• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
So, according to Steven Hulett's blog, the PPG 2016 is listed as ending alongside Mighty Magiswords. In addition, Andy Chung, one of the show's storyboard artist, posted from his twitter account that this is his last day for his PPG 2016. So, while Steven's blog do have some errors and it is common for a staffer to leave a show, these are heavy signs that the show is likely ending.

Personally, despite being a huge fan of the original, I didn't care for the show and only watched some episodes. Unlike many, however, I didn't have the utter hatred the show got. From replacing known girls VAs to grotesque animation errors (I did see the show severely improved by S3) and use of memes, it seems the show got a fair amount of flack from fans.

One thing stands for me: how the heck do you reboot/continue a loved cartoon from the 90s, and ignore so many villains much from it? Mojo Jojo, Princess and Him apparently got a decent showing, but other villains such as Fuzzy Lumpkins, Gangreen Gang, Sedusa and the Rowdyruff Boys got the raw deal and, save for GGG, never even got a cameo.

I remember the RRBs were, and a quick search shows they still are, massively popular with the fanbase, you would think that if you wanted your show to be better received, you would try at least to include fan favorites from the old show. Even forgetting the boys, the other villains were as memorable as Him, Jojo and Princess, but didn't get a single episode. I can't think of a reboot/continuation that was so tone deaf when there was so much content from the original show.

I guess that, with PPG 2016's failure, the brand is going to be on ice for a long time. Not only that, I think any old CN IP is going to miss the usual reboot/sequel craze that is happening with Thundercats and Flintstones.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So, according to Steven Hulett's blog, the PPG 2016 is listed as ending alongside Mighty Magiswords. In addition, Andy Chung, one of the show's storyboard artist, posted from his twitter account that this is his last day for his PPG 2016. So, while Steven's blog do have some errors and it is common for a staffer to leave a show, these are heavy signs that the show is likely ending.

Personally, despite being a huge fan of the original, I didn't care for the show and only watched some shows. Unlike many, however, I didn't have the utter hatred the show got. From replacing known girls VAs to grotesque animation errors (I did see the show severely improved by S3) and use of memes, it seems the show got a fair amount of flack from fans.

One thing stands for me: how the heck do you reboot/continue a loved cartoon from the 90s, and ignore so many villains much from it? Mojo Jojo, Princess and Him apparently got a decent showing, but other villains such as Fuzzy Lumpkins, Gangreen Gang, Sedusa and the Rowdyruff Boys got the raw deal and, save for GGG, never even got a cameo.

I remember the RRBs were, and a quick search shows they still are, massively popular with the fanbase, you would think that if you wanted your show to be better received, you would try at least to include fan favorites from the old show. Even forgetting the boys, the other villains were as memorable as Him, Jojo and Princess, but didn't get a single episode. I can't think of a reboot/continuation that was so tone deaf when there was so much content from the original show.

I guess that, with PPG 2016's failure, the brand is going to be on ice for a long time. Not only that, I think any old CN IP is going to miss the usual reboot/sequel craze that is happening with Thundercats and Flintstones.

If CN owns the IP's, I'd think it's worth it for them to trot them back out under yet another reboot if only for the chance of success and the possible merchandise. I mean this is the second Thundercats reboot after the last one fizzled out, what makes you think this will prevent other CN IP's from being rebooted?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I saw a couple episodes of the reboot with my daughter on CN and it seemed to ignore everything that made the original a quality kids show.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PPG special with Nicki Minaj had a much better look and people shit on it, shame.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
All I know about the reboot was when the original VAs were acting like whiny, childish assholes when the new actresses were announced. I could see the three of them gloating on Twitter now.

Last edited:

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it wasn't very good. No disrespect to those that worked on it, I'm sure everyone put in 110%. I just don't think it should've been attempted without McCracken in some sort of role (producer, writer, etc.)

The PPG special with Nicki Minaj had a much better look and people shit on it, shame.
Yeah, it was quality and I loved that they changed it up while still keeping what made the original great in. It's what the reboot should've been like.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Saw a couple episodes of it and it did not seem to have anything good going for it except for the opening. I wouldn't be surprised if they want to end it and then bring it back after the IP rests for a little while.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good.

The directors decided to focus too much on the school or everyday aspect of the girls.
They are superheroes who loved to kick villain butt because it felt good. That's the show I wanted to watch.

