• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
The Game
header.jpg

Prey (2017), developed by Arkane Studios Austin, published by Bethesda Softworks.

The Problem
Prey did not sell very well at all, despite decent ratings from critics (81 on Opencritic, which is actually lower than I thought). While we don't know exact figures, SteamSpy - before Valve sabotaged it - indicated that it sold around 250k copies on Steam in its first month, fewer even than Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (~325k) and Dishonored 2 (~375k), which were labeled as commercial failures themselves. Related or not, Arkane co-founder and president Raphael Colantontio resigned shortly after Prey came out. A sequel to Prey seems very unlikely at this point.

The Cause
Here's where I start speculating as to why Prey failed to sell well. I'm personally pretty fond of Prey, and I think it's a well-made game. However, I also think it was doomed to be a commercial failure from the start.

Reasons commonly given for Prey's commercial failure
Some people assert that Prey's usage of the name previously used by the Human Head game from 2006 pissed off fans of that older game, which made them not buy this one. Well, I think there might have been some people out there who held off buying 2017's Prey for that reason, but I imagine the number being quite tiny. 2006 is a long time ago, and that game wasn't a hit with the mainstream either.

More commonly, people claim that Bethesda's marketing let the game down. Which is quite likely, I suppose, but I want to argue the problem lies deeper. It is my opinion that Bethesda couldn't market this game very well because they were 'dealt a bad hand', so to speak. I personally believe that Prey is inherently hard to market, especially to a mainstream audience.

The Premise
With the word premise I mean the idea of the game summarized in a description of a single sentence, or maybe a single picture. In an ideal world, the majority of customers would probably read multiple long and informative reviews before they'd buy a game. But I think we have to accept that this is not the case in our world, where most buyers act on their hopes and dreams, they buy into an idea, or a fantasy perhaps, of what they think the game will be like. See: No Man's Sky's commercial success.

One way you can entice buyers' minds into a positive fantasy about your game is impressive environments. Games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3 or the Assassin's Creed franchise can show screenshots or video of their massive exploreable open worlds that can make the mind wonder 'what else is out there to discover?'. Recently these tend to be colourful and inviting, helping players escape their daily lives which are usually spent in offices or locations that are even less appealing. Prey has a lot of neat little details in the space station its set on, but produces no screenshots or video of wide open spaces, ancient castles or tombs or even huge, bustling cities. Prey is mostly about functional objects and machinery, really. And while it's great how everything on Talos I feels like it has a role to play and is not just there to make the environment look pretty, there's really nothing marketable about the setting.

Protagonist
Another way to entice the buyer is to promise them to fill the boots of a recognizable protagonist. Lara Croft, Kratos and of course superheroes like Batman and Spiderman are all great for marketing a game. They don't even to be that recognizable if they let you do awesome stuff, as in the case of Rico Rodriguez from Just Cause, for whom the game world is a playground, one that is full of big explosions (that Torgue would be proud of). DOOM's protagonist is not very fleshed out, but that's not the point, his weapons are what counts. The point is that player gets to be someone they could never be in real life.

In the case of Prey, the player gets to do some cool stuff occasionally, but is usually fighting against the odds. Instead of being empowered, the player is the opposite, most of the time. Even worse is that the main character is not recognizable at all, just a generic man or woman in a space suit, as seen in the banner at the top of this post. Morgan is not voiced, customizable or even visible most of the time. And, as we've seen with the 'Cyberpunk first-person controversy', people like to see and customize their player character. In Prey, you get neither the strong character of Geralt, nor the customizable player character of Elder Scrolls games, so you're basically offered the worst of both worlds.

Enemies
Opposite the generic player character in the aforementioned Prey banner is a dark shape. This is an antagonist from Prey. It is, however, without any name or personality (that we know of). It doesn't really do cool things that could be in a trailer, either. This is no robot dinosaur from H:ZD, no huge serpent from God of War, it's a dark shape with eyes that could potentially be scary. It sure as hell doesn't have a personality that motivates you to defat them in a way the Joker or even the nazis from Wolfenstein do. The enemies in Prey aren't even scary, like something from Resident Evil or any other good horror game/franchise, really. As a self-proclaimed 'sci-fi thriller' (source: official Prey website) it makes a lot of sense to put a distinguishable villain on the cover of your game, but Prey either does not seem to have one on offer.

