• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
TMS was wierd but I loved it. A smash rep wouldn't be a good choice though imo. Joker makes way more sense if you want a SMT character.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this game, which reminds me I need to go back and finish it.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't killed by its console. it was killed because people actually wanted a FE x SMT crossover, not anime waifu idol garbage

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that TMS was a game no one asked for (especially in the context of a SMT and Fire Emblem crossover), and potentially only greenlit through massive misleading of Nintendo, I'm not surprised that Nintendo sandbags it in Smash. Honestly, the bigger surprise is that they even acknowledged its existence.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
OP, the point of Joker is the third party crossover. This has no relevance on opinion Ninty holds of #FE.

Right now, you're like the patron of a burger joint that has some non-burger dishes for people who are not into burgers but came along with friends and want to have a good time, angry they put a Caesar salad into the menu instead of chicken burger with Caesar dressing.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
If Nintendo wanted an Atlus rep, Joker makes the most sense taking recency and sales into consideration. Hopefully this means there's a P5 port coming as well though I guessss you could argue that SMT mainline games have been on Nintendo systems thus it's not some completely out of left field pick like Master Chief or something.

Though now I just want a Dynasty Warriors rep because it would be absolutely hilarious (and kind of blasphemous) to have Guan Yu fight say... Sonic.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
1467650228460.jpg
LOL Savage.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For reference, I never liked any third party character, but at least they are gaming legends (besides Bayo that is a ballot pick). Joker isn't.

This is my personal opinion, but I play Smash for the Nintendo characters and franchises. I buy Nintendo systems because it's where I get these and some different games from the AAA mess I run from in other platforms. I didn't buy Persona 5 for 3DS or Wii U, I bought and played SMT, Devil Survivor, Etrian Odyssey, Tokyo Mirage Sessions. These are the games I associate with Nintendo platforms and would be nice to see these devs rewarded for these games. Instead they're honoring a guy who couldn't care less about Nintendo consumers like Hashino -- and I'm not even getting into how his games are dumbed down gameplay-wise and have offensive stereotypes and shallow power fantasy stories.

If Smash only added flavor of the month third parties from the start, it would just be another PSABR. A game no one cares about the roster because it has no bar set for entrance.

I'm not obligating you to agree with me, but can't I be disappointed that even Smash, one of the only games to acknowledge smaller franchises that need more love is caving in to the boring AAA market and caring more about marketing "hype" than picks that make more sense?

This game doesn't even have a freaking Rhythm Heaven playable character yet! A multimillion long running franchise by Nintendo, but now we have... Joker from Persona 5. This really disappoints me. I don't feel like Nintendo cares about fans like me anymore while caring too much in looking good to people who don't even care about them or that only buy Mario/Zelda/Smash, and market-wise this may be the right decision (even though I disagree, boost to sales to small franchises > selling a character once), but I think I'm in my right to at leat voice how disappointed I am.
Uh...Persona 5, first off, is most definitely not a AAA franchise. Why would Hoshino need to cater to Nintendo fans when Nintendo has historically gotten way more SMT games than Sony EVER had? The fact that a handful of 3rd party characters outside of a 70+ roster is the line you draw in the sand where Nintendo apparently no longer cares about you is some of the most dramatic shit I've seen on this forum.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh...Persona 5, first off, is most definitely not a AAA franchise. Why would Hoshino need to cater to Nintendo fans when Nintendo has historically gotten way more SMT games than Sony EVER had? The fact that a handful of 3rd party characters outside of a 70+ roster is the line you draw in the sand where Nintendo apparently no longer cares about you is some of the most dramatic shit I've seen on this forum.
? I didn't say anything about he needing to cater to Nintendo fans. But it's a fact that the SMT teams are the ones doing stuff with Nintendo and it feels weird to see them getting shafted like this.

And nah, this isn't the only thing. Nintendo is killing off most of their smaller franchises and pandering more and more to only the hardcore home console crowd. Picking a Persona character over their own popular characters/IPs just because they're not AAA mainstream (their Style Savvy franchise has a game that sold more than P5, for example) or not picking a SMT character kinda says everything.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
TMS had some good combat system, but the plot and soundtrack were lame as hell. That game had all the worst of Persona.

Meanwhile Persona 5 was awesome. Glad the Joker is coming to the Switch.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of FE's and SMT's next big breakout crossover franchise was killed by it's console, and now Nintendo has disrespected it by picking a game character from a game to not grace it's console over their own branded first party characters.

Pour one out guys.

If you listen closely, you can still hear the song.

Joker is in a 3DS game so whatever.

TMS flopped and that was the end of it's chapter. It's never gonna get a sequel or a port and we all know it. Doesn't make it a bad game. I really enjoyed it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know that Marth, Lucina, and Tiki are already in the game, right?

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
One of FE's and SMT's next big breakout crossover franchise was killed by it's console, and now Nintendo has disrespected it by picking a game character from a game to not grace it's console over their own branded first party characters.

And Cloud Strife was picked over Crystal Chronicles representation in the Wii U iteration. They want to sell DLC so they're going to pick recognizable characters over the bench warmers.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Jan 2, 2018

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Ive always wanted to play this game so hopefully Nintendo do a port for it. It has always looked interesting.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Huh.
CoolestSpot , not only do you appear to have vaguely tolerable tastes in comics, now I learn that you are a TMS fan?
What's next, you're a Legend of Mana defender or something?
If so... Welcome.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I already bought smash. If I wasn't I'm definitely am now.

Wasn't planning on getting DLC. Now I'm definitely grtting the season pass.

Great move by nintendo.

Now I wanna see a xbox or playstation first party character.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So excited and happy that Joker is in; the Persona games are some of my favorite games of all time.

I sympathize a little though; not sure why he's in Smash but it better mean that Persona 5 Crimson is coming to Switch in the future. Atlus I'll wait forever for you.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Well this thread turned out badly.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is great for what it was, it clearly didn't get the budget of Persona and the Wii U didn't inspire confidence to spend more developing it.
TMS has a great battle system that deserves another chance, either through a sequel or a more expanded port.
Persona 5 was a massive hit and Joker clearly fits into the Smash universe.

I wouldn't be surprised if Persona 5 eventually came to Switch either.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting to see so much hate for this game as I thought it was pretty well liked by the people who played it. My impression of it from the very little I played was pretty positive. I always meant to go back to it as I fell off of it because I was at a point where I just really didn't want to play games on WiiU (so I probably should not have bought it to begin with).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You'll eat your words when Wonder Red gets in.

There's no way nintendo handpicked the characters to be DLC and had someone from Wonderful101 anywhere near the top 5 on the list of choices.

TMS has a great battle system that deserves another chance, either through a sequel or a more expanded port.
Persona 5 was a massive hit and Joker clearly fits into the Smash universe.

If the series ends with the wii u game, that'd be a shame. It deserves at least one sequel on something that isn't a wii u.