• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
They absolutely made the right choice with Joker considering the timing. There's no disrespect towards #FE at all. If they want to move DLC it really would make no sense to put a #FE character over any of the last three Persona protagonists. :/ Even Ken & Koromaru would be a more interesting choice than anything from TMS anyways...

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I too am upset an Atlus RPG character was snubbed in favor of an Atlus RPG character

why did Nintendo do this
Yeah, it's exactly the same teams making these games. Right.

I even said in my post: Smash is not representing the content I buy Nintendo platforms for. Just that. Be happy if you liked this, but feels like the game is losing the aspect that made me like it in the first place.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly do not understand the love for TMS. It was an okay game on a bad console. The battle system is the only thing truly enjoyable about it. Every character is bland and awful.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
How is it disrespect? It was a neat little spinoff. Persona 5 is just a huge game that'll draw in outside fans.

Will it though? Persona 5 sold well, but not as well as Smash does, and it seems like "Loves Persona 5, indifferent to Smash Bros, but will buy it solely for this DLC character" isn't a huge demographic.

As a mechanism for making money through DLC, then, like, yeah, Joker makes a lot more sense, because "Liked Persona 5, liked Smash Bros" is a much larger demographic.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's exactly the same teams making these games. Right.

I even said in my post: Smash is not representing the content I buy Nintendo platforms for. Just that. Be happy if you liked this, but feels like the game is losing the aspect that made me like it in the first place.
I feel for you, Heartskips. As much as it's crazy that we're getting a Persona character of any stripe in Smash, it does blow that we're not getting a character from the most prominent, direct Nintendo/Atlus collaboration. I hope that at least one of the DLC we get is someone you can appreciate.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel for you, Heartskips. As much as it's crazy that we're getting a Persona character of any stripe in Smash, it does blow that we're not getting a character from the most prominent, direct Nintendo/Atlus collaboration. I hope that at least one of the DLC we get is someone you can appreciate.
At this point I'll just not expect anything and be glad if I get something, haha. Nothing announced today interested me a bit. D:

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Totally agree. Pure disrespect. SMT have stayed with Nintendo since ages ago and this is the treatment they get. Pure shit.

Even TMS in would be numerous time better than some PS game character into Smash.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lol. I would be laughing even harder next year when P5 Crimson is announced and it is not on Switch. Nintendo will essentially help promote other game on other platform lol. Just like recent Castlevania.

Oct 27, 2017
Shoulda been Jack Frost
yzke2q970s401.jpg

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What? K thought this was like, literally not a fanboy thing it makes perfect sense to pick joker over Marth, even if i liked the game more than Persona 5

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. I would be laughing even harder next year when P5 Crimson is announced and it is not on Switch. Nintendo will essentially help promote other game on other platform lol. Just like recent Castlevania.
They put Snake in Brawl despite there not being any impending Metal Gear titles for the Wii or DS. The most that came about was years later with the Snake Eater port on 3DS.

Assuming a Crimson edition does happen, it could happen on Switch. Nintendo and Atlus are close enough that it's a possibility. And if Nintendo were the ones that came to Sakurai with a list of character options, it's not inconceivable that Joker was on Nintendo's list because a Switch version of Persona 5 is actually in development.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo selling out and disrespecting its own characters to honor the worst Atlus dev. Bleh.

It sucks to be their fan sometimes and Smash is increasingly becoming a thing that doesn't represent the experiences I have with their systems (I love TMS and couldn't care less about Hashinosona 5). I wonder if at some point I will just stop caring about them. :(

So disappointing.
Totally agree. Pure disrespect. SMT have stayed with Nintendo since ages ago and this is the treatment they get. Pure shit.

Even TMS in would be numerous time better than some PS game character into Smash.

You all are making it really hard to appreciate being both a fan of TMS and a fan of Nintendo. Like, really? really? This "betrayed your trust"? Like, it's a character and a popular choice that others wanted. I do not understand this attitude when this game already has like 3 characters more suited to Sony than Nintendo. And don't bring that "Oh he was in a small side game so they don't count", the characters are famous for their game on another system.

These games always have had a weird choice that doesn't fit Nintendo perfectly since Brawl's Snake. Why is Joker any different? Hell, it should be hillarious because Smash now is a better roster than PSASBR did for their own game. Cloud, Snake, Richter Belmont, and now Joker are all options Sony wished they made.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They put Snake in Brawl despite there not being any impending Metal Gear titles for the Wii or DS. The most that came about was years later with the Snake Eater port on 3DS.