The Verdict
I like Prey, but I have to say it was never going to be a huge mainstream success with its premise of a generic protagonist isolated on a space station, hunted by dark shapes (without going full horror, even). Prey's key selling points are extremely abstract: well-executed gameplay mechanics, player choice, attention to detail, environmental interactivity (kudos to funyarinpa for this word) and a mysterious story for the player to explore through e-mails and voice recordings.

Prey's premise (not the execution) feels like it's stuck in 2004, trying to imitate Half-Life 2 (without Alyx) and/or System Shock (without SHODAN) over a decade later, without taking into account the fierce competition for mainstream attention in the current gaming landscape.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how Prey could've been marketed or changed to become more marketable, but please refrain from posting spoilers, thank you.

Last edited:

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I blame Bethesda, the fact that Prey, Dishonored, Wolf and Doom disappointed is no coincidence

Oct 28, 2017
Prey didn't sell well because Bethesda didn't market the game effectively and immersive sims are still somewhat of a niche genre. It has nothing to do with the quality of the game itself. Arkane set out to make a modern day System Shock 2 and they did it brilliantly. My favourite game of 2017 in fact. The DLC is great too.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
The enemies were definitely the low point. They really should have extended beyond just black shapes.

Enjoyed the game though.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I think the art design didn't help the game attract potential buyers either. It didn't really have a distinct look or aesthetic. I mean, how do you market a game where the enemies are literally just different shaped ink?

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
They chose to ride the coattails of Prey instead of Bioshock.

Neuroshock or Psychshock would have garnered a lot more attention and would have been way more appropriate/accurate title.

nuggetgamer52

Oct 25, 2017
Nice write up, don't really have anything to add since you pretty much nailed all the points. Prey was always going to be a difficult game to market as it is more of an immersive sim than a FPS, and from what I've played and seen from videos online... There's no defining"thing" for the mainstream audience to latch onto.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fully agree with your analysis and with your opinion, I'm also fond of Prey and I consider it the best akrane game.

And your conclusion makes me thing that a half life 3 without the name wouldnt work in today's market.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't think you're incorrect at all, multiple aspects of the PR and marketing is what really drove the final nail into the coffin.

Like, all the issues you describe would have been completely compensated for had Bethesda released the game to reviewers a couple of weeks in advance, giving them plenty of time to get immersed and enjoy the game to the full, without rushing to get reviews up.

Had they done this, better review scores and more awareness may have vastly helped the game.

OP
OP
Jasper

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands

Neuroshock or Psychshock would have garnered a lot more attention and would have been way more appropriate/accurate title.

Yes, Neuroshock would've been a very fitting title. However, Bioshock has Big Daddies and Prey still only has dark shapes so I think just a name change wouldn't have been enough.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway

Totally agree on this one, I wasn't really aware of the so close resemblance of a Bioshock game until I actually played it. Naming it after the old Prey games was just confusing and off putting imo.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really excited to play the demo, and came away unimpressed. It didn't look particularly good, it didn't feel good to control, and the story reminded me of the pretentious kind of thing we all grew too old for after Bioshock Infinite. I'm sure it's good enough, but there's no hook.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prey is the defacto System Shock 3. System Shock 2 sold 58,671 copies on its initial release. The original Deus Ex sold around a million copies. The fact that Human Revolution sold several million was basically a fluke, and that came home to roost with Mankind Divided. Prey 2017 would have been a massive success 18 years ago, but the cost of AAA game production has risen accordingly. Making niche games for niche audiences is very problematic if said games have high production values.

The only immersive sim that has actually been truly successful by AAA standards has been Skyrim. And that's a sort of power fantasy oriented take on the design ethos. Games like Prey are all about methodical management of resources and the environment, and mainstream audiences often find that boring. Mainstream audiences also find games like STALKER quite boring, and at some point you have to fact the fact that this genre in its purer form will never find traction with audiences that crave instant feedback and addictive gameplay loops.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They should've marketed the gameplay more. If you've played older survival horror immersive sims (a synonym of System Shock 2), Prey does a lot of great stuff that we don't see in many other games nowadays.

