• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
PlayStation-5_PS5_LOGO_Offiziell.jpg
During the company's third quarter earnings call on Tuesday, senior EVP and CFO Totoki was asked how the company intends to achieve his stated aim of a "smooth transition" to the next console generation.

The questioner asked which factors Sony can control, such as marketing and development costs, and what the invisible elements are that make things tricky.

"First, we must absolutely control the labour cost, the personnel cost, it must be controlled," Totoki said. "And the initial ramp up, how much can we prepare initially, we will work on the production and the sales and we will have to prepare the right volume as we launch this.

"What is not very clear or visible is because we are competing in the space, so it's very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this point of time, and depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy and how much costs we are prepared to pay.

"So it's a question of balance," Totoki continued, "and because it's a balancing act it's very difficult to say anything concrete at this point of time, but when I said smooth transition, we mean that we will definitely choose the optimal approach and that we will try to have the best balance so that we will be profitable in the life, during the life of this product."

Nov 3, 2017
So they're gonna try and undercut them enough that the (alleged) power difference should be less on (general, not enthusiast) consumer minds

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Once Microsoft announces it to be $499, Sony will announce PS5 to be $489

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Console will be priced competitively so hard know to without knowing what our competitors are charging.......no shit. Not really news

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I think Sony built so much brand and good will this gen they can set whatever price they want as long at it isn't above 499 and it will sell.

Mar 23, 2018
Considering Xbox One was $100 MORE and had a bad lead up to launch, PS5 better at least equal Series X price if it's going to be graphically worse (even if just a bit)

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bit odd that they are dependant upon a different company to get this ball rolling. You'd assume they'd be in a strong position to stick whatever price they want on there? Surely they don't expect MS to sell the X2 for 399?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
You could read the comments a couple of ways. Not necessarily that the pricing hasn't been decided yet, but just that they don't want to disclose it yet because they're working in a competitive context.

The certainty of the headline isn't quite backed by the comments IMO.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
So they're playing the « Who is going lose the most money per console sold » at launch.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I expect nothing less than 499$. If MS does 549$ PS could respond with 499$... but would it be enough? Or could they just keep the same price?
Costing less is not always the best decision on a public vision of the product.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me assume it will be a bit weaker then the XSX even though I already thought that was gonna happen anyways

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
launch day in the stores, both consoles are on shelves, console reps from both sides standing furtively next to their respective consoles, bunches of price tags clutched in their hands. the xbox series x rep moves to put the price next to the console and so the playstation rep shuffles into motion, sorting through their price tags expectantly, but then the xbox rep halts, it was a fake out. the two reps go back to silent waiting and observation, wondering who will crack first.

skip forward 3 years, the date is 2023 and still neither console has a price, both companies playing the long game.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not necessarily price.

When you buy a console you typically get the machine, cables and 1 Joypad.

Sony could bundle:
A game or games
1 year PSN/PSNow or both combined
2 Joypads
The New Camera
Combinations of the above.

Beyond that it could also be about SKUs and storage.
Have a higher storage tier at the Same price and the lower tier 50 or 100 Euro lower.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
As i was expecting. Even if Sony does a conference in February / March, we're getting something a few weeks after E3. That conference will be to counter whatever MS has for E3, likely the price as well. They kinda did that in 2013 as well right? Or did MS also revealed the Xbox price at E3?

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be $500. I expect the series X to be more expensive than that

As i was expecting. Even if Sony does a conference in February / March, we're getting something a few weeks after E3. That conference will be to counter whatever MS has for E3, likely the price as well. They kinda did that in 2013 as well right? Or did MS also revealed the Xbox price at E3?
They both revealed the price at E3, but MS's press conference was first so it added to Sony's mic drop press conference

I personally think if MS didn't reveal the price First Sony would have announced it later

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long is it's between 399-450 dolllars, they'll win next gen easily. Not sure about 499 onwards.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
You could read the comments a couple of ways. Not necessarily that the pricing hasn't been decided yet, but just that they don't want to disclose it yet because they're working in a competitive context.

The certainty of the headline isn't quite backed by the comments IMO.

Yeah that's how I read it too.
Not that they are waiting for Series X price to make their decision, which would be weird as they have to focus on their own BOM anyway.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The article tries to make the claim that's made in the thread title, but then never delivers any evidence that anyone at Sony even said or hinted at that.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's kind of clickbait. The article never mentions Microsoft or Xbox.

Sony says they are "competing in the space". Maybe they're talking about Nintendo? It's extremely vague.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
This is going to get real interesting really fast. It's clear Sony is planning to undercut the X no matter what the official price will be.

MS is likely trying to position their consoles so that there's enough distance between the two to make them both attractive. Too much distance and PS5 undercuts then both.

A $300 Lockhart and a $600 X are going to have a rough time against a $400-$450 PS5. Conversely a $500 X and a $300 Lockhart gets weird and a $500 X and $200 Lockhart seems like too much in losses.

Oct 25, 2017
So it's a game of chicken then. My money's on MS bailing and announcing the price first...at three minutes to midnight launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol now anyone can assume which console will be strong or weaker based on vague pricing comments is kinda funny.

The Ps5 could easily be priced the same as the next Xbox. This also doesn't mean they don't have a price in mind. It's just they won't disclose it. They y'all about certain promotions. Hell they could bundle a game etc.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If I were Microsoft I would now hold back the price as long as humanly possible. Sony obviously wants to replicate the same situation as last gen when the PS4 had much more good press and goodwill due to the lower price (and no DRM).

The less time Sony has to react, the better. They'll have to set a price someday.