• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Launch Ranger who's not Tommy

• MMPR Red

Votes: 131 33.4%
  • Megaforce Yellow

Votes: 24 6.1%
  • Magna Defender

Votes: 61 15.6%
  • Kat Ranger

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • Ranger Slayer

Votes: 97 24.7%
  • Goldar

Votes: 31 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Server maintenance today but also a small balance patch with notes!

Quantum keeps winning.
battleforthegrid.com

2.1 Patch Notes

Gameplay Bug Fixes Fixed an issue where throw attempts forced “autocorrect” on every frame. Throw facing direction is now fixed, preventing cases where an opponent crossing up a character’s throw animation would allow the character to instantaneously turn around to grab the opponent. Fixed...

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Still waiting for season 3 to be announced, I need Ziggy and more villains like Kamdor

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for season 3 to be announced, I need Ziggy and more villains like Kamdor
I'm after Heckyl and Purple Solar Ranger from Beyond the grid comics personally. Heckyl because in legacy wars he has a boomerang for nice mixup and relaunch stuff plus teleports. Purple Solar because visually they glitch out a lot, they energy vampire and they have energy animal summons so I'm hoping stand user or a summoner or screen trash character like Trish's peekaboo from umvc3.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'm after Heckyl and Purple Solar Ranger from Beyond the grid comics personally. Heckyl because in legacy wars he has a boomerang for nice mixup and relaunch stuff plus teleports. Purple Solar because visually they glitch out a lot, they energy vampire and they have energy animal summons so I'm hoping stand user or a summoner or screen trash character like Trish's peekaboo from umvc3.
Oh I'd love Dark Ranger, Dino charged was my first PR show for random reasons and I was so sad he got short changed his transformation there

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nice.
Only thing that kept me away was knowing nothing about the source material, but happy to try it now.
Yep, it should be available on GamePass now, which is a huge get!

I'm sure this stupid virus stuff is putting a damper on a lot of news that would otherwise be ready to go or close to ready. I know they've been talking up a Season 3 a LONG time, so we all know it's coming. Just a matter of WHEN.

I'll definitely join "Team Ziggy". He was on my shortlist of characters I thought should be included. Not that I'd be super-disappointed with any of the RPM reps (it's a really good season), but Ziggy does feel like the most "fun" addition they could add.

And two more from my Wishlist. The comic got a lot of love so far, so I think they'd be fun to include.

I guess the only thing that might dampen their chances is the interviews I read about how some felt it was a mistake to lean so heavily on comic-only characters (Ranger Slayer, Mastodon Sentry, Lord Drakken, Dragon Armor Trini, etc.) when so many more Power Ranger fans were hoping for TV Season inclusions.

Every time this thread gets bumped I get excited that maybe Season 3 has been announced.
I know, I know.
source.gif

On the positive, I finally FINISHED reading Shattered Grid in its Collected edition today. Wow, what a story. And so many possible characters that I want to see included.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Started the Game Pass version now. Uff, I could barely beat the tutorial fight cause blocking works like absolute shit for some reason. I can barely block anything in this one. Is there something I'm missing?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
No clue. All block issues from the initial first week of launch over a year ago were online only and hotfixed out before even a major patch I believe.

Blocking should be totally fine.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Been having a bunch of connection issues last week, connection error 103, I think. I've got in to the game since it got added to game pass. Big UMvC3 player, any good vods I can watch?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Been having a bunch of connection issues last week, connection error 103, I think. I've got in to the game since it got added to game pass. Big UMvC3 player, any good vods I can watch?
My understanding is a recent patch affected the Switch version, which has been crashing the game and they're working on a fix, so those connection issues should be resolved soon.

There are a lot of great tutorials on Youtube, I've found, such as Parkerlad88, depending on who you want to play. Are you looking for combo and gameplay breakdowns, or just good vids of the game in action?

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
My understanding is a recent patch affected the Switch version, which has been crashing the game and they're working on a fix, so those connection issues should be resolved soon.

There are a lot of great tutorials on Youtube, I've found, such as Parkerlad88, depending on who you want to play. Are you looking for combo and gameplay breakdowns, or just good vids of the game in action?

Fair enough - I've been trying ranked but get disconnected every time.
That's great - thank you. Mainly vids I can learn combos from etc.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
So I still have some expiring Microsoft credit to use from when I cashed in points during a giftcard sale on Rewards. I thought MK11 KP2 would be announced by now. Whoops. So thinking about using it on the character DLC while it's on sale until tomorrow.

I just got the game on Game Pass on and PC, but I'm confused on how the crossbuy/save and progression works since it's not listed as Play Anywhere. Does that just mean I can't carry my save between the console and Win 10 version?
What about DLC? I'm not seeing separate PC and Xbox store listings? Does that work across console/PC?

