• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Launch Ranger who's not Tommy

• MMPR Red

Votes: 131 33.4%
  • Megaforce Yellow

Votes: 24 6.1%
  • Magna Defender

Votes: 61 15.6%
  • Kat Ranger

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • Ranger Slayer

Votes: 97 24.7%
  • Goldar

Votes: 31 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the basic combo structure here? Ground combos > Launcher > Air combo.....what next? Ground bounce? hard knockdown? (is that a thing?) Assist?

Oct 25, 2017
Finally glad to enjoy the PC release, and the shadow drop of Season 2 is pretty amazing. All on board with supporting this game just to see it continue to improve.

Haven't checked the other stores but the Shadow and Quantum ranger are both available to buy on Steam individually and through the S2 pass.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
So what's the basic combo structure here? Ground combos > Launcher > Air combo.....what next? Ground bounce? hard knockdown? (is that a thing?) Assist?
The absolute basic is you can chain s.L, c.L, s.M, c.M, s.H, c.H to launch -> j.l, j.m, j.h for a spike that gives a ground bounce and then you can finish your combo there. Seems like there's a lot of options for much crazier stuff than that though but I'm just learning the ins and outs.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The absolute basic is you can chain s.L, c.L, s.M, c.M, s.H, c.H to launch -> j.l, j.m, j.h for a spike that gives a ground bounce and then you can finish your combo there. Seems like there's a lot of options for much crazier stuff than that though but I'm just learning the ins and outs.
I'll try this. I was experimenting with extending air combos with assists last night but the ground combos were lacking.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Why on Earth do they have cross-play Off by DEFAULT? They have such a wonderful thing to help the player-base then disable it for everyone from the off. It's like shooting yourself in the foot.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Say guys, I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't beat story mode, I got stalled on the act 2 final chapter with pink only, any advice? While I love fighting games I've always sucked at quick button execution(button mashing qte's kill me every time). Figured I'd jump back in with the season pass characters to help round things out. Maybe I should break out my wired controller with turbo and try and cheese it...

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
I wonder if there's a Japanese scene for this game at all? Considering that they got Super Sentai there which I assume would make the non-dedicated Power Rangers fans there very confused as to how everyone's called

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder if there's a Japanese scene for this game at all? Considering that they got Super Sentai there which I assume would make the non-dedicated Power Rangers fans there very confused as to how everyone's called
Power rangers was relocalized there for years apparently so I doubt it'd be as confusing as you'd think since they know it exists.
No idea if there's a scene there

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Doggie should be up on PS4 tomorrow (per Twitter). I really wish Sony would enable cross play. The population is sadly low considering how fun the game is.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
Say guys, I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't beat story mode, I got stalled on the act 2 final chapter with pink only, any advice? While I love fighting games I've always sucked at quick button execution(button mashing qte's kill me every time). Figured I'd jump back in with the season pass characters to help round things out. Maybe I should break out my wired controller with turbo and try and cheese it...

The Story Mode likes throwing you into battles with a solo Kimberly outnumbered by enemies, which sucks because I'm not great with Kimberly. For some tips, her Medium attacks are all arrow shots (except crouching-Medium which is a slide). Pressing back or forward with Medium are different arrow attacks. Her neutral-Special increases the numbers of arrows she fires with any arrow attack (though usually lowers the damage of each individual arrow), or makes her air Special drop two mines instead of one (doesn't seem to be worth it since individual mine damage is lowered and even if both hit it's not that much higher than one). It also seems to modify her forward-Special so that it can only hit airborne opponents.

Don't be afraid to run away and try and pepper the target with arrows (especially a back-Special if you've upgraded it with neutral-Special). The slide (crouch-Medium) is usually a good way to catch the AI for a combo. I usually used my meter for EX Specials instead of Super. Also, if you press Medium in the air she usually fires straight in front of her, but if you do it after a forward-Special she instead fires multiple arrows down in front of her, which can be useful.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The Story Mode likes throwing you into battles with a solo Kimberly outnumbered by enemies, which sucks because I'm not great with Kimberly. For some tips, her Medium attacks are all arrow shots (except crouching-Medium which is a slide). Pressing back or forward with Medium are different arrow attacks. Her neutral-Special increases the numbers of arrows she fires with any arrow attack (though usually lowers the damage of each individual arrow), or makes her air Special drop two mines instead of one (doesn't seem to be worth it since individual mine damage is lowered and even if both hit it's not that much higher than one). It also seems to modify her forward-Special so that it can only hit airborne opponents.

