• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
I thought this was interesting because it raises some new points of discussion in relation to this acquisition but also about the future consolidation of the industry.

The Congressional Research Service, a Congress' think tank that provides insight and non-partisan analysis of issues of public debate (since 1914), published a few days ago (August 3rd) a report about the ABK acquisition.

The Congressional Research Service operates within the Library of Congress and works primarily and directly for members of Congress and their committees and staff on a confidential, nonpartisan basis. It is one of three major legislative agencies that support Congress.

The report is public and it's called "Microsoft's Proposed Acquisition of Activision Blizzard: In Brief".

It's very well documented (although they still mention Starfield as coming in November :p) and it focuses on the US market (although some of the concerns are valid on a worldwide scale):

- First it includes an analysis of the video game industry (developers, publishers and distributors, gaming by device, subscription services, cloud gaming, etc.)

- Then we have some data: the famous "Game Pass makes up about 60% of the video game subscription market" that Sony used in Brazil comes from here (an Ampere Analysis report).

Among video game publishers in United States, Microsoft has the highest market share with 23,9%. Activision Blizzard is second with 10%. In any case, they say that this info may not accurately reflect competition in these markets, given that ABK and MS compete at a global level.

- Potential concerns from the acquisition:

1) If Microsoft is going to restrict the availability of Activision Blizzard's video games to its consoles and its streaming and cloud gaming services. They mention how MS has stated that Call of Duty and other popular Activision games will be available on competing platforms like Sony's PlayStation. But those commitments are unclear about other subscription or cloud gaming services (we know that Europe is asking about the compatibility and accessibility of Game Pass on rival platforms).

2) The availability of other games that are or will be under development, in this case they mention the case of Starfield (we know that the FTC is also looking into the Bethesda acquisition now).

3) If Microsoft will have a market dominance regarding PC digital stores because they will operate the MS Store and Battle.net. They don't believe so because Valve controls at least 75% of PC desktop game distribution

4) If Microsoft allows other subscription or cloud gaming services to distribute Activision Blizzard's video games, will they charge these providers a fee to do so, meaning potential competitors could face an additional cost that Microsoft would not?

5) Some long term effects of the acquisition, for example if other subscription and cloud gaming service providers are unable to increase their market shares (because MS has accumulated too much valuable content), and then MS could potentially increase prices (beyond what is reasonable) in the future.

6) Microsoft could have a competitive advantage in markets that may develop, like the metaverse. Although Microsoft has been investing in AR and VR, Activision Blizzard hasn't. They mention the recent complaint (July 27th) from the FTC filed in federal court to block Meta Platforms' acquisition of Within Unlimited, a software company that develops apps for VR devices. In its complaint, the FTC states that the acquisition "poses a reasonable probability of eliminating both present and future competition". The focus on "future competition" is an interesting point, they believe.

7) Microsoft's acquisition could reduce the number of potential employers in the video game industry, what is called "Labor market monopsony".

A monopsony exists when a single buyer dominates a market. In labor markets, an employer with monopsony power dominates demand for workers able to perform certain jobs, enabling it to pay lower compensation than might be required to attract workers in a competitive market

They say that at an FTC forum in May 2022, an Activision Blizzard employee raised concerns that consolidation in the industry could enable firms to hire employees at lower wages than in a competitive market.

They think that if Microsoft allows Activision Blizzard to essentially operate as a separate entity within Microsoft (as they did with Bethesda), the acquisition might not significantly affect the labor market for developers.

Furthermore, some employees may have skills that would be easily transferrable to firms outside of the video game industry, which could limit Microsoft's ability to control wages.

They also mention the labor neutrality agreement signed in June between the Communications Workers of America and Microsoft to enable workers "to freely and fairly make a choice about union representation".

In any case, in the last two decades only 5% of the transactions received a second request for additional information (this is the phase where MS - ABK are now). And only a portion of these in-depth investigations resulted in one of the agencies contesting the transaction.

Finally, it includes some considerations for US Congress:

A) Some bills introduced in the 117th Congress and related to mergers and acquisitions (S. 225, S. 3267, H.R. 7101, S. 3847 and S. 1074), if passed into law, could affect Microsoft's proposed acquisition. For example, because they explicitly prohibit monopsony or would prevent firms of a certain size or share of a defined market from making any acquisitions.

