• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
2024-toyota-land-cruiser-153-6616f44b314b3.jpg

Toyota's been selling the Land Cruiser in North America since 1958, and there's an all-new 4Runner on the way. Can a re-engineered FJ Cruiser be far behind? For now, it's the 2024 Land Cruiser in the spotlight after a three-year hiatus and having been fully redesigned for the US market for the first time since 2008.

The previous-generation J-200 Land Cruiser was a low-volume offering, never cracking 4000 units annually in the US, partly due to the restrictive pricetag starting above $85,000.

But Toyota bosses have hatched a strategy that could crank up Land Cruiser sales: They cut the base price $30,000.

Much has been said about the death and rebirth of the Toyota Land Cruiser, which left the U.S. market after the 2020–21 Heritage Edition. But it was all a ruse, a necessary step in a model realignment that Toyota's North American arm had planned all along. Instead of moving in lockstep with the rest of the world to the new 300-series Cruiser chassis, Toyota Motor North America hit pause and waited until the closely related 250-series chassis was ready. From what we now know and have experienced, the collective internet hand-wringing over the move to the so-called Land Cruiser Prado configuration (as it is known worldwide) is woefully misplaced. The new 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser is the best Land Cruiser in years because of this change.

For proof, all you need do is look at the Lexus LX600, a bloated and expensive six-figure behemoth (the base model you'll never see is $93,915; all other trims exceed $100,000) that is the Lexus interpretation of the global 300-series Land Cruiser. A similar fate would have defined the Land Cruiser if it had adopted the 300-series and succeeded a model that already had a base price of $87,030 back in 2021. Instead, the 2024 Land Cruiser represents a change the faithful have been demanding. It has tidier dimensions and an attainable price of just $57,345 for the base 1958 model (so-named for the nameplate's North American debut year), while the nicely equipped volume-selling Land Cruiser grade is a reasonable $63,345. The First Edition, a limited-time-only model with exclusive bits, will set eager beavers back $76,345.

The Land Cruiser does not use the twin-turbocharged 3.4-liter V-6 found in the LX and GX, nor does it employ their 10-speed automatic. Instead, it's powered by Toyota's i-Force Max hybrid powertrain, consisting of a turbocharged 2.4-liter inline-four with a potent electric motor sandwiched between it and a conventional eight-speed automatic. A Tacoma TRD Off-Road with the 278-hp turbo four sans electric boost impressed us mightily, but the added Max e-motor cranks the Cruiser's output up to 326 horsepower and 465 pound-feet—the latter representing more torque than any prior North American Land Cruiser. It's the same engine that powers the TRD Pro and Trailhunter Tacomas, and the abundant torque was on full display as we barreled up freeway off-ramps or sauntered up steep off-road climbs that might've needed the torque multiplication of low range in prior years but didn't here.

If you're thinking the i-Force Max makes the new Cruiser some kind of ersatz Prius, think again. The Max is not like a two-motor Toyota hybrid designed to maximize fuel economy. Instead, it's engineered to bolster output. That said, fuel economy will improve any time you can recapture energy while slowing and redeploy it later because the electric motor's supplemental power is paid out even if you're taking it easy. As a result, the new Land Cruiser is EPA rated to deliver 23 mpg combined (22 city/25 highway), a massive 64 percent improvement over the old 5.7-liter V-8's 14 mpg combined rating.

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-154-6616f44b3ad3a.jpg

2024-land-cruiser-heritageblue-018-661d72b6aca4a.jpg

2024-land-cruiser-heritageblue-219-661d72bdc8489.jpg

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-163-6616f44fdacec.jpg

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-173-6616f4585da7f.jpg

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-java-012-661d72fe092de.jpg

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-java-011-661d7306f2695.jpg

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-1958-meteorshower-323-661d72f5b8460.jpg

2024-land-cruiser-first-edition-traildust-003-661d729dde542.jpg

2024-land-cruiser-first-edition-traildust-002-661d729d77e61.jpg

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-1958-meteorshower-012-661d72cba2e9b.jpg

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-1958-meteorshower-212-661d72d6350de.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J__tmLYpSCE&pp=ygUYdG95b3RhIGxhbmQgY3J1aXNlciAyMDI0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byZXdris2Bo&t=99s&pp=ygUYdG95b3RhIGxhbmQgY3J1aXNlciAyMDI0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDcOOoDqcto

View: https://youtu.be/uKN3juirnFw?si=eU7fL4W0gEBRhSOC

Last edited:

DasRavenEra

Oct 27, 2017
RDU
Without the "25-year duty cycle" intention, I'd rather have the 4Runner TRD Pro. Especially for the price difference.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The console is surprisingly old school in its looks. Love me some physical buttons over touch screen shenanigans

DasRavenEra

Oct 27, 2017
RDU
The concept that the Land Cruiser since the 90s (J80) has been built to a different durability standard than other normal vehicles.
Whereas most are built to reliably last 10 years, the Land Cruiser was always suggested to be built to last 25. That is born out by many real world experiences in incredibly harsh environments.

