• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Era thinks that only a super powerful console (PS4/XBox One) or a genius new design (Switch) can sell in this industry.

All three of these consoles have an extremely high barrier to entry when it comes to hardware costs and games.

I sold video game systems at Best Buy when I was younger and console hardware costs and generation turnover were a HUGE issue for parents buying a console for their kids. I always got the same question... "If I buy this 200-300 system with these $60 games will they release a new one soon and make it obsolete?"

If Google announces a sub $100 streaming console tomorrow with a $15-$20 monthly subscription this entire barrier to entry disappears.

I was a project stream beta tester and it worked flawlessly with my 50 down/5 up mbps internet connection so I have zero concerns about connection issues. Yes, some rural users on really bad internet connections will not be able to use the service but they will be a minority and will not impact the success of the system. Lets also not forget 5G is right around the corner and is going to bring new ways to get home internet.

So go ahead and bookmark this post and tell my I am wrong but if this system doesn't sell it wont be because its a streaming service.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Streaming is inevitable. I'm ready for it. :)

People think that something has to "sell"...when you can stream from devices you already own. lol. Don't ever listen to Era and predictions...

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Prediction: It will be a streaming device and it will fail because the places where they have the licenses to do this don't have the infrastructure to support it to a wide audience.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
with this thread and the thread about streaming being the future, I dunno but it seems that some possible astroturfing is occurring....

late as hell after work edit: /s

Last edited:

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
it doesnt matter if its the best console in the world, i dont trust google to not abandon it in 2 years without telling anyone, then another year later be like oh yeah about that we gave up

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's space for something like this to do very well with a more casual crowd who doesn't follow all the developments in the world of dedicated console gaming and just wants to click on a box like Roku and play around.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless they are monehatting everyone in the industry, they are not going to make any splash in the industry

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In my FOV I see more Era users expressing their fears that streaming will be this dangerously massive success that the entire industry will put it's full weight behind as it quickly replaces native gaming outright. Mostly I think because anonymity lets people express their most poorly thought-out slippery slope bullshit opinions with relative impugnity. But you're right, low cost streaming will grow gaming by making gaming more approachable and accessible. It can't and won't replace native gaming hardware outright, so it's a great thing.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Era thinks that only a super powerful console (PS4/XBox One) or a genius new design (Switch) can sell in this industry.

All three of these consoles have an extremely high barrier to entry when it comes to hardware costs and games.

I sold video game systems at Best Buy when I was younger and console hardware costs and generation turnover were a HUGE issue for parents buying a console for their kids. I always got the same question... "If I buy this 200-300 system with these $60 games will they release a new one soon and make it obsolete?"

If Google announces a sub $100 streaming console tomorrow with a $15-$20 monthly subscription this entire barrier to entry disappears.

I was a project stream beta tester and it worked flawlessly with my 50 down/5 up mbps internet connection so I have zero concerns about connection issues. Yes, some rural users on really bad internet connections will not be able to use the service but they will be a minority and will not impact the success of the system. Lets also not forget 5G is right around the corner and is going to bring new ways to get home internet.

So go ahead and bookmark this post and tell my I am wrong but if this system doesn't sell it wont be because its a streaming service.
You are 100% correct but others that love stacks of physical media will say you are wrong. Google will force the hand of the other three. I'm still not sure if this is bad or good though.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
it's going to fail because google doesn't support anything that isn't a runaway success for long.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Shield TV is pretty incredible so if it rivals that, I'll be pretty happy.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be this, or a more games focused version of google player.

For better or worse, googles has a history of abandoning services that don't work, so I'm not really that excited by anything they have to offer.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I hope it's not an Android box.

Nvidia Shield
Amazon Fire TV
Ouya
Google Nexus Player
Apple TV

All proved these aren't products compelling enough to gamers, while powerful hardware would give developers the tool to make visually impressive games, so it would make sense for Google to sell a traditional console.

That said, regardless of graphics, games are 90% of what makes a console appealing to consumers. At the end of the day it all comes down to the library, which was lacking on the boxes mentioned above.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Data caps tho......

