Pre-E3 Technical Update (Server Upgrade, DayEra/NightEra Fixes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I still prefer legacy personally. I can see more posts on the screen. I prefer the text stretched more horizontally rather than all this empty space on the sides.

Oct 27, 2017
Night era is still too bright. It should sort of blend with the black like night era but instead it pops out to much and grabs your attention which kinda defeats the whole point of a night theme

Will be sticking with legacy

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I don't see the purple difference either. Is it just that subtle? I'd still like the old purple back if possible to be entirely honest.

Also, this might be old, I just switched to the new theme again and I didn't notice it before, but the dots under the time stamps on posts really don't seem to like it that I'm using some slight zoom. I understand that the zoom's on me, but is there anything that could be done about that? I honestly think things would look cleaner without the dots anyway though. But it looks like this for me at 110 percent:

edit: I just noticed that this is also applied on threads, except some have the dots and some don't. Weird.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been here since pretty much the start and I just want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to be part of this and give props to everyone involved in running the site doing such an amazing job.

Looking forward to E3 with y'all!

Oct 28, 2017
I think I can get used to new night era now.

Why that shade of purple still though? I like the color scheme of the dark era more. Also not a fan of gradients.
Pretty much what I feel. Fix the margins, maybe add a user toggle for Bold/Unbold Thread titles and stick to one solid shade of purple (the legacy skin purple is *perfect* for the Day Skin) and I wouldnt have many complaints. Maybe add a setting to disable the kind of distracting mobile quick key for top/end of page

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I checked to see if NightEra still crashes my browser on mobile, and yep it does. Two other people reported the same problem in the bug report thread, any kind of ETA on that?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the purple difference either. Is it just that subtle? I'd still like the old purple back if possible to be entirely honest.

Also, this might be old, I just switched to the new theme again and I didn't notice it before, but the dots under the time stamps on posts really don't seem to like it that I'm using some slight zoom. I understand that the zoom's on me, but is there anything that could be done about that? I honestly think things would look cleaner without the dots anyway though. But it looks like this for me at 110 percent:

I guess it has something to do with the "X minutes ago" messages being links? I have no idea why they're even links in the first place... all they seem to do is highlight the post you click and center the screen. It's the same on the legacy theme, totally pointless.

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah... NightEra still feels like someone is trying to actively gouge out my eyes.

The layout is... okay. It's honestly just the colors still that make it an automatic avoid in my book.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
The favicon's continued use of the old purple is a pretty cruel reminder when you're using the new themes. Haha.

I'm zooming in because of how small avatars are using the new themes by the way. Still really hoping those become bigger again, there's plenty of space. :(

I guess it has something to do with the "X minutes ago" messages being links? I have no idea why they're even links in the first place... all they seem to do is highlight the post you click and center the screen. It's the same on the legacy theme, totally pointless.
It's definitely an indicator that they're links, but on the other hand other links on the site don't look like that so I'm not sure why the time indicators would be an exception. I think it's rather weird looking this way.

Oct 25, 2017
The font is still too big on landscape mode, but I'll switch over... FOR NOW *gun emoji*

I still don't get why spoiler is hidden behind the plus while font stuff no one ever uses is surfaced for everyone.

EDIT:
God threads with new posts really need some kind of indicator other than the bold.

Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves me it is an issue caused by certain keyboards that have swipe typing. As far as I know SwiftKey is the only one who currently has patched the issue. I swapped over to them a few months ago. None of the others have fixed it so far. This is a problem with the actual keyboard code and the browser, not with ResetEra. So I'd recommend swapping to SwiftKey to fix that problem.
Thanks for the tip!

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Oct 27, 2017
Nice job, but still in love with the legacy darkera. I getting everytime log out just a few minutes I log in...

NightEra still too strong on the eyes unfortunaly - background too dark, purple parts too bright. Read/unread threads still hard to follow (on desktop) - maybe in addition to being non-bold read threads could get a slightly darker font color. But an "unread icon" would still feel better.

And DarkEra's color scheme is so gentle on the eyes, why get rid of it?