B) Some other bills not focused on mergers and acquisitions (H.R. 3816, S. 2992, S4201 and H.R. 7858), if passed, likely would not affect Microsoft's proposed acquisition now (although maybe futures ones). These bills want to prohibit large firms from engaging in specified forms of discriminatory conduct or would create a new federal commission to regulate digital platforms.

Anyway, some good food for thought about this acquisition and the future of the industry in the US and beyond.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's acquisition could reduce the number of potential employers in the video game industry, what is called "Labor market monopsony".

This is the area that interests me. Wasn't there a story about the FTC going after ViacomCBS with regards to this?

Fake edit: Found it

I'm not smart enough to know if there are any parallels here. But it's an interesting read.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
1) If Microsoft is going to restrict the availability of Activision Blizzard's video games to its consoles and its streaming and cloud gaming services. They mention how MS has stated that Call of Duty and other popular Activision games will be available on competing platforms like Sony's PlayStation. But those commitments are unclear about other subscription or cloud gaming services (we know that Europe is asking about the compatibility and accessibility of Game Pass on rival platforms).

4) If Microsoft allows other subscription or cloud gaming services to distribute Activision Blizzard's video games, will they charge these providers a fee to do so, meaning potential competitors could face an additional cost that Microsoft would not?
I'm sure if they made it a stipulation for it, MS would make stuff like day one COD "available" to something like ps plus, but obviously at the market rate for such a game. It would be expensive as hell considering what those games sell. I don't get this second point. Like of course there would be a fee? Why would MS give away call of duty for free on ps plus? When they paid to make the product. Now if they're talking about something like geforce now where people pay to stream their owned games, then I agree, it's not right to charge a fee there since the game was purchased.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Whew....once again, good luck to MS.

They scrutinizing the shit out of this....

Jul 22, 2022
I'm sure if they made it a stipulation for it, MS would make stuff like day one COD "available" to something like ps plus, but obviously at the market rate for such a game. It would be expensive as hell considering what those games sell. I don't get this second point. Like of course there would be a fee? Why would MS give away call of duty for free on ps plus? When they paid to make the product. Now if they're talking about something like geforce now where people pay to stream their owned games, then I agree, it's not right to charge a fee there since the game was purchased.
I am pretty sure it is about availability of whatever you own. Microsoft would not agree to put COD games to other services even if Sony pays for it.

After this acquisition though, others will be walk in the park as nothing can beat ABK and 70b in the gaming market. When 70b deal is completed, who would care about 5,10,15,20b acquisitions etc.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"If Microsoft allows other subscription or cloud gaming services to distribute Activision Blizzard's video games, will they charge these providers a fee to do so, meaning potential competitors could face an additional cost that Microsoft would not?"

Do they not know how all this works?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I am reserving a spot on here, because how does anyone read so fast? >_<

This is good! While Congress often does not listen to its nonpartisan advisors, it is good that there is so much relatively well-researched and comprehensive thinking about this, with specific details to the video game industry and such. That is the kind of rigor that should be expected here. And these are good points to bring up (though, again, they are literally coming up with anything that could be relevant issue - not saying that these ARE important or problematic. I would be surprised if any ended up being that big of an issue for the FTC.) Props to Clare Cho.

And yes, it is worth remembering, as Sullivan points out, that this is not related at all to the FTC review. It's a report about the topic, written for Congress, that discusses some of the issues at hand in a way that might inform Congresspeople. It references some of what the FTC is looking at - but only from afar. Again, the crime here is how often very well-researched and documented and elaborated work by nonpartisan civil servants is summarily ignored and discarded by the partisan politicians who this material is ostensibly prepared for.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be mindful of taking specific data claims coming from IBISWorld with some extra scrutiny; Their reports don't include the actual dataset or methodology for the vast majority of their data claims, and just as importantly, don't provide full relative ranking sets for many of their standalone claims. When you have outside reports citing their reports, which themselves only cite unspecified "figures", you get a weird game of telephone where credibility can get strained.

This isn't from an institution I have any connection to, but the long-and-short of this FAQ is common to see in higher-ed business programs (notably not just re: IBISWorld):

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Whew....once again, good luck to MS.

They scrutinizing the shit out of this....