Prey's best aspect is its environmental interactivity, and the trailers didn't showcase that. They should've gone with slower gameplay trailers that show different ways to tackle obstacles, because even though enemy variety was sadly rather lacking, the myriad ways in which you could kill them almost made up for it.

OP
OP
Jasper

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
While I don't think you're incorrect at all, multiple aspects of the PR and marketing is what really drove the final nail into the coffin.

Like, all the issues you describe would have been completely compensated for had Bethesda released the game to reviewers a couple of weeks in advance, giving them plenty of time to get immersed and enjoy the game to the full, without rushing to get reviews up.

Had they done this, better review scores and more awareness may have vastly helped the game.

Yes, I neglected to mention the lack of early review copies. But I did address the importance of reviews, as I don't think the majority of buyers actually looks at reviews. It would've been helpful had the game reviewed a bit better, for sure.

BT-787

Oct 26, 2017
Epic OP. And this comes from someone who absolutely loved the game. I think Bethesda would have done well to borrow from Dishonored's marketing and focussed efforts on showing off the multiple ways to play in a better fashion than the #NotAMimic campaign.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Not every game has to sell 5+ million units.

Prey is an almost niche game with weird story and gameplay. It is in the same category of the nier's and nioh's of this world.
Games that if they sell above 1 million it will be a triumph.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I actually had no idea it was a spiritual System Shock successor until right after it came out. I knew it had some inspiration, but I was assuming it was just Bioshock in Space rather than a true immersive sim game until I saw positive impressions.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Prey is an almost niche game with weird story and gameplay. It is in the same category of the nier's and nioh's of this world.
Games with AAA production values are not triumphs with a million copies sold. See Alien: Isolation. It sold 2 million copies, barely made its budget back, and as a consequence any plans for a sequel were canned. They don't necessarily need to sell 5 million copies, but anything lower than 3 million is a problem. A huge part of AAA game publishing is that you need games to sell enough to cover potential failures. Wolfenstein II, Prey, Dishonored 2, and Death of the Outsider, and also The Evil Within 2 all having weak sales was a problem. The games didn't necessarily lose money, but they weren't good for Bethesda.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
An important thing to note is that it had a demo. Besides the great premise, main takeaways from that were poor shooting mechanics and horrible sound mixing. I bought Prey despite the demo, not because of it.

OP
OP
Jasper

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
They should've marketed the gameplay more. If you've played older survival horror immersive sims (a synonym of System Shock 2), Prey does a lot of great stuff that we don't see in many other games nowadays.

Prey's best aspect is its environmental interactivity, and the trailers didn't showcase that. They should've gone with slower gameplay trailers that show different ways to tackle obstacles, because even though enemy variety was sadly rather lacking, the myriad ways in which you could kill them almost made up for it.

Environmental interactivity is a great word for Prey, can I borrow it? :)

Certainly, it would be a sad world if niche games couldn't exist! While we don't know the production costs of Prey, it was likely quite expensive to make, even if it wasn't on the level of Ubisoft or Electronic Arts games.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
That cause speculation is 100% wrong.

Prey didn't sell because it is not interesting enough in a sea of FPS. It wasn't marketed correctly to make it look interesting. It doesn't look interesting in pics. It looks very generic.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I neglected to mention the lack of early review copies. But I did address the importance of reviews, as I don't think the majority of buyers actually looks at reviews. It would've been helpful had the game reviewed a bit better, for sure.
It would have made a difference in terms of awareness and hype regardless of how good the reviews would be

Also many of the reviews cited issues which are only issues if you rush your playthrough - and the only reason to rush would be not having much time to play and get a competitively timed review up

Prey didn't sell because it is not interesting enough in a sea of FPS. It wasn't marketed correctly to make it look interesting. It doesn't look interesting in pics. It looks very generic.
OP literally says that. Among several other salient points

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
For me, the Human Head game showed much more promise, in terms of it being a potential game I'd not played before, with an interesting setting, cool looking characters and an expansive SciFi open world to explore. It also had nothing to do with the original Prey game, but at least it looked interesting.

