• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Prey finally passed 500K owners mark on Steam after hovering around 450K for some time.

https://steamdb.info/app/480490/graphs/

But despite reaching 900K few months ago Dishonored 2 has trouble passing that "magical" 1M mark. Game is hovering around 930K these days (every time SteamDB owner counter reaches 950K next day that number drops to 920-930K).

https://steamdb.info/app/403640/graphs/

Those are not bad results to be honest but it is sad to see those two great games not selling better.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Both are excellent games, shame they haven't done better. I'm under the impression Death of the Outsider tanked though, yeah?

I wonder how Arkane's future looks.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dishonored 2 still runs so poorly that I'm not surprised. Death of the Outsider ran great. Don't know why Dishonored 2 was never properly fixed.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame, both great games imo. Ugh.

On the one hand Bethesda deserved to suffer the consequences of their strange attempt to sidestep actual journalists and peddle "influencers" instead, but it sucks that they chose to do so on some of (what I suspect) may be the last big single player games of their kind for a while.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Both are excellent games, shame they haven't done better. I'm under the impression Death of the Outsider tanked though, yeah?

I wonder how Arkane's future looks.

DotO reached 120K so it is not that bad for Expandalone. But if we take price in consideration it should have done better.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Man that's frustrating. You can tell these guys really pour a lot of love into these games.

At least this is only on one platform though.

Nov 6, 2017
I dont understand why people dont like these genres. Deus Ex suffered the same fate. I want more Prey, Deus Ex, Dishonored any day.

JackSlate

Oct 30, 2017
Prey deserves way better then that. An utterly fantastic game that everyone should try. Hopefully it did better on console.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hot take: Bethesda games (outside of FO and ES) would, ironically, sell a lot more if they were PS4 exclusives. Bethesda marketing is so trash, but the devs are so good.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Deus Ex and DisHonored. How does Prey compare to them?

I played the demo on PS4 and it didn't click with me. I think part of it is the controls. I don't think it works with a controller.

Nov 8, 2017
Wolfenstein 2 jumped up from 200k to 260k this sale so far. Might hit 300k by the end since Steamspy's data is slightly behind.

Bethesda's non-RPG studios since 2015:

screams-internally-26cpsef.png

Oct 28, 2017
Both are great games and Arkane is a fab studio. I think Prey will have the longer legs, long-term though. It's a self-contained experience, no previous lore/understanding needed and it absolutely nails the whole horror/immersive sim in space thing. I genuinely never expected to see a game on par with System Shock II in today's gaming climate, but they absolutely nailed it. It also runs fantastically. I try to spread the word to everyone I can about it, because it really is a special game.

I hope they get a chance at a sequel, or another game in this style, because they make my absolute favourite types of games.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Prey on PC was plagued with issues in the launch window. Everything's fixed now but it was a pain to have to wait before the game didn't crash every ten minutes.

I can't even really imagine the awards season giving it a boost either, just because a lot of very good games came out this year.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's not why these games aren't selling lmao.
You should read. My response was to not understanding why people don't like these games not to why these games aren't selling. Not everyone plays everything. I don't play 1st person games at all, I don't enjoy them and I'm sure there are plenty like me.

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)
I bought Prey in steam sale, was playing it last night and it's good. The atmosphere is great and story is quite captivating, really looking forward to getting in deeper later next week.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this is bad for them or not though. I'm assuming across all platforms they both have sold over a million units, which may be all they need to break even. That might be why marketing is so non-existant. To keep budget low and make it easier to break even.

Oct 25, 2017
i need to make a thread about prey

it's the low key best *shock-like shooter of the past few years, and it don't get no damn respect

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games would sell better if Bethesda did a better market for them. And if they gave the games to the reviewers too. It's a shame that such good games are in that way because of these two motives (which aren't all of them).

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Prey deserves way better then that. An utterly fantastic game that everyone should try. Hopefully it did better on console.

been playing it for a few days on ps4 (courtesy of the current sale), & yeah, it deserves better (tho it doesn't help itself by being overly-challenging, & featuring respawning enemies). i'm kinda amazed at the trophy percentages: only a little over 4 out of ten players have stayed around long enough to even get a typhon power! :) ...

