• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Because apparently everyone is trying to get in on this today :P

The general format of entries is the same as last year, you're picking the movies releasing in the 2019 calendar year that will have the 5 highest domestic grosses (their runs can spill over into 2020 and still count) and rank them according to gross (no need to provide the actual numbers, but you can if you'd like). The scoring will be a little different this year, though. You still get 1 point for having the correct movies on the list at all. This is where it'll differ: If you get the #1 movie in the correct spot, it's worth 5 bonus points. Any other movie in the correct spot is worth 3 bonus points. And for every rank each of those movies is off, you lose a bonus point. So for example, putting the 1st place movie in 4th is worth 2 bonus points. Putting the 5th place movie in 3rd is worth 1 bonus point. And outside of first place, any movie more than 2 spots off doesn't get you any bonus points.

Now for the prizes. First place will be the same as last year, a $50 gift card to the gaming store of your choice (PSN, XBL, Epic Game Store, EShop, Steam, etc.). For this year, we're gonna have second and third place prizes as well. For second place, thanks to kswiston a $25 gift card to the store of your choice, and for third place thanks to berzeli a collection of various game keys (and a promise that not all of them will be trash). If anyone else wants to contribute towards the prizes, PM me.

Entries will be allowed until 1AM GMT on Monday, January 28, 2019 (which should be 8PM Eastern time on Sunday, January 27, 2019). Good luck everyone, and have fun.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
1. The lion king
2. Avengers Endgame
3. Frozen 2
4. Toy Story 4
5. Star Wars episode IX

Honourable mentions
Aladdin, Spiderman, detective Pikachu, Dumbo

Edit, changed my mind again. Decided to bump Star Wars down the list after the mixed reception for TLJ.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
1. Star Wars 9
2. Lion King
3. Avengers Endgame
4. Frozen 2
5. Toy Story 4

Too easy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why....is almost no one including Frozen 2? Do ya'll forget how massive that movie has become amongst young girls?

There is no way Pikachu, Aladdin, Cap Marvel, or Spider-Man are going to outgross Frozen 2.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
  1. The lion king
  2. Frozen 2
  3. Avengers end game
  4. Star Wars episode 9
  5. Detective pikachu (dark horse pick!)

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Why....is almost no one including Frozen 2? Do ya'll forget how massive that movie has become amongst young girls?

There is no way Pikachu, Aladdin, Cap Marvel, or Spider-Man are going to outgross Frozen 2.

Totally agreed. My list is the most logical. Captain Marvel presales are super low and when you consider Lion King and Toy Story are the same year as the rest, CM, Pikachu and Spider-Man won't make the top 5.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
#1 Avengers Endgame
#2 Lion King
#3 Star Wars Episode 9
#4 Frozen 2
#5 Toy Story 4

The Disney show. That I'm leaving off Pikachu, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man and more tells you it's gonna be a massive year.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
1) Avengers Endgame
2) The Lion King
3) Frozen 2
4) Star Wars Episode 9
5) Toy Story 4

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
#1 Avengers Endgame
#2 Lion King
#3 Star Wars Episode 9
#4 Frozen 2
#5 Toy Story 4

The Disney show.

You and I are likely the closest in what the order will be. The top 3 are all unpredictable in their staying power but they're definitely the top 3 and Frozen 2 will make more than Toy Story.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
1. Frozen 2 (no doubt given how big the brand is)
2. Avengers: End Game
3. Jumanji 3
4. Star Wars Episode IX
5. Hobbs and Shaw (not much of a fan of the F&F franchise, but this has been pretty consistent on how much money this makes; can't go wrong with the Rock and Jason Statham starring roles).

I feel pretty guilt-ridden about not including Captain Marvel, but sheesh keep in mind the last Jumanji film was an unexpected huge hit, not to mention the appeal to those other films I mention.

So I will at least consider Carol Danvers an honorable number 6. Hope I'm wrong though, plus would be surprising if Detective Pickachu or Sonic (doubtful, not even by a long shot) turned out to be darkhorse hits, like Venom before them.

Update: Took Secret Life is Pets 2 off and replaced it with Hobbs and Shaw.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Frozen 2 (no doubt given how big the brand is)
2. Avengers: End Game
3. Jumanji 3
4. Star Wars Episode IX
5. Secret Life of Pets 2 (yeah it's Illumination; divisive and all, but these films manage to rake in a lot of dough).

I feel pretty guilt-ridden about not including Captain Marvel, but sheesh keep in mind the last Jumanji film was an unexpected huge hit, not to mention the appeal to those other films I mention.

So I will at least consider Carol Danvers and honorable number 6.
I give you props for going really unique here lol. Secret Life of Pets over Toy Story and Lion King

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My top 5:
1. Avengers
2. Lion King
3. Star Wars
4. Frozen
5. Toy Story

All 5 do over 400 mil domestic.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Last Jedi was massive at the box office. And the best selling Blu-ray of the year too beating Avengers and Black Panther. So not sure what you are getting at here.
Not doubting it is going to huge but it has some baggage which some of the other high profiles don't. I have Star Wars at #4

TheChamp

Abused the Buy/Sell/Trade thread
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Avengers Endgame
2. Star Wars Episode IX
3. Lion King
4. Frozen 2
5. Toy Story 4

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
#1 Avengers Endgame
#2 Lion King
#3 Star Wars Episode 9
#4 Frozen 2
#5 Toy Story 4

The Disney show. That I'm leaving off Pikachu, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man and more tells you it's gonna be a massive year.

This is the correct answer and what I'm going with too.

Edit: though the top 3 order could go any way as I think all 3 are doing $600m+.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Alright, let's do this:

1) Lion King
2) Avengers
3) Star Wars
4) Frozen 2
5) Detective Pikachu

Some risky bets in here, especially Pikachu ahead of Toy Story but hey, it's not fun otherwise.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Avengers Endgame
  2. Frozen 2
  3. Star Wars Episode IX
  4. Lion King
  5. Toy Story 4
I mean... it almost feels too easy to predict this year. Only real question is gonna be the order of the top 5 movies rather than which movies they'll be.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
1. Avengers: Endgame
2. Star Wars Episode 9
3. Frozen 2
4. Lion King
5. Toy Story 4

There are so many big movies coming out this year that it makes it actually super hard to predict. This feels like the safe 5, though, and unless one of them is absolutely terrible, they are all gonna make a ton of money.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I can't believe all the Pikachu picks...that will be this year's Ready Player One. (in that it has no chance to be top 5, not that its gross will be as modest as RPO)

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers
Star Wars
Lion King
Frozen 2
Detective Pikachu

For domestic.

Next up would be Toy Story, Captain Marvel, Spidey and Aladdin. Avatar isn't this year, right?

Oct 25, 2017
The people that doubt on Detective Pikachu amuse me.

Pokemon is a huge multimedia franchise with wide appeal to several age groups. Shit'll be huge.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

God dammit, I forgot that was this year...thank you editing now. Trickier than I thought.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
#1 Avengers Endgame
#2 Lion King
#3 Star Wars Episode 9
#4 Frozen 2
#5 Toy Story 4

Samesies but I think Lion King will edge Avengers.

Oct 25, 2017
1. Lion King
2. Avengers Endgame
3. Episode 9
4. Frozen 2
5. Toy Story 4

Dark Horse - Detective Pikachu. Have no idea what the floor or ceiling for it are, what the reviews will be like, if the stigma for video game movies exists for Pokemon, etc