• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Launch Ranger who's not Tommy

• MMPR Red

Votes: 131 33.4%
  • Megaforce Yellow

Votes: 24 6.1%
  • Magna Defender

Votes: 61 15.6%
  • Kat Ranger

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • Ranger Slayer

Votes: 97 24.7%
  • Goldar

Votes: 31 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
ZZ1evSA.png

General Details:

Official Site: https://battleforthegrid.com/
Platforms/Release Dates:
Nintendo Switch/Xbox One: 3/26/19; PS4(EU): 3/28/19; PS4(NA): April 4
PC: TBA(Summer)
Publisher: Nway
Pricing(Same for all platforms):
Standard Edition: $20
Digital Collectors Edition: $40, includes the Season one Pass(3 Characters, and a New Character Skin), classic Pink Ranger Skin for Ranger Slayer and a Lord Drakkon Evo 2 skin.
Pre-orders included a Green Ranger Evo 2 skin, however they have closed for both Xbox One and Switch, and were only available through the official sit. PS4 and PC preorders will be there too when they open.
Xbox One, Switch and PC have Cross Play, and Cross Progression for costumes and characters
Gameplay:
Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid is a Marvel Vs Capcom 2/3 style fighting game with easy to learn hard to master frantic 3 Versus 3 gameplay.
Game Modes: More to come in later updates
  1. Ranked
    1. Online fighting with seasons and qualifying matches
  2. Casual
    1. Online play without league points
  3. Arcade
    1. Set of Seven matches and a final boss, lineup varies between characters and there may be a reward for clearing multiple(?). Also certain battles have arcade style caption statements between characters.
  4. Versus
    1. Battle your friends or the computer
  5. Training
  6. Tutorial
Buttons are also fully customizable.
Characters: (Full Bios on official site, basic archetypes will be listed here though. I am not a fighting game player, so if you guys don't mind lending me a hand on the blanks)
  1. Red Ranger(MMPR, Jason)
    1. ?
  2. Green Ranger(MMPR, Tommy)
    1. ?
  3. Yellow Ranger(Megaforce, Gia)
    1. Keep away hybrid
  4. Lord Drakkon(MMPR/Boom comics, Tommy/Evil)
    1. ?
  5. Goldar
    1. Big Bodied Grappler with ranged tools
  6. Ranger Slayer(MMPR Pink/Boom comics, Kimberly)
    1. Technical Ranged Bow and arrow character
  7. Magna Defender(Lost Galaxy, Mike)
    1. ?
  8. Kat Ranger(SPD Kat)
    1. Rushdown with cross ups, beginner friendly
  9. Mastadon Sentry(MMPR Black, Evil Generic)
    1. Zoner
  10. Cenozoic Blue Ranger(MMPR Reboot 2017, ancient alien ranger)
  11. Udonna(Mystic force white/mentor)
  12. Dragon Armor Trini(Boom alternate mmpr): Grappler
DLC Characters:
Season Pass 1($15)
  1. Zeo Gold(Trey of Triforia)
  2. Time Force Pink
  3. Lord Zedd
Season 2
  1. Shadow Ranger(Doggy Kruger, SPD, plays like Vergil)
  2. Quantum Ranger(Time Force, voiced by Vergil)
  3. Dai Shi(Jungle Fury)
Ultra assists(activate when you lose a team mate, have 3 different moves)
  • Dino Megazord
  • Dragonzord
  • Mega Goldar
  • Delta Zord(spd)
There are also 5 Arenas, and 120 collectible Banners
Post Launch Support:
TBA
FAQ(will be expanded over time)
Q:Are there Lobbies?
A:Not at launch
Q: Where is Story Mode?
A: Also didn't make launch, will be coming in the near future
Q: why is the season pass cheaper than the deluxe version?
A: The deluxe version includes 2 exclusive skins, Drakkon evo.2 and Pink Ranger Slayer, whether or not that's worth 5 bucks is up to you
ScreenShots
31219_main2.jpg
31219_main1_9599644c-fb6e-4d75-a91c-f0a4b6f49ac3.jpg

Launch Character overview video:

I'll keep this up to date best I can, sorry it's not too flashy. I'm not too in deep on fighting games, so if anyone wants to help me update the info fighting game wise I'm open to it, thanks.

Important update: Green Ranger mk 2 is now a bonus to any purchase made prior to April 3 on the respective online store

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
the Season Pass includes story modes for all added characters. Also, could you try at least including some images, like a basic banner? Some screenshots? links to video?

Night Terror

Feb 1, 2018
Gimme OG White Range skin for Green please? That is all e.e

Really though gameplay looks sweet. If it releases on Steam on summer + at that price I'll surely be able to grab it :D

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
the Season Pass includes story modes for all added characters. Also, could you try at least including some images, like a basic banner? Some screenshots? links to video?
making the cover image now, needed the size which isn't included in the basic thread builder. forgot the screen shots and the character vid which I'll add real quick. I made the OT because no one else volunteered and I figured I'd help.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little disappointed the pre-orders for Switch ended early. I was waiting until midnight on the 26th, Australian time, to see if the Deluxe Edition was going to be available locally. The codes from the offical web store are for the U.S. eShop and I didn't want this tied to a secondary account. However, I intended to pre-order the Deluxe Edition if it hadn't shown up by morning. It's just a skin, so it's not a big deal, but hopefully it's available to purchase in the near future.