Assuming a Crimson edition does happen, it could happen on Switch. Nintendo and Atlus are close enough that it's a possibility. And if Nintendo were the ones that came to Sakurai with a list of character options, it's not inconceivable that Joker was on Nintendo's list because a Switch version of Persona 5 is actually in development.

It wont. I dont believe that Persona will ever come to Nintendo platform especially mainline title.

And nintendo will help Atlus a lot by marketing a game released on its competitor platform.

You all are making it really hard to appreciate being both a fan of TMS and a fan of Nintendo. Like, really? really? This "betrayed your trust"? Like, it's a character and a popular choice that others wanted. I do not understand this attitude when this game already has like 3 characters more suited to Sony than Nintendo. And don't bring that "Oh he was in a small side game so they don't count", the characters are famous for their game on another system.

These games always have had a weird choice that doesn't fit Nintendo perfectly since Brawl's Snake. Why is Joker any different? Hell, it should be hillarious because Smash now is a better roster than PSASBR did for their own game. Cloud, Snake, Richter Belmont, and now Joker are all options Sony wished they made.

Because there is Fing big IP that Nintendo fans should relate more too.

There is SMT. Which is literally the mirror title of Persona on each platform. To give the spot for the other IP character when they can actually push SMT character is baffling and feel lame. As it shows the priority on making more money first rather than celebrating IP that relate to nintendo fans.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Look, there are multiple reasons that people can be legitimately put down by this. There's the fact that Persona 5 usurped what could have been a spot for Nintendo/Atlus Tokyo Mirage Sessions representation. There's the issue with the Persona series director Hashino repeatedly depicting some awkward at best and overtly homophobic/transphobic content at worst in his games. Not everyone is going to be happy with this. I'm personally no too put off by it. I think Joker's addition is a fun surprise. But I'd have much, much preferred another Atlus rep.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wont. I dont believe that Persona will ever come to Nintendo platform especially mainline title.

And nintendo will help Atlus a lot by marketing a game released on its competitor platform.

Because there is Fing big IP that Nintendo fans should relate more too.

There is SMT. Which is literally the mirror title of Persona on each platform. To give the spot for the other IP character when they can actually push SMT character is baffling and feel lame. As it shows the priority on making more money first rather than celebrating IP that relate to nintendo fans.

Yeah? And as one of SMT's biggest fanboys, SMT is a minor niche title that, outside of one game that sold on a PS2, was never popular in the west. It sucks that SMT doesn't have worldwide appeal to the extent Persona does, but I'm not going to ignore reality and pretend Nintendo hates me as a fan of the games. I'm also not going to pretend that this choice is just as much for the fans of video games as a whole as it is for a marketing technique. Don't lump me and other "hardcore" nintendo fans with you because you take everything this company does as an insult.

And about Nintendo helping Atlus sell a PS4 game, so? Snake sold people on MGS4, Ryu sold people on SFV, Cloud sold people on FVIIR, Richter is selling people on Castlevania Requim. Nintendo doesn't care if it's advertising other people's games if you are also buying theirs.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, there are multiple reasons that people can be legitimately put down by this. There's the fact that Persona 5 usurped what could have been a spot for Nintendo/Atlus Tokyo Mirage Sessions representation. There's the issue with the Persona series director Hashino repeatedly depicting some awkward at best and overtly homophobic/transphobic content at worst in his games. Not everyone is going to be happy with this. I'm personally no too put off by it. I think Joker's addition is a fun surprise. But I'd have much, much preferred another Atlus rep.

The only legitamate reason I see is the horrible remarks made by Hashino. But this is not that thread. This thread is all about how Nintendo "betrayed" Nintendo fans everywhere by...announcing a popular character for their giant crossover game.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
To be fair, Joker will sell far better than anything from TMS. You know how third-party characters work in Smash: only the most popular ones.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah? And as one of SMT's biggest fanboys, SMT is a minor niche title that, outside of one game that sold on a PS2, was never popular in the west. It sucks that SMT doesn't have worldwide appeal to the extent Persona does, but I'm not going to ignore reality and pretend Nintendo hates me as a fan of the games. I'm also not going to pretend that this choice is just as much for the fans of video games as a whole as it is for a marketing technique. Don't lump me and other "hardcore" nintendo fans with you because you take everything this company does as an insult.

And about Nintendo helping Atlus sell a PS4 game, so? Snake sold people on MGS4, Ryu sold people on SFV, Cloud sold people on FVIIR, Richter is selling people on Castlevania Requim. Nintendo doesn't care if it's advertising other people's games if you are also buying theirs.