From the first reveal, the Arkane studios Prey game looked completely and entirely uninteresting to me. And this was overwhelmingly due to the enemy design:

Shadow monsters are the single most played out, most uninspired and derivative enemy design in not just the gaming medium but also books, TV and film.

Once as saw them I was completely turned off from the game. There's no meaningful way of making such an enemy design interesting. It was an extremely poor design choice that tanked the game's appeal for me and perhaps many others.

Of everything mentioned in the OP, the enemy design is by far arkane's biggest sin. All the marketing in the world isn't going to help a game with enemies with such a bloody boring design, even if they're fun to fight. Players like me who love immersive sim games, totally switched off and never stuck around to see any of that because the visual design of the enemies is so vapid and derivative.

This is really a note to all western devs, really (since Japanese devs more than often do a much better job of designing enemies who are both interesting to look at as well as being interesting to fight). Devs like From Software, CD Project Red etc.. are the leaders in the industry from this perspective.

Prey for me, is in general a great example of how poorly designed, low-effort enemy visual design can completely ruin a great game's chances at reaching a broad audience that the game's overall quality deserves.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they would prefer Arkane sell millions of copies but,
Pete Hines said:
"Yeah, it's not like we're working with Arkane and asking them to make racing or rugby games. We're like, "Look, you do really cool, immersive, system-based first-person games." Dishonored was just the evolution of the stuff that they had done previously, and now the first look you've seen at what they're doing with Prey is very similar. It's doing some things that are different and cool and unique, but at its core it's still immersive, first-person, systems-based, non-scripted stuff that encourages player exploration and making choices. And that all ties in – I think very well – with what we feel like our identity is at Bethesda."

so I think they'll be fine so long as they keep the quality up

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Prey didn't sell well because Bethesda didn't market the game effectively and immersive sims are still somewhat of a niche genre. It has nothing to do with the quality of the game itself. Arkane set out to make a modern day System Shock 2 and they did it brilliantly. My favourite game of 2017 in fact. The DLC is great too.
This. I almost passed over the game because the trailers made it look like a generic alien blaster kind of game. I mean, just look at the launch trailer

They fucked up, because Prey is absolutely my kind of game, it's the best immersive sim I've played in years, and I was going to skip it because the trailers did such a poor job representing the game that I lost interest in it. If it wasn't for the demo and user impressions, I probably wouldn't have bought it at launch

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It seemed generic in the demo too, but like generic and not particularly well made.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think the art design didn't help the game attract potential buyers either. It didn't really have a distinct look or aesthetic. I mean, how do you market a game where the enemies are literally just different shaped ink?
I actually love the enemy design. I think they're quite well designed. The cohesive enemy aesthetic made perfect sense narrative-wise and their flowing humanoid-but-not movement and shape made them feel quite imposing visually.

phantom.jpg

And Prey's setting absolutely had a visual identity. The elegant art deco-in-space mixed with industrial efficiency was very memorable

Prey_TalosI_Lobby_730x411.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Prey's problem is that the word of mouth was bad, because the core gameplay loop was not fun.

You have to work really hard to make the game fun:

Despite the wrench, you can't play it as a melee game as you could BioShock. Despite the guns, you can't play it as an FPS. Despite the turrets and so on, you can't play as a hacker. You have to play it as a weird stealthy, scroungy, puzzle-boss kind of game. Enemies weren't fun to fight, they were just annoying. I was never able to consistently kill a regular mimic without taking some damage, for example.

Not one thing in Prey was as satisfying as zapping something with electrobolt, then hitting it with the wrench.

