• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna enter mine in, and then possibly edit after potential superbowl trailers.

1) Avengers: Endgame
2) Frozen 2
3) The Lion King
4) Star Wars: Episode IX
5) Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

Avenger's was the biggest film of last year and left on one mighty cliffhanger, everyone is likely going to want to see how it ends.

Frozen 2 has very little competition at christmas in family films and animated films (Although there's a Chris Sanders film listed being done by Fox, there's a chance it could move), Frozen is the animated movie of the decade, so it's sequel will also do well. It will also continue to do well into the christmas season as well.

Like it or not, the remakes make bank (Beauty and the Beast did like 1.7 Million?), and Lion King is arguably the most popular of the renaissance films.

Star Wars: Episode 8 was, despite being really really good, a controversial movie online. And Solo shows that the Star Wars series isn't invincible. The trilogy ender will probably do really well though, and the audience enjoyed 8 so this should do great as well. Any other year it would be vying for number 1.

Realistically, I think it'll be Toy Story 4 would be finishing 5th. But what's the fun in the being predictable when you can throw in a wild card, and they don't get any wilder than Pokemon Detective Pikachu. This is either going to do really well, or really badly, don't think there's any inbetween on this one. It's got a heck of a lot of youtube views, let's see if those views translate into seats in the cinema. I hope this one does well.

Well I picked the Wild Card and boy did it miss.

Glad I didn't go for Toy Story 4 though, as it's probably going to be 6th-7th overall, maybe 8th. A Certain Spiderman that was Far From Home came and blindsided pretty much everyones list.

tenor.gif

1. Avengers: Endgame $2,797,800,564
2. The Lion King $1,655,955,981
3. Spider-Man: Far From Home $1,131,928,519
4. Captain Marvel $1,128,274,794
5. Toy Story 4 $1,073,366,308

Currently keep eyes on, Frozen II and Star Wars. Unless Jumanji overperforms (And it looks like that's going to come under the original) they'll be making the Top 5.

Joker might also knock off Toy Story as well. Won't make Top 5 overall but who'd have seen that coming. I'm glad I at least mentioned it would catch people by surprise earlier on.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
KillstealWolf TS4 will be 5th as this was just domestic/NA.

Ah, ok. Maybe this is why I never do well in these charts, I do global instead of Domestic. Here's Domestic.

1 Avengers: Endgame $858,373,000
2 The Lion King $543,610,567
3 Toy Story 4 $434,016,296
4 Captain Marvel $426,829,839
5 Spider-Man: Far From Home $390,532,085

Joker is at $327,701,522 Domestic so I don't think it will make it at this point. Frozen 2 and TROS are the ones to watch (I still hold my opinion on Jumanji)

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
  1. The Avengers: End Game
  2. Star Wars: Episode IX
  3. The Lion King
  4. Toy Story 4
  5. Frozen 2
Biggest potential wild cards I think is Jumanji 3 and the Joker movie.

So right now it's looking like the one thing I didn't anticipate was Captain Marvel performing the way it did. Still holding out for Frozen 2 to edge past it because then I would've had all 5 on the money because Rise of the Skywalker is definitely going to beat Lion King.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
For me it's:

1. The Lion King
I just think this going to be absolutely mammoth for Disney. One of the most memorable childhood films, the huge success of the other live-action films, plus almighty viewing figures for the first trailer. Word of Mouth post this releasing will be huge too.

2. Avengers Endgame
Whilst my head wants this to be number one, and for it to outgross Avatar and become the highest grossing film ever(i know, i know) it's unlikely to happen. This is still going to be huge and i expect it to hit $2 Billion, but it's hard to factor in it only releasing a year after the last avengers film and i think there is generally a drop off in two part films, although the MCU is obviously a juggernaut. Plus it has to conted with several films(pikachu included) cutting into it's revenue a month after launch. I want it to be first.

3. Star Wars Episode 9
It's mainline Star Wars, Solo just paid the price for being too soon after TLJ. It'll make mega money. Not much else to say.

4. Frozen 2
It's Frozen 2. Any other year this would win by a clear difference. Anticipation will be huge.

5. Detective Pikachu
Close between this and Toy Story 4, but i think the WOM and marketing for this film will push it past TS4. This film will have massive legs, and internationally huge. Plus, Ryan Reynolds is a pretty big draw i think.
Massively underestimated Avengers and overestimated Pikachu, but 4/5 in the wrong order isn't so bad.

A 5 way tie for the winners; The Tiebreaker announced
OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
So in the end, it looks like the final order is:

1. Avengers: Endgame
  2. The Lion King
  3. Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
  4. Frozen 2
  5. Toy Story 4
And it turns out 5 people guessed that exact order this year: Congrats to Cheebo Ithil CreepingFear freshlysqueezed and one deleted but beloved member that I still have access to.

Which means I get to pick a tiebreaker movie that you all have to guess the opening weekend of. And that movie is...…..

Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn.

To prevent Price is Right style shenanigans, the OW predictions are gonna be private (you'll have to PM them to me for them to count). You're looking for greatest absolute difference, so don't be worried about going over. If there's a tie even after that, you'll have to pick Sonic The Hedgehog the next weekend. These predictions are due by 12:01AM the Thursday of BoP's opening weekend (so Thursday, February 6, 2020). Good luck everyone!

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
So in the end, it looks like the final order is:

1. Avengers: Endgame
  2. The Lion King
  3. Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
  4. Frozen 2
  5. Toy Story 4
And it turns out 5 people guessed that exact order this year: Congrats to Cheebo Ithil CreepingFear freshlysqueezed and one deleted but beloved member that I still have access to.

Which means I get to pick a tiebreaker movie that you all have to guess the opening weekend of. And that movie is...…..

Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn.

To prevent Price is Right style shenanigans, the OW predictions are gonna be private (you'll have to PM them to me for them to count). You're looking for greatest absolute difference, so don't be worried about going over. If there's a tie even after that, you'll have to pick Sonic The Hedgehog the next weekend. These predictions are due by 12:01AM the Thursday of BoP's opening weekend (so Thursday, February 6, 2020). Good luck everyone!

Darn does my post #32 not count?

Also, thanks for doing this! Is there a 2020 one? That's going to be really though.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man an all Disney Lockout overall, and I would have gone with it as well had I not wished to roll the dice and take a risk (That endly poorly)

Well I got order wrong anyway. Gonna start researching for 2020 so I can also lose that one.

OP
OP
hodayathink

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
So the guesses were:

Cheebo - $54M
Dearly departed member - $55M
FTF and freshlysqueezed - $55.5M
Ithil - $62M

So Cheebo wins, and we now have a tie for third (for the chance to win some keys). If either of the two of you want it, I need a Sonic OW number by 12:01AM Thursday.