And castlevania is deader than SMT and yet it still got a big Rep. This Persona add on is pure cynical move to get more DLC money.

To be fair, Joker will sell far better than anything from TMS. You know how third-party characters work in Smash: only the most popular ones.

This is the easiest answer. Money. Goodbye old characters which wont make money. Just give all those popular character. Where is Geralt, GTA guy, Noctis to complete the experience lol.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Why the dramatics, though?
Because Nintendo put 70+ fighters in their game and the one they want didn't get in. The inclusion of just 1 character that doesn't meet their personal strict qualifications means everything that Nintendo has ever done is now null and void.

And castlevania is deader than SMT and yet it still got a big Rep. This Persona add on is pure cynical move to get more DLC money.

This is the easiest answer. Money. Goodbye old characters which wont make money. Just give all those popular character. Where is Geralt, GTA guy, Noctis to complete the experience lol.

You're close... SOOOOOO close to actually understanding what's happening here. I'll give you a hint... Why would Joker get more money than the older characters?

(edit) For further clarification, I agree he will bring in more money... but correlation isn't causation.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I agree, but think about how much effort means negotiating a 3rd party character. The only one is not of "legendary" status is Bayonetta, but because the 2nd and 3rd game are Nintendo exclusives so it makes sense. They want to bring the most popular characters, because it will generate far more hype and sales.

The game has lots of obscure Nintendo characters already.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh my god, I cannot believe you people are this fucking cynical. They choose the most famous reps for all their third parties. Weird choices are reserved for first party titles. Again, you make me ashamed to be a fan of SMT. And you want to accuse Nintendo of being the cynical one? Look in a fucking mirror, take a deep breath, and stop extrapolating the next 50 years from this damn announcement.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Nintendo put 70+ fighters in their game and the one they want didn't get in. The inclusion of just 1 character that doesn't meet their personal strict qualifications means everything that Nintendo has ever done is now null and void.

You're close... SOOOOOO close to actually understanding what's happening here. I'll give you a hint... Why would Joker get more money than the older characters?

(edit) For further clarification, I agree he will bring in more money... but correlation isn't causation.

Like seriously, even if you wanted SMT representation, they would go with the more world famous incarnation of the SMT protagonists...which is the Demi-Fiend from SMT3: Nocturne...a character from the PS2.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For reference, I never liked any third party character, but at least they are gaming legends (besides Bayo that is a ballot pick). Joker isn't.

This is my personal opinion, but I play Smash for the Nintendo characters and franchises. I buy Nintendo systems because it's where I get these and some different games from the AAA mess I run from in other platforms. I didn't buy Persona 5 for 3DS or Wii U, I bought and played SMT, Devil Survivor, Etrian Odyssey, Tokyo Mirage Sessions. These are the games I associate with Nintendo platforms and would be nice to see these devs rewarded for these games. Instead they're honoring a guy who couldn't care less about Nintendo consumers like Hashino -- and I'm not even getting into how his games are dumbed down gameplay-wise and have offensive stereotypes and shallow power fantasy stories.

If Smash only added flavor of the month third parties from the start, it would just be another PSABR. A game no one cares about the roster because it has no bar set for entrance.

I'm not obligating you to agree with me, but can't I be disappointed that even Smash, one of the only games to acknowledge smaller franchises that need more love is caving in to the boring AAA market and caring more about marketing "hype" than picks that make more sense?

This game doesn't even have a freaking Rhythm Heaven playable character yet! A multimillion long running franchise by Nintendo, but now we have... Joker from Persona 5. This really disappoints me. I don't feel like Nintendo cares about fans like me anymore while caring too much in looking good to people who don't even care about them or that only buy Mario/Zelda/Smash, and market-wise this may be the right decision (even though I disagree, boost to sales to small franchises > selling a character once), but I think I'm in my right to at leat voice how disappointed I am.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No problem i understand the reasoning just like i understand why lootbox and gacha is popular as it bring loads of money.

I just have zero hope on the rest 4 spot there no problem.

I agree, but think about how much effort means negotiating a 3rd party character. The only one is not of "legendary" status is Bayonetta, but because the 2nd and 3rd game are Nintendo exclusives so it makes sense. They want to bring the most popular characters, because it will generate far more hype and sales.

The game has lots of obscure Nintendo characters already.

Asking for smaller Ip character is much more easier over bigger Ip. It should cost that expensive too. I am just hugely disappointed over this choice.