Don't be afraid to run away and try and pepper the target with arrows (especially a back-Special if you've upgraded it with neutral-Special). The slide (crouch-Medium) is usually a good way to catch the AI for a combo. I usually used my meter for EX Specials instead of Super. Also, if you press Medium in the air she usually fires straight in front of her, but if you do it after a forward-Special she instead fires multiple arrows down in front of her, which can be useful.
I cleared it, barely thankfully.

Curious to see if we see more story

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
Trying to see what all the new combo callouts are (with 30+ being voice clips from the shows). So far I've seen:

5-9: "Mega!"
10-14: "Super!
15-19: "Ultra!"
20-24: "Morphinominal!"
25-29: "Powered up!"
30-34: Alpha-5 saying "Aiaiaiaiai"
35-39: Zordon saying "May the power protect you."
40-44: Rita saying "Impossible!"
45-49: Zordon(?) saying "Victory is fun." (?)
50-54: Jason saying "It's morphin time!"

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am not a fan of the series outside of some mild nostalgia for the original and I kinda hate assist based team fighting games but maaaaan this looks fantastic. Absolutely going to support it sometime in the future. I am excited to see how weird future seasons get!

I have been meaning to watch Jetman for awhile now. What are the odds of pre-Zyuranger being repped in this game? I have no idea if the comics or anything ever delved into earlier stuff.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I am not a fan of the series outside of some mild nostalgia for the original and I kinda hate assist based team fighting games but maaaaan this looks fantastic. Absolutely going to support it sometime in the future. I am excited to see how weird future seasons get!

I have been meaning to watch Jetman for awhile now. What are the odds of pre-Zyuranger being repped in this game? I have no idea if the comics or anything ever delved into earlier stuff.
The comics and the mega crossover established a few of the older ones as existing however odds are super old when we have converted shows that aren't even represented including some of the most popular(RPM, Lightspeed Rescue, And Dino Thunder namely) and it's more likely that the rest would get repped before comic only(Operation Overdrive, Wild Force, Dino Charged, Samurai, Ninja Steel, some other more recent ones I'm forgetting). Also a comic original or one who got skipped in the show would happen first(Dark Ranger got his full arc on Dino charged but they cheaped out and didn't have him morph).

Basically there's too big a line XD

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The comics and the mega crossover established a few of the older ones as existing however odds are super old when we have converted shows that aren't even represented including some of the most popular(RPM, Lightspeed Rescue, And Dino Thunder namely) and it's more likely that the rest would get repped before comic only(Operation Overdrive, Wild Force, Dino Charged, Samurai, Ninja Steel, some other more recent ones I'm forgetting). Also a comic original or one who got skipped in the show would happen first(Dark Ranger got his full arc on Dino charged but they cheaped out and didn't have him morph).

Basically there's too big a line XD
That is fair. Honestly I am not rooting for anyone in particular, I just want them to keep up the great diversity the roster has so far. I would love more traditional monsters though.

What would you say the odds of Ivan Ooze are? I heard Fox owns him so I assume he is off limits?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Back to post more starter combos. I know it's hard for some to learn fighting games and that the ranger fan base isnt one with a history in fgcu so I figure lots of beginners exist who need to know how to get good damage in as few hits as possible off things like mashing L or M or crL for confirms.

I'll try to make and post these often here. I dont get lots of grind time anyhow so I tend to make tons of these for backpocket easy damage I can get consistently when I get time to play.

For Ranger Slayer and Gia Moran the assists used dont really matter too much. Experiment with whatever characters you like. Also remember that generally speaking you can use more than one launcher in a combo for this game so where I go into assist then super is really where (once your comfortable) you should instead relaunch and loop the combo.

For example, Trini bounces folks off her air M. In that combo I just did air heavy and landed into her beam. You can actually land into a relaunch there instead by doing M,M again instead of landing and doing the beam.

Also this game had otg. If someone hits the ground it's not necessarily over. Experiment with your button to see if you got moves that hit folks back off the ground or "otg". An example of that is doggies beam sword that hits full screen.

