• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Coming to Steam Early Access January 31st, 2019!

Praey for the Gods is a brutal journey set on a desolate frozen island, where your only chance of survival is to destroy the very gods you believe in.

In Praey for the Gods, you play a lone hero sent to the edge of a dying world to discover the mystery behind a never-ending winter. Arriving with only the clothes on your back, you must survive the colossal dangers that you encounter. To restore balance and reclaim the land from the brink, you will be faced with questions that not even a God knows the answer to.

Consoles coming later in 2019.

This release is going to be the product originally defined in the Kickstarter campaign for the game. The devs want to incorporate more of the stretch goal content into the Praey for the Gods (at least one more boss, additional puzzles, longer finale, etc.) before the proper release on PC and consoles.

Initial PC Release
Our plan is to release into Early Access with all the game content we achieved in our Kickstarter campaign. This means the 5 bosses are done and fully playable, along with cutscenes, open world exploration, minions, puzzles, and all the additional Kickstarter Backer Content. It's a fully playable game that is exactly what you backed us for when we started on this journey. However, we love working on this game and our engine and tools have come leaps and bounds since we started development. This is allowing us to develop faster and better and it feels silly to stop development on the game when we've just hit our stride. While Chien is working on getting the game further optimized and certified for PS4/Xbox One, Tim and I will add what additional stretch goal content we can prior to a final launch on consoles. We found this to be a win/win for both PC backers and console backers as PC backers will get the game as well as additional content over time and console backers will have some fresh content and a somewhat spoiler free conclusion to the game.

What additional stretch goal content would we be planning?
To be clear, additional content would depend on the sales we get when we launch on PC. However, we'd like at least one more boss, flesh out crafting, add more puzzles, have a perma-death mode as an option, and a bit bigger final conclusion to the game. Honestly, I like to think of it like an epilogue at the end of a book.
We want to reiterate the stuff you backed will be available at launch. We're simply initially releasing into Early Access to see if we can add more content before we launch on consoles. Yes, we could do a big ol' super duper day one launch but let's be honest we're 3 people and that kind of stuff terrifies us. We'd rather release newer content in waves, continue to expand our community and listen to your feedback along the way. We felt Early Access fits this approach and we watched our friends on Grim Dawn and Subnautica create fantastic games using this development method. We like the consistent development we've been doing since Closed Alpha and going this route feels like the proper next step.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Hey, it's finally coming out.

Will check it out if impressions are solid.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Nice SOTC style game, this Praeaey for the gods.
Trailer looks better than what they've shown previously.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Praey for the Gods is a brutal journey set on a desolate frozen island, where your only chance of survival is to destroy the very gods you believe in.

In Praey for the Gods, you play a lone hero sent to the edge of a dying world to discover the mystery behind a never-ending winter.
The Midwestern United States circa January 2019?

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Not a big fan of the generic artstyle, but the game looks interesting.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Will give it a go if the early access isn't unplayable. SOTC PS4 didn't give me my SOTC fix since it was sadly the same game, speaking of, if this game is just SOTC: indie edition that will be a problem too, we need new Colossi fights.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I remember thinking the game was very unoriginal when revealed, seemingly just riffing on SotC. Now it seems to be more similar to TLoZ: BotW. Hopefully it's good and brings something unique to the table.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Been following it since the beginning, and this will probably end up being my first Early Access game. Lets gooooooooooo :D

(the actual label means fuck all at this point but still)

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
A game that takes place in perpetual winter but the character is dressed for spring.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Just saw this trailer this morning. It's this kind of stuff that makes me want to be a PC gamer.

It'd be good if console manufacturers had some sort of early access. There's loads of great looking games in Early Access that I think console gamers would love.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
that ae in the name is so ugly - was that actually because of copyright stuff with prey?

anyway, i'd love a spiritual sequel to SOTC, and i hope this delivers.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
that ae in the name is so ugly - was that actually because of copyright stuff with prey?

