• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is dead by the end credits?

• Ellie

Votes: 45 6.0%
  • Joel

Votes: 414 54.8%
  • Joel & Ellie

Votes: 115 15.2%
  • Neither of them

Votes: 181 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Joel will be old in Part II, I can definitely see him die in this game, specially if they want to completely transform Ellie's character, which will fucking hurt because he's one of my favorite characters in video games.
Ellie will probably survive in this but die in Part III.

Other thing that can happen is Joel becomes the Joel at the beginning of TLOU1 which is smart and doesn't take unnecessary risks. If that happens, he might survive.
I honestly believe they won't kill Joel off. I believe Ellie goes on a rampage on some people and Joel will eventually stop her.

Uncharted 4 marketing tried to make it look like nathan drake will die or someone close to him and no one died. Different games yes but there's a reason they haven't revealed Joel yet. It's to make believe he's going to die.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Ellie will be the last of us.

I still think that either the girl from the E3 video dies, Joel dies, or both die in an attack and that starts the revenge story. Ghost Joel is probably real.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I think Joel is a goner but wouldn't it be a neat twist if midway through the game, Ellie is killed and you are given control of Joel to take out his revenge?
In true TLOU fashion, ending would be Joel giving up on revenge to accept the events that have occurred and choosing not to continue the cycle of murder/ revenge leaving you as the player to question all of the feelings you now have.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Voted for both. I never wanted to see either of them again after the conclusion of the first game anyway, even though I like them both a lot.

TLOU is tonally very different from Uncharted. When Drake and his posse survive another wild adventure, it fits with the whole Indiana Jones adventure vibe. If Joel and Ellie survive another game in a world drowning in danger and sadness, it'll seem really disingenuous.
Different games same developer. Look at uncharted 4 marketing "Nathan Drakes last adventure". Yet no one close to him died. They are doing the same shit while not revealing Joel. It's to make you believe that Joel may die. And it's working. This is why you have secondary characters get killed off like Riley, Sam, Tess & Marlene. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment expecting Joel or ellie to die.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
what's Joel due of? He did nothing wrong (in the context of the world he lives in)
I don't know about that, he was very clearly a bandit who killed innocents in the early years of the end of the world and TLoU world wasn't completely lawless, the government are barely better than the bandits sure, but not everyone was a piece of shit.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
*puts the detective hat on* in that tweet ashley johnson looked like she cried more than troy baker, so my vote goes to joel.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us brilliantly subverted the expectation that one of the two main characters needed to die.

I mean I guess Joel is now "older" and "soft" in a way that runs contrary to his nature as a post-apocalyptic apex predator, so he is ripe for the picking if we want to see some real consequences. But part of me feels like Joel is so beyond most of TLoU's universe at this point that it would take something tremendous to put him down. I hope the story feels the same way about him that I do.

And Ellie doesn't deserve to die, I can't imagine how terrible I would feel if anything happened to her. Its like entertaining Clementine from the Walking Dead dying.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whoever dies it is going to be the most emotionally effective death ever in a videogame for me, since I care so much for these characters. I am not ready.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I don't know about that, he was very clearly a bandit who killed innocents in the early years of the end of the world and TLoU world wasn't completely lawless, the government are barely better than the bandits sure, but not everyone was a piece of shit.

in that world, it's almost everyone for himself. Living in that world and thinking the government (and Firefly) is going to help you is a sure fireway to die early. I would do the same thing if i were him.

You can have morals in a orderly society. If everything breaks down though, having morals is just putting yourself at a disadvantage.

That's just my 2 cents of course.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Joel's days are numbered, but at the same time, I've felt that way about major characters in both TLOU1 and UC4, so...I'll just say that TLOU1's ending was very surprising and refreshing to me, and I could see ND pulling off something similarly this time out.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The Last of Us is an Ellies story.
She has to die to the story ends.
And when she dies the cure is gone.
With the cure gone mankind is doomed.
Game ends with Joel talking to Ellies grave: "You know Ellie? We really are The Last of Us" BOOOOM!

Nov 18, 2018
The only character I'm 100% certain is going to die is Dina, but I think there's a high chance Joel will die. I think Ellie is going to survive.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Statistically, in a world Last of Us is set, it has to be Joel. It's a miracle he survived that long. And with the heart wrenching stuff Neil has teasered, it's almost gotta be Joel. Ellie can still get her third game, like Clementine in TWD from telltale. No way they kill Ellie but let Joel live. It would be the classic tragedy with the father and mentor figure dying at the end.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joel for sure but I could see Ellie dying as well.

Joel and Ellie essentially going out together.

It would certainly subvert expectations if Joel survived but Ellie died but that would be the end of the story. You can't have Joel go on alone narratively.

Edit: Oh a third game is assured? Then I think both of them will survive the second game but what I wrote then applies to the third game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
in that world, it's almost everyone for himself. Living in that world and thinking the government (and Firefly) is going to help you is a sure fireway to die early. I would do the same thing if i were him.

You can have morals in a orderly society. If everything breaks down though, having morals is just putting yourself at a disadvantage.

That's just my 2 cents of course.
Oh, I don't think anyone would come out differently in his situation, his daughter was shot dead in his arms by the military just because they weren't worth the hassle, that'd fuck anyone up beyond repair. But as Tess said they are "shitty people", Joel especially so.

Albatross

Nov 11, 2017
The cliche choice would obviously be Joel, so they could want to avoid it.
On the other end, LGBT characters always have HUGE chances of kicking the bucket...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Voted Ellie, seems like the cheap gut punch that leave a lasting impression

Edit: a 3rd is already confirmed? Never mind.
TLoU 3 ain't confirmed. It's rumored ND will do a new I.P next. TLoU 2 likely isn't the end for the I.P either, but we'll see where Joel and Ellie are by the end, like all ND games it'll probably be fairly up in the air, they are quite great at doing satisfying endings that leave a window open for more if they choose to continue.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone expecting Joel,but Neil will surprise us and kill Ellie in the last scene.Joel see another daughter dies in your arms.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
i'm voting the player: i'll be amazed if this game manages to even equal the original, never mind surpass it :) ...

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
what's Joel due of? He did nothing wrong (in the context of the world he lives in)
oh come on, the "in the context of the world he lives in" is such a cop out lol. We all know he's not exactly a saint, but the ending of the first game isn't exactly disproving the "shitty people" line. He has his reasons sure, and I'm not saying Ellie is going to (for sure) find out he did lie and turn on him or anything, but I just don't see him getting away with a clean slate. Probability sacrifices himself or something redemptive, but he's gonna get it none the less if I had to bet.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My vote is for humanity, but since it's not an option I'm voting neither. I feel ND is making stuff too obvious for Joel and I think he'll survive TLOU2.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be interesting if it's, in fact, Ellie who kicks the proverbial bucket and Joel is forced to deal to deal with the grief of losing a (surrogate) daughter once again.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You guys seriously think Joel is gonna die? It's really obvious that I doubt it. I think Joe and Ellie will be the last two survive, with Tommy and his whole camp die.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
#Team Switcharoo
Ellie kicks the bucket but not before coming to hate Joel 100%, once you play as Joel it will pure spiral into madness/brutality.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, if I had to guess though I would suspect that Joel will die a hero's death for Ellie and she'll finally understand his selfishness and deep desire to protect her. Logic is definitely getting fucked up in this game, that's for certain.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
she'll lose an arm or an eye, she's too much of a hothead not to lose something by the end of this

I expect Joel to deteriorate with old age and mental illness. Id like to see Joel survive and just be bound to a wheelchair or get dementia

Its fittingly sad for a character with so much mental trauama