• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Launch Ranger who's not Tommy

• MMPR Red

Votes: 131 33.4%
  • Megaforce Yellow

Votes: 24 6.1%
  • Magna Defender

Votes: 61 15.6%
  • Kat Ranger

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • Ranger Slayer

Votes: 97 24.7%
  • Goldar

Votes: 31 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Calling it. Green Ranger + Black Dragon Trini is gonna be the most hated duo in the game.

Start one of the specials on the ground, call Green Ranger dive kick assist and tag out at full screen and Trini is now off screen and unreadable...jump to their other side with Green Ranger. You are now in a left/right mixup situation so lets go over your options here.

• Crouching Block? Not really the best. If Trini did the Air Unblockable move its overhead and will hit you crouching. Plus it sets up one of Tommy's many easy overheads that are fast too. This means if they chose dive then the Tommy player will use crouching attacks every time to force you to crouching block and eat the dive. Plus grab gon get ya.
  • Standing Block? If its the grab your toast. If its the dive your good...which means the Tommy player who chose the Grab is going to go for a low attack every time to ACTUALLY open you up this time and not just to force you to block low for Trini. He knows if he called dive and you are trying to block it standing that all he has to do is hit a low to get you.
  • Jump? If its the grab your good. The dive is air unblockable though so your toast if its that. This means Tommy will anti air. Likely after going for a crouching attack because we already know now that regardless of dive or grab that low attacks are his priority in this setup. If you jump him he will either anti air or do nothing.
  • EX moves or Super for Armor? Might work...unless its the grab or certain supers. Grab will beat armor since it'll hit them from behind. Supers will likely fall to this too. If its the dive though...pretty good odds you can survive that. Plus its unlikely any Tommy will be blocking during this setup. They'll be hitting low attacks mostly, followed by anti airs and then maybe overheads
  • Call an assist and tag? This can work. Even if you get hit the pressure will prevent Tommy from capitalizing.
Your best hope is for an ex move, assist or super to save you. Tommy players may easily bait you with meter to go for this by doing this mixup and then just empty blocking after a few lows. Many EX moves and supers are still vulnerable but a trade scenario is often the case here as well as with assist calling or tagging from an assist call.

Good luck. All scenarios are generally meter or resource costly and seem likely to result in trades in a best case scenario. Frequent users of the mixup will be very much a hassle to deal with. Plus Folks can call Tommy's dive during Trini grabs as well to full screen pressure with this team as well as use Trini negabeam assist to compliment Tommy's great in and out pressure. This means that the teams NORMAL mixup can just tag cancel to Tommy to go for that mixup I listed above as a second mixup attempt. Either way the team just full on is always opening you up with pressure from fullscreen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Black Dragon Trini

• cannot LMH. Must transition with crouching moves to magic series
  • M is her anti air.
  • cr L is her go to poke
  • target combos are her thing. Mashable L is good to go in, Mashable M is the launcher, HH is a stagger state you can combo from
  • Has a nega beam special. Starts blasting the ground with a beam and slowly sweeps it forward to full screen along ground. Great combo ender. Punishable point blank on block so careful if you use it on strings...spacing required
  • Has a great full screen mixup with her other two specials. One is a full screen grab. Think Lariat Express with Broly. The other is a full screen AIR UNBLOCKABLE arching dive. So they either try to jump the grab or standing block the dive. The startup on BOTH is so long where she charges her boosters for them that if you call an assist and tag out full screen (say from Green Rangers dive kick assist) you can actually lose Black Trini off the edge of the screen but she will still charge in and do her attack. Since both have the same startup they now have to deal with an unreadable mixup...potentially a left right mixup as well if you tagged in and jumped to the other side before trini did her attack! Great for tags
  • her assist is the negabeam. Absolutely great
  • huge body means more combos work on her than others. Easy to get bopped
  • Has a great air special...a dropping stomp that earthquakes! Great combo tool
  • Her jumping L and H juggle her jumping M does not. Keep this in mind during jump combos. They are L a swipe, M a stomp below her in the air, H a BIG tail swipe
  • Has huge health. Average is 950...she has 1150.
  • has a gorgeous color alt thats dragonzord colored
  • Super is a full screen kamehameha style beam
Well done, threadmarked since I can't do a better job. I'll do the same for any other excellent gameplay breakdown posts I see

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Well done, threadmarked since I can't do a better job. I'll do the same for any other excellent gameplay breakdown posts I see
I aim to please. Except online. I will be aiming to frustrate hard soon once I'm off this damned outage and back to normal schedule and no overtime.