Do we know when it's going live?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm a little disappointed the pre-orders for Switch ended early. I was waiting until midnight on the 26th, Australian time, to see if the Deluxe Edition was going to be available locally. The codes from the offical web store are for the U.S. eShop and I didn't want this tied to a secondary account. However, I intended to pre-order the Deluxe Edition if it hadn't shown up by morning. It's just a skin, so it's not a big deal, but hopefully it's available to purchase in the near future.

Wanted to do the same. But the preorders for Switch were global, that's why there was no regional distinction. Global SKU = no need for separate keys.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to do the same. But the preorders for Switch were global, that's why there was no regional distinction. Global SKU = no need for separate keys.
I had no idea. :( It wasn't clear from their website as the other versions listed regions, so I assumed it was for the U.S. eShop.

TheJerkster

Feb 12, 2019
Preordered on a whim because I watched Max react on his channel, and the OG show was my shit in 5th grade. Really stoked to see how it turns out. Does anyone know how many buttons are in use? 4 or 6?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The same. I held off (my own fault), and I'm a big fan of the Green Ranger v2 version they've introduced lately.
tenor.gif

I imagine it'll be DLC at some point along with plenty of other variations. Would be shocked not to see a Dragon Shield Red Ranger at some point.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The same. I held off (my own fault), and I'm a big fan of the Green Ranger v2 version they've introduced lately.
tenor.gif

I imagine it'll be DLC at some point along with plenty of other variations. Would be shocked not to see a Dragon Shield Red Ranger at some point.
It's already got a dlc listing on the eshop

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw some footage of this today, never had any interest in Power Rangers whatsoever but it looks like a solid fighting game so I'm in. The simplified controls sound great for me. Would have pre-ordered but I guess I'll have to wait for it to show up on the eShop.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Thanks for making the OT it looks nice.

I am wondering if this title is up for preorder yet on Nintendo Switch. Although I might wait on impressions Idk

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
tenor.gif

What's that clip from?

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

If you type in power rangers on the eshop you see some of the dlc (dragon shield red ranger included).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly concerned that there doesn't seem to be any Switch footage. I've only seen PC and Xbox

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Ivan ooze! Ivan ooze! Ivan ooze! DO IT! It's a power rangers game, you have to do it.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed I still had the Switch version preorder in my cart on the site. It still let me order despite preorders being closed, I hope it goes through lol. Got it for $15 thanks to a Paypal discount.

Wish we had more characters, but oh well. Going to focus Magna and Kat probably, but depends on how the characters feel of course.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no I'm not paying $20 for 9 fighters when the game barely has any content. I guarantee the arcade mode is probably a joke too.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I noticed I still had the Switch version preorder in my cart on the site. It still let me order despite preorders being closed, I hope it goes through lol. Got it for $15 thanks to a Paypal discount.

Wish we had more characters, but oh well. Going to focus Magna and Kat probably, but depends on how the characters feel of course.
weird, I just tried the same since I had put it in the cart as well and it told me it was "SOLD OUT" during the final checkout step.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be neat if one of the DLC characters was the Ryu Ranger with street fighter inspired playstyle.
I always think guest characters are such a fun idea in fighting games.

yH3HFexm.jpg

It would be nice if the Green v2 had the sword of darkness instead of the dragon dagger EDIT: It was pointed out to me that the promo art shows that this is likely the case.

tumblr_nr6xw2ReOU1s2zwu1o8_500.gif

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
It would be neat if one of the DLC characters was the Ryu Ranger with street fighter inspired playstyle.
I always think guest characters are such a fun idea in fighting games.

yH3HFexm.jpg

It would be nice if the Green v2 had the sword of darkness instead of the dragon dagger since as far as I know there is not currently a Tommy that has it even though there is already more than one Tommy. But then I guess that would require it to be more than a skin. Maybe it's better suited as an alternate skin for Tyrano Jason, that character uses a sword already.

tumblr_nr6xw2ReOU1s2zwu1o8_500.gif

The Ryu Ranger is cool af but I'd rather we get some more rangers in before bringing guests. I need one ranger from each series!

It me, that guy that still doesn't know who Magna Defender is.

You missed out on Lost Galaxy!

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Preorders were only available through the official website and ended early even though the preorders were digital? That's kind of odd.
Excited the game looks good and if I hadn't already bought 3 games this month I totally would jump in for launch day, if only because I used to be such a big Power Rangers fan back in the day.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I just preorderedthe standard version for ps4. Im excited for the game and to show a certain nephew of mine.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Jason, Tommy, and Goldar, I 'know' the others from following the game. I never cared much for Power Rangers. I'm here for the 3v3 action.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
It me, that guy that still doesn't know who Magna Defender is.
I had to look it up myself.
Outside of Jason, Tommy, and Goldar, I 'know' the others from following the game. I never cared much for Power Rangers. I'm here for the 3v3 action.

You guys should check out the BOOM comics! They're actually pretty great, and lapsed fans that fell off after Mighty Morphin should feel themselves right at home.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You guys should check out the BOOM comics! They're actually pretty great, and lapsed fans that fell off after Mighty Morphin should feel themselves right at home.
I want to, after I heard about Shattered Grid I got really curious and then I learned about that 1960s or whatever decade it was mini-arc and got even more curious!