Yes. No Matter Studios had to change the name but they were allowed to keep their existing logo with the original spelling.

It'd be good if console manufacturers had some sort of early access. There's loads of great looking games in Early Access that I think console gamers would love.

Game Preview is just that on Xbox One.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Newsletter #15
https://www.praeyforthegods.com/praey-for-the-gods-newsletter-15/

Hello to all of our backers and newsletter readers!

Praey for the Gods ships to Early Access on Windows/Steam TODAY January 31st 2019!

This is the first stage of release for our game, Praey for the Gods. It's been a dream getting to work on Praey for the Gods thus far. We really can't thank you enough for believing in us and supporting us for so long.

climbglideswim_ending.gif

All images © 2019 - No Matter Studios, LLC

WHERE IS MY KEY?!

Steam keys will be sent out by Humble Bundle today (January 31st 2019) to our Windows/Steam backers. You will receive an email from them right around the time the game goes live on Steam Early Access. They've been assisting us with Steam key distribution which has been a a huge help for us and we honestly can't thank them enough!

Humble Bundle will be your main point of contact for any issues that might happen with receiving your game key.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your rewards, please reach out to Humble Support.

Soundtrack is available for purchase...seriously it's awesome

soundtrack.jpg

The Praey for the Gods Original Soundtrack is available for purchase today on our Steam page.
If you missed the chance to pick it up we highly recommend getting it now. Currently, there are 26 tracks with a total of 54 minutes of music. Our plan is to add more tracks while we're in Early Access. Ian Dorsch is our long time friend and the composer of the soundtrack.

We hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Click Here to check it out;)

Digital Items/Tier Rewards Keys:

We'll also be sending out Steam keys for the elite grappling hook, outfits, pouch, soundtrack, wolf skin and pets that certain tier backers will receive.
These items are not necessary to play the game and are merely a fun way to say thank you to those that wanted to back for more and assist in our development.
We'll look to create ways for all players to access versions of these assets in game at a later date but for now they are specific to those backer tiers.

Here are some images of those higher tiered items:

outfits-577x1024.jpg

So what's next!?

Rest?! Hahahahaha NOPE! We'll be even more heads down. First, we'll pour over new feedback we receive from our new players, identify any outstanding issues that crop up, and prioritize that against our future tasks. Basically, we'll ride the crazy that happens during a launch of a game. After that, we plan to jump into some new features and content we've been looking to work on for some time. (we'll share those in the next update!)

Outside of those updates we're incredibly excited to release Praey for the Gods into Early Access and can't wait to hear what you think!

Launches are crazy!

Launches are pretty stressful for large companies let alone for a tiny team of three. We are doing our best and thankfully have a great team of mods that can answer additional questions on our Discord. I'd highly recommend reaching out to us on our Discord to get information during our initial launch.

https://discord.gg/praeyforthegods

Thank you again for your support
No Matter Studios

Exclusive Desktop Background
Until our next update, here's an exclusive desktop background for our backers and newsletter readers / All images © 2019 - No Matter Studios, LLC

(WARNING SPOILERS) Click here to watch our Early Access Launch trailer you can see it here

Get in touch

@PraeyForTheGods
@brianjparnell
@timjwiese
facebook.com/praeyforthegods
discord.gg/praeyforthegods

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Game is live on Steam. I'm very interested, but I'd like to see what people think before picking this up.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Impressions would be nice. Really interested in this game...

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck that first boss. Both the reveal and the fight itself were pretty dang intense. There's a few ways to approach it; simple enough to grasp, but also just obscure enough you'll feel rewarded for figuring them out. Similarly so with the systems and survival elements: They present themselves with obvious cues that, as someone who's admittedly not done this sort of thing often, I began to figure out why I was dying anyway and how best to try and mitigate that.