I will be playing ...Green Ranger/Black Dragon Trini/Ranger Slayer

Since Trini is a lockdown assist thats pretty long winded I wanna use Ranger Slayer with it. Go for knockdown, call Trini then either setup up orbs on top of folks or go for arrow charges or both. Betting I can get some neat full screen extensions off that assist too if I get the timing down.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The perceived quality of the game is soooo different with voices, man, I can't wait for that update. Trini looks like my kind of character too.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Nice to see Black Trini adds to the variety and styles of the fighters i this game. Hope they go for no clones for as long as possible. So hyped to see what kind of fighters Udonna and Blue Ranger turn out to be. The hooks are there to make this game amazing 8 months to a year from now. Just keep delivering varied characters

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Nice to see Black Trini adds to the variety and styles of the fighters i this game. Hope they go for no clones for as long as possible. So hyped to see what kind of fighters Udonna and Blue Ranger turn out to be. The hooks are there to make this game amazing 8 months to a year from now. Just keep delivering varied characters
I'm hoping Udonna is Gambit style but with ice specials.
Also Story mode has the potential to be a big add, question is will it make update 1? It'll definitely be long before the season pass since that includes new stories for the mode

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Cenozoic Blue Ranger better have the German suplex from the film is all I'm saying. Would make a great grab super.

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I wonder how much Cenozoic Blue will pull from 2017 Billy. In Legacy Wars he has a pretty unique moveset, but if they were going off that, then I assume they would have just called the character in BftG Billy.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Can I propose we call this dude CenoBlue? I'm tired of typing the whole thing.
That or ZBDBFF Zordon's best dead blue friend forever.... nah CenoBlue or Naitfbb(Not actually in the flashback blue) works. Looking forward to Udonna footage next week

Also it's kinda sad we have over 25 years worth of shows and 1000's of monsters and yet only one monsterous monster makes base and it's from the original shie

Last edited:

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Also it's kinda sad we have over 25 years worth of shows and 1000's of monsters and yet only one monsterous monster makes base and it's from the original shie

We totally need more villains. Ecliptor, Zen Aku, Dai Shi, and maybe Psycho Red or Green would probably be my first choices, but I'd be open to anyone aside from more MMPR guys like Rita or Zedd.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
We totally need more villains. Ecliptor, Zen Aku, Dai Shi, and maybe Psycho Red or Green would probably be my first choices, but I'd be open to anyone aside from more MMPR guys like Rita or Zedd.
I'm hoping the mmpr train stops here. Ecliptor and his head would be cool, although Psycho Pink could just be a Ranger Slayer costume in all honesty. Also if we want a multi show villain the obvious pick is.... Elgar!
87253645ac095ed872ae7a79786575de.jpg

On a serious Snide/Heckyl is one of my favorite more recent picks, or heck Sledge could be decent

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
This game looks like it'll be in pretty good shape once it hits Steam. I'll continue to sob as I wait to play.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Wonder who is gonna be featured on this week's stream. Udonna or Blue. I hope they do both at once so we can hopefully get them quicker. Really don't wanna have to wait till May for them

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I've been rewatching Zeo, and now I really want to see King Mondo in this game. He'd be fantastic. We also totally need a random quarry stage. You can't have a Power Rangers fight without an inexplicable random quarry.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've been rewatching Zeo, and now I really want to see King Mondo in this game. He'd be fantastic. We also totally need a random quarry stage. You can't have a Power Rangers fight without an inexplicable random quarry.
I've never cared about quarries until I saw my first Metal Heroes show followed by Power Rangers. Suddenly I wanted nothing more than to go to a quarry and see what battles are being fought there.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
I fell asleep watching the latest twitch stream on my Switch via YouTube over the weekend. When I woke up. I was in the middle of a video for the mobile game. Was a little groggy and confused at first because the graphics are similar and ranger slayer was on screen lol. Then all these other awesome looking rangers and monsters started showing up! Made me realize there's a deep deep pool of characters already created for BFTG to draw from. This train is not gonna stop for quite awhile