This new one is not expected to have that durability. Which isn't to say it'll be bad, but it is basically a boxy 4Runner now. And a 4Runner with all the same kit is less expensive and some will have more off-road capability.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
Looks good but at that price I'd go for a Bronco instead if I wanted an off-road capable vehicle.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, can't wait to haul some groceries in this mofo.

I also don't think Toyota gets enough credit for *having buttons*. Like look at all of those physical switches and buttons in there, it's a thing of beauty.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Love the boxiness, we've had Land Cruisers in the extended family and love them, but way overkill in capability for what we do with our wagon.

Oct 25, 2017
I would be hard pressed to buy this over a new TRD Pro 4Runner or the new GX. Both offer more in the same price range. Seems like you are just paying for the Land Cruiser name and not anything to make it more offroad worthy vs the other two.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think between this and the GX, these are the only big cars I'd ever consider owning in some future. Doubt it'll happen.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I want data to prove to me otherwise that less than .1% (yes less than 1%) ever goes off-road. It's marketing a fantasy. I'm so glad I'm dumping my SUV next vehicle.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
Really like the styling but the base price starting at $61k for the trim above the heritage and you're already into the 4Runner trd pro price range with better off-road capabilities.

But as another poster has stated most of these are going to be mall crawlers or pavement princesses.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toyota is crushing these recent redesigns. This looks really nice even if it's way too big for 95% of Americans.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I want data to prove to me otherwise that less than .1% (yes less than 1%) ever goes off-road. It's marketing a fantasy. I'm so glad I'm dumping my SUV next vehicle.

When they hit the used market once they're 10+ years old that number will go up.

For proof, all you need do is look at the Lexus LX600, a bloated and expensive six-figure behemoth (the base model you'll never see is $93,915; all other trims exceed $100,000) that is the Lexus interpretation of the global 300-series Land Cruiser. A similar fate would have defined the Land Cruiser if it had adopted the 300-series and succeeded a model that already had a base price of $87,030 back in 2021

maybe don't make the base land cruiser a luxury vehicle then, which it sadly started to become in the 90s in the US. I wonder how much cheaper it could have started if they didn't make so many luxury features standard like how you can get them in other countries.

froday

Jul 29, 2018
Okay, those buttons on the dash. Why do I want that so bad now….

SOOOOO MANY BUTTONS I LOVE IT!

What sad times in car design that we cheer the existence of buttons and knobs on a dash. Hopefully I can avoid touch screen cars forever.

Now my big question is will this thing actually 4x4, or is it super watered down like most modern SUVs?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it does look great. All of Toyotas new redesigns, Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner, Land Cruiser all look sooooo good. If you are a Toyota fan or just want that amazing Toyota reliability, you have so many options.

Personally I want to add a Supra into the stable in the next few years to compliment my Tacoma and my wife's 4Runner.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
What sad times in car design that we cheer the existence of buttons and knobs on a dash. Hopefully I can avoid touch screen cars forever.

Now my big question is will this thing actually 4x4, or is it super watered down like most modern SUVs?

Its actual 4wd. The Land Cruiser Prado has shared its platform with the 4runner since the mid 90s. So if the 4runner is capable off road, this will be too.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
FYI, the article is very misleading. There are actually several cars that Toyota makes under the Land Cruiser name. The most luxurious version was sold in the US until very recently but that car still exist in other markets and it's very expensive. The LC that is coming to the US is a discount version of it. It's not the same thing.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
FYI, the article is very misleading. There are actually several cars that Toyota makes under the Land Cruiser name. The most luxurious version was sold in the US until very recently but that car still exist in other markets and it's very expensive. The LC that is coming to the US is a discount version of it. It's not the same thing.

but it does say that. Not really misleading

But it was all a ruse, a necessary step in a model realignment that Toyota's North American arm had planned all along. Instead of moving in lockstep with the rest of the world to the new 300-series Cruiser chassis, Toyota Motor North America hit pause and waited until the closely related 250-series chassis was ready. From what we now know and have experienced, the collective internet hand-wringing over the move to the so-called Land Cruiser Prado configuration (as it is known worldwide) is woefully misplaced.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Whats with the trend of companies spelling out their brand names rather than a logo

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
It was such a boneheaded decision to get rid of these this is a rich people's toy to make them look like a regular person.

Looks nice but again there are cheaper trucks out there

Det

Jul 30, 2020
That Throttle House video with the dune jump lmao. Wonder how Toyota PR will take it; simultaneously the best ad for it but also damaged their press car.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks nice other than the fact the infotainment screen isn't aligned with the air vents below which irritates me a bit.