• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When pirates are more adept at getting high quality versions of your show into the hands of millions of people around the world pretty much instantaneously, just maybe you are leaving money on the table.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
They put it on Sky Atlantic in the UK which you can only get with Sky unlike almost every other channel. Shit like this sends people to piracy.

Sky Atlantic started after Sky we're forced through regulation to make Sky One available to other providers. The same company owning content and distribution is a disaster for consumers.

You can get Sky Atlantic via Now TV for literally pennies.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I just got myself a 5€ subscription to Sky Ticket in Germany. Thats a very fair price and I could watch it Monday morning at 1080p, no buffering. I will also watch Westworld season 2 inbetween. A few years ago you still had to get an expensive Sky TV subscription. If you pirate it here you have no excuses anymore.
Sky ticket allows you to stream at 720p only! (No reason for piracy, but unacceptable in 2019).

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Portuguese HBO streaming service delivered the episode 70 minutes late because the service had technical issues the moment all the people got on to watch at 2am. Lots of people on social media saying they will not renew for 5€ (after the free month most of them are on) and will just pirate stream the next episodes..

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I watched it on Crave the other day, and while it does the job and I'm glad we no longer need cable subscription to watch GoT.... 720p in 2019 is a fucking joke, especially for a show like GoT where you miss so many details. Why can't they make it at least 1080p? Damn cheap bastards.... charges us 20$/month and that's what we get. I'll gladly unsub when the season is over.

Yup, whereas pirates experienced extremely smooth playback with no buffering/lag, good bitrate, 1080p and surround sound. Pirates in Canada literally received a better GoT experience than paying Crave TV subscribers.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
You would only need to subscribe for a month to see all of S8.

Yeah and the quality is absolute rubbish 720p with awful sound.

Can't blame people for pirating high quality copies when the only paid version available to them is completely unacceptable quality wise.

Give me a high quality 1080p service that streams it and I'll pay for it.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOT is the true treasure for pirates.
I remember when GOT 1st started in the UK and it was exclusive to Sky TV customers. You were expected to pay a hundred'ish bucks a month and be locked into an 18 month contract just for the privilege of getting to watch GOT for a few months a year.
I can't help but feel the rampant piracy that followed from this awesome business decision caused HBO to out pressure on Sky to create their Now TV streaming service and make GOT available at a reasonable price.

Err, what Sky contract did you have that cost over a hundred pounds a month? It' was nowhere near that, unless you opt for nearly every available package. I had it at the time and it was only costing £40-50.

HBO now like 10 bucks a month lol.

Torrenting just ain't worth the effort and shitty quality

Shitty quality? Most of the GoT torrents are in 720/1080p. HBO now is not available everywhere, people need to get out of this mindset.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
That's just not true otherwise GOT wouldn't be the success it is right now. For a long time we had to wait for weeks/months or even a year to get GOT, now we get it live and piracy is way down and the local provider is making money hands over fists.
GoT is the most pirated show of all time. Something can be a success and still pirated that doesn't make piracy ok.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I'm not defending piracy, as I watch Game of Thrones at a friend's house and she has HBO, but goddamn HBO GO didn't work live for the entirety of season 7 here in Brazil and the same thing happened again with the season 8 premiere. How can you expect people to pay R$35/month to watch GoT legally if your service doesn't work as intended/advertised? Two hours before the episode went live the servers were already down. It's ridiculous.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When pirates are more adept at getting high quality versions of your show into the hands of millions of people around the world pretty much instantaneously, just maybe you are leaving money on the table.
I think the idea was for At&t to sell phone service for free HBO access, but they couldn't work it out in time

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Only 720p Stereo available here so fuck off I'll get the 1080 5.1 version for free, yarrr.

If HBO wants my money stop allowing companies like sky to sham people out of money for shit quality and offer hbo now everywhere.

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GoT is the most pirated show of all time. Something can be a success and still pirated that doesn't make piracy ok.

GOT is the most successful show of current times, piracy is easier than ever while accessibility isn't in large part of the world.

To put it in more simpler terms, if your opinion was in anyway true, services like Spotify, Netflix, Steam or Apple Music wouldn't be thriving since they're more often than not converting pirates and/or people not buying content.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh, as a former "pirate", the community and piracy advocates that just enjoy getting it for free will continue to do so. 8 years it ago it was just a different excuse as it is now. 8 years ago it was "just give me the OPTION of streaming and I'll gladly pay!". Now that you can, the excuse is the quality of audio and sound, or the price.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Portuguese HBO streaming service delivered the episode 70 minutes late because the service had technical issues the moment all the people got on to watch at 2am. Lots of people on social media saying they will not renew for 5€ (after the free month most of them are on) and will just pirate stream the next episodes..

It's not like they were ever going to subscribe the service.

Deleted member 28131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In Australia our options are Foxtel or wait. So...

giphy.gif

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh, as a former "pirate", the community and piracy advocates that just enjoy getting it for free will continue to do so. 8 years it ago it was just a different excuse as it is now. 8 years ago it was "just give me the OPTION of streaming and I'll gladly pay!". Now that you can, the excuse is the quality of audio and sound, or the price.
I mean, some entire countries literally can't even access the series. I get your point tho. Pirates gonna pirate.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have reactivated my Sky account just to be greeted by yet another player to download and sub 720p resolution. While it's not an option for me, I don't mind pirating especially with shit like this

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I can say with confidence that a large chunk of these people who pirate the show, don't have any legal access to it.

I for example didn't have any legal mean to watch the show in my country until season six came out. Now there is a streaming service that puts up the episodes in the same time as everywhere, for 2.99$ a month only.

