• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Thread making privileges suspended: Cavalier approach to sensitive thread creation
As a preface, forgive me for not saying this during June. I thought Nintendo had put this on their Twitter, but they haven't and I'm here to set the record straight.

So everyone remembers about two months ago when some Nintendo of America employees went to a pride parade in Seattle, right? They were even holding a Nintendo banner - surely this meant a bold new era for Nintendo in celebrating this wonderful month of remembering how people should unapologetically be themselves!

Article - Nintendo Takes Part in the Seattle Pride Parade 2019

However, something I noticed. I can't link this because there's no way for me to link a whole month of tweets, but just check for yourself. Do you see any tweet by @NintendoAmerica mentioning this parade, or Pride Month in general?

It's not like the Nintendo Twitter accounts shy away from celebrating other holidays - there's been several tweets this June about Father's Day, such as this one:

So what am I saying?
I'm saying that, if I'm assembling these puzzle pieces together, that Nintendo is ashamed of being a Proud company.
They don't want people to look on their Twitter and see them openly celebrating Pride Month.
This pride parade is almost a smokescreen - Nintendo wants to be seen as Proud by a small niche of people who Pride Month affects (the LGBT community), but they won't openly and Proudly admit on their main social media pages that they support the LGBT acceptance movement.

If I'm right, this is a dirty, duplicitous move. Shame on you, Nintendo. You cowardly refused to be known across the internet and world as the company that supported the LGBT community. You thought that this parade would satisfy us, but you refused to honestly tell people that you were in it. You said "I do not know the queer!"

I think I'll add in a few Bible verses that show exactly how since Nintendo has denied us inside the Internet, we should deny them inside our hearts.

32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

OldLogos

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't go so far as to say their afraid of being a proud company. Their position is like a lot of companies - adjacent and limited engagement.

Xbudz

Oct 27, 2017
As a gay male, I can't say this bothers me in the slightest. Seems like you're digging for something to be outraged about.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Companies only care about pride month insofar as they can capitalize on consumers for it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm right, this is a dirty, duplicitous move. Shame on you, Nintendo. You cowardly refused to be known across the internet and world as the company that supported the LGBT community. You thought that this parade would satisfy us, but you refused to honestly tell people that you were in it. You said "I do not know the queer!"

I think I'll add in a few Bible verses that show exactly how since Nintendo has denied us inside the Internet, we should deny them inside our hearts.
This kind of thing just reads like some kind of agenda. Totally takes away from the point you were trying to make.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Just for comparison's sake.. what PlayStation/Xbox twitter accounts say/did for Pride Month?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I see tons of people complaining about companies participating in Pride month because it's an empty gesture, so this is a great counterpoint to show.. hmm.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I sort of compare Disney and Nintendo often, as I think they target the same demographics in a lot of ways and I think hold similar meanings to people. I also see overlap in the fans. As far as I know, Disney did not tweet about Pride Month either, though I'm sure they have internal LGBT groups, they celebrate being rated highly as an LGBT-friendly company, they have many LGBT employees, they increasingly include LGBT content in their products, etc. This only provides context, however, and not a justification. Perhaps we should expect both Disney and Nintendo to tweet about it.

My personal opinion is that I'm indifferent. I'm more invested in seeing LGBT content in their games than on their social media channels. As long as the company is supporting its queer employees, I don't mind if they don't tweet about it. There are other historical months that I would like Nintendo to tweet about as well if they were to start being active in that way.

But I also don't put much significance on Nintendo letting its employees march in the Seattle Pride Parade. It's a pretty minimal thing in my book, given how Seattle Pride Parade is. So I guess I don't feel like there's any deception going on.

Last edited:

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
companies that do pride month celebrations only do so to up their sales and couldn't give less of a shit about the rights of the people they're celebrating. Marching in a parade is more legitimate than a tweet.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Why is a tweet the sole determining factor here? It's not exactly a secret that Nintendo had a presence at the pride march.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Companies only care about pride month insofar as they can capitalize on consumers for it.

