• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-11-09-prima-games-shutting-down-report

Yet another long-running staple of print gaming media is being pulled. EGM Now is reporting today that strategy guide imprint Prima Games will halt operations by next spring.

EGM Now reports that employees at Prima offices in New York, Indianapolis, and Roseville, California will be impacted by the closure. Roseville is expected to close this month, with some Indianapolis employees continuing to work until March. (The company is currently taking preorders for a number of upcoming digital and print guides for games, the furthest out of which appears to be next February's guide for Anthem.)

Prima is where I got my start writing more than twenty years ago. RIP.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sad to see them go.

They're not neccesary anymore when you can buy things like treasure maps and XP bossters in game.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Their guides were great. Still holding on to my Super Mario Sunshine guide and City of Villains binder

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
RIP, I've bought so many of their guides over the years, first one being Dynasty Warriors 2 lol. But man did their quality go down the shitter in the last decade, Brady Games blew them out of the water when it came to detail and info in their guides until they got merged

Mar 18, 2018
Wait, what?! Truly, end of an era. It may not be surprising as even the patch updates changes game significantly, but still. Liked to have some reading about the game.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised at all honestly when you can watch YouTube before a games released and see everything half the time, or a day or two later.

Hopefully everyone has plenty of time to find new work.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sad stuff indeed. I never bought many guides (I always viewed them as too spoilery for my taste), but the few Prima Guides I was gifted over the years were extremely high quality.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
it's always a shame when places shut down but with prima i'm surprised it took this long with their guides a lot of the time having some sort of errors like in the pretty expensive FF guides or straight up telling you to just use youtube in the Dark Souls 3 guide

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
If anything I'm surprised they lasted this long. I've still got some of their guides lying around, but the internet has largely made them obsolete.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
That's sad to hear. I've been seeing that logo in stores for most of my life. They had a good run.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to hear. Haven't bought a strategy guide in several gens though.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, end of an era for sure. Although the writing was on the wall for this, sooner or later. Hope everyone affected will land on their feet soon.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
In the era of GaaS games, printed guides are useless. And i am not talking just about MP games. SP games are getting new content for long time.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It makes sense, I am surprised they have not shut down sooner. But it is sad because I have so much nostalgia for reading their guides on the car ride home getting me pumped to play the game I got.

Hollywood Pescado

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Surprised they lasted this long. You can find guides/walkthroughs and video walkthroughs online for free.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's too bad. I always liked written strategy guides because I could actually find the information I needed in them. That's next to impossible today. Like, I have a question that can be answered in a sentence or less, but no, I have to watch a goddamn YouTube video with a 30 second long overly animated intro, some YouTube "personality" spending another odd minute trying to be my friend and asking me to like/subscribe/donate to his channel, and then God knows how much more time on superfluous shit before I finally get my answer, assuming I ever do.

End of an era indeed.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
With the biggest games becoming more of a live game that keeps constantly updated, it's hard to stay as a printed magazine. Hopefully this isn't too surprising for the staff and all affected are prepared.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Sad to see them go. I have bought many, many of their guides.

In this digital age, I actually find myself more drawn to guides than ever before - they become the one physical momento I have of the experience. I enjoyed reading their guides as a kind of travelogue, even well after the playthrough.

Hoping for the best for the staff.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Sad times. What with this, GamesMaster and GamesTM magazines all closing, it definitely seems like the days of gaming print media is numbered. I honestly can't see EDGE lasting much longer either.

These days, with DLC, GaaS and patches, the guides are almost outdated as soon as they're printed.

Last edited:

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I really hope we get one last Kingdom Hearts guide out of them with 3 :(

I have the guides for pretty much every KH game that they made one for and I don't think I want that to be incomplete.

I loved their stuff as a kid and have loved guides more and more as I've grown up, it's a sad shame to see them go.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised they lasted this long while having to compete with the likes of GameFAQS and Youtube. Hopefully everyone losing their job lands on their feet.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had an older gentleman who came into the store I worked at and would buy game guides to put the pages into binders so he could flip them easily while playing games. He was a sweet old guy so I know this news will probably devastate him.

I hope the people losing their jobs land on their feet ;A;

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Still cherish my N64 Prima Guides I kept. Sad to see them go but am thankful for their work over the many years.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm surprised they even survived last generation.
I'm surprised they survived the launch of GameFAQs.

Even if I haven't bought one in years, I used to enjoy their guides. I have a handful for some all-time favourite games, and some of them are really comprehensive, with info that I've never found online.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I loved the digital guides so I could use it with my iPad while playing a game. Having a guide book folded down all the time and flipping pages was annoying.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that sucks.
Some of the guides i bought when i was a kid were amazing, with interviews with the dev or filled with little jokes to make it funnier to read.
They did great work.