• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Until there's a fundamental basis with which to project power, this branch is as useless as a navy without boats, an air force with no planes, or an army without guns.
Just wheel out the anti-grav prototypes already, even if they do give ball-cancer to every town they fly over.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
So, why is this necessary when the Navy and other branches could study and practice space military stuff?

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
What's the point of camo for a space force... soldier?
That's the uniform for the Space Force staff in land. They will move with other military staff and therefore need that uniform.

I don't think the US is gonna be putting any military in actual space anytime soon. So while yeah, that uniform at first seems hilarious for the space force, it kinda makes sense. It's about the only thing that makes sense out of all this ordeal.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is certainly confusing, the U.S. Space Force is stated to be "the newest branch of the Armed Forces – like the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines":

Q: What happened to Air Force Space Command?
A: The organization, Air Force Space Command, was redesignated as the U.S. Space Force.

Q: What is the difference between the U.S. Space Force and U.S. Space Command?
A: The USSF is the newest branch of the Armed Forces – like the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines – that is responsible for organizing, training, and equipping forces for the space domain. U.S. Space Command (USSPACECOM) is the newest of eleven different Combatant Commands responsible for planning and conducting all military operations in a specific geographic or functional area or domain – in this case, the space domain.

However, the careers link on the U.S. Space Force page brings you to career listings for space on the U.S. Air Force website:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
... can Paramount sue? It's literally their logo.
Things being named after/inspired by Star Trek used to be fun until the people doing it were the antithesis of what Trek stands for.

Can the next Dem get rid of this "branch"? Its the most pathetic money sucking thing in the government.

Small government party my ass.

Just dump its funding into NASA.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get what the outfit is for at all, no one would be wearing that in space. Are they even going to space? whats the point of any of this again?
No one in the Space Force is intended to go to space. Trump isn't making space marines here.

The uniform is the same camo pattern as the other branches because it would be wasteful and stupid to create a new uniform for a branch that is basically just a different unit in the Air Force.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm praying that this project will end up undermined, sabotaged, or otherwise canned. Keep the United States out of outer space.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems fairly apt for this useless incompetent administration that they'd copy something that has existed for 60 years but make a worse version of it.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Seems fairly apt for this useless incompetent administration that they'd copy something that has existed for 60 years but make a worse version of it.
I love to dunk on Trump Admin stupidity as much as everyone else, but to be fair, you have to admit the Starfleet logo drew at least some inspiration from the NASA logo.

jttYROX.jpg

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Air Force is just biding its time waiting for Trump to go away. They know Space Force isn't sticking around long term. If anything it will be a 150 billion dollars that could have been used in more useful things blown to satisfy Trumps ego. Navy struggles to build replacement Destroyers etc. for 40+ year old ships due to funds but we can blow all this on Space force

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With these guys, they were always going to mess it up, but I'm just relieved it's not based on some Nazi or Crusader iconography.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to believe Trump would ever greenlight Star Trek over the Imperial Navy.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is certainly confusing, the U.S. Space Force is stated to be "the newest branch of the Armed Forces – like the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines":

However, the careers link on the U.S. Space Force page brings you to career listings for space on the U.S. Air Force website:

"Look, it's a fucking stupid idea but we're just renaming Space Command and acting like it's a new branch because the dumbass CiC is obsessed. Just play along"
That's what those two question and answers on the site read like.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about the current administration is a fucking joke. They were too lazy to come up with an original logo- Trump obviously knows nothing about Trek so he just signed off on it.

What a fucking disgrace.

I hope The Roddenberry estate sues the current administration.

this is really bothering you

Nov 8, 2017

100% of the people involved will be based on earth for the foreseeable future. Even once they eventually put some people in orbit on a semi permanent basis, 99.999% of the personnel will be on the ground or sea. The air force and navy both also have camo uniforms.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a nonsense distraction from the impeachment proceedings. Don't fall for it. His team knows exactly what they're doing.

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a basic Army/Air Force uniform with Space Force patches.

However it will also eventually be a personally representative look
like when the Army picked a pos camo and wanted it as their visual identity
414px-Army_Combat_Uniform.jpg

The US Marines for example backed out of uniform tests and made their choice when their choice was chosen as one of the better options they tried to legally block the US Army from using it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Oh, so it's just the Air Force which already had a Space Command since the 80s. The military basically let this fat old baby rename an existing thing so he could feel like he did something.

Last edited:

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It's weirdly plain and significantly less stylish than the Star Trek logo.
Give it time! The Star Command we're familiar with has presumably been established for quite a while to be able to have intergalactic starships. This is just the first version of that logo and over time it'll be redesigned and modernized until it becomes the one from the show AKA recordings of our actual future sent back through time for us to learn from.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with being aspirational - though it helps to know what you're aspiring to.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There was always going to be one eventually. Is it needed now? No. But it is inevitable.

This is why Trump pushed for it. He knows it won't go away and it suits his insatiable vanity to be the President who created it.
Great, let's jump start an arms race in space. He doesn't know shit dude. Fucker saw a clip of Starship Troopers and got a boner

Window

Oct 27, 2017
They showed them last week

Earth camo for the space force? Makes sense.

That's the uniform for the Space Force staff in land. They will move with other military staff and therefore need that uniform.

I don't think the US is gonna be putting any military in actual space anytime soon. So while yeah, that uniform at first seems hilarious for the space force, it kinda makes sense. It's about the only thing that makes sense out of all this ordeal.
Are the Space Force forces going to be engaging in land action at all though? I can't think of a situation where they would.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it does look similar to the Star Fleet logo, but that style of "arrow" has been on a lot of Air Force stuff for a few decades. The old Maintenance occupational badge that I wore had an eagle holding a bomb in one talon and that exact style of arrow or chevron (never knew what it was or represented) in the other talon, and I think that badge was created in the early 90's.

It's still a completely unnecessary logo for a completely unnecessary new branch though. The Air Force was doing pretty well handling space shit without needing to spin Space Command off into its own thing. What a waste of money...

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I'm sure Trump will sooner or later realize that he misheard Space Force as Spice Force and that it won't be a military branch concerned with bringing KFC's 11 secret spices to every kind of food. Then he'll quickly loose interest.