecuda in my PS4 Pro but it's not quite 12 months old yet so hopefully it lasts until the PS5.

*touches wood*

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm not touching anything Seagate. People warned me yet I went with one once and out of my 5 drives going for 6 years this one died the promised death after 2 years. Never again

OP
OP
Handicapped Duck

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Okay I have three different HDDs hooked up to my computer and none of them are showing up; the Firecuda, OG PS4 HDD, and some 1TB drive I have. It would be a heck of a coincidence if all three are dead. Anyone have any guesses?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal, but I've never lost a WD. I always avoid Seagate, it might be a coincidence but it feels like you only see RIP threads about Seagate lol

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I'm a lucky ass motherfucker.
Have 4 tb or higher HDDs for my PC some old as 4 years and no dead ones.
Also a 2tb Seagate on my ps4 that's 3 years old.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I replaced the firecuda storing my PS4 saves with a WD passport as soon as I started hearing about the failure rates.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
WD Black is the official storage sponsor of the game awards

For real though I've never had better luck with one drive over another, I think they're basically the same these days for general usage like this

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back that up while you can, I was thinking mine could make it until PS5 launch. A fool I was.

Drive is connected to my HDD docking station and not popping up (docking station is in device manager, not the HDD) in my computer. Drive spins than stops, I think that may be it. I have a backup from a year and a half ago, saved should be in the cloud. I gotta get a new drive here.
The drive is not supposed to show in My Computer. It should show in disk management.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must be the luckiest person alive, because I've never had any drive die on me lol

same. I've been running a 7200rpm drive that dates back to the og ps3 i upgraded that's now in my PS4 pro.

I have 2 Kingston 240gb ssds in my rig that are like 8 years old lol and 2 1tb 7200 toshibas that are also 8 years old. No problems.

Dec 25, 2018
WD has never ever given me problems, they're the only drives I buy. I know people say seagate is the best but the functionality of WD for me has always been outstanding.

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly been the first thing I got at the tine I bought a PS4 Pro a month after it launched and, up until two months ago, it's been extremely reliable.

I lost all of my capture gallery stuff but, luckily, my saves are in the Cloud.

I'll try to get a new one later, but I want to try to salvage my gallery stuff.

Legend J 858

Oct 25, 2018
I've had my Firecuda SSHD in my PS4 Pro for 2 years now. No problem but I hope it lasts me up until the PS5 launches.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Seagate, more like PeeGate. Stick with WD , HGST, or Toshiba, and you'll be fine.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I will never use Seagate again. The one I had in my PS4 Pro failed when I was playing ESO, and it was the only Seagate I ever used on consoles or pc. WD all the way. I've some WDs that are over 15 years old that still work to this day.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've been reading Seagate horror stories since forever. Back when I used to build PCs for a living I would always choose WD... Never had issues aside from 2 or 3 DOA units over the course of many, many years. I should know, since I was also the tech support guy for those machines. I even have a 1TB WD Black from 2010 still doing great as secondary drive in my home PC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I let my Plus sub lapse last month because I wasn't interested in the games but I just remembered that Cloud Saves are tied to it. Now I have to resub...

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not touching anything Seagate. People warned me yet I went with one once and out of my 5 drives going for 6 years this one died the promised death after 2 years. Never again

Used to swear by seagate back in the day

Got 4 barracuda NAS drives... all died in 1 year

Replaced them all with WD Red, have never had to replace a drive since

That was about 8 years ago now

Oct 25, 2017
I've always bought Western hard drives because people on forums 15 years ago were ranting all the time about how unreliable Seagates are.
Some things never change apparently.
Is there any data on failure rates of consumer drives?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Feel like I'm counting the days until my Firecuda dies on me. No weird quirks or signs of impending failure, but I guess no one really gets those -- I've had it for nearly 3 years, and it's gone from a Destiny Glacier White OG PS4 to my launch PS4 Pro to my late 2018 model PS4 Pro (because I couldn't stand the fan noise on the launch model anymore), and every reformat in between.

The internet makes me feel like its eventual failure is inevitable.

OP
OP
Handicapped Duck

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I put the stupid HDD in backwards so I have to unscrew it again and now the final bolt won't come out. Nearly stripped the screw trying to get it loose, story of my life right now.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
and why did Sony/Microsoft allow their name to be on these external devices?!

the Microsoft game drive by seagate is actually a Samsung drive...... which is actually a seagate

people mentioning Samsung is pretty funny. Seagate makes every HDD for Samsung. Seagate acquired Samsung's hdd business back in 2015 or so

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people still buying Seagate drives in this day and age?

They're the manufacturer with the highest fail rate.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Too bad Hitachi (Later became HGST, now also defunct) don't make drives anymore. My 12 year old 1TB Deskstar 7K1000 is still truckin'!

*Not gonna lie, I felt like a badass at LAN parties having the world's first terabyte HDD back then.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Had 3 Western Digital Reds die on me, never ever had a seagate die on me.
Still have an external from 7 years ago still ploughing along like a champ!