As they should. Every major acquisition should be looked over with a fine tooth comb, and all possible repercussions.

I know we have had this discussion before, but it does make me think that Microsoft buying another major publisher is all but impossible. At least short term. Ten years or something will be a different story. If they are at least partially worried about this one and even looking back now at Bethesda, a third one would be mighty concerning I imagine.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
All the bills they recommend were introduced early last year (with the exception of the house bill) by Klobuchar, Warren, and Hawley and haven't been looked at since. Most of them sent to a subcommittee. My guess? This won't really affect much.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
How is 4) any different than any other media company licensing out their content for streaming/cable networks šŸ¤Ø

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
How is 4) any different than any other media company licensing out their content for streaming/cable networks šŸ¤Ø
I think they're just bringing up anything that could be affected by the acquisition. However based on the bills they recommended, my guess is no one in Congress cares and there is zero chance that a bill that blocks large firms from acquiring will ever pass.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Did MS publicly and legally committed to this or was it a PR move?
Wdym publicly AND legally? They publicly said it multiple times and it would be bold to lie about it. The length of time that it would remain the case hasn't been explicitly stated. Rather that they intend to keep it multiplatform throughout any contractual terms and beyond that time frame

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Idas I also think its important to know that this is research for Congress to make bills on. It doesn't really affect the current acquisition because they're suggesting future legislation. It's not like a letter to the FTC saying why the acquisition is illegal based on current laws but rather what Congress can pass to prevent acquisitions like this in the future. (Which there is zero percent chance Congress passes the recommended bills)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just one of many concerns that all media acquisitions must inevitably face as they seek approval. Disney had to address that with Fox, Discovery had to address it with WB, Comcast had to address it with Universal, etc. There's nothing unique about it, it's just procedure. However in all those instances it is clear that these kinds of acquisitions always make their respective market less competitive and the question is whether any particular acquisition steps over the line of what level of reduced competition is deemed acceptable.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Then we have some data: the famous "Game Pass makes up about 60% of the video game subscription market" that Sony used in Brazil comes from here (an Ampere Analysis report).

Well they were one of the first gaming companies to actually push for this in a big way so of course they will have a super high market share but with Sony combining all their subs that now competes with game pass and has more users so these numbers are a bit off.

If Microsoft is going to restrict the availability of Activision Blizzard's video games to its consoles and its streaming and cloud gaming services. They mention how MS has stated that Call of Duty and other popular Activision games will be available on competing platforms like Sony's PlayStation. But those commitments are unclear about other subscription or cloud gaming services (we know that Europe is asking about the compatibility and accessibility of Game Pass on rival platforms).

Don't see the issue here, Microsoft aren't #1 in any of those catagories.

2) The availability of other games that are or will be under development, in this case they mention the case of Starfield (we know that the FTC is also looking into the Bethesda acquisition now).

I don't see the issue even if they did make it exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem because that includes PC, Console, Mobile and most devices with a internet connection and web browser and I would say almost everyone would have a device to access it on, considering there are billions of smartphones out there and the TV someone uses to play on their console can most likely in future play the game.

Well they're not giving them away for free, just like Sony pays a fee to stop content from joining other subscriptions and both of them paying 3rd parties a fee to include it in their service.

5) Some long term effects of the acquisition, for example if other subscription and cloud gaming service providers are unable to increase their market shares (because MS has accumulated too much valuable content), and then MS could potentially increase prices (beyond what is reasonable) in the future.

I don't think there is anyway this can be true with how big Sony is compared to Xbox in terms of marketshare and mindshare, their games sell between 10-20M copies, I would argue Sony has way more valuable content then Xbox right now and probably still after the ABK deal if not they would be close.

7) Microsoft's acquisition could reduce the number of potential employers in the video game industry, what is called "Labor market monopsony".

I don't think this is really an issue right now when Ubisoft has 20k staff and a lot of publishers still have tons, not only that staff can leave the company at any time and the market is very in need right now so there will be a lot of open jobs around, at one point xbox game studios had like 600 open positions.

Edit: also to add to this about staff, I think it matters even less when single developers can make games that outshine 300-500 people teams. There are many instances where small indie games have blown up massively with only small teams so the quantity of staff doesn't matter as much imo.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
While all of those are genuine concerns, most of them are the same concerns for any merger or acquisition. None of those are severe enough based upon facts and circumstances to actually block this, and I doubt most people in congress care enough to try and speed up the talked about legislation to block this.