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
So I still have some expiring Microsoft credit to use from when I cashed in points during a giftcard sale on Rewards. I thought MK11 KP2 would be announced by now. Whoops. So thinking about using it on the character DLC while it's on sale until tomorrow.

I just got the game on Game Pass on and PC, but I'm confused on how the crossbuy/save and progression works since it's not listed as Play Anywhere. Does that just mean I can't carry my save between the console and Win 10 version?
What about DLC? I'm not seeing separate PC and Xbox store listings? Does that work across console/PC?
Progression carries through all platforms once you link them to your nWay account, but the DLC isn't crossbuy.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Progression carries through all platforms once you link them to your nWay account, but the DLC isn't crossbuy.

Thanks! Gotta create that account then.

Just to make sure, the DLC isn't crossbuy between Xbox and the Windows Store version? I get other platforms lkle Steam aren't but separate DLC between those two would be real weird to me.

edit: Of course as soon as I panic spend my soon-expiring credit on these character passes while they are on sale, there's gonna be an MK11 announcement the next day. Now I won't have enough for that and would have probably had time before it expired. Oh well. I'll just have to make sure to learn this then to get my money's worth and it's supporting a dev doing work on the rollback and crossplay initiative.

Also, fwiw buying DLC on Xbox does give access to DLC on the Win10 version.

Do folks here do regular lobbies?

Last edited:

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Gotta create that account then.

Just to make sure, the DLC isn't crossbuy between Xbox and the Windows Store version? I get other platforms lkle Steam aren't but separate DLC between those two would be real weird to me.

edit: Of course as soon as I panic spend my soon-expiring credit on these character passes while they are on sale, there's gonna be an MK11 announcement the next day. Now I won't have enough for that and would have probably had time before it expired. Oh well. I'll just have to make sure to learn this then to get my money's worth and it's supporting a dev doing work on the rollback and crossplay initiative.

Also, fwiw buying DLC on Xbox does give access to DLC on the Win10 version.

Do folks here do regular lobbies?

a few of us did a shared lobby of sorts . Might start up again with the big ass patch that came out

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Man, played this on game pass - just the SP. and it's pretty damn good. I would love playing online but I am on WiFi. Bummer.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Stream starts in just under an hour. I think some form of additional DLC is a lock at the very least.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, out of my big list from several months ago, I got ONE right and Lauren make the cut.

Here's where my request list stands currently:
Power-Rangers-future-season.jpg

Ditched Moltor for Blaze since he's easily a better villain and I've finally gotten around to watching Beast Morphers, while I swapped Lauren out for Levi because Ninja Steel still lacks a rep and Levi would be the most interesting pick (though he and Cam would have to figure out who gets to play the guitar...).

However, with RJ announced, it's becoming clear they're okay going with 2+ reps per season before covering every season, and it's clear as day that third character is Scorpina. With Scorpina likely being the first on the roster with a human face, that changes my thinking on who may or may not get a future slot. I may make an alternate list of repeat season reps as well as one with actual human faces. The chances for characters like Astronema showing up just increased 10x.

Now here's the real question will Dai Who's alt color be an inverted color scheme as a phantom beast king reference or will they be cool and give it to us as an actual skin
Found out this skin's coming with the Season 3 pass, so good call there.

Last edited:

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hey, Power Rangers fans! I see the game is on sale on Switch, but I need your help to decide whether or not I should grab it.

I'm looking for a fighting game that's easy to play and hard to master, and well, that's what the game looks like and what the OT says it is. Basically, I suck at fighting games but I like them and want to have some fun. For reference, I think the last time I got instant fun with a fighting game was with Injustice. Tried Street Fighter V and Tekken, but those are all too technical for me.

The thing is: will I like this game if I'm not a Power Rangers fan? Meaning I never really watched the show, not that I dislike it? In fact, watching the show might push me into buying this, but there are so many options on Netflix... What's should I watch if I want to know who most of the characters (or the most important ones) in this game are? Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

Thanks!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hey, Power Rangers fans! I see the game is on sale on Switch, but I need your help to decide whether or not I should grab it.

I'm looking for a fighting game that's easy to play and hard to master, and well, that's what the game looks like and what the OT says it is. Basically, I suck at fighting games but I like them and want to have some fun. For reference, I think the last time I got instant fun with a fighting game was with Injustice. Tried Street Fighter V and Tekken, but those are all too technical for me.

The thing is: will I like this game if I'm not a Power Rangers fan? Meaning I never really watched the show, not that I dislike it? In fact, watching the show might push me into buying this, but there are so many options on Netflix... What's should I watch if I want to know who most of the characters (or the most important ones) in this game are? Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.