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Prey is one of my favourite games of the year and probably one of the best I've played in a while. Really loved everything about it and it's worth playing by anyone who loves exploration, sci-fi, amazing world building and choice based gameplay.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should read. My response was to not understanding why people don't like these games not to why these games aren't selling. Not everyone plays everything. I don't play 1st person games at all, I don't enjoy them and I'm sure there are plenty like me.
I'm sure there are, but you need to understand: being 1st person isn't why these games are unpopular. This isn't a more popular genre than first person shooters, excluding MOBAs. Save the snark bud

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this is bad for them or not though. I'm assuming across all platforms they both have sold over a million units, which may be all they need to break even. That might be why marketing is so non-existant. To keep budget low and make it easier to break even.

They don't make games to just break even unfortunately. We will see how will their next year output look like. But it is not like that they have much success with online games. Doom MP failed, Quake Champions buzz is almost non existent, there is also low buzz around their card game. Only MP game that had some kind of success is TES Online.

iFahadx

Oct 27, 2017
( sorry for the stupid question lol ) but anyone know why we don't have "PS4spy" ? so we will know the digital sales it least

what make it possible to track steam sales but we can't track PS4 - or xbox store sales - sales ?

LaTasse

Nov 7, 2017
Prey on PC was plagued with issues in the launch window. Everything's fixed now but it was a pain to have to wait before the game didn't crash every ten minutes

I thought Prey on PC was amazing even on day one. I played it right after its release and I did 't get any crash and the optimisation was - and still is - top notch.

Dishonored 2, well that was something else, completely on the other side of the spectrum... Death of the outsider runs pretty great surprisingly, but seeing the number of copy sold, we are not very many to know that

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Both games were plagued by performance issues so I'm not surprised they failed tbh despite being pretty well made otherwise. Prey even had a demo that still had performance problems after they fixed the main game on PS4. Great, way to sell your game, gents!...

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I thought Prey on PC was amazing even on day one. I played it right after its release and I did 't get any crash and the optimisation was - and still is - top notch.

Dishonored 2, well that was something else, completely on the other side of the spectrum... Death of the outsider runs pretty great surprisingly, but seeing the number of copy sold, we are not very many to know that

It's tough to call Death of the Outsider a failure because of how poorly Dishonored 2 did. And it's a series that REALLY relies on the player playing previous games. Even the DLC is required.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Hot take: Bethesda games (outside of FO and ES) would, ironically, sell a lot more if they were PS4 exclusives. Bethesda marketing is so trash, but the devs are so good.

Thanks to marketing push? Because, otherwise, I am not seeing how would that help. But even with the marketing push, I am not sure if these games are what mainstream player wants at full price or ever. I am sure, that in terms of Wolf: The New Colossus, it would certainly worked better the way you propose. Everyone likes to shoot things.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks to marketing push? Because, otherwise, I am not seeing how would that help. But even with the marketing push, I am not sure if these games are what mainstream player wants at full price or ever. I am sure, that in terms of Wolf: The New Colossus, it would certainly worked better the way you propose. Everyone likes to shoot things.

Nope, if anything Wolfy would've still died similar to The Order 1886. Not all games would sell more, but if a game like Horizon (which is more complex than your average shooter) can do well, there's no reason Dishonored 2, Prey, or The Evil Within 2 couldn't with Sony's marketing push.

Also, it's disengenous to ignore the fact that exclusivity does make people more hyped about games by default. It's completely irrational, but it's still true.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
( sorry for the stupid question lol ) but anyone know why we don't have "PS4spy" ? so we will know the digital sales it least

what make it possible to track steam sales but we can't track PS4 - or xbox store sales - sales ?
You partly answered your own question. Steam is purely digital so the information is more useful/interesting than knowing digital only sales when physical alternatives are unaccountable. The more basic part is that SteamSpy is reliant on pulling down users' entire game libraries from their Steam profile pages.

Nov 8, 2017
Console sales are probably not much better (if they are even better).

I don't have figures but word on the street was that Prey performed unusually well on PC in comparison to the console versions. Wolfenstein and Dishonored were more "typical" distributions between the platforms. Essentially, Prey did worse than you might think (overall) just from looking at the PC numbers alone.

