• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

If it sounds familiar, Star Trek DS9 called this back in the 90s. And the episode was set in 2024.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is more than enough housing available to house the homeless. It's just all in the hands of landlords and flippers.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can we round up all the republicans and put them in cages indefinitely instead?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
under nearly any other administration I'd think this could be OK

like yeah, giving the homeless a proper residence and food and healthcare and whatnot could help them out a lot

but I don't think that's what this administration has in mind

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Oh shit. The only way to stop this from happening is to make sure it's adequately funded once it does.

Oct 31, 2017
My first two reactions to reading this topic line:

"Of course he does"

and

"Just like that Deep Space Nine Episode"

Oct 25, 2017
under nearly any other administration I'd think this could be OK

like yeah, giving the homeless a proper residence and food and healthcare and whatnot could help them out a lot

but I don't think that's what this administration has in mind

States already have these kind of programs and places for them to go. SF also at one point had a bunch of SRO but they're all but gone thanks to the housing boom

A federal plan for this would just be some form of jail.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
States already have these kind of programs and places for them to go. SF also at one point had a bunch of SRO but they're all but gone thanks to the housing boom

A federal plan for this would just be some form of jail.
yeah it would be better to just invest into more local state-run facilities

SbnaS

Sep 3, 2018
Citations needed two most recent podcasts cover this topic. I highly recommend listening to them.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Start with immigrants because they're illegal, move on to the homeless because they're a nuisance, soon we'll be relocating the mentally disabled, then, before you know it, they'll move on to political enemies and we'll be blaming Democrats.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So when do people stop saying I am the problem because I keep saying the Dems do nothing and we need to take more action?

Like it or not we're getting to the "there was no one left when they came for me stage" and everyone still sitting on their asses.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i can see them trying t o charge homeless people rent like that one place that wanted to charge people to be in jail

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is like summer camp where you can't just leave. Except it is all year around and you are an adult.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
People are misreading the story. By "government backed facilities" he means the Govt paying him $1,000 a night for each person to stay at one of his failing hotels.

real2

Jan 31, 2019
The fact that there are concentration camps on US soil is a travesty. The GOP don't give a flying fuck though.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The thread title is a bit much. If they're able to come and go as they wish, that isn't a concentration camp.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how automation and globalization will disrupt our current economic realities, and make it next to impossible for a large set of the population to have any kind of work that could pay them a living wage, that's a pretty interesting take on a possible 21st century history. It's fairly nuanced, too, it doesn't portray the society as outright evil, just uncaring. They don't know what else to do with those people, but are unwilling to change the way their society works.

God I love DS9. Miss it too. Wish we had Sci-Fi shows on that level today.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
These are the $1200 bunk beds in San Francisco.
That's 1200 per month.

Honestly they kind of look like cozy for folks living a transient life or on a temporary basis. Whether it is worth $1200 though... I would probably go insane if I had live like that for years at a time.

You're joking, but people are trying to make this an actual thing

It already is an actual thing. Hong Kong has the worst and good rendition of that model. So does Japan (if Hitman taught me anything). So it is not surprising at all.

Makai

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck are you going to solve homelessness if you think free housing = concentration camps? The plan isn't to round them up for execution.