Thanks!
First part is an easy yes, I don't "play fighting games" and I absolutely love this.

Second part is a big ooof, don't bother unless you're literally watching the original MMPR run. All the other characters are plucked from one season here and there. It's not like you need to know any of them beyond they're cool looking hero people who fight good.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Thanks!
Yeah game makes it super easy to pull off combos and chains. Super easy to get into but challenging to master. Three standard attack buttons, a special button, a Zord comeback mechanic that just got retooled into a meter, and heck even crazy stuff like an optional wavedash button.

The game pulls from all over the place and the biggest story inspiration are the boom comics(which I hear are great, go check those out). While there's no need to watch any, there are a few legitimately great seasons(mmpr isn't really one it's cheesy fun but not great and shows it's age). Ironically while it has a stage it doesn't have a rep(yet...) RPM is considered one of the GOATs, and the writers gotta go crazy as it was right before an ownership/studio shift. Jungle Fury which has two reps here(Dai Shi and the upcoming Purple Wolf dude). Time Force(2), SPD(2) and Lost Galaxy(1) are pretty good too. But like I said if you want something really interesting go RPM, they go full apocalyptic last stronghold of humanity setup. Most of the shows are good fun, but they're not required to play the game but a bunch are worth checking out in their own right

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Thanks TheMoon and Mandos !

I have a long day of boring, repetitive work ahead of me, so I'll just play some episodes from the first season (I'm totally fine with old cheesy TV stuff) and then I'll watch a bit of RPM. I know it's not really required, but it might help me decide ^_^

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks TheMoon and Mandos !

I have a long day of boring, repetitive work ahead of me, so I'll just play some episodes from the first season (I'm totally fine with old cheesy TV stuff) and then I'll watch a bit of RPM. I know it's not really required, but it might help me decide ^_^
On MMPR reccomended watch is the multipart Green with Evil arc. (Also just to point out it's kinda interesting MMPR->Zeo->Turbo->In Space are all one continuing saga till Lost Galaxy breaks things off, after that you get cross over episodes but main shows tend to be more standalone with some special exceptions. RPM is almost completely standalone outside of a few eastereggs)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's definitely a solid FG, and it's really easy to get into. I feel like having multiple characters in a team automatically complicates things, and I don't know why so many fighters that are marketing themselves on being newcomer friendly are team based, but it's certainly easy to pick up and play, and you don't have any special motions to perform. I've not played in a few months, so I'm not sure if they've toned some stuff down, but super long and hard hitting combos are still in this, so if someone knows what they're doing you'll get destroyed very easily lol.

I love old PR, but I'd say Time Force is the first good season, outside of nostalgia. Plus it has Quatum Ranger aka. Vergil from DMC, as well as the best pink ranger.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, it's definitely a solid FG, and it's really easy to get into. I feel like having multiple characters in a team automatically complicates things, and I don't know why so many fighters that are marketing themselves on being newcomer friendly are team based, but it's certainly easy to pick up and play, and you don't have any special motions to perform. I've not played in a few months, so I'm not sure if they've toned some stuff down, but super long and hard hitting combos are still in this, so if someone knows what they're doing you'll get destroyed very easily lol.

I love old PR, but I'd say Time Force is the first good season, outside of nostalgia. Plus it has Quatum Ranger aka. Vergil from DMC, as well as the best pink ranger.
I'd argue Lost Galaxy(as someone who just got really into the series the other year, and is still working through the whole series. On Megaforce) I'd mainly for Magna Defender . (Although my fist show was randomly Dino Charged a few summers back for random reasons so shrug)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It might be because I was just finally at that stage where I had grown out of the Power Rangers demographic when Lost Galaxy aired but I really didn't like any of that. I had dropped out already during Turbo (ugh that kid ...worst trope in everything) but checked into LG to see what that was like.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

Thanks!
The only PR I've ever watched was MMPR back in the day and that was really up until the green ranger became the white ranger. That said, I love this game. The characters have a lot of variety and the developers are clearly pouring pure love into it.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
Astronema got added to the mobile game. She's someone I'd like to see in this version. Though hopefully they'd include her alternate hairstyles because the one they picked for the mobile game isn't my favorite.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Astronema got added to the mobile game. She's someone I'd like to see in this version. Though hopefully they'd include her alternate hairstyles because the one they picked for the mobile game isn't my favorite.
With Scorpina being in (supposedly...), Astronema's chances went up significantly.

Haven't really followed Legacy Wars, but seems overdue, and a good sign for her to pop up in BftG eventually.
hqdefault.jpg

She's got a metric ton of hair styles, but I understand why they went with purple. It was her debut hair style and the one they most revisit.
EachSlimyAnnelid-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_nfkzb4cYhk1qc7cmzo1_500.gifv

... Also, I am duly reminded that Melody Perkins is a goddess, whether as an Empress of Evil or a Power Ranger.