Jul 22, 2022
Anyway, this acquisition will be the most "popular" acquisition among the media community. For a time being šŸ˜†

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
While all of those are genuine concerns, most of them are the same concerns for any merger or acquisition. None of those are severe enough based upon facts and circumstances to actually block this, and I doubt most people in congress care enough to try and speed up the talked about legislation to block this.
Yeah, it's just basic "research" for Congress to use to make legislation. However, the legislation that they're recommending isn't popular and would never pass especially before this deal is supposed to close.

If there was actual concerns about this deal, representatives would be tweeting about it all day.

I wouldn't draw conclusions either way from think tank reports. It'll be years if not decades for anything to come to fruition from their research.
I wouldn't even say it's drawing conclusions. They're a congressional think tank. Meaning they're there to help congress make new laws, which wouldn't affect the current deal under current laws. Most of the bills they're recommending were introduced in early 2021 with very little progress (if any) since then. Specifically the bill that prevents large firms from making acquisitions would never pass. This report, at most, might lead to some congresspeople tweeting about the deal but it doesn't really affect the FTC process. Not saying that the FTC might not bring up some similar claims but just saying they're not connected.

Last edited:

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wouldn't draw conclusions either way from think tank reports. It'll be years if not decades for anything to come to fruition from their research.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
I said this in another thread, but apart from Sekiro on Stadia, ABK content is absent from most cloud streaming platforms (and you can't use GeForce Now to play your owned ABK PC titles). I'm not a legal expert but I'd imagine that Google and Amazon not raising any large objections to the acquisition, the aforementioned absence of said content on cloud platforms, and that ABK content to my knowledge has never been made available on Game Pass/XBLG, are probably fairly sound arguments in defence of anything made in the future being xCloud exclusive insofar as cloud streaming is concerned.

OP
OP
Idas

Idas

Antitrusting By Keyboard
Mar 20, 2022
Thanks for another great thread Idas

Thanks!

I don't get this second point. Like of course there would be a fee? Why would MS give away call of duty for free on ps plus? When they paid to make the product

It's like a telephone company with all the infrastructure that provides access to it to a new competitor (without almost no infrastructure). Obviously, the first company can ask for a fee for all of that, but that fee has to be fair so the new competitor can offer a competitive alternative from a price point of view.

I'd be mindful of taking specific data claims coming from IBISWorld with some extra scrutiny; Their reports don't include the actual dataset or methodology for the vast majority of their data claims, and just as importantly, don't provide full relative ranking sets for many of their standalone claims. When you have outside reports citing their reports, which themselves only cite unspecified "figures", you get a weird game of telephone where credibility can get strained.

This isn't from an institution I have any connection to, but the long-and-short of this FAQ is common to see in higher-ed business programs (notably not just re: IBISWorld):

That's good to know, thanks!

Did MS publicly and legally committed to this or was it a PR move?

Publicly yes, legally no (as far as we know).

Idas I also think its important to know that this is research for Congress to make bills on. It doesn't really affect the current acquisition because they're suggesting future legislation. It's not like a letter to the FTC saying why the acquisition is illegal based on current laws but rather what Congress can pass to prevent acquisitions like this in the future. (Which there is zero percent chance Congress passes the recommended bills)

I know! I don't think those bills that are being mentioned are going to have any effect in this case (if they pass, maybe in the future).

But I thought that some of the concerns being mentioned were quite interesting and probably are going to be part of the analysis by the FTC (or the European Commission). The documents from Brazil were more about the opinions of the industry about the deal and the different perspectives of Sony and Microsoft.

I think that this analysis focus a little bit more on the transaction itself and potential effects on the industry (with the extra focus on the US market).

Jul 26, 2018
Publicly yes, legally no (as far as we know).
yeah, that's my thought. I don't think Phil is the kind of person that would burn Xbox goodwill's for this, but in theory, they could just twist their own words and give everyone the finger. More subtly, they could try to replace CoD with an offspring and have that new game to be Xbox exclusive.

