• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017
MY FIGHT MONEY!!! was fun for a while until SFV made that a real concern for the player.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
18j48weujcgewjpg8zs8i.jpg

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tak Fuji is a walking meme.
"One million troops."
"XTREEEME"
"You will be sucked"

Other than that:
My body is ready
Giant enemy crab

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "press F to pay respects" thing always felt like a really dumb meme.

I'm not saying that scene was well handled, and the criticisms are legit, but the way it blew up always felt a little stupid. There's tons of stuff like that in other video games, it's just when Call of Duty does it, people tend to throw out tons of hyperbole.

What's funny is that Arkham Knight had literally the exact same thing the next year "Press [button] to pay respects."

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is that Arkham Knight had literally the exact same thing the next year "Press [button] to pay respects."
Wasn't it Arkham City (released 3 years earlier) that had the spot where Bruce's parents got murdered offer "press X to pay your respects"?

Also, the difference here is that while in Arkham Knight, it's almost an Easter Egg in a massive open world, while in Call of Duty it's a silly button prompt in what is basically a first person ingame cinematic.
Also, as Batman you could not kneel down and 'pay your respects' - it was an actual option.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't it Arkham City (released 3 years earlier) that had the spot where Bruce's parents got murdered offer "press X to pay your respects"?

Also, the difference here is that while in Arkham Knight, it's almost an Easter Egg in a massive open world, while in Call of Duty it's a silly button prompt in what is basically a first person ingame cinematic.
Also, as Batman you could not kneel down and 'pay your respects' - it was an actual option.

I don't think the difference of it being cinematic or an option really matters. The end result is that your summarizing emotions with a simple button prompt. It's still the same stupid thing.

Again though, lots of games do this. People decided to swarm on Call of Duty for this fault, because memes.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Until e3 2018 ridley is too big meme fell into this category, but now it's a dead meme

F

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... I don't think "Press F to Pay Respects" falls into this category.

I mean, it's like one degree away from "Press X to feel emotion"

Loss is in the same category as "Press F to Pay Respects." People will make fun of a product a lot if it tries to be very emotional and deep and fails entirely at it.

I've never seen Loss used in relation to that though. Loss memes usually come up with the structure of the comic (the lines), when miscarriage is being discussed in a video game-focused site (for whatever reason), or when people are talking about shitty comics.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to describe why "press F to pay respects" is such a meme. I think a part of it is that it is a line of text telling you what to do rather than finding a way to make it an engaging roleplaying moment or just having the character do it automatically.
It's also that the CoD series is generally a laughably shallow rootin' tootin' shootin' series that has you just pump bullets into lots of people for three hours of a bad story then off to multiplayer. A QTE to touch a coffin comes off as a hilariously bad attempt to seem "deep" or "emotional" and winds up summarizing the series' approach to story as a whole.

iidx

Oct 28, 2017
Press X to pay Respect, in DJ MAX Respect now makes more sense to me. Thanks ERA!

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
It very much does. It's not the game's fault if the audience refuses to meet it in the middle. Every major interaction in most Call of Duty games is "Press F to <insert action>." Whether it's opening a door or shooting your best friend in the face to preserve your cover. When everyone's favorite dog Riley from Call of Duty Ghosts got shot, you pressed F to pick him up and carry him. The prompt, like most of the series, was "Press F to Action X".

This is a very common design trait across the story-driven FPS genre as a whole. What underpins it is that you don't want the protagonist performing significant actions without the player's prompting. This is something the "everything should be a non-interactive cutscene" contingent don't grasp. In Bioshock: Infinite, Booker is the player, and the player is Booker. In Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Mitchell is the player, and the player is Mitchell. These actions large and small make the player responsible for the protagonist's actions and punctuate their character development. In Call of Duty: WWII, there's a scene where you carry a little kid. There isn't a prompt to pick up the kid, but there's a prompt to open the closet where she's hiding. What this does is ensure the player presses F to rescue kid in some form. You don't want a cutscene triggering where the player rescues the kid unprompted. You want as many actions as possible to be triggered by the player directly. This is cornerstone of the story-driven FPS stuff here.
bioshockbaptism57suh.jpg

Paying your respects is what normal, well adjusted people do at funerals, regardless of whether they feel any genuine sorrow. It's not the game's fault if its audience is determined to be misanthropic. It's not like Sledgehammer did anything wrong with the introduction, the characters, the setting, or anything like that. Everything leading up to the funeral is fantastically written and acted. The "John Wick cries because he has a puppy scene" was early in the movie. If John Wick were a game, the game might feature a prompt where you look at the puppy and a prompt appears saying, "Press F to pick up Puppy."

