• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
States already have these kind of programs and places for them to go. SF also at one point had a bunch of SRO but they're all but gone thanks to the housing boom

A federal plan for this would just be some form of jail.

Hey, prisons can be quite profitable. The trick is getting them populated without flagrantly violating peoples' rights. The war on drugs worked great for that, but maybe now we need some new ideas. Most people don't really care about the homeless, so it's not irrational. Cruel and inhumane, sure, but not irrational.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be ridiculous. They're going to live in a farm upstate.
source.gif

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Citations needed two most recent podcasts cover this topic. I highly recommend listening to them.
It's more about how shitty the media's coverage of homeless people is, but yes it's a good breakdown of what's wrong with how we view homelessness in this country.

The fact that this is even being talked about is barbaric. If it was the federal government coming in and building actual housing for the homeless that would be different, but we all know it's not going to be that.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'm starting to think that the Suicide Booth is going to be a real thing in the near future...what the actual fuck.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Could you even fuck in one of those pod things? It would give me flashbacks to being a teenager on the bottom bunk.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
When I first heard about this in the news the first thing that came to my mind was that DS9 episode lol.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I saw a group of homeless kids the other day that all had Cell Phones. Strange world we are living in.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck are you going to solve homelessness if you think free housing = concentration camps? The plan isn't to round them up for execution.

His advisor on homelessness isn't an affordable housing or homeless provider expert, it's Rudy Giuliani. And they've proposed steep cuts to federal rental assistance every year. And they've locked children up in concentration camps separated from their families. Why give them the benefit of the doubt?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
And of course, the theater is in focusing on the homeless in California, as if this is solely a blue state phenomenon...

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Remember that article that was posted a few months back about how successful a pilot program to solve homelessness was, and the solution was pretty simple too: give people homes, don't put up unnecessary barriers and restrictions, support them in rebuilding their lives.

As with all social programs there were a bunch of upset people raging about how impossible it would be to pay for this solution, then it turned out to be cheaper than the estimated current cost per homeless person because as expected a large number of permanent homeless people isn't cheap for the state.

Just like education, just like healthcare, it's always fucking cheaper and better for society to properly solve these problems, but someone out there stands to make a buck keeping the status quo either as a political boogeyman or literally selling these services so nothing will change.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember that article that was posted a few months back about how successful a pilot program to solve homelessness was, and the solution was pretty simple too: give people homes, don't put up unnecessary barriers and restrictions, support them in rebuilding their lives.

As with all social programs there were a bunch of upset people raging about how impossible it would be to pay for this solution, then it turned out to be cheaper than the estimated current cost per homeless person because as expected a large number of permanent homeless people isn't cheap for the state.

Just like education, just like healthcare, it's always fucking cheaper and better for society to properly solve these problems, but someone out there stands to make a buck keeping the status quo either as a political boogeyman or literally selling these services so nothing will change.
It's really just hatred of the poor, a complete and total lack of empathy.

Oct 25, 2017
His advisor on homelessness isn't an affordable housing or homeless provider expert, it's Rudy Giuliani. And they've proposed steep cuts to federal rental assistance every year. And they've locked children up in concentration camps separated from their families. Why give them the benefit of the doubt?

Oh Rudy is involved? Welp we know that will go only one way. A national no broken window campaign

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
We shouldn't—but we shouldn't make up stuff either.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
We have SROs in Vancouver but homeless choose to sleep in tents in a downtown park because they're safer and cleaner.

The existing facilities are rife with bed bugs, mould and drug users.

Even if these facilities exist, they're often horrible

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I called it. Fuck me, I wish I wasn't right.

Yep.

Since we know Putin won't allow him to do anything to IRan/Syria, etc...

We're about to focus on state problems, easy wins like homeless. No one likes homeless people. This is gunna be a bit of a dreadful slam dunk for his base, and frankly, a lot of liberal NIMBYS.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Wtf are you implying with this exactly? Some of them have cars too. Where they sleep. Because they are homeless.
You can get a free cell phone with a certain number of minutes/texts if you make under a certain amount of
money. Not sure if this is a Washington exclusive thing or not.

Oof I messed up the multi quote. Was responding to the person you quoted, as well as you.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Ya know what really upsets me also is that his fanbase is gonna claim "WELL IT'S NOT A CONCENTRATION CAMP! THEY RE NOT KILLING PEOPLE THERE LIKE THE NAZIS DID!"

Except ya know...a group of people locked up in one area..a CONCENTRATION of people! That's exactly what a CCamp is! We had them back in WW2 where we locked up Japanese and Japanese Americans!

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can get a free cell phone with a certain number of minutes/texts if you make under a certain amount of
money. Not sure if this is a Washington exclusive thing or not.

Oof I messed up the multi quote. Was responding to the person you quoted, as well as you.
It's OK, the whole point is that homeless people having phones is not weird or somehow invalidating their need.