BioShock was able to transcend the bounds of its (admitted dated) genre because of it's excellent story and fun, varied gameplay. Also BS came out 10 years ago now. But I personally wouldn't recommend Prey to anyone unless they were already super interested in this kind of game.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty out of touch with game marketing, so I don't have anything meaningful to contribute on that end, but as my personal GOTY of 2017 it was something that I didn't take much interest in based on the trailers and footage I had seen pre-release. With the mimic stuff I had seen and the typhon powers they were showing off I expected something more railroaded and boring like Bioshock. It wasn't until I saw some forum buzz shortly after launch that piqued my interest and got me to play the best immersion sim since 2000.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Environmental interactivity is a great word for Prey, can I borrow it? :)
Fire away, I probably heard it somewhere myself :*

I also think that Prey had to be an FPS. The same degree of interacting with objects and the environment is not really possible in third person.

Also, I thought that Morgan Yu is a quite good character, especially for an immersive sim, he/she has a place in the game's universe and that pays off

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
First of all, why the name "Prey"? Second of all, it was technical train wreck, at least on consoles and still is, sluggish controls, laughable long load times, audio sync issues, etc. Everything is designed to be as tedious as possible, ex: "ohh, now you have to go to the other site of the station, enjoy your 20 minutes of loading times" and no there are the times where you don't even have access to needed airlocks", in later parts of the game, you have pretty much no ammo and enemies who can blast you from the other side of the room. Flying toasters with lasers must be one of the dumbest idea in the gaming in recent years. Ohh you think you can go back to salvage some ammo from earlier part of the game, pff, there is also somewhat more enemies there, because why the fuck not. Ohh and if you go outside, you get bombarded with flying shit, which depletes your health in no time, so enjoy another half an hour loading screen, so you can die few seconds afterwards. Rinse and repeat. FUN.

I finished myself without guides both Dishonored with no alarms and no upgrades and that was hard, but fair, this was just bullshit.

Makes me want to have Prey 2 from Human Head Studios not this Arcane D-team stuff. Only one good thing, about this game was the track when you were in the helicopter. That's it.

And yes I really liked first OG Prey, that was a really good, but sadly overlooked game.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Prey's problem is that the word of mouth was bad, because the core gameplay loop was not fun.

You have to work really hard to make the game fun:

Despite the wrench, you can't play it as a melee game as you could BioShock. Despite the guns, you can't play it as an FPS. Despite the turrets and so on, you can't play as a hacker. You have to play it as a weird stealthy, scroungy, puzzle-boss kind of game. Enemies weren't fun to fight, they were just annoying. I was never able to consistently kill a regular mimic without taking some damage, for example.

Not one thing in Prey was as satisfying as zapping something with electrobolt, then hitting it with the wrench.

BioShock was able to transcend the bounds of its (admitted dated) genre because of it's excellent story and fun, varied gameplay. Also BS came out 10 years ago now. But I personally wouldn't recommend Prey to anyone unless they were already super interested in this kind of game.
That's part of the game's strength though. That you have to approach encounters like tactical puzzles, using the tools at hand to improvise and overcome. That you have to mix all your skills and abilities together instead of just focusing on one approach encourages more experimentation as a "weird stealthy, scroungy, puzzle", like you said.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I personally think the biggest ball was dropped with the reveal trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q38yi0NmAm0

The Groundhog Day aspect of reliving your day is interesting, but the "gameplay" sections make it look like a typical shooter. It does nothing to hammer home the element of complete freedom and choice. You often only get one shot to make a first impression, and I think it fell flat out of the gate.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally think the biggest ball was dropped with the reveal trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q38yi0NmAm0

The Groundhog Day aspect of reliving your day is interesting, but the "gameplay" sections make it look like a typical shooter. It does nothing to hammer home the element of complete freedom and choice. You often only get one shot to make a first impression, and I think it fell flat out of the gate.
As Ion Storm discovered when playtesting the original Deus Ex, a large number of players dislike the kind of freedom this genre offers. The paralysis of choice. A lot of players struggle with branching storylines in an RPG because the complexity and second guessing is discomforting to them. With something like Prey, that level of choice is applied to the game as a whole, where there is no right or wrong way to play the game. No set standard to conform to. I'm reminded of the problem you find in the stealth genre where some players resent the game allowing them to play however they want, because unless the game has a rigid set of rules they don't feel fulfilled because their choices are not validated as correct by the game's design. These games are designed so that you exert your personal style onto a flexible mechanical foundation. This is very different to "make your own fun" games like Minecraft, for instance. Because there are consequences.

