• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShadBy

Oct 8, 2023
This is in reference to the launch of the Climate Corps. which AOC was a big proponent of:

View: https://twitter.com/PrernaJagadeesh/status/1782490088884048313

I thought this was pretty cool. Recognition from the highest office that AOC has become a shrewd, effective politician. I used to think she was too controversial to become President but I think this recent reinvention as someone who gets shit done could one day now lead to that.

Climate Corps. website launched today, can apply here!

Home | American Climate Corps

Join the next generation of creators, thinkers, leaders, and doers, working together to tackle the climate crisis. Help build a clean energy and climate-resilient future in your own community and across the nation.

About Climate Corps: https://www.npr.org/2024/04/22/1245979643/biden-earth-day-climate-corps-solar

What's next for the Climate Corps

The president made the announcement in northern Virginia at Prince William Forest Park, which was built by the original Civilian Conservation Corps — a massive jobs program started by former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in the wake of the Great Depression.

The first set of jobs will start in June. Americans will be placed with organizations focused on clean energy and helping communities effected by climate change.

The new website will initially list about 2,000 jobs, located in 36 states as well as Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. The White House plans to update the site regularly with new positions.

For example, among the jobs listed on Monday, there was a 14-week internship paying $15 per hour to learn how to install solar panels in the Philadelphia area, and a 5-month job on a field crew in Utah paying $16.66 per hour removing invasive species from public lands.

Biden said young Americans who take part in the program can also get linked up with training to help land apprenticeship positions through a partnership with the North America's Building Trades Unions. There's also a plan to help people use their new Climate Corps experience to apply for federal government positions.

On Monday, Biden also announced $7 billion in grants for solar panel projects for lower-income communities. The funding comes from the Inflation Reduction Act.

Last edited:

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
User Threadbanned: Derailing discussion, disregarding staff message regarding #US Elections and related threads.
Too bad he doesn't listen to her about Israel committing genocide crimes.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
AOC is doing God's work, hope she inspires more working class progressive people to run for office.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
She's spent the past couple days posting very supportive things about his climate change work. Makes sense he would reciprocate.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
User Threadbanned: Derailing discussion, disregarding staff message regarding #US Elections and related threads.
*except gaza, when she talks about gaza i cover my ears and scream

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
lol sure

wish he listened to her on more than just climate

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Good and he is right.

I still don't see her going for any form of higher office afterwards though, even though I would love to see it.

Jan 20, 2023
increasingly libbed up, centrist, mainstream, very visible politician gets endorsement from somebody with almost the exact same politics

well i never

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better package in a US politician: a dedicated progressive with a great head on her shoulders. Hope our country's future contains a lot of her influence.

OP
OP
ShadBy

ShadBy

Oct 8, 2023
Maybe ask for it being related to Earth Day remarks be added to the title too. Might spare some of the drive bys.
Yeah I overhauled the OP to be more Climate Corps. facing as well, turns out what the remarks were in reference to is arguably more interesting than the remarks themselves!

Can a mod please change thread title to something like, "Climate Corps. Launched, Biden comments on AOC support" or somethin' lol

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
AOC will actually be eligible for the presidency this October. Probably won't be this year obviously, but one day her time will come to run for the highest office. Biden probably sees a lot of her in him when he was a young politician in Washington.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I overhauled the OP to be more Climate Corps. facing as well, turns out what the remarks were in reference to is arguably more interesting than the remarks themselves!

Can a mod please change thread title to something like, "Climate Corps. Launched, Biden comments on AOC support" or somethin' lol
Thanks for doing that! Climate corps is a pretty awesome initiative so the more awareness the better. You should be able to report your OP for a title update request if you'd like one as well.

Oct 31, 2017

/thread

What else needed to be Said beyond this? It must be opposite day for him or something

You guys should probably follow the rules of not changing a non-Israel thread into Israel. Or else perhaps people ought to come into the Israel thread and go, "Who cares? Climate change legislation was finally passed and the president is actually tackling the long term care crisis."

I thought this was about him claiming he listens to AOC, my bad

Might help to read past the title. Then the sarcasm would be warranted.

EDIT: I've been informed there was considerably less information when the thread was first made.

I'll leave my original comments up, but I take them back considering that info.

Last edited:

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So is this him trying to regain some young voters? C'mon man.
Joe Biden was one of the pioneers in Congress on climate change, introducing and passing one of the first bills in Congress back in the 80's. This is Biden working with a climate change leader of a newer generation within the Party.

Is it so impossible to focus on one of a multitude of issues that require Democratic leadership to drive progress and awareness?

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this is kind of shocking to see lol. I never thought I'd see the day of that take.

There really is No True Scotsman.
Yeah I haven't been engaging in a lot of political discourse on Era in the past year so I was genuinely wondering if there was some development I was missing. Hopefully this isn't just the usual lazy insult thrown against any Democrat who is moderately effective at getting anything done.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
AOC will actually be eligible for the presidency this October. Probably won't be this year obviously, but one day her time will come to run for the highest office.
She needs a bit more legislative experience imo but I could see her making a run in 12 years or so. Maybe 8 depending on the winner of the 2028 elections. I would gladly cast a ballot for her

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You guys should probably follow the rules of not changing a non-Israel thread into Israel. Or else perhaps people ought to come into the Israel thread and go, "Who cares? Climate change legislation was finally passed and the president is actually tackling the long term care crisis."

I don't want to defend drivebys but this wasn't a US Politics thread when they posted that, it was mostly about his quote of learning to listen to her.

Dalamar86

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Are voters not allowed to call Biden out without a person saying this BS?

The off-topic brigading is absolutely ruining any discourse on this forum though. We may as well close any political discussion because people are going to enter every thread and drag it down the same drain every time. Bidens been at the forefront of climate change legislature for decades and should be commended for continuing his commitment.

increasingly libbed up, centrist, mainstream, very visible politician gets endorsement from somebody with almost the exact same politics

well i never

Painting AOC this way is absurd. Head in the sand at best or absolutely trolling at worst.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Painting AOC this way is absurd. Head in the sand at best or absolutely trolling at worst.

I really hope so, but I feel she may be too demonized in a similar way to Hilary.
AOC should be president some day but i doubt our system would ever let i happen.

you can see in this thread why AOC has an incredible steep climb. the right has begun to demonize her already, and as she gains power and popularity the left will take it from there and paint her as "too centrist" as it's no longer fashionable to support her. same shit happened with Clinton.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
AOC is young. It's entirely possible that she could be president someday.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
you can see in this thread why AOC has an incredible steep climb. the right has begun to demonize her already, and as she gains power and popularity the left will take it from there and paint her as "too centrist" as it's no longer fashionable to support her. same shit happened with Clinton.
I feel like she'd have to actually be at least close to being centrist for that, which she is not. She is quite far left compared to your average democrat.