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Can we get screenshots of what the colours on NightEra are supposed to look like? Because it looks like the same 100% high saturation purple to me.

And I'm not exaggerating, it's 100% saturation.

Oct 25, 2017
DarkERA is closer, but still way too harsh on the colors, and too much empty space.

I'm happy to see the continual improvements, however.

Edit: Or maybe my memory is bad and the colors haven't changed like mentioned above?

I'm sorry to say that I also prefer the legacy themes. I hope you're not planning on removing them.

Some specific feedback on the Day/Night themes:
- I don't like the huge margins. I prefer a full page layout for a forum.
- The super-saturated purple is really distracting, especially given the (relatively) giant header.
- Animated transitions all over the place. I get it, it's cool, but it makes the page feel less responsive. A UI should feel snappy.
- On a similar note, various things are now hidden until you hover. Just leave everything visible, even if it makes the page messy.

Perhaps you could provide some customization options for the new themes? :)

Oct 25, 2017
Providence / Boston
Is there any fix for people such as myself who keep having the mobile version of NightEra forced on them on a laptop?

It's likely because i'm on a Surface but this never happened with original themes.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The margins and contrast are killing me so much, this is on a vertical monitor.

Look at how many posts fit on screen compared to the Darkera, look how much easier the text is to read because its not so fucking contrasty.

Also why on earth are the nav buttons not also on the bottom in DarkEra? It makes sense for mobile since they are ever present, but why are they missing from the desktop version?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
An option to disable the nav bar and scroll bar on the new themes would be nice on mobile. I don't mind the colour scheme but those two things take up too much of the screen, at least on my phone.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this is to do with the server upgrade, but I'm having problems with some posts just not loading. There will be a large gap between two posts and looking at the numbering you can see it's supposed to be filled. So there will be post #22 - a large gap - and then post #25. A reload seems to usually fix it.

Oct 25, 2017
hey folks if you have a browser that supports a stylish-like extension and want the themes to fill your browser width:

Code:
.pageWidth {
    max-width: none;
    width: 98vw;
}
happy birthday

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely an indicator that they're links, but on the other hand other links on the site don't look like that so I'm not sure why the time indicators would be an exception. I think it's rather weird looking this way.
Yeah I guess what I'm suggesting is to make it so they aren't links at all. Though I don't know if they're using some kind of software that would even enable this. Not a big deal anyway, just odd.

Poodlestrike

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NightEra colors are a lot better, but... that layout, I dunno. All the posts concentrated in the middle of the screen, giant navigation bar across the bottom. I'll probably switch over on mobile, but it's pretty bad on desktop.

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just keep the purple from the DarkEra theme? The purple from NightEra is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too bright and is still not using the full screen estate. I'll just stick to DarkEra.

Oct 27, 2017
Great news, especially with E3 around the corner.

I really want to start using the new theme because I like how it’s oriented - but! Is there a reason the colors don’t match the Dark Era theme? Everything looks hyper saturated on the iPhone X at least.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I get that some still dislike the color(i do too, needs to be more muted), but the width is better, makes it far easier to read.

Oct 27, 2017
Can I get a gold and grey theme? Like with the current legacy grey theme, all you have to do is change all of the purple bits to a light gold. And it will be perfect.

Please save me from this purple and grey combo that makes no aesthetic sense and is just kind of depressing. The Gods will reward you.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I get that some still dislike the color(i do too, needs to be more muted), but the width is better, makes it far easier to read.
I have learned to appreciate the desktop width too, yeah. Still, if possible it'd be nice to offer folks the option to have the new themes fill their screens.

Oct 25, 2017
Still too bright purple for me, and still a lot of space... still sticking darkera, but I'm glad you guys are still working on it.

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't take NightEra purple.

I always thought you guys hit it out of the park with DarkEra color scheme first try, and I still feel that way. I'll be sticking with that unless a drastic color change occurs to NightEra to make it less radioactive.

As usual, thanks for putting in so much hard work for us thankless users!

Status
Not open for further replies.