The real crazy thing is if they could pull a Ranger Slayer and give her both an Astronema AND Karone skin to work with one playstyle.

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
How does the Game Pass discount work for DLC? I noticed all the previous DLC gets a Game Pass discount. I assume this is just a timed thing? If so, any idea how long it takes?

Also, any word on the release timing for the other 2 characters in the pass?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm trying to think of constructive things to offer on feedback to the developers, since they recently expressed interest in hearing some feedback on where the game is currently.

Excluding DLC discussions and roster begging, I'm struggling to think about the type of feedback I want to share with them. There's both a TON of things I'd like to suggest, but also having trouble orchestrating my thoughts. I'm not a hardcore fighter, so I couldn't tell you a thing about how I'd want to tweak or modify characters, moves, or anything at the crux of the actual fighting mechanics.

Things from adding fun and feasible bits of solo content, visual improvements, and general refinements are more where I'm at, but I'm open to figuring out other things we'd like to see added or tweaked.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I'm trying to think of constructive things to offer on feedback to the developers, since they recently expressed interest in hearing some feedback on where the game is currently.

Excluding DLC discussions and roster begging, I'm struggling to think about the type of feedback I want to share with them. There's both a TON of things I'd like to suggest, but also having trouble orchestrating my thoughts. I'm not a hardcore fighter, so I couldn't tell you a thing about how I'd want to tweak or modify characters, moves, or anything at the crux of the actual fighting mechanics.

Things from adding fun and feasible bits of solo content, visual improvements, and general refinements are more where I'm at, but I'm open to figuring out other things we'd like to see added or tweaked.
Two things I can think of. First and foremost, I think they should work on at least 5 combo trials per character. There isn't an in-game resource for learning, and experimentation can only get you so far if you don't know what to look for. For RJ and Trey in particular, my game didn't evolve until better players had developed good basic bnb's for me to work off of. Steer people in a good direction, and I think the game becomes much less intimidating.

The second is a minor quality of life thing, which would be saving ALL of your training mode settings. Every single time I boot up the game, I have to change the dummy to block follow-ups. Again, minor, but it would make things a little less annoying than they have to be.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

yea for me it would be mostly presentation-polish which is probably not really what they want to hear. I'd like some more stage variety, even something like different times of day or conditions that affect the look of a stage that cycle through like weather that would offer more variety without them needing to make new stages outright. I keep wishing the music would get more 80s/90s Sentai vibes in there, the reworked older songs are definitely already an improvement but still sonically don't "feel" right. I have like no opinions on the actual mechanics and stuff like that but I do like that idea from Siege.exe about those combo trials. Some ways to "learn" stuff, not just a practice mode but proper teaching/learning scenarios.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yea for me it would be mostly presentation-polish which is probably not really what they want to hear. I'd like some more stage variety, even something like different times of day or conditions that affect the look of a stage that cycle through like weather that would offer more variety without them needing to make new stages outright. I keep wishing the music would get more 80s/90s Sentai vibes in there, the reworked older songs are definitely already an improvement but still sonically don't "feel" right. I have like no opinions on the actual mechanics and stuff like that but I do like that idea from Siege.exe about those combo trials. Some ways to "learn" stuff, not just a practice mode but proper teaching/learning scenarios.
I sent them my feedback. In short, I felt that character-specific tutorial and combo challenges would go a long way towards not just helping new players but even showing current ones better ways to use certain characters, because a lot of really good potential and set-ups just aren't clear for some of them, even if you experiment in the lab.

I'm an old-timer, so I also grew up spoiled by many offline extra modes of many fighting games - from Virtua Fighter 4 EVO's Quest Mode, Soul Calibur's Edge Master Mode, Street Fighter's World Tour, Killer Instinct's Shadow Lords, etc. - so even something as simple as additional Time Attack, Score Attack, or Survival Modes would go a long way towards offline longevity.

I know they're operating on a pretty tight budget, so I tried to think of the fastest, easiest ways to add content. I trust them with the rest - the on-going support and improvements for visual polish and presentation, for example, along with new and refined music. Making stages more lively was also in my feedback.

Fingers crossed.

On a related note, I know they were asking for alternate skins lately, and Ranger Slayer just got another suit in the comics that I'd say is a contender...
Drakkon-New-Dawn.jpg

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I just played this game again for the first time in a long while out in the garden yesterday and it's amazing how easy it is to get back into the flow of things. it's so well-designed and the characters feel so nice and fluid again right away.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I may have misread, but were they planning on updating some of the music? I don't expect too much because it's a smaller game, but some of it sounds really rough.