• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So there's a space themed game sale going on on Steam this weekend, and madly, PREY, the 2017 one by Arkane, is 80% off.

Why should you give a fuck?
This game is IMHO the best modern FPS, and a/the truly worthy spiritual successor to System Shock 2.

The only knack I have against this game is that the enemies do get a bit repetitive and the ending could've been a bit better, gameplay-wise.

Besides that, the game has a pretty good story, the good ol' scavenging the environment for clues, and the classic Arkane depth when it comes to resolving NPC quests.

The game has fun inventory management, a rather non-intrusive crafting system, inventive ways to interact with the environment (GLOO gun, foam darts, etc.), and high replayability.

It's... it's just a wonderful thing. It's a gem, probably the most underrated game by an AAA publisher in this generation.

Please give it a try.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Playing it currently through gamepass. Incredible game with amazing atmosphere. The level design is incredible. So open ended on how you gain access to rooms or keys. Either through hacking, clues, vents, powers or brute force.

Most side quest feel fun pursuing as they flesh out the plot along with fun gameplay.

One major negative is all the annoying bugs that lock you out of finishing some missions (wasted hours chasing things that are supposed to be around). The game punishes you for discovering things prior to triggering a side mission or scripted event.

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It was so unfair to call it Prey. It did nothing but draw comparisons to the canceled Prey 2 and take attention away from the excellent work Arkane did.

Is this anything like the one that came out for 360?

They're both in first-person and let you hit enemies with a wrench. That's about it.

It's more like System Shock, or a more open-ended, less hand-holdy Bioshock, if you're not familiar with SS.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
How is the Mooncrash DLC? It's only $4, but I'm reading it has a time limit factor which I usually hate. I like to take my time, not feel rushed through levels.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this anything like the one that came out for 360?
Space is involved. There's no Don't Fear The Reaper at the beginning (the one true drawback from the 360 Prey really). This is all relevant information :P /s

It's completely unconnected, both in terms of story continuity and gameplay design.

It was so unfair to call it Prey. It did nothing but draw comparisons to the canceled Prey 2 and take attention away from the excellent work Arkane did.
You could say it fell prey to bethesda's business practices (I agree so fucking much)

It's a great game that fails to reach its full potential.

It's also a must play to anyone remotely interested in any aspect of it.
I still feel the potential of immersive sim stories hasn't been fully reached, and on that count I'd agree. However, it's still the most well-rounded FPS I've played when it comes to the interplay of different mechanics. Ironically the only one I might prefer to PREY in this regard might be the first System Shock, which has fail states and stuff if you do objectives incorrectly.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Counterargument: For a few dollars more you could get it on PC Game Pass, along with dozens of other games.
It's a great game that fails to reach its full potential.

It's also a must play to anyone remotely interested in any aspect of it.
This is how I felt about it. Utterly compelling, and an absolute blast to play even at its worst.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of FPS and Arkane games. But I have hard time getting into Prey. Have tried at least 3 times...

Damn using a wrench hitting 20 times to kill an alien octopus just feels so off to me...

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Prey + Mooncrash is such a unique high watermark in the last 10 years of games. $8 for both is insane. I bought both full price and don't regret a penny.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I highly recommend it on PC if you can run it as the load times get extremely long (even on a SSD) and you could use a mod that makes the game easier.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just finished it. I really enjoyed it! I need to go back and do the last ending, but I lost power and haven't gotten back to do it. The ending is mediocre, but it's a great ride!

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bought it day 1 because I've never disliked an Arkane game. I couldn't get into it for years, tried a half dozen times or more. Last year I jumped back in on a whim and it finally clicked. It's my favorite game of all time now. Don't sleep on this shit!

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I hadn't played Automata I would agree, and even then it's contentious, because as I said I believe it's at least the best modern FPS of all time, and the "modern" qualification is there because I still prefer the way System Shock 2 did some things.

Price I've been waiting for, I'll be getting now. Is the DLC worth playing?
Haven't played it myself yet (the anticipated-game-is-too-precious-to-play syndrome) but from what I hear it's extremely well designed for what it is.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it day 1 because I've never disliked an Arkane game. I couldn't get into it for years, tried a half dozen times or more. Last year I jumped back in on a whim and it finally clicked. It's my favorite game of all time now. Don't sleep on this shit!

I'm lttp on arkane stuff, I don't think prey has a great first impression so I shelved it for a while. I recently finished dishonored and really liked it so I would like to jump back in

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
My dad beat it on gamepass, for some reason the intro didn't really grab me enough to push through, kinda like gears of war 4, intro was just boring but I'm sure it picks up at some point in the game. Might give it another chance.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Also if you play it, make sure you beat it. Take it from me, this is not a game that's easy to come back to after a year away from it. I was totally lost haha

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game, one of the best 451 games out there. Mission and level design has great synergies and let me experiment and solve puzzles in dynamic ways. I am 30h into my first playthrough and already thinking about how I want to play it the next round

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
I've owned it for a while, I just don't enjoy the enemy design. Idk I'll try play it again soon, just replaying through dishonored 2 first.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I have answered one person's prayer: purchased and will play, possibly.

Cantaim yeah, there is a DRM warning on the page for Denuvo Anti-tamper