Half fun newcomers. I'll try to make basic beginner stuff for as many characters as they put out.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Dacidbro. Dude is goin in so hard for Anubis doggie Kruger. Loved his stuff and he promises it's just scratching the surface for him and this character. Fro. What gadget guru and discorders post I believe it. Character is a sandbox for creativity.

Also glad to see folks starting to learn how to handle cenoblue. He can still decintegrate health bars on a touch but folks are learning to block and punish better.

Seeing a lot of training mode habits lol. Combos popped out mid screen that drop because folks usually end up doin em closer to corners and infrequent assist setups called in favor of leavin them for their big practiced combos lol. I'm telling you...soon somebody gonna grind setups over combos and this thing will get hectic with all the assists, dashes and snap back tactics.

Game is stellar but it's still obvious folks are only now showing up. These tournies are just scratching the surface about what we will soon see. Cant wait.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Game is stellar but it's still obvious folks are only now showing up. These tournies are just scratching the surface about what we will soon see. Cant wait.
I have really enjoyed seeing the impressions and reputation of the game grow. The games's initial key issue was the lack of roster variety and now that there are far more characters that are exciting players as fans and players find new mains and possibilities.

Word of mouth is really doing a lot for this game, I've observed.

EDIT: So... I guess this is my current list of picks for Battle for the Grid - trying to find a healthy balance of reps for seasons, color balance, media representation, gender variety, villains, and trying to avoid leaning too hard on exclusively 6th Rangers. They're not exclusively my favorite choices, but ones that I feel would best benefit the game.
PR-copy.jpg

Trent - the suit alone is often ranked as one of PR's best. Gameplay-wise, he's got tons of unique powers and a power-up mode.
Ziggy - he could be the Deadpool of this game; erratic, funny, and with an unpredictable teleport. He'd bring some fun to the experience.
Psycho Pink - I vouch for her as the best Psycho, who are some of PR's best villains. Give her the Savage Sword and make her ruthless in her gameplay.
Phantom Ranger - Turbo isn't a great season, but Phantom Ranger still left an impact and pulled his weight in Shattered Grid. He'd be a good rep.
Lauren - A huge role in Shattered Grid, one of the few female Red Rangers, and a lot of cool abilities makes her a inclusion almost locked already, I think.
TJ - was going from red to blue a step down? Not for TJ, who had some of his best moments in PRiS as a Blue. He's a fan favorite for a good reason.
Cam - Cam was a highlight in Ninja Storm, with one of the better story arcs, but his multi-form Green powers offer fresh gameplay opportunities.
Ryan - One of the few American-created 6th Rangers, the Titanium Ranger was used sparingly but effectively. He'd just edge out Carter Friggin' Grayson.
Zen-Aku - Wild Force wasn't one of my favorite seasons, but it has some good villains and good designs, of which Zen-Aku was definitely the best.
Moltor - Do I HAVE to include a rep from Operation Overdrive? ... Fine, we'll go with Moltor, who could at least bring fire and lava powers to the game.
Ellarien - One of the few official LGBT Rangers and a comic-exclusive rep so far, Ari was a very solid edition to the roster with some flashy powers to boot.
Heckyl - We didn't get the Dark Ranger in live-action. Boo. The comics fixed that and brought Heckyl's story full-circle from villain to hero. He'd be a natural fit.

Many of them already have some Legacy Wars models to build from, which should help.

Good list? Or any anyone majorly disagrees with?

Last edited:

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I've been thinking of picking this up on PC. Just want to make sure it's a good port and that I can but the DLC in packs on steam instead of individually.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I know very very little about MMPR outside of Tommy Era from when I was a kid. I know loose stuff about some of the Sentai shows it was based off of.

That said my only pics in general are these three.
Wolf Ranger
Gokai Green
Gokai Silver

Wolf Ranger because the dude was purple and hey we dont see that often. Plus mainly the dude threw a LOOOOOOT of knees and elbows. I figure we could use a muay thai dude.
3701375a5f78481853ba90f97e928930e1741265_hq.gif

Gokai Green or Legacy Green? I dont know...but in japan Gokaiger green was the ONLY dude I've ever seen doing figure four leglocks, dragon screws and other wrestling stuff. I would love for that to make it in on a ranger moveset. Plus he was insane.
tumblr_n2iej2uA6v1qdsraqo1_400.gif
a13HpP3.gif
source.gif

Gokai Silver...he um...was like adhd or something? I dunno. Dude seems like a hyper active mofo and his design was cool and he always looked cool in gif form. Plus a trident user would be awesome for pokes. Only reason I want him lol. They already got all my main wants in this game.
tumblr_ndzgu6s4nL1r0j0yso5_400.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I have really enjoyed seeing the impressions and reputation of the game grow. The games's initial key issue was the lack of roster variety and now that there are far more characters that are exciting players as fans and players find new mains and possibilities.

