Pre-E3 Technical Update (Server Upgrade, DayEra/NightEra Fixes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Major Server Upgrade

Earlier this week we informed you all that we intended to perform a major server upgrade in preparation for E3. Despite complications in the process, we are pleased to report that our server technicians have successfully put the finishing touches on their work. We are now officially up and running on the new architecture! We'd like to congratulate the team on completing what has been a months long project and implementing it without significant downtime.

DayEra / NightEra

Today we are also releasing a separate minor point update to the new DayEra and NightEra themes. In response to the most common point of criticism, the colors on NightEra have been adjusted for more comfortable viewing, and a lot of work has been done under the hood to improve efficiency. Aside from that, this is largely a stability and bug fix update.

Here are some highlights of these fixes:
  • Significant amounts of code rewritten for greater efficiency
  • Made the visibility between read/unread threads more apparent
  • Post text should no longer arbitrarily cut off
  • Youtube embeds now properly activate on full screen
  • Twitter/Youtube profile icons should now be visible on DayEra
  • Better visibility for theme switching button
  • Buttons should no longer have gradient on mobile
  • Colors are more streamlined on NightEra
  • Fixed styling for Verified user tags
We'd like to thank both teams for their hard work as we continue our march towards E3.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hey is this a thing that happens to other people but when I go to a thread YouTube thumbnails will show up but when I start scrolling they all go black and have to reload

Is that what this refers to

• Youtube embeds now properly activate on full screen

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on finishing the update. Here's hoping everything works smoothly during the apocalypse later this month.

Oct 25, 2017
Has the update to NightEra been applied because to me the colours are still hella harsh and intense.

Dark Theme legacy will always be around right?

Oct 25, 2017
NightEra still looks a bit bright but it is better than before, might take a while to get used to it, might jump from Dark

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Why not have the symbols that we already have to distingush from read/unread? It's still hard for me to see the difference in the new designs.

Oct 25, 2017
UK
psnprofiles.com
Has the update to NightEra been applied because to me the colours are still hella harsh and intense.

The colours look the same to me as well

Is the width issue seriously not going to be addressed? Maybe for 2.0?

Oh well, as long as LightEra still works it's not the end of the world

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see if the forum will be able to handle its first major stress test.

I'm not sure if NeoGAF always died because the traffic was really that intense, or because the site's owner was just super-cheap about upgrading servers and software.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate your work everyone, even when it goes unseen.

With NightEra and DayEra, the transparency the transparency in avatars is still a little funky. Looks like they have a border in DayEra: is this a design choice?

jem

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much better on Android with small scaling!
Is it?

Still looks like this for me...

Edit: Looking back at my previous posts this is actually a slight improvement, however, it's still obviously not at all ideal.

Can we please just have an option to specify mobile vs tablet vs desktop theme? That would solve all the issues...

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
one issue i have with night era on mobile is the position of the forum jump button just above the keyboard. see screenshot below. it's quite easy to accidentally press these and lose the post you've been typing up. is this in the pipeline to be changed?

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NightEra looks a lot better now colour wise but I'm not sure why there's so much unused space on the page. Will stick with DarkEra for a while longer.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
The colours look the same to me as well

Is the width issue seriously not going to be addressed? Maybe for 2.0?

Oh well, as long as LightEra still works it's not the end of the world
We believe we have a solution for everyone on the width issue, but we're saving that for 1.5 to run more tests and ensure stability.

Appreciate your work everyone, even when it goes unseen.

With NightEra and DayEra, the transparency the transparency in avatars is still a little funky. Looks like they have a border in DayEra: is this a design choice?
That is a design choice.

For as long as DayEra/NightEra are around.

Oct 25, 2017
UK
psnprofiles.com
We believe we have a solution for everyone on the width issue, but we're saving that for 1.5 to run more tests and ensure stability.
Thanks!

I've gone back and forth a lot using both Day and Light and while I'm still using Light, the width issue is the only thing I don't think I can get over, so happy to hear a solution is in the works

Keep up the good work

Oct 27, 2017
Night Era purple is still too eye searing for me. I don't notice any difference from before.

Back to DarkEra Legacy I go.

jem

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That is a design choice.

For as long as DayEra/NightEra are around.
Is the incorrect site design selection (ie: mobile vs tablet vs desktop sites) being looked at?

It's been an problem since the site was launched for me and I'm kind of sick of having almost half the screen being taken up by avatars and margins on my phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.