• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
This is very funny to me.

Did Hollywood actors voice anime before they were famous?

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
This is very funny to me.

Did Hollywood actors voice anime before they were famous?

Plenty of Hollywood actors have voiced characters in Ghibli films after becoming famous. Liam Neeson, Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, and Tina Fey were all in Ponyo.

Also, Bale was already famous at this point; he'd done American Psycho.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Disney used to dub and distribute Ghibli films and treated them much like their own animated films when it came to casting.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Bryan Cranston did some anime voice work, but it's hard to find what exactly he was credited for last time I checked

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough, the first time the Bale Batman voice appeared was in Howl.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, echoing what others have said, Disney did the dubs for most of the Studio Ghibli films, and they went all out with them.

(Similarly, they also went all out with Kingdom Hearts. Them getting Mark Hamil and Leonard Nimoy for a PSP game was amazing)

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I like how this thread is based on the premise that Christian Bale wasn't a well known actor before Batman Begins.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Howl's Moving Castle came out in 2006 in the US.
If you want to somehow argue Christian Bale wasn't famous before Batman, that still wouldn't hold up.

Edit - Oh, it actually came out a few days before Batman.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I know it isn't entirely in the spirit of the topic, but I enjoy seeing the bts stuff of the big name hollywood folk providing v/o for my favourite anime films.

I certainly recognised Patrick Stewart in Nausicaa, but I didn't realise Uma Thurman etc were in it.