• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

The National Park Service is diverting nearly $2.5 million in entrance and recreation fees primarily intended to improve parks across the country to cover costs associated with President Trump's Independence Day celebration Thursday on the Mall, according to two individuals familiar with the arrangement.

Trump administration officials have consistently refused to say how much taxpayers will have to pay for the expanded celebration on the Mall this year, which the president has dubbed the "Salute to America." The two individuals, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, confirmed the transfer of the Park Service funds Tuesday.

The diverted park fees represent just a fraction of the extra costs the government faces as a result of the event, which will include displays of military hardware, flyovers by an array of jets including Air Force One, the deployment of tanks on the Mall and an extended pyrotechnics show. By comparison, according to former Park Service deputy director Denis P. Galvin, the entire Fourth of July celebration on the Mall typically costs the agency about $2 million.

Even as some critics questioned the White House's handling of access to the Lincoln Memorial, officials from the Pentagon and the Interior Department were scrambling to transform Trump's vision of an elaborate military and pyrotechnics display into reality.

Two Abrams tanks, two Bradley Fighting Vehicles and an M88 recovery vehicle sat on train tracks in Southeast Washington on Tuesday, destined for the Mall. Administration officials were finalizing aspects of Thursday's schedule, according to a senior White House official, including a plan to have one of the planes in Air Force One's fleet zoom overhead as Trump takes the stage.

Separately, according to two individuals familiar with the matter, the White House was negotiating with Park Service officials over whether to project an image from the 1969 Apollo 11 moon mission onto the Washington Monument for the event. Typically the agency does not allow projected images on monuments or historic structures, on the grounds that they should be preserved in their original form.

By tapping entrance fees to cover the presidential event, Interior is siphoning money that is typically used to enhance the visitor experience either on the Mall or at smaller parks across the country, with projects ranging from road and bridge repair to habitat restoration. The transfer amounts to nearly 5 percent of the funds that less-profitable parks used last year for upgrades, according to budget documents.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
What a fucking joke.

Why doesn't he pay for it out of his own fucking pocket book, oh wait, I forgot, he's a fucking hack who doesn't have the amount of money he claims he does.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Teddy Roosevelt would be pissed. The only reason he would divert money from the NPS like this would be for a holiday boxing match, which would be both way cooler than this stupid stunt and way cheaper, and even then he probably wouldn't do it

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Remember, this is AFTER our nation's parks have had money issues stemming from recovery from him shutting the government down.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
His temper tantrum shutdown hurt a lot of national parks too. He's like a Captain Planet villain come to life.

Yeah, my uncle is a Park ranger and the shutdown was basically a huge disaster... people were doing volunteer shifts (nearly all staff were furloughed) to prevent looting, destruction, etc.

This parade is such a joke, we're living in a parody of America right now

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone needs to make one of those inflatable baby ballons of him but without the diaper and a microscopic dick, and then everyone brings magnifying glasses to look though at it.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't they pull resources from an area where doing so wouldn't matter all that much like the defence budget?

"Oh shit, we have to reduce the armament for a drone by a few missiles. What are we ever going to do?!"

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
"Limiting public access to a public monument on Independence Day in favor of wealthy donors just sends a signal that our political system favors the wealthy and well-connected," he said.

Since federal appropriations law prohibits using public money for political purposes, Fischer noted, the issue will depend on what Trump says in his speech. If he refers to some of the 2020 presidential hopefuls, or polling related to the race, Trump's reelection campaign may be required to reimburse the U.S. Treasury.

"The content of the event, and the nature of the event, is probably the determining factor," as opposed to donors getting to see Trump up close, he said.
Somehow this will be a non-issue for Trump.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Still not as bad as when Bush took home land security funds from DC for his second inauguration celebration.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I thought we didn't have money needed to make sure the kids we are caging up in the concentration camps had toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, etc?

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I though he would just make a pyramid out of bigmacs on the mall or something.

Instead we got fuck you tanks.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Remember this?

trump-salary-national-park-service.jpg

You'd think a "billionaire" that donated $78k to the National Parks would be able to fund his own event.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
From the same pieces of shit that claim that there's not enough money for healthcare and the like.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sickeningly analogous to the country's budget for the military vs environmental preservation.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
The party of fiscal conservatism ladies and gents. Actually since it's been established time and time again that is bullshit, I feel like there's not many more legitimate excuses for being in that party other than the racism and hate *ahem* I mean social conservative aspects. That's the euphemism they use, right?

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
How is that the place to take money from and not the military budget? Why of all places would you take money from our national parks?

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Remember this?

trump-salary-national-park-service.jpg

You'd think a "billionaire" that donated $78k to the National Parks would be able to fund his own event.
Man, that look. The look of I'm going to take this check, but I hate everyone I'm standing next to.

That's probably what his 'people' told him, and because he's a fucking moron he likely didn't think about it any further.
No, that's the lie he told himself, because he lives in a world of his own self fabricated delusions.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Serious question: is there any indication this is a racket or grift? Which outside organizations with ties to the White House staff are profiting from the money that's siphoned off?

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Well, according to him, all we need for forest management is a bunch of people with rakes, so I guess this can't hurt much.

/s