Performance is a bit hit and miss, but aside of it being Unity, I'm currently running this on an ageing GE62 laptop, so that's as much on my hardware as it is the software.

Still, my first impression? I like it.

To describe the boss a bit though, it's like
They combined the first and second bosses of Shadow of the Colossus, and then made it feel like it was the fucking god of death

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait this ISN'T new expansion DLC for the megahit space shoot bang immersive sim?

I'm sO cOnFuSeD!!1 wut did I back????

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so, while the game has been in development since before Breath of the Wild's release, I think it's fair to say that it has nevertheless allowed that game's influence to seep in to how it executes on and presents various overlapping systems.

And you know what? I'm honestly for it.

Like, the moment this became obvious to me was with the weapon durability. This is not something original to Breath of the Wild as a concept, but putting a decided emphasis on just how brittle the weapons are, with them basically exploding on the last hit? That's very BOTW, but it fits this cold, desolate landscape. Add in the paragliding, the ability to climb a variety of suitable surfaces - certainly, most cliffsides - and needing to rest by a fire as to best eat food and recover from the harsh environment, and certainly, this does begin to scratch a similar itch. But again, fits this cold, desolate landscape. It is very much a world where you've gotta scrape together every loose berry, arrow, and cobbled together bit of sticks you might vaguely call a weapon in order to survive. It sells you on this game's world very quickly, very easily.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit

Is definetly a shadow of colossus mixed with Breath of the Wild. Game is fucking awesome!! Performance could be better.

And it is being made by 3 fucking people. Game really is amazing

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished downloading the game now. Unfortunately, I'm still in class so I have to wait a couple of hours till I can try it out.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I gave this a brief play last night. The world and atmosphere is pretty well done, and the first boss reveal / design is incredible.

A few negatives: The movement and animation feels really janky, but I'm hoping that is polished for final release. The camera controls on controller feel a bit weird and floaty. And the biggest thing for me is the fact this is essentially a SotC clone from what I've played so far, down to the mechanics used to "defeat" a boss as well as marking them off a list in a main hub. I'm not sure what I expected tbf but I was hoping for more of a unique take on this style of game. Will reserve judgement till I've played further.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I gave this a brief play last night. The world and atmosphere is pretty well done, and the first boss reveal / design is incredible.

A few negatives: The movement and animation feels really janky, but I'm hoping that is polished for final release. The camera controls on controller feel a bit weird and floaty. And the biggest thing for me is the fact this is essentially a SotC clone from what I've played so far, down to the mechanics used to "defeat" a boss as well as marking them off a list in a main hub. I'm not sure what I expected tbf but I was hoping for more of a unique take on this style of game. Will reserve judgement till I've played further.
Ah yes. But they said they will be staying in EA for at least a year because they want to polish animations and other junk, add more bosses and enemies and general content.

So maybe is a good ideia to just wait

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes. But they said they will be staying in EA for at least a year because they want to polish animations and other junk, add more bosses and enemies and general content.

So maybe is a good ideia to just wait

Yeah I appreciate it's in EA so I'm more than happy to wait, just wanted to point that out.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I backed this but got a PS4 key so it'll still be a while before I get to play. I'm sooo excited though! Honestly surprised that SotC didn't inspire more clones, and with all the focus on scale and climbing it's head-scratching that not a single boss in BotW utilized this gameplay. Glad to hear the impressions so far, sounds awesome! :D

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Took me a while to find this thread because I was searching "Prey". It's spelled Prey in the trailer and on Twitch so I thought that was the title and not "Praey". Did they have to change it for legal reasons or something?

Was hoping to read some impressions so looking forward to more of them.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Took me a while to find this thread because I was searching "Prey". It's spelled Prey in the trailer and on Twitch so I thought that was the title and not "Praey". Did they have to change it for legal reasons or something?

Yes, Bethesda came after them because of Prey. The devs were allowed to keep "Prey" in their existing logo but had to refer to the game as Praey from then on.