• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't a VPN help with access and pricing issues for those in other countries? I'm trying to understand how piracy in any situation regarding HBO and GoT can be reasonably argued. I just don't see it right now.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, ethically, if you're paying for it and torrent a better copy, what is really any party out of? Doesn't seem much different from using a different .exe to get your legal game copy to run better.
You good as far as I am concerned morally.

Legally that's not a defense but at least you are giving the creators something.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
My country is always the highest for pirating GoT but our choices are so limited here. Australia sucks (can't wait to leave!)
Anywho, this year is actually the first year I am legally watching it.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't a VPN help with access and pricing issues for those in other countries? I'm trying to understand how piracy in any situation regarding HBO and GoT can be reasonably argued. I just don't see it right now.
I'd imagine people wouldn't want to go through the trouble of signing up for a VPN and then finding a way to sign up for a subscription service in a different currency when they could download a 1080p stream in 10 minutes and be done with it. Why are these companies providing such shut streams.

真棒!

Banned
Nov 24, 2017

yeah man why not pay for a VPN (as you shouldn't be paying for stuff on a free VPN) just to pay for a service just to watch 1 entire show

surely thats not a lot of work when the illegal method is so much easier and faster. If HBO wanted to curb piracy, then make it easier than piracy. Until then, you shouldn't be surprised.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I tried NowTV free trial for the 1st episode.

Was not at all impressed with 720p max, and no subtitles. If this is the best of what they have to offer me without signing up for cable tv wholesale then nah bruv. If they want me to pay they need to offer something at least on the level of Stremio or something

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
People are cheap. The whole access argument only is for a niche amount of people pretty much always. The majority is people are cheap and we need to pass ISP laws that protect content creators.
Is this show hdr on HBO?

I'm watching it through shitty crave but if its hdr then I would risk torrenting.
If it is I can't tell. I have hbo on directv but the best source I've ever seen for GoT is streaming hbo go on the Xbox X. Idk if the X is doing some processing magic but it looks far cleaner than the raw signal I get on directv.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No wonder. Not that I'd do it, but in Canada the only way to get HBO is through a cable subscription add on. I don't want cable nor want to pay for HBO on top of that.

Make it easier to access.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I notice there are two HBO apps. HBO go and HBO now. I feel like this doesnt help much.
HBO Now is for people who pay for the HBO app directly from HBO.

HBO Go is for people who pay for HBO though their cable subscription. Eg, you have xfinity cable and added HBO to your bundle, then you sign in to HBO Go with your xfinity account.

Don't get me started on the UI.
Now, the Netflix UI isn't anything to be exactly proud about, for sure, but that HBO GO one is some shameful amateur hour bullshit.
HBO Go on desktop still uses Adobe Flash in 2019!

I thought a lot of companies blocked VPN. Imagine if you went though all this, and then HBO Now was blocked because you were using the VPN to access it.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Not surprised since you need a subscription before you can have the privilege to pay another subscription just for HBO alone, atleast where I come from. Most people are not willing to pay that.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Duh. In The Netherlands you can't subscribe to HBO seperately. It's tied to a telecom provider. Only if you are a customer of that provider, you can get HBO. Do you have a different provider? No HBO for you. Know so many people that just pirate it.

When GoT is done so is HBO. Here atleast.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the first time the series is available in Malaysia, uncensored, and only an hour later than the broadcast at US.

Pity the app to watch it kinda sucks, which Im sure makes a lot here go for torrents instead.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are the piracy numbers much higher than average in the US where Game of Thrones is more easily accessible or is this just saying the show is super popular around the world and people are willing to watch it any way they can?

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Not gonna justify anything here, but bear in mind that even though here in Chile there's HBO GO, the servers collapsed yesterday at the time of the premiere, making it unusable. So I knew people who literally watched pirated streams that were more stable than the official app/service.

In any case I just watched on TV. Wasn't in HD but at least I was able to watch it without a hitch.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how much more money HBO would make simply by allowing people to rent/buy each episode for a two or three dollars apiece, worldwide, at the same time, instead of trying to funnel people toward their subscription service.

Hell, they'd make thousands on 99-cent downloads.
Wow, thousands of dollars? I'm sure they're super excited about that prospect!