Word of mouth is really doing a lot for this game, I've observed.

EDIT: So... I guess this is my current list of picks for Battle for the Grid - trying to find a healthy balance of reps for seasons, color balance, media representation, gender variety, villains, and trying to avoid leaning too hard on exclusively 6th Rangers. They're not exclusively my favorite choices, but ones that I feel would best benefit the game.
PR-copy.jpg

Trent - the suit alone is often ranked as one of PR's best. Gameplay-wise, he's got tons of unique powers and a power-up mode.
Ziggy - he could be the Deadpool of this game; erratic, funny, and with an unpredictable teleport. He'd bring some fun to the experience.
Psycho Pink - I vouch for her as the best Psycho, who are some of PR's best villains. Give her the Savage Sword and make her ruthless in her gameplay.
Phantom Ranger - Turbo isn't a great season, but Phantom Ranger still left an impact and pulled his weight in Shattered Grid. He'd be a good rep.
Lauren - A huge role in Shattered Grid, one of the few female Red Rangers, and a lot of cool abilities makes her a inclusion almost locked already, I think.
TJ - was going from red to blue a step down? Not for TJ, who had some of his best moments in PRiS as a Blue. He's a fan favorite for a good reason.
Cam - Cam was a highlight in Ninja Storm, with one of the better story arcs, but his multi-form Green powers offer fresh gameplay opportunities.
Ryan - One of the few American-created 6th Rangers, the Titanium Ranger was used sparingly but effectively. He'd just edge out Carter Friggin' Grayson.
Zen-Aku - Wild Force wasn't one of my favorite seasons, but it has some good villains and good designs, of which Zen-Aku was definitely the best.
Moltor - Do I HAVE to include a rep from Operation Overdrive? ... Fine, we'll go with Moltor, who could at least bring fire and lava powers to the game.
Ellarien - One of the few official LGBT Rangers and a comic-exclusive rep so far, Ari was a very solid edition to the roster with some flashy powers to boot.
Heckyl - We didn't get the Dark Ranger in live-action. Boo. The comics fixed that and brought Heckyl's story full-circle from villain to hero. He'd be a natural fit.

Many of them already have some Legacy Wars models to build from, which should help.

Good list? Or any anyone majorly disagrees with?
Kamdor for operation overdrive for me, he was the better villain

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up this game on PC last night and man oh man am I having fun. The gameplay is some of the most fun I've had with a team fighter.

I am eager to see what other updates the future holds, and hope the game begins to see even more exposure because it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Shady_K is in the discord chat dropping teaser vids of new content being developed for each character in the eventual 1.6 release.
Folks are getting new animations and a TON of OTG tools are being added. Dudes hit the ground you knock em off the ground and keep on doin combo hits in 1.6
Loving the new improved Drakkon EX Genocide cutter animation for the second kick. Also loving that his slide kick off teleport is an otg. Hell they made Mastodon Sentry landmine and Green Ranger's Air Special otg!
Things are looking like they're gonna be completely nuts on combos once they finalize what they're messing around with.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
PC version took a while, but the game is tight.

I want a Dino Thunder rep, and I don't really care who as long as it's not Dr. O. Don't need 3 Tommy variants; Thunder Black can be a costume. Trent or Zeltrax would be hype.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PC version took a while, but the game is tight.

I want a Dino Thunder rep, and I don't really care who as long as it's not Dr. O. Don't need 3 Tommy variants; Thunder Black can be a costume. Trent or Zeltrax would be hype.
The White Ranger skin does have me curious if he'll still play his dragon dagger flute... only the dagger is Saba.
images

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
When you do Super with Tommy's V2 skin, he raises the sword of darkness towards his face, then when it does the close-up it's magically changed into the dragon dagger for him to play. Hopefully they do something better with the White Ranger skin.