You can alleviate this slightly by giving the player a choice. Press F to pay respects + Press C to walk away. Press F to pick up the puppy + Press C to kick the puppy. But ultimately the problem is entirely the audience, not the game itself. Some audiences simply refuse to meet emotionally sincere games in the middle because they have some kind of hangup that the game is powerless to rectify without compromising its underlying intent. This seems particularly common with violent games. FPS and TPS. Games that attempt to be emotionally nuanced but they have an audience that just wants to kill stuff. This is a different problem to people memeing lines that have genuinely bad line delivery.

If we're taking a broader view, literally every important character interaction in, say, a Telltale game falls into this category. If The Walking Dead were an FPS game, it would have a prompt like "Press F to trust." and "Press C to tie him up."
361074048udshp.jpg
I feel like this post is a meme

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Has the Battletoads Gamestop pre-order been posted yet? Those were always fun.

Also knocking over the magazine rack at Gamestop is an old site favorite.

and of course:

yngJF.jpg

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
EverQuest 1 was ground zero for so much video game vernacular that is used today.

Pulling
Inc
Brb
Afk
Mob
Tank
Kk
Train
Nuke
Dot
Kiting
PK

The list goes on and on

Almost none of those cam from Everquest btw. They all originated in the online MUDs that Everquest was based off. In particular, DikuMud (which is basically text based Everquest).The big leap Everquest made was turning these ropey text game into a fully 3d game.

Bionet

Oct 25, 2017
It's also that the CoD series is generally a laughably shallow rootin' tootin' shootin' series that has you just pump bullets into lots of people for three hours of a bad story then off to multiplayer. A QTE to touch a coffin comes off as a hilariously bad attempt to seem "deep" or "emotional" and winds up summarizing the series' approach to story as a whole.
And then suddenly when a CoD game doesn't have a campaign these same people who always complain about how CoD shouldn't waste time on a campaign suddenly go "WTF where's the campaign boycotting now!"

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CoD games have some of the best writing and acting in the videogame medium. Some games are better than others, obviously. But generally they're excellent. They should be considering the best talent in the industry is recruited to make them. Just look at how closely Infinity Ward worked with Brian Bloom for Infinite Warfare. The problem with CoD has long been the audience it attracted and fostered. The games themselves are not "shallow" in any sense that Naughty Dog gamea aren't.
And then suddenly when a CoD game doesn't have a campaign these same people who always complain about how CoD shouldn't waste time on a campaign suddenly go "WTF where's the campaign boycotting now!"
Are you really surprised that people who think Black Ops and Black Ops 2 are two of the finest FPS games ever made aren't keen on a new Black Ops without an incredible campaign? CoD sells bazillions every year to a wide demographic. Some love the campaigns, some don't. Since several million people play and finish CoD campaigns every year, that's several million people who are less interested in Black Ops 4. I won't be buying the game, personally.
Are they really? I had no idea

How is Syndicate 2012? Worth a play?
The bloom is like acid in your eyes and the mod to remove it on PC is unstable. Otherwise it's a very good, if blatantly troubled game.

SleepySlippy

Nov 19, 2017
I did'n play any CoD game, but IMHO the "Press F to Pay Respects" thing has a lot to do with the formulation. "Press F to ..." has a similar effect as "Hold your controller and press the button" would. It reminds the player that he/she is sitting before his/her screen and playing a video game. Add it to the fact that paying respects is not a common action in the game, and the willing suspension of disbelief is utterly slain, which results in an absolute disaster when it occurs during a tragic scene. It would have been less meme inducing if the phrase had been formulated in a more discreet way, like :
[F] Pay Respects

Of course, I'm not saying it is the only explanation. In Arkham City, the Pay Your Respects prompt is working way better because the player is given the choice to do it or not.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I've since replaced saying R.I.P with actually just saying RIP, due to that one daft line in Human Revolution. I love Elias Toufexis but he must be kicking himself over it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

This is the only one that i use in real life because you dont need to understand crap about videogames to be a funny phrase about exageration.
In fact I used it 2 weeks ago after riding Taron at Phantasialand for the first time (thats is fucking amazing btw) and non videogames fans laughed.