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
if people can't pay for the content for what they feel is a fair price (or isn't even sold in their country) then they're probably gonna pirate it. if hbo offers a fair deal then most reasonable people would be willing to sign up.

i mean if pirates were better people they're just gonna abstain from watching instead of feeling entitled to something for free that costs tons of labor and money to make, but that's just the way it is. some segment of people are always gonna pirate, and other people who pirate feel like they're driven to it by lack of "fair" options to watch the content

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
When I lived in the Netherlands, Game of Thrones was only available through a premium tv package from a specific internet provider that wasn't available where I lived. My only option then was to move, or watch at someone else's where they did have Ziggo internet/tv. I think for this season they have an app so you can borrow a relative or friend's log in to watch it through the official chanel, but I'm not sure if that's any better than pirating.

Now I live in Belgium where it's the same system, you must have Telenet internet/tv to watch GoT. When I moved here I specifically tried to get Telenet for GoT but they came to my house and said I didn't have the proper connection.

It's a shitty situation and it will only drive more people to piracy. Waiting for the blu-rays simply isn't an option anymore when GoT has become like a global phenomenon and spoilers are everywhere.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm convinced HBO doesn't care about piracy in my country anyway, if they did they wouldn't have sold the rights to the show to a single internet provider that isn't even available in a lot of places.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely a service problem in Australia. Being tied to one cable network at a high price with no other options until much much later after the season finishes. I know so many people here that want to support the show and would happily pay for something like HBO Now/Go at a decent price just to watch Game of Thrones but the option doesn't exist here.
Wouldn't they reject the payment from another country considering that they block other countries from accessing their service?

I seem to recall hearing a story about that from awhile back.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
HBO is in need of something big to follow this up. I enjoy many HBO shows, but some are coming to an end and the others go on very long breaks between seasons. I am just not seeing the value in it any longer compared to Netflix, Prime, or hell even Hulu at this point. They have the money to create more content like Netflix. I remember reading an article years ago in which the CEO of Netflix said he wanted Netflix to become HBO before HBO could become Netflix. I am totally seeing that now. So it's no wonder, to me at least, that people would rather just pirate this show rather than pay $15 for a few months.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are people's thoughts on having an HBO sub, but only pirating due to an early leak? Not trying to condone piracy or admit to piracy myself, but that's an interesting aspect of a widely popular show that gets leaked very frequently.

I always wondered if game of thrones piracy is what made HBO come up with HBO now because the piracy numbers were off the chain.
Should we be thankful for the piracy that caused that then? It was a smart move for pretty much all the big names like HBO, Showtime, etc... To allow us to subscribe without having cable. And I'm thankful Disney's bringing The Simpsons to a steaming service that doesn't require cable as well.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
What are people's thoughts on having an HBO sub, but only pirating due to an early leak? Not trying to condone piracy or admit to piracy myself, but that's an interesting aspect of a widely popular show that gets leaked very frequently.

I personally wouldn't give a damn, you're already paying them for support
I'm not going to get mad/judge on behalf of a rich corporation

*If you're reading this HBO i am willing to get mad/judge others on your behalf for payment on forums*

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I mean I did feel like a moron yesterday watching it on HBO Now with the quality being so embarrassingly bad.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
People who want to make make gifs, screencaps, commentary videos, etc. Often use pirated videos even if they pay for a legit service through which to watch the show because of how restrictive DRM technologies are. So the reasons can be vast.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought pirates used filesharer now and not torrents.

AFAIK in germany you can watch GoT only on Sky now in shitty 720p and even the servers crashed? Not defending piracy, it is wrong, no questions asked. But as long as it is more convenient for people it will be used. I personally think it is also on the rise again, with more and more streaming services and fragmentation of shows. but what do I know.,

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Here in Germany the only legal option to watch this is a 720p stream so piracy will actually get you way better quality.
Really? Sky only delivers GoT in 720p? What about Amazon or even the Playstation Network? I haven't checked in a while but a few seasons ago you were able to buy it on a PS4 and I'm pretty sure it was available in 1080p.
I'm glad I got a working HBO Now subscription via VPN. They tried to ban me for using a VPN but I could convince them to lift the ban after sending them a copy of an utility bill I got from my family in the States.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I really cannot fathom how terrible the quality is on any streaming platform it's available on. I thought the lesson was learned years ago, that the best way to fight piracy is to offer a better service.