• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Have you ever watched someone stream on Twitch and then have a fail? You'll see the chat immediately fill with

"F
F
F
F
F"

etc etc

Advanced Warfare (the game with the mindnumbingly stupid "Press F to Pay Respects") came out four years ago and this hilariously bad scene became a meme instantly. However, unlike most memes, this has somehow stuck around for years and years and shows no sign of declining in popularity.

The scene, of course, was legendarily bad and was the closest gaming ever got to the much theorized and laughed about "Press X to feel emotion" that was snarked about as a possibility in the late 2000s and early 2010s. But how bad does a scene have to be to have it become a meme and how bad does it have to be to be such a long lasting meme? Or does the badness not determine how long-lasting the meme is but other factors? What memes other than this and "All Your Base" and the dumb "The Cake is a Lie" thing have managed to last for years and years?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
B7rtMsNCQAEcJrN.png:large

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i wish there was a way to find geeks and gamers n this thread

Y5jEx.jpg

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Typically the best gaming memes either were already set and are grandfathered in like "All your base" or "You were almost a Jill Sandwich" or have some sort of easy use that never feels overplayed.

Saying "F to pay respects" is quick and easy to the point. The same with "They played us like damn fiddle".

A bad video game meme is something with no real use outside a bad punchline. AKA "I took an arrow to the knee"
Which was the equivalent of your friend telling one joke to everyone and praying someone would laugh at it.

bb1f3f018757eb199faea6e6f8d7166f504175155a173ed6ece8aae367441a36.jpg

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Horse Armor
Hay stopping any and all momentum in Assasin's Creed no matter how high the jump is
Everyone ends up as a Stealth Archer in Skyrim
Plesioth hitbox

T-Min

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
Do a barrel roll still gets referenced out the ass. In the Star Fox series itself, no less. Much to my chagrin.

Maybe Falcon Punch as well?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I think Press F to pay respects stuck around because it's simple and can be used in a lot of situations. It's basically become a synonym for "RIP."

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My fiancé, friends and I regularly shout "WHOOOOOOOO" at each other. Just an incredibly dumb line and a terrible delivery.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That arrow to the knee was awful. Can't believe people actually posted it thinking it was remotely amusing.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People actually type F when someone/a celebrity dies. Like unironically. You see it with the RIPs...

I honestly don't know what to think of that.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Typically the best gaming memes either were already set and are grandfathered in like "All your base" or "You were almost a Jill Sandwich" or have some sort of easy use that never feels overplayed.

Saying "F to pay respects" is quick and easy to the point. The same with "They played us like damn fiddle".

A bad video game meme is something with no real use outside a bad punchline. AKA "I took an arrow to the knee"
Which was the equivalent of your friend telling one joke to everyone and praying someone would laugh at it.

bb1f3f018757eb199faea6e6f8d7166f504175155a173ed6ece8aae367441a36.jpg

Warning loud cursing

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm Sonic, Sanic the hedgehog or more gold required.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Sad thing about that scene in AW is that it's an otherwise very well done scene. Military shooters, and Call of Duty especially, so rarely address the mortality of war, which makes everything that happens there quite melancholy... if not for the fact that there's a big 'ol QTE smack-dab in the middle of it all. If the interaction in the level had been to walk forward instead of pressing F, I don't think it would've been nearly as stupid.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Press F to pay respect is one of the few gaming memes that I can actually see surviving in the long haul. For live stream audiences it is the perfect meme. it take one button press to do and because its use is frequent everyone is still aware of it thus giving it more life. And since people still keep spamming it more and more people look up what the joke is and learn about it.