Oh my god, I cannot believe you people are this fucking cynical. They choose the most famous reps for all their third parties. Weird choices are reserved for first party titles. Again, you make me ashamed to be a fan of SMT. And you want to accuse Nintendo of being the cynical one? Look in a fucking mirror, take a deep breath, and stop extrapolating the next 50 years from this damn announcement.

And i dont want Smash to simply be a fighting game for popularity contest character. I want more characters from smaller franchise.

Just like how Smash put Fire Emblem on spotlight before, SMT can be the same. But nope. They need to put even more spotlight on Persona 5 which is already damn popular.

Stop acting so high and F mighty like you are the only SMT fans. People can be dissapointed and i feel that with this choice over SMT character. And stop prepping Demifiend when its title sold even lesser than SMT4.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Asking for smaller Ip character is much more easier over bigger Ip. It should cost that expensive too. I am just hugely disappointed over this choice.
I don't know, I think any company (except SE) knows that Smash is free advertisement, if Persona 5 will have a Switch port (it's probable), it makes sense for Atlus to promote the character over some SMT/TMS character that won't generate more revenue for the company the same way Joker will. Same for Smash.

One thing is classic series like Castlevania that don't have any really popular new game, but Persona/SMT older games are not close to P5 in popularity.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such disrespect for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

Almost as much as Activision has been disrespecting Raven Software for the last decade by making them codemonkeys for Call of Duty since their last original IP bombed.
Couldn't care less about that game or Mortal Kombat or boring guy from Persona. If they don't announce some interesting stuff soon, next year I'm starting to concern troll with "my switch is gathering dust" posts (even if I play it). :(

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No problem i understand the reasoning just like i understand why lootbox and gacha is popular as it bring loads of money.

I just have zero hope on the rest 4 spot there no problem.

And i dont want Smash to simply be a fighting game for popularity contest character. I want more characters from smaller franchise.

Just like how Smash put Fire Emblem on spotlight before, SMT can be the same. But nope. They need to put even more spotlight on Persona 5 which is already damn popular.

Stop acting so high and F mighty like you are the only SMT fans. People can be dissapointed and i feel that with this choice over SMT character. And stop prepping Demifiend when its title sold even lesser than SMT4.

I'll stop batting for a lesser known character when you do the same. Because by your own logic, Demi-fiend is now an even better choice because it's Nintendo's job to prop up lesser known characters.

And I'm acting high and mighty? You're the one who's trying to imply this was the bad decision because Persona is too popular.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't care less about that game or Mortal Kombat or boring guy from Persona. If they don't announce some interesting stuff soon, next year I'm starting to concern troll with "my switch is gathering dust" posts (even if I play it). :(
Oh joy, you are sure making it fun to be a Nintendo fan on this site. "I don't get what I want? I'll make sure no one is happy until I am happy."

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh joy, you are sure making it fun to be a Nintendo fan on this site. "I don't get what I want? I'll make sure no one is happy until I am happy."
... It's a joke. I think pretty much saying "concern troll" and the :( would give it away.

The only other thing I did in this thread was voice my opinion, I didn't tell anyone they can't enjoy that character, but you keep telling me I can't be disappointed with it even though I explained why personally I've been feeling shafted.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
... It's a joke. I think pretty much saying "concern troll" and the :( would give it away.

The only other thing I did in this thread was voice my opinion, I didn't tell anyone they can't enjoy that character, but you keep telling me I can't be disappointed with it even though I explained why personally I've been feeling shafted.

Criticism is not allowed comrade.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the outrage. Smash has clearly transitioned into being about the most popular character regardless of their relation or lack thereof to Nintendo systems. Otherwise what the fuck is Cloud doing in there? The idea they'd put a TMS character in over the main character from their most recent Persona that sold over 2 million copies is laughable.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll stop batting for a lesser known character when you do the same. Because by your own logic, Demi-fiend is now an even better choice because it's Nintendo's job to prop up lesser known characters.

And I'm acting high and mighty? You're the one who's trying to imply this was the bad decision because Persona is too popular.

I am saying that I feel this bad decision for ME as i feel SMT is much better IP to be chosen.

And then u come and act like you are the only SMT fans and we must accept and be happy about this inclusion even if wr are not.

Sorry but i dont degrade myself to be fakely happy about things i dont like. I will criticize Nintendo move here as i feel there is much better character to be included over Persona V. And if u cant accept my opinion u can just ignore me.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I was disappointed they went for Joker instead of an SMT character. It would have been a better way to promote SMT V (a series that frankly needs this more than Persona right now)