• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
this remake is slowly turning into vaporware

they must be overhauling it entirely or something. the footage we saw looked...oof.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Yeah, covid and the overall reaction probably set production back quite a bit.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they seem to be getting the time to give the game its necessary overhaul. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets quietly cancelled though.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
The game ended up in the same folder as Skulls & Bones, BGE2 and the consequences of the reports of the toxic management within the company.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Well the remake did look rough, so no surprises here. Maybe they can use the time to remake the whole trilogy in one game.

Oct 27, 2017

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Oct 26, 2017
A game announced 9 months ago not making an appearance after they announced a delay due to feedback from a country ravaged with COVID isn't vaporizer.

It's been 9 months.

The game was scheduled for January 2021 and is clearly being completely reworked.

Obviously India's horrible public health situation isn't helping whatsoever, but it's clear Ubisoft wanted to push out a shovelware remake (the game literally did not have a functioning lighting system when revealed) and only backed off when the response online was so negative.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a good thing, Ubisoft can take the financial hit, the devs get more time (and hopefully no crunch) to make it look great. Plus anything to keep 'em out of the office right now is probably best.

Seaweed

alt account
Banned
May 27, 2021
The trailer looked fine as it was. People were being too hyperbolic and toxic about it. Made it the butt of all jokes. Graphics may not be AAA but it was never terrible. 'Tis a small team and it's their first big project.

More power to the team and screw the haters.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The game was scheduled for January 2021 and is clearly being completely reworked.

Obviously India's horrible public health situation isn't helping whatsoever, but it's clear Ubisoft wanted to push out a shovelware remake (the game literally did not have a functioning lighting system when revealed) and only backed off when the response online was so negative.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. I was replying to the idea that it's vaporware after 9 months.

Oct 30, 2017
A game announced 9 months ago not making an appearance after they announced a delay due to feedback from a country ravaged with COVID isn't vaporware.

It's been 9 months.
it's been in development far longer than what you're suggesting.

and i'm saying that it seems to be turning into vaporware because it's made zero appearances and has been delayed well over a year.

Oct 30, 2017
I find this a great news, they are taking their time with the Remake of this very beloved classic... this gets my hopes up and excited because they are taking this more seriously with all the crucial feedback.

Next time when you show us this game, let it be a pleasant surprise :-)

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wish they trusted the team to make a reboot

A remake is such a boring project, and if the visuals are not gonna be that great then why not just remaster the OG game properly this time?

Who out there is clamouring for games they loved as a kid to be remade with budget graphics?

"We want a Beyond Good and Evil remake and we want it to look kind of naff and low budget"

These people don't exist

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Take your time. The initial showing was a bit of a mess, I hope they've given it deeper developer support. The Covid impact is undeniable for every work team is some way, so no rush.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
They should take their time obviously, but this was unveiled as a pretty standard, no-frills remake.

I wonder if something went wrong during development or they are planning on changing a bunch? Obviously COVID messed things up as well but it doesn't seem like the most ambitious project.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Hopefully they're safe. Keep them away from the hate, too. It's super unnecessary. Let them show the game when it's ready.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Still don't understand why this game need a third remake. Just make something fresh and new. I liked 2008 for actually innovating a bit. Did it work out perfectly? Hell no, but it felt so much more interesting to play compared to the aptly named Forgotten Sands.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I didn't even think the reveal looked bad at all. It wasn't incredible but it looked fine for a $40 update and I was still excited to play it. I guess this is still win-win as long as the final product turns out good. I'm in no rush for it.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
They should take their time obviously, but this was unveiled as a pretty standard, no-frills remake.

I wonder if something went wrong during development or they are planning on changing a bunch? Obviously COVID messed things up as well but it doesn't seem like the most ambitious project.

It's a young studio that was probably given an unrealistic timeline for a huge project initially (I believe it's one their first projects), which backfired with the poorly received reveal.

All of that combined with the current impact of covid on India, preparing a vertical slice or a trailer for an E3 showing is probably not a priority for the team right now.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Still don't understand why this game need a third remake. Just make something fresh and new. I liked 2008 for actually innovating a bit. Did it work out perfectly? Hell no, but it felt so much more interesting to play compared to the aptly named Forgotten Sands.
2008 was a whole new game though, not a remake of SOT. Also forgotten sands is actually a pretty nice game, though I agree ends up more forgettable than the rest of the series. Looks amazing 4k60 on PC too

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
We're not getting anything from Ubisoft for Switch but Mario+ Rabbis 2 and Just Dance, aren't we. Switch's biggest third party supporter my ass.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Very interested in seeing what the game will look like now. Anytime a game is delayed it's usually related to bugs, gameplay systems not working, it not being fun etc.
In this case however it seems entirely related to the graphics, all the groundwork of the game is after all already there since it's a remake, so I imagine the main focus is now entirely on prettying this game up.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
At this point I think it's safe to assume the PoP remake pulled a Metroid Prime 4 ie deleted everything cause it was bad and started over

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
COVID but also this game looked ass and they probably realized releasing in that state would be a disaster.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The studio is in India isn't it? I imagine they're going through some challenges right now...

It's not just COVID.

They greenlit a PoP Remake with a low budget and they assigned the project to a mobile/support Ubisoft studio with close to no "AAA" experience.

This is like Rockstar India working on a GTA 3 Remake with 1/20 of GTA 5 budget.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
They have probably put some other studios to help in the background at this point which is good because what was shown looked really bad.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game looks nothing like what they showed last year. Take all the time you need.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Think they really needed a bigger budget and more time in the oven, so I'm glad they are taking the time to fix it up. Hopefully it turns out well. I really want to play a nice new version of this game.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Game reveal + Covid.

Take your time. I'd rather nothing than something bad, specially for this IP.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
All these takes about it being Vapoware or Skull and Bones 2 etc

So much crow to be fed