In any case Prey 2 is very unlikely. They have their more successful SciFi First Person Shooter (Wolfenstein, which itself doesn't seem to be doing super great), and their more successful immersive sim (Dishonored), their Multiplayer arena shooter (Quake Champions) and their Horror series (The Evil Within). Prey is in a weird spot there, it's sort of overlapping on Wolf and Dishonored both of which are more successful. Even though it probably didn't do much worse than TEW2, it's a more likely candidate to get axed and have the studio redistributed to making new type of game (almost certainly featuring MP, although that doesn't mean it's an MP focused or exclusive game necessarily). We've had job postings to that effect from Arkane Austin.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont understand why people dont like these genres. Deus Ex suffered the same fate. I want more Prey, Deus Ex, Dishonored any day.

For my part Deus Ex lost me the minute they went all automated on us and brought in the cover system and 3rd person takedowns. They went for accessibility but ended up alienating fans.

Dishonored 2 is a near masterpiece and woefully overlooked. I'm not as enthusiastic about Prey, lack of interesting enemies and uninspired visual design bog it down a bit. It's no SS2 or Bioshock.

There is a future for these games, but I genuinely think that apart from Dishonored 2 we just haven't had a great one in a while.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Nope, if anything Wolfy would've still died similar to The Order 1886. Not all games would sell more, but if a game like Horizon (which is more complex than your average shooter) can do well, there's no reason Dishonored 2, Prey, or The Evil Within 2 couldn't with Sony's marketing push.

Also, it's disengenous to ignore the fact that exclusivity does make people more hyped about games by default. It's completely irrational, but it's still true.

I did not take into account that last sentence, because I don't feel this way at all. So from my standpoint it wasn't disingenuous, I just didn't take it into account, because like I said, I am certainly not hyped by "Only on *". But you are probably right.

I am also not sure if it's reasonable to compare Wolf with The Order, because I am sure that they are pretty different type of shooters. Also I don't think that Horizon is comparable with something like Dishonored 2, Prey, or The Evil Within 2, I think this is all speculation, because we certainly cannot know if the exclusivity deals would make those games a hit.

I feel like this SP only games from Bethesda is going to have a long legs when it comes to sales, so will see after some PR from Bethesda what are they going to say about it.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did not take into account that last sentence, because I don't feel this way at all. So from my standpoint it wasn't disingenuous, I just didn't take it into account, because like I said, I am certainly not hyped by "Only on *". But you are probably right.

I am also not sure if it's reasonable to compare Wolf with The Order, because I am sure that they are pretty different type of shooters. Also I don't think that Horizon is comparable with something like Dishonored 2, Prey, or The Evil Within 2, I think this is all speculation, because we certainly cannot know if the exclusivity deals would make those games a hit.

I feel like this SP only games from Bethesda is going to have a long legs when it comes to sales, so will see after some PR from Bethesda what are they going to say about it.
My b, I was speaking in general, not necessarily about you (about the disingenuous bit)

Also, encouraging mods could do a lot to improve the sales of Bethesda games other than ES and FO.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I bought 2 of the 3 but neither of them hooked me. Dishonored 2 on PS4 - something about the movement felt off to me. Just walking felt odd. I was looking at Dishonered 1 today and thinking I should replay that (for the 3rd time) and Deus Ex - don't know wasn't feeling it. Nothing concrete just wasn't hooked by the story I guess.

Ridebird

Nov 23, 2017
Dishonored 2, Prey and Wolfenstein 2 are all fantastic games. It's a pain to see them doing so poorly.

Dishonored 2 was never fixed, no. It has inescapable frame timing issues. I spent easily five or more hours tweaking and testing. It's not possible. It's fine if you're not nitpicky like me, after tweaking. Still one of my favorite immersive sims ever, up there with Deus Ex.

Prey falls off but the first half is brilliant and even better than Dishonored 2. If you like world building it's a must play. A warning if you just can't handle jump scares though - it has plenty early on. Repetitive, beautiful and unique is how I'd describe it. I'm certain it would've sold much better with a normal review policy.

Wolfenstein should've been released in August or postponed. It came out at the absolute worst time. Again, a shame, another fantastic game from the best AAA single player publisher in the game. I hope all these games get sequels with more marketing love and that Bethesda keep taking risks.