• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is dead by the end credits?

• Ellie

Votes: 45 6.0%
  • Joel

Votes: 414 54.8%
  • Joel & Ellie

Votes: 115 15.2%
  • Neither of them

Votes: 181 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
So it's recently been reported that mo-cap shooting for The Last of Us Part Deux has been all wrapped up, and it was all very emotional apparently. Seeing as how there was a lot of speculation as to who out of the central duo was going to snuff it in the first game, I thought I'd have a bit fun by setting up a poll so that we can put ourselves through it all over again. Will Neil subvert expectations and kill Ellie off in the first hour, resulting in Joel going on a murderous rampage for the rest of the game, or will they once again live miserably ever after? Vote now and then we can find out who nailed it and who got it spectacularly wrong when the game comes out this year.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Joel... is a ghoooooooost

But really... Joel probably gets what he's got due and eats it.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a while I was convinced that Joel was already dead and just a voice in Ellie's head.

Are we now throwing that one out the window?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to be bracing myself for it for every cutscene Joel is in.
Something extremely bad will likely happen to both, but I think Ellie will live and continue losing everyone she cares about.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that I'm going to be an emotional wreck under certain parts of the game - or perhaps all of it.

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They're going to make Ellie (us) put down Joel, I can already see it.

I hope I'm wrong though, would like to be surprised!

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine Joel dies, but that's an easy one to predict so I hope they don't go down that route. I expected him to not survive the first game and was pleasantly surprised when he did.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're either both going to live or Joel will die in a very unpredictable way (like, he gets sick with cancer or something instead of being infected or shot by Ellie like everyone thinks).

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
When's the last time Naughty Dog killed off one of the top 2 leads? Ellie & Joel are safe.

Oct 27, 2017
I think they will turn a alot of things around from the first one. I think at one point in the game Ellie will find out the truth about the hospital and her surgery. She will hate Joel for it and they will split ways. Joel will get captured in some form, Ellie finds out and will set out to rescue him, just like Joel had to rescue her from the cannibals in Part 1. I already have major goosebumps.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ellie is doomed because she is probably going to lose her humanity in a major way by the end of the game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They're either both going to live or Joel will die in a very unpredictable way (like, he gets sick with cancer or something instead of being infected or shot by Ellie like everyone thinks).

I can definitely see a swerve like this, like could you imagine they did something like a timejump and old man Joels dies of old age with Ellie looking after him, ending their story, I think I'd cry my eyes out over something so bittersweet.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Joel dying.

They really cheesed with him not being killed in the last game.

Dude fell and impaled himself during the fall of society, you're fucking dead.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
I voted neither. Lots of close calls and lots of angst, Ellie possibly brings up buried feelings about Joel's lie in part 1 but they both make it and patch the drama between them. A major side characters that people will like will probably die and so will the dog.

Oct 25, 2017
Would be far more interesting - as the first game kind of confirms - to see them both continue on to live in a world of uncertainty. That being said, I guess I expect Joel to die, so I will instead expect Ellie to die in the first half of the game.

Nov 14, 2017
When's the last time Naughty Dog killed off one of the top 2 leads? Ellie & Joel are safe.
Joel will be old in Part II, I can definitely see him die in this game, specially if they want to completely transform Ellie's character, which will fucking hurt because he's one of my favorite characters in video games.
Ellie will probably survive in this but die in Part III.

Other thing that can happen is Joel becomes the Joel at the beginning of TLOU1 which is smart and doesn't take unnecessary risks. If that happens, he might survive.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Voted for both. I never wanted to see either of them again after the conclusion of the first game anyway, even though I like them both a lot.

TLOU is tonally very different from Uncharted. When Drake and his posse survive another wild adventure, it fits with the whole Indiana Jones adventure vibe. If Joel and Ellie survive another game in a world drowning in danger and sadness, it'll seem really disingenuous.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Joel dies early in the game, his force ghost follows you through most of the game.

Also obviously Ellie's mom dies as well.