The basic problem here is that games like Prey are forced to try and trick players who wouldn't normally touch this style of game into buying them because the audience for what this game actually is sadly isn't large enough. Hitman has faced this problem. There's an audience that loves the freedom and flexibility of Hitman, myself included. But a lot of people in the mainstream find the games obtuse and boring, and also too flexible.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
That's part of the game's strength though. That you have to approach encounters like tactical puzzles, using the tools at hand to improvise and overcome. That you have to mix all your skills and abilities together instead of just focusing on one approach encourages more experimentation as a "weird stealthy, scroungy, puzzle", like you said.

You say that's a strength but in reality it's a weakness when it comes to the topic of this thread. What you're describing is an extemely niche style of gameplay.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
a terrible, almost unplayable demo released on the most popular hardware certainly didn't help either. i didn't pick the game up until it was PRO-patched and they fixed the abysmal input lag...by the time they had it was ÂŁ10 in bargain bins...

the game itself was pretty good though. i just hated the respawning enemies and the horrible load times which got even more noticeable towards the end because you have to go through so many areas very quickly. the nightmare enemy was just a poorly conceived test in patience too. either fight it and waste precious ammo. or avoid it (which was painfully easy to do anyway) and sit in a corner for 3 minutes until it fucks off. i'd rather it wasn't in the game at all tbh.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
In the end I think it's marketing and maybe a bit of chance. Yeah, it's true games like this have a more limited audience than mainstream stuff like COD but that didn't stop Bioshock from getting 3 successful entries in the genre with the big talk and hype over it even though it did less than games from a decade before at the time. More or less complex or deep or whatever than Prey doesn't really matter, it's close enough, the marketing team should have been able to get more people to lap it up, had they been given the means for it at least. As for changing the game to make it more appealing, well, then it wouldn't be Prey. Now suggesting improvements like some half-hearted late game parts or the inventory and stuff is another matter (and probably wouldn't change much either had the core of the game remained the same, which is the point).

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prey is an interesting example of how games are financially obliged to have console ports but... console ports aren't always the best idea. Particularly console ports of technologically ambitious CryEngine titles. At least not Day 1 console ports. Homefront: The Revolution, Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, Prey, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance were all games that suffered in public perception because they had console ports that ranged from "okay" to "barely functional". It just so happens that the most popular console on the market is also the one with the CryEngine input latency problems. And let's not forget that all those games suffered from long load times on consoles. The PC versions were largely... okay as far as load times went, but if your console ports have long load times that's gonna be the public perception because consoles are popular.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy immersive sims and played the demo...then immediately lost all interest. I recently picked it up in a sale and will give it a shot, but it seemed a bit of a mess at launch.
It wasn't a mess, on PC at least. Game run great on my old system. So many peeps here calling Prey generic looking, i can't even... It has the best art design from 2017. Talos 1 is hands down the most well designed space station i have seen in a game. They really paid attention to detail and tried to let the station appear like a place where people actually lived. You see the wear and tear. So often in games the surroundings are too clean, like they have been freshly built. I don't know why Prey didn't sell well, but it looking generic is certainly not the reason. Game has an unique look to it.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Selling your games at 60, when ur game is clearly not worth full prize, and to make it worst, have a 50% sale after 1 month..hell no, Im not buying a single Bethesda game day1 anymore.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Selling your games at 60, when ur game is clearly not worth full prize, and to make it worst, have a 50% sale after 1 month..hell no, Im not buying a single Bethesda game day1 anymore.
How does that reply to the OP's premise? That's just your personal opinion and stance, clearly tons of Bethesda games sell great even when Prey didn't so your opinion of Bethesda and its games and even Prey itself that you present here simply can't be the reason for its lack of success... Or did you just need any random thread to vent your frustrations and found this?

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I completely disagree with the notion that Prey would've sold more if it was 3rd person and had character customization and am frankly annoyed this meme is even still brought up. Your other points make more sense wnd I'm sad the game didn't sell better, but I wouldnt want the game to change its soul to sell more and end up like a Dead Space 3.