Most of the villains they introduced weren't memorable or did anything noteworthy. And they kept embarrassing the girls due to their personality traits rather then empower the audience in the sense that one of these girls could be you.

I honestly don't know if the Network had a hand in the show, or if the writers were truly incompetent (hell a writer self inserted himself in the show as a fat kid that Blossom AND Princess Morebucks had a crush on throughout the show). This show was simply pissed on in so many ways. Not to mention this show was written for babies, not kids.

And then CN has the audacity to question why none of their many toys they released before the show came out wasn't selling.

OP
OP
Brickhunt

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Yeah it wasn't very good. No disrespect to those that worked on it, I'm sure everyone put in 110%. I just don't think it should've been attempted without McCracken in some sort of role (producer, writer, etc.)
To be fair, they tried to get McCracken in, but he is locked under contract with Disney. And I think he would have prefer pursuing other projects.

That said, I have nothing against other interpretations or re-imagination of an IP without the involvement of the original creator. This happens all the time in comics and some properties like TMNT and Transformers. Hell, I found the IDW Samurai Jack comic book run much better than Tartakovsky's Season 5 run (save for the first three episodes, of course)

PPG 2016 felt like a weird mix of a reboot and a sequel. It clearly was a continuation from the old show and kept the art-style at it's core, but at the same time, ignored and deliberately neglected so many things that made the original show such a classic. They should have done a total reboot and tried another art-style, like the 2012 special.

Oct 27, 2017
PPG reboot was a bureaucratic mess. It spent more time trying to tick boxes (Diversity! Memes! Empowerment!) than actually being fun or true to the series. They wrote Miss Bellum out of the show for God sake. Why? Too sexy. Honestly? She was the shadow mayor of Townsville!

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a reboot/continuation that was so tone deaf when there was so much content from the original show.

The closest thing I can think of is/was Xiaolin Chronicles which followed Xiaolin Showdown. Seemed to be mostly a sequel but had parts that were either retconned, dropped, or just nonsensical. I'm always a little sad to see a successor show be so far off the mark with what it is trying to do.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
>Green Eggs and Ham Show
>Flintstones -- ongoing (African-American cast)
>The Three Caballeros -- ongoing
>Primal (Genddy Tartokovsky)

Burying the lead here, innit?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
At Least Ace is doing great these days on his new gig

tumblr_p9ls8gyx711vp5mylo3_r1_640.gif

Cant't say the same for the rest of the cast

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Original voice cast would of been good you know stop messing with voice actors

Looking what happened to Pokémon :(

OP
OP
Brickhunt

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Original voice cast would of been good you know stop messing with voice actors

Looking what happened to Pokémon :(
Personally, I found the VAs things overblown. Maybe because I'm not attached to the character's voice, but to consistent writing. I feel that having the original VAs wouldn't have done anything to improve this show, that ahd several art and writing flaws.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
I guess a Jonny Bravo reboot is out of the question especially in the climate today regarding women objectification

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only saw bits an pieces of the reboot, but it's a real shame that it went this way. It could have been awesome for old fans and new fans alike.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never seen this reboot aside from the few online gifs. Did they ever do anything with that 4th powerpuff girl? No, the other one.

Wasn't there this pre-reboot animation too? I kinda liked the style of that honestly.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't an action show anymore, it was a lolsorandum comedy like every other fucking show on their network. That was the big problem with the reboot and CN's current and recent lineup.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Never Forget the showrunners had self insert characters

DA7RZzPXkAANVDe.jpg

Even if it was later revealed that the character was designed by his teammates as way to flatter him...it's still no ok in my book

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the original show. Tried to watch this new one, it isn't trash but it lacks everything that made the original show remarkable, the humor, the action, it was awesome.

I heard that Craig McCracken wasn't involved with this project, so I guess this is no surprise that this wasn't good.

And yeah, I missed the RowdyRuff Boys. One of my favorite characters.

Powerpuff

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who loves the original series, the reboot was more hurting than anything and won't be missed.

They even denied the touching Bunny as the 4th girl in favor of a too perfect replacement which made poor sense.
CmnqpZhWEAE7Wwd.jpg
latest

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know this will come off as blasphemy to most of you, but I've enjoyed PPG 2016 quite a bit.