Do we think that when the current ranked season ends in two weeks is when will get Quantum Ranger and White Ranger? (ie. the Shadow Episode ends, then the Quantum Episode starts or something).

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
this game turned me onto watching Power Rangers again and I started with Power Rangers: RPM and oh my god Power Rangers: RPM owns so fucking hard and it's kind of batshit crazy and I'm kind of drunk

give me Dillon or Ziggy as fighters fucking NOW

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
this game turned me onto watching Power Rangers again and I started with Power Rangers: RPM and oh my god Power Rangers: RPM owns so fucking hard and it's kind of batshit crazy and I'm kind of drunk

give me Dillon or Ziggy as fighters fucking NOW
Gotta be Ziggy, we only have one green ranger and a teleported with a battleaxe would be so cool(while on the other hand we technically have 4 Black rangers when this season pass finishes)

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
If it matters, Ziggy and Gemma are the only RPM characters that made it into Legacy Wars.

As a side note, for as much as Gem & Gemma were a pair during RPM, it's kind of weird that only Gemma went on to appear in a bunch of things afterwards.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Gotta be Ziggy, we only have one green ranger and a teleported with a battleaxe would be so cool(while on the other hand we technically have 4 Black rangers when this season pass finishes)
You're absolutely right. And outside not needing another black ranger, we don't need another stoic badass one either. Ziggy is way more unique personality-wise, being the little twerp fucker he is. He should cry in his intro and be like the Josie or Pom of this game.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You're absolutely right. And outside not needing another black ranger, we don't need another stoic badass one either. Ziggy is way more unique personality-wise, being the little twerp fucker he is. He should cry in his intro and be like the Josie or Pom of this game.
His moves would be full of slipups and fakeout mixups too, maybe a chargeup on the teleporter to mix up what it does and call back to it not always being predictable, like a special that is a forward dash or a teleport back attack depending on hold length

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out I can delay for days after air M stomp with Trini. When they bounce they stay airborne so long I dont need to try to slip in an extra attack to keep em juggled before I relaunch. This means I can do lmm,jm,launcher,jljh,land,jljh into whatever ground shit I want and have em at half life or less before super now.

After you launcher with crH into jljh they stay up so long you can literally land and jump back up into another jljh before they drop low enough you gotta do ground moves. I think jumping attacks scale very low in this for her because even though shes doin jumping light they dont fall out from usual scaling costs from abusing light attacks.

I'm now certain ver 1.5 team scrub has to include red/trini lol. Trini is just armored mashable hits that all convert and her awesome beam assist does near full damage on block as well as can kill on chip. Red can just mash it out with his buttons and blaster at any point establishes neutral in his favor. Team scrub third is in the air. Maybe doggie, gia or ceno.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
Not sure when it got added, but Steam now has a page for the Dai Shi DLC with screenshots.

ss_1ace48614a8ffbe6f205ea38062b9b9fff61cb9c.1920x1080.jpg

That's a pretty Akuma-looking pose.

There's also release dates listed: October 22nd for Quantum Ranger, and then December 10th for Dai Shi & the White Ranger skin.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure when it got added, but Steam now has a page for the Dai Shi DLC with screenshots.

ss_1ace48614a8ffbe6f205ea38062b9b9fff61cb9c.1920x1080.jpg

That's a pretty Akuma-looking pose.

There's also release dates listed: October 22nd for Quantum Ranger, and then December 10th for Dai Shi & the White Ranger skin.

It was added yesterday and I think the date is a placeholder. They said he would be out in November. Take a look at the top left, he doesn't have a character portrait yet. I think they just needed something to put on the page.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
SWITCH UPDATE
For those whose season 2 dlc wasn't working and who didnt have doggie a fix was released today and I can confirm it works.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, Undefeated is tomorrow! Three of the top 4 placers at Evo will be competing including SDK (1st), me (2nd), and ARK Alpha Letters Soup (tied for 4th). I think it'll be streamed but not sure where.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
At my yearly convention in wv teaching folks Battle for the Grid. Folks are LOVING IT.
I'm biased towards Trini but folks are doing good all over with cast. Saw some neat Udonna ice shenanigans with Kat pressure and some really bold usage of Kats flips and invulnerable frames to contest shit.

So much fun seeing folks figure out characters and combos.