How much data is used to stream a game for 1 hour?

5G internet will bring competition to ISPs and Charter who is almost as big as comcast doesnt have data caps.

Prediction: It will be a streaming device and it will fail because the places where they have the licenses to do this don't have the infrastructure to support it to a wide audience.

In the us that will be the minority. I cant speak for infrastructure in other countries.

I hope it's not an Android box.

Nvidia Shield
Amazon Fire TV
Ouya
Google Nexus Player
Apple TV

All proved these aren't products compelling enough to gamers, while powerful hardware would give developers the tool to make visually impressive games.

That said, regardless of graphics, games are 90% of what makes a console appealing to consumers. At the end of the day it all comes down to the library, which was lacking on the boxes mentioned above.

None of those had a valuable streaming service.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I have no confidence in Google not abandoning this down the road. They have an extremely poor track record for supporting their own products.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
it will fail because i am more invested in steam and xbox.

Steam games can be streamed for free on the GeForce Now service already by already owning the game, geforce now also does uplay and battlenet games too. Why should i spend money in the google ecosystem when there is literally 0 benefit of doing so.

Xbox will soon launch their streaming service too which will probably allow and have the same benefits of GeForce Now........there is 0 reason for me to bother with a google streaming game service.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Not gonna lend myself to an inevitable wall of shame either way, but:
For what it's worth, your internet speed is about triple the average US internet user as of 2017.

http://fortune.com/2017/06/02/internet-speed-akamai-survey/

South Koreans have the fastest internet in the world and the average connection speed for them is 28mbps.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to market predictions, ERA is on point. In being wrong almost everytime.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Internet connections are not fast, consistent, and clean enough to make streaming a reality for most of the world.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I was a project stream beta tester and it worked flawlessly with my 50 down/5 up mbps internet connection so I have zero concerns about connection issues. Yes, some rural users on really bad internet connections will not be able to use the service but they will be a minority and will not impact the success of the system.

I was a project stream tester and it felt and looked jank to me on a wired business connection.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was a project stream beta tester and it worked flawlessly

There's the astroturfing.

I will tell you, you're wrong, a streaming device is simply going to fail. This is OUYA 2.0 and markets this device will be aimed at won't be interested.

I could go on in detail. But I won't.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If it's streaming I hope they make it available worldwide. That's PS Now's biggest problem.

Feb 10, 2018
No, I think it will be a streaming box and streaming on other platforms (phones, tablets, TV's, etc).
I think it will be a bad business model if it does not have reasons to choose it over xcloud/PSNow E. G exclusive games.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are already seeing this, mostly from people who feel threatened that their physical copies and consoles will quickly become a thing of the past.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Streaming is obviously going to be an important thing but let's not act like this is the first of its kind. Streaming is a tough sell and nobody has managed to crack it yet.

I would have more faith in what Microsoft are doing just because they have nearly 30 years of gaming experience and an existing gaming platform they can pull from.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
A Streaming platform is most certainly on Google's pipeline, and it will be great for game developers and players, in my opinion. The problem however is that there is no infrastructure for full-on cloud gaming. The Bandwidth requirements, the latency requirements, etc will make sure that there is going to be a coexistance of cloud gaming and traditional gaming for the next 10 years.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The Google test of Assassins Creed Odyssey begs the question of whether or not the "console" will even be necessary to use this. There's the possibility that there will also be a PC app, right?

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Console launches are hard.

Traditionally, you need appeal to "core gamers" to sell well at launch. They are the early adopters and the audience tuned into these things. If the system doesn't initially sell well, they run the risk of looking unappealing to third party game devs. They don't get games and continue to not sell well until it just looks like a failure.

Personally, I don't see it going this way for Google. There must be some obvious appeals to whatever their device is. Maybe it's dumb easy. no work at all, even, for devs to make their games playable on the device. Maybe it somehow has a built in catalog of games. Maybe it has enough functionality outside of games that a low price point could court the mainstream with ease. I'm excited to see exactly what it is.