There is no justification for piracy whatsoever, but it is kinda on the company if it doesn't get its content accessible everywhere.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
As a former "pirate everything" who had most of my family do it too, and that was for everything ( from games to series/movies manga, anime ), I saw literaly everyone in my family and friends convert to netflix when it came to France.

What they did not do, is convert to netflix + 3-4 other subscription services. At best Amazon Prime, but that was usually because of the 'free' 24h delivery, not their video content.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I mean I pay for Sky and I am able to watch it there, but I still got the episode at work in 1080p which was such a massiv difference in quality that I will do the same with the following episodes. Sky Go is such a shit show.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I pay for Sky and I am able to watch it there, but I still got the episode at work in 1080p which was such a massiv difference in quality that I will do the same with the following episodes. Sky Go is such a shit show.

I"m not arguing the quality is too bad for you to consume or fine as it is. All I'm saying that the reasons people use to pirate game of thrones continues to change as access changes.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Curious what the numbers for Stranger Things S3 will be. A highly anticipated show that will be easily accessable in the best quality at the same time around the globe.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah and the quality is absolute rubbish 720p with awful sound.

Can't blame people for pirating high quality copies when the only paid version available to them is completely unacceptable quality wise.

Give me a high quality 1080p service that streams it and I'll pay for it.

This conversation is about the UK. GOT is also available in 1080, as a simulcast with the US. That poster is just unwilling to pay for it.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I ended up subscribing to our ISP's (Ziggo) shitty expanded service just to be able to watch it. But, the image quality was definitely shitty. I suspect 720p at best.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhhhh got you. Well that is a big factor I'm sure. Thirsty fans living in places where it isn't available.

Pretty much this. I tried subscribing to the service here in Taiwan but I'm locked out. I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime and what have you so it's a real bummer because I happily pay for my content.

In this case I just wait for the complete series on iTunes (and have rented previous seasons from local rental stores in the meantime).

We had HBO as part of our cable TV package but episodes were fucking censored. Even knife stabs were blurred out. So strange.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
If the file size is 3.3GB .mkv for a 60 minute episode, that quality is likely better than the bitrate most cable companies provided.

It's a shame that pirated files end up being superior to the quality fed to us by expensive cable and satellite subscriptions.

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Damn yall calm it down. HBO now is only like 15 bucks. Cancel it after the season is over as I'm going to do...until Westworld hits that is.

The only way to get HBO Now here is to change ISP... To someone who can't even deliver to my area. Fantastic. The locked the subscription behind a fucking Internet subscription from a specific ISP.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Crave's quality is absolute garbage. However, I watched it "On Air" and the quality seemed much better than what I typically see from Crave. I'll have to check out the on-demand episode to see if the quality has diminished at all.

Definitely, I did feel like the on air live version of it was better than when I was doing my catch up.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This happens every year, and will only continue to happen now that more shows are becoming exclusive to their respective streaming services. I dont know what the solution is, but they arent really making things better.
There's usually always a way to legally obtain something, but people don't want to because it usually costs money

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I watched it through adding HBO to Hulu and the quality was pretty abysmal at times; it would buffer down to like 480P, which in dark scenes, is basically unwatchable with the black crush. I don't know if that's a Hulu issue or Hulu farms out the HBO content to come off HBO's own servers, but it is shocking how big a gulf there was between that and your average Netflix or Amazon presentation.

Game of Thrones season premiere pirated 54 million times in a day
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
'Game of Thrones Season Premiere Pirated 54 million Times in a Day'

Data published by piracy monitoring firm MUSO suggests that the season opener of Game of Thrones was pirated 54 million times in the first 24 hours. Unauthorized streaming services were most used, while torrent downloads were good for roughly ten percent of the total. Most pirates come from India, followed by China and the United States.

As usual, the torrent download figures quickly ran into the millions. However, little is known about the traffic that goes to web-based streaming portals, which have outgrown traditional file-sharing sites in recent years.

One of the main problems is that it's impossible for outsiders to know exactly how many visitors pirate streaming services get. Traffic data for these sites are not public, which makes it difficult to put an exact figure on the number of views one particular video has.

According to MUSO, the premiere episode of the seventh season of Game of Thrones has been pirated more than 54 million times during the first day alone. This massive number is largely driven by streaming websites.

For comparison, HBO's official, or legitimate, viewing numbers add up to just 17.4 million.

The data reveals that online streaming sites accounted for 76.6% of all pirate views, followed by web downloads at 12.2%. Public torrent sites were good for another 10.8% and private torrent sites close the row with 0.5%.

MUSO's finding are partly based on data from SimilarWeb, which uses a sample of roughly 200 million 'devices' to estimate website traffic. Website visits are then seen as "downloads or view," and the sample data is extrapolated into the totals. Whether people actually saw the full episode is unknown.

In addition to the pirate numbers and sources, MUSO also revealed the top countries where the Game of Thrones premiere was accessed. India is in the lead here with 9.5 million pirate hits, followed by China and the US with 5.2 and 4 million respectively.

The top ten of countries with the most Game of Thrones pirates is completed by the UK, Nigeria, Iran, Kenya, France, Canada, and Australia, as seen below.

musogot.png
https://torrentfreak.com/game-of-thrones-season-premiere-pirated-54-million-times-in-a-day-190417/

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
For years my wife and I literally had no way to watch the show without pirating it. We would always buy the season when it finally released but we weren't going to sit around waiting to get spoiled. HBO need to have a better way of distributing internationally. We would have loved loved loved to give them money for HBO Now.

Now that we live in France we can get HBO so there's no torrenting for us this season but they really should have sorted it out by now.