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I fell asleep watching the latest twitch stream on my Switch via YouTube over the weekend. When I woke up. I was in the middle of a video for the mobile game. Was a little groggy and confused at first because the graphics are similar and ranger slayer was on screen lol. Then all these other awesome looking rangers and monsters started showing up! Made me realize there's a deep deep pool of characters already created for BFTG to draw from. This train is not gonna stop for quite awhile
Yeah all the characters so far are in the mobile game and share models(and likely all background research such as show assets and movement breakdowns) but animations and movesets are from scratch. One exception is cenoblue over Billy but they have the same model with different coloring

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Also with voice acting coming, now being halfway through lost galaxy, The sound alike for Magna Defender should be based off the best voice aka the original one, not Mikes

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If he isn't the movie Blue Ranger who is he? Legitimate question. Googling just nets me a bunch of pictures and references to the blue ranger in the 2017 movie.

He's the blue ranger from Zordon's original crew from the cenozoic era. So not actually seen in the movie but Billy basically gains his powers, and he h as like slightly different white accents from Billy's armor. Why him and not Billy, I couldn't tell you.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
He's the blue ranger from Zordon's original crew from the cenozoic era. So not actually seen in the movie but Billy basically gains his powers, and he h as like slightly different white accents from Billy's armor. Why him and not Billy, I couldn't tell you.
If Billy is in the mobile game, then there's a chance we might see him here as well

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
So I noticed there's no current way to play with friends.
Do they plan on adding this?
I hope so. especially seeing that they've been touting this whole cross platform thing..which hasn't come to fruition yet as far as i know. I love this game but i really wish i could forward time so this game can get to where it should've been

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I hope so. especially seeing that they've been touting this whole cross platform thing..which hasn't come to fruition yet as far as i know. I love this game but i really wish i could forward time so this game can get to where it should've been
Again along with story mode, lobbies(and apparently voiced intros/outros/supers) missed launch

Also as I continue on last galaxy yeah Magna Defender is the right choice. He's the most unique of the 6th rangers yet out of the shows I've watched(especially since he's technically not a Ranger). Although like I said before hopefully his voice alike is the og style and not mike. Magna has a whole Lone Ranger/rebel with a cause voice going on

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
New character bios are up on the site!
https://battleforthegrid.com/pages/characters
NAITFBB(CenoBlue) seems to be a Magna Defender situation where it's not technically either one but both so they have for free range for movesets choice.

Also three more placeholders are up, perhaps teasing more free characters? Or just the season pass, time will tell

Also last stream is up on youtube

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to say I haven't played this since release day. When I get the chance, I'll have a proper read through this thread, but is there a anywhere I can see a brief rundown of what's changed/been added since then?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I haven't touched it in a few weeks? Not that it has anything to do with the game, well more than it did previously, but my mother in law passed away and I just haven't had the time to really sit down and play anything right now. :(

The updates look exciting though. I'm down for more characters for sure.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sad to say I haven't played this since release day. When I get the chance, I'll have a proper read through this thread, but is there a anywhere I can see a brief rundown of what's changed/been added since then?
Mainly bug fixes. However update 1 is coming within the next week or two and it's bringing 3 new free characters(dragon Armor Trini, Udonna(mystic white) and CenoBlue) and 'more' so maybe a new mode or two? Lobbies and story mode are at the top of the list. Oh and the update is adding voiced intros, outros and supers

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Mainly bug fixes. However update 1 is coming within the next week or two and it's bringing 3 new free characters(dragon Armor Trini, Udonna(mystic white) and CenoBlue) and 'more' so maybe a new mode or two? Lobbies and story mode are at the top of the list. Oh and the update is adding voiced intros, outros and supers
Ok. From skimming the thread I thought some of these were added already but it's good to know they're on the way soon.