This is actually a great opportunity for Sony and Bungie to develop the next PvP great hit. I think they're the ones in the best position to pull off the next CoD if the competition got too nasty.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
"If Microsoft allows other subscription or cloud gaming services to distribute Activision Blizzard's video games, will they charge these providers a fee to do so, meaning potential competitors could face an additional cost that Microsoft would not?"

Do they not know how all this works?

Most of them are old people, so no they don't.

Jul 22, 2022
yeah, that's my thought. I don't think Phil is the kind of person that would burn Xbox goodwill's for this, but in theory, they could just twist their own words and give everyone the finger. More subtly, they could try to replace CoD with an offspring and have that new game to be Xbox exclusive.
Burn goodwill for what? Aside some twitter fanboys most of the market won't care about the exclusive COD games considering that most of the revenue is coming from F2P games like Warzone 1 and upcoming Warzone 2, F2P zombie mode + COD Mobile.
The very way they speak about COD in legal documents and their words do not imply any type of commitment.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I just want this acquisition to pass so we can be over with this shit. I seriously doubt it's not going to pass, especially with how MS has managed to stay out of the scrutiny META, Google and Apple has faced for years despite being just as big.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Burn goodwill for what? Aside some twitter fanboys most of the market won't care about the exclusive COD games considering that most of the revenue is coming from F2P games like Warzone 1 and upcoming Warzone 2, F2P zombie mode + COD Mobile.
The very way they speak about COD in legal documents and their words do not imply any type of commitment.
It's more about goodwill with the regulators so they don't crack down on future acquisitions. MS has spent the past couple decades rebuilding their rep with the government, they're the nice guy tech company now.
blogs.microsoft.com

Adapting ahead of regulation: a principled approach to app stores - Microsoft On the Issues

Today weā€™re announcing a new set of Open App Store Principles that will apply to the Microsoft Store on Windows and to the next-generation marketplaces we will build for games, in part to address Microsoftā€™s growing role and responsibility as we seek regulatory approval for our acquisition of...
I'm sure they could choose to signal one intention ahead of approval and shift course afterward, but going back on a letter you wrote to regulators probably wouldn't be the best look. Especially considering it's unclear how much MS even WANTS CoD to be exclusive šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
All seems like complete nonsense unless they are going to look at the other companies involved and take action on them all.

Jul 22, 2022
I'm sure they could choose to signal one intention ahead of approval and shift course afterward, but going back on a letter you wrote to regulators probably wouldn't be the best look
Best look for whom? Which regulator will go to the courts to ask Microsoft regarding Warzone 1, Warzone 2, Zombie F2P, COD2022, COD2023 being available on PS and older CODs too but not COD2024? It would be just arguing semantics which won't fly in the court.

That's the very reason why Microsoft is so aggressive in their response to regulators - to avoid any binding statements. Blogpost is not a binding statement, but consent decree is.

What'd they get exposed of pulling?
I was expecting link to 2000s case and was not dissappointed šŸ¤£ It is literally "but Microsoft did RoTR time exclusivity" at this point.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

This is actually a great opportunity for Sony and Bungie to develop the next PvP great hit. I think they're the ones in the best position to pull off the next CoD if the competition got too nasty.

Problem is that to be the actual "Next CoD", you need to offer basically something for all CoD players...

What does your game offer for the Traditional 6v6 MP Folks?
What does your game offer for the Battle Royale Folks?
What does your game offer for the Zombies folks?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Problem is that to be the actual "Next CoD", you need to offer basically something for all CoD players...

What does your game offer for the Traditional 6v6 MP Folks?
What does your game offer for the Battle Royale Folks?
What does your game offer for the Zombies folks?
Sony's claim is that all games compete for gamers' time. So games like Fortnite and Apex Legends are COD competitors.

I was expecting link to 2000s case and was not dissappointed
šŸ¤£
It is literally "but Microsoft did RoTR time exclusivity" at this point.
I honestly was expecting some wild shit that happened recently that I hadn't heard of. Was kind of shocked when that's the response I got.

Jul 22, 2022
Sony's claim is that all games compete for gamers' time. So games like Fortnite and Apex Legends are COD competitors.

I honestly was expecting some wild shit that happened recently that I hadn't heard of. Was kind of shocked when that's the response I got.
Well, Destiny kinda is too but Bungie acquisition went relatively fast without any drama.