I really can't stand these types of replies. Companies consist of people. People care about these issues. Therefore, companies care issues. Sure, companies benefit from the positive PR generated by a Pride, but claiming that that's all there is to it, is disrectful to the employees.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I sort of compare Disney and Nintendo often, as I think they target the same demographics in a lot of ways and I think hold similar meanings to people. I also see overlap in the fans. As far as I know, Disney did not tweet about Pride Month either, though I'm sure they have internal LGBT groups, they celebrate being rated highly as an LGBT-friendly company, they have many LGBT employees, etc. This only provides context, however, and not a justification. Perhaps we should expect both Disney and Nintendo to tweet about it.

I would agree that I see Nintendo and Disney in the same light however Disney is not afraid to push LGBT topics. At Disney World they have pride ears, pins, shirts, lanyards, etc. Disney officially calls them, "the rainbow collection" but it's pretty obvious it's LGBT pride related since they release all of it in June.

Disneyland Paris actually had a Pride Night private event last year with a pride parade, meet and greets with characters in Pride attire, and decorating the Tower of Terror in rainbow lights.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Something about publicly displaying a banner at a parade expressing your support.. yet somehow simultaneously being "ashamed" of it seems incompatible to me. It sounds like shades of "if you don't constantly post pictures with me online and tag me in all of them, are we really friends/going out?"

I'm not LGBTQ+, but this kind of allyship that isn't draped in a multimedia marketing campaign is kind of refreshing too. Any support is good support IMO, at least I can't tell what the threshold for supporting but not being embarrassed about it is.. or what you're really getting at, OP. I also slightly feel like this is a troll thread but I'm not sure.

Nintendo is an aggressively apolitical company.
Also, this. I'm not discounting the possibility that the employees took it upon themselves and it wasn't an officially organized thing.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I mean this sucks, but I wouldn't personally read too much into it. Nintendo is an aggressively apolitical company.

Framing civil rights for LGBT folks as "political" is a huge part of the problem. It makes it sound like a simple difference of opinion, when in any other context that would be incredibly insulting. Is letting women drive a legitimate political issue? Is denying housing based on race something politicians should decide? The answer in each case should be a resounding NO, these are fundamental human rights in our society. The answer should be no different for celebrating love between consenting adults regardless of gender, and respecting the gender identity asserted by an individual over some arbitrary decision at birth.

Companies that continue to pander to oppressors by accepting theirs as a worthy perspective are complicit in the culture of hate. Inaction is a choice, of course, but it's subject to scrutiny and criticism like any other.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Historically, Nintendo is the worst of the big 3 in regards to LGBTQ representation in general, whether it be in their products or on their social media pages.

It's a shame, and I hope they get better, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd fight harder for in-game stuff than things like this.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I really can't stand these types of replies. Companies consist of people. People care about these issues. Therefore, companies care issues. Sure, companies benefit from the positive PR generated by a Pride, but claiming that that's all there is to it, is disrectful to the employees.

Companies aren't people. Nintendo's actions speak louder than the words of a few employees.

Framing civil rights for LGBT folks as "political" is a huge part of the problem. It makes it sound like a simple difference of opinion, when in any other context that would be incredibly insulting. Is letting women drive a legitimate political issue? Is denying housing based on race something politicians should decide? The answer in each case should be a resounding NO, these are fundamental human rights in our society. The answer should be no different for celebrating love between consenting adults regardless of gender, and respecting the gender identity asserted by an individual over some arbitrary decision at birth.

Companies that continue to pander to oppressors by accepting theirs as a worthy perspective are complicit in the culture of hate. Inaction is a choice, of course, but it's subject to scrutiny and criticism like any other.

I would argue the vast majority of politics is composed of liberating people who do not have fundamental human rights.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Up front I would guess that their presence in the parade was employee motivated/lead, rather than an official company initiative, so that's probably the reason for the apparent dichotomy. Regardless, their lack of acknowledgement/celebration on the main account is rather sad, particularly considering how good Sony is about it.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
outrage culture is really getting out of hand
+_d4a9c30c51877b367c03f5260fc80b7c.jpg

This is kinda a reach tho...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So I did a quick check and PlayStation did post on Twitter about the parade. Did Nintendo seriously not post shit at all? Like AT ALL? For real? Damn...

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

I mean yes LGBT should have the same rights as everyone. I'm a gay guy myself. But it is most definitely a political issue and that's not something that will be changing soon. Nobody is arguing women shouldn't vote but that was a huge political issue